South China/West Philippine Sea

We have exercises with the US, China has exercises with the Russians.

On GMA today a UP Pol Sci professor was saying how during the Marcos years, China was more belligerent than it is today. The professor said that China had put up a lighthouse which Marcos then blew up. But today, because there is no way we will ever have a military advantage and an arms race doesn't make sense, the fight must be brought elsewhere (and not brought to the realm of cyberspace either). China's tactic regarding its borders is the same on land apparently, with her building highways in Indian territory. Our opportunity lies in the reality that she has much to lose on the international stage, and ultimately much to lose economically if she is perceived to be flexing her muscles this way. We also have a good environmental argument to make, when Chinese fishermen destroy coral, that can't be good for either side, so obviously we are in the right to protest fishing practices that are prohibited in marine environment protection treaties. So while we may have lost in the short run, if we play our diplomatic cards right, we can come out better in the mid and long term.

On GMA today a UP Pol Sci professor was saying how during the Marcos years, China was more belligerent than it is today. The professor said that China had put up a lighthouse which Marcos then blew up. But today, because there is no way we will ever have a military advantage and an arms race doesn't make sense, the fight must be brought elsewhere (and not brought to the realm of cyberspace either). China's tactic regarding its borders is the same on land apparently, with her building highways in Indian territory. Our opportunity lies in the reality that she has much to lose on the international stage, and ultimately much to lose economically if she is perceived to be flexing her muscles this way. We also have a good environmental argument to make, when Chinese fishermen destroy coral, that can't be good for either side, so obviously we are in the right to protest fishing practices that are prohibited in marine environment protection treaties. So while we may have lost in the short run, if we play our diplomatic cards right, we can come out better in the mid and long term.

actually we were already talking about it a few ago when when the whole thing happened again.... one of the moves the GRP i think should do is bring Greenpeace and the other tree huggers here and present a complete "Killer" Powerpoint presentation when pics of what we usually confiscate from them ChiCom "Fishermen"...

china fully knows that it is more for them to lose if they go to war against us. Uncle Sam is on our side. without Uncle Sam's support to the PH, China would have attacked us already.

so, let us ask ourselves, what's keeping them from firing the first shot?

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/30110/recto-bank-natural-gas-reserves-bigger-than-those-in-malampaya----doe

Recto Bank natural gas reserves bigger than those in Malampaya -- DoE

I wouldn't be surprised if somehow the Chicoms approach the UN again with another "ANCIENT MAP" on hand claiming that PALAWAN "HISTORICALLY" belongs to China! hehehehehehehehe....

Tignan ko lang tapang nyo kay Hagedorn! hahahahahahaha!

Edited by heatseeker0714

I wonder why the Chinese are using ancient maps as an excuse to claim areas. This is just plain stupidity considering that a lot of countries today were historically part of other countries as well.

their stupidity is being backed up by advanced military hardware, what about ours?

I'm just saying that it's plain stupidity that they are resorting to ancient maps to back up their claim.

Coz of their mindset maybe??? "if we don't get that legally, we'll get that by hook or by crook" or they'll just wanna delay the rightful governments taking control of their respective areas so long that said militarily weak governments (i.e. Philippines) would just share with them the resources in a "JOINT" venture so that they can get a piece of the pie coz the weaker government really needs the resources right away...

china fully knows that it is more for them to lose if they go to war against us. Uncle Sam is on our side. without Uncle Sam's support to the PH, China would have attacked us already.

the free market system? the largest manufacturer in the world cannot afford to shoot its customers :P

Edited by dungeonbaby

I really can't say if it's really their mindset but the use of ancient maps to back up their claim is absolutely ridiculous. Now, if we would agree to a joint venture with the Chinese for oil-sharing, Aquino should bargain that China should be the one to do the drilling using Chinese equipment and personnel. The share should be 60-40 in favor of RP and the Chinese should pay for royalties. Of course, this is assuming that the international tribunal would decide in our favor under the UNCLOS.

according to a dfa primer, one of the ways a country can claim a territory is to show historical ownership of said territory. of course this must be compounded with other things, like sustained occupancy, hence China's use of ancient maps AND structures built on reefs.

the free market system? the largest manufacturer in the world cannot afford to k*ll its customers :P

surely, it will be much better for their "business" to occupy scarborough shoal, not to mention that war is also business.

as to being a customer or market, i dont think the PH will qualify as an important customer for the chinese.

i say gather all our ships,aging ang "new",,ask also those boats that are being used by the milf and mnlf and other lf's..unite under a common enemy,,then let the chinese have it,,when they retaliate,,they will be called a bully,international bodies will condemn them,and will make or propose action against china.Even the getlest of being will bite if it is being pushed to hard..i say its time to bite..

Yes, Uncle Sam might be on our side. In fact he wants China to resolve sea dispute through peaceful dialogue. He wants to talk about bilateral trade and investment agreement with Juan Dela Cruz etc. But not to get involved in any conflict between China and Philippines. rolleyes.gif

I see. Just a question, does this supersede the UNCLOS?

definitely not in my very biased filipino opinion.

does China see it as superseding the UNCLOS? yes. scarborough shoal is within our exclusive economic zone, but for obvious reasons where two countries are close to one another, the eez isn't always an eezy thing to enforce (sorry, i couldn't resist).

in short, the two sides have overlapping claims. but what do you do when China isn't interested in international arbitration?

Edited by dungeonbaby