Back To The 70's

There was an Alemars in Fiesta Carnival across RusTan's Cubao. It closed down in the mid-80s. Alemars was started by Dr. Ernesto Sibal as Centralbooks in 1945. He was a member of the board of regents of UP College of Law and ran his store as lawbook publisher and seller. It was his son, Jose A. Sibal, who inherited the bookstore and change the name to Alemars.

• 2 weeks later...

What I clearly remember about the 70's was how easy it was to park. Parking areas weren't covered and there were a lot of places one could park in the old Makati Commercial Center free of charge. I get to relive those times whenever I visit the US. Parking areas in the suburbs in the US are like what Makati parking areas used to look like in the 70's. Today Makati parking space resemble the parking spaces in large American cities such as New York City.

The once suburban Makati has become a full blown metropolis and the new suburban areas can be found in places such as Sta. Rosa, Laguna.

• 2 weeks later...

During the 70s, Alemars was located in that small arcade along Ayala Avenue, beside Rizal Theater. During the early 1980s, it moved to what is now known as Glorietta 3 (back then, it was called the North Mall) right beside the first McDonald's store in Makati. I seem to recall Alemars went out of business sometime in the mid-(or late-)1980s.

My mistake: Goodwill Bookstore pala yung nasa Ayala North Mall (not Alemar's). 30 years can make one's memory fuzzy.

PBA superstars back in the 1970's included Sonny Jaworski, Francis Arnaiz, Fortunato Co, Jr., Abet Guidaben, Ramon Fernandez, Jun Papa, Danny Florencio, Rudolph Kutch, William Adornado, Mike Bilbao, Larry Mumar, Philip Cezar, Abe King, Jimmy Mariano, Yoyong Martirez, Johnny Abarrientos, Jesse Sullano, and many others whose names now escapes me.

I remember open space parking lots which were free to the public. Parking in the '70s wasn't a problem. There were very few vehicles vis-a-vis the number of available parking slots, especially at the Makati Commercial Center (now called the Ayala Center)

http://nostalgiamani...-once-knew.html

If I recall correctly, this all changed after Landmark was constructed in the 1980's. Prior to that, traffic in the Makati area was relatively light.

For fans of Uncle Bob Stewart, here's a clip from the final version of his evening musical show, Uncle Bob & Friends (sorry, its a clip from 1983/84)

The clip features the puppet Pancho (from the 1970s Lucky Seven Club show and partner of the other Lucky Seven Club puppet, Spanky the elephant) and pianist Joselito Pascual:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGtNxyBRqJw

In the second clip, we see that Uncle Bob can be quite a flirt (with piano prodigy Rowena Arrieta) at 0:29 to 0:39:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9xfTOgOuJI

For fans of Uncle Bob Stewart, here's a clip from the final version of his evening musical show, Uncle Bob & Friends (sorry, its a clip from 1983/84)

The clip features the puppet Pancho (from the 1970s Lucky Seven Club show and partner of the other Lucky Seven Club puppet, Spanky the elephant) and pianist Joselito Pascual:

In the second clip, we see that Uncle Bob can be quite a flirt (with piano prodigy Rowena Arrieta) at 0:29 to 0:39:

I miss Uncle Bob. He was a truly good man and great with kids. I regret never showing up at the Channel 7 tv station despite repeated invitations to attend his Uncle Bob's Luck 7 Club tv show.

I will always associate Bob Stewart with my childhood. May he RIP.

anybody here remember the gma 7 staion id in the 70s "where you belong"? been trying to search it on youtube. some channel 7 shows i used to watch before.

love boat

SWAT

starsky & hutch

charlie's angels

CHIPS

night rider

Yup, arguably the best station jingle in Philippine history. Goes like this: "This, this is where you belong, my friend. Come along with me, and I'll share the world with you. This is where you belong, my friend. Come along, my friend. Our world is your world is where you belong. Where you belong, my friend."

Love Boat was shown on Wed night at 8PM. Starsky & Hutch on Fri night at 7. Charlie's Angels at 8PM on Sundays. CHiPS on Monday at 8PM, Knight Rider at 8:30PM on Wednesdays. SWAT wasn't shown on GMA though, as this was aired instead on BBC 2.

Yup, arguably the best station jingle in Philippine history. Goes like this: "This, this is where you belong, my friend. Come along with me, and I'll share the world with you. This is where you belong, my friend. Come along, my friend. Our world is your world is where you belong. Where you belong, my friend."

Love Boat was shown on Wed night at 8PM. Starsky & Hutch on Fri night at 7. Charlie's Angels at 8PM on Sundays. CHiPS on Monday at 8PM, Knight Rider at 8:30PM on Wednesdays. SWAT wasn't shown on GMA though, as this was aired instead on BBC 2.

wow!!! good memory my friend. oh my bad...i thought SWAT was shown on 7...nonetheless during the 70s channel 7 was my favorite. can't quite remember but were threes company and mork & mindly also shown on 7? damn...those programs :)

wow!!! good memory my friend. oh my bad...i thought SWAT was shown on 7...nonetheless during the 70s channel 7 was my favorite. can't quite remember but were threes company and mork & mindly also shown on 7? damn...those programs :)

Many of these programs are still available on DVD in the US. I have collected quite a number of old classic tv programs from the 60's and 70's including Hawaii 5-0, Combat, Soap, Rich Man, Poor Man, Roots, Taxi, The Streets of San Francisco, Chips, etc. I also have other tv series from the 80's like Miami Vice, The A Team, etc.

Many of these programs are still available on DVD in the US. I have collected quite a number of old classic tv programs from the 60's and 70's including Hawaii 5-0, Combat, Soap, Rich Man, Poor Man, Roots, Taxi, The Streets of San Francisco, Chips, etc. I also have other tv series from the 80's like Miami Vice, The A Team, etc.

wow!!! precious collection you have there...priceless. combat? yeah...i also remember that. vic morrow if my memory serves me right. i also remember there was this program "battle of the network stars" (?) wherein stars of abc, cbs and nbc play against each other. sayang panoorin :)

Yes, Mork & Mindy was aired on Sundays at 8PM on GMA. Three's Company came in around 9PM. I think "The Benny Hill Show" came in between the two programs at one point.

Battle of the Network Stars was aired on RPN9. The first version featured team captains Gabe Kaplan (Welcome Back, Kotter) for ABC, Telly Savalas (Kojak) for CBS, and Robert Conrad (Baa Baa Black Sleep) for NBC. I remember that particular episode when Conrad felt his NBC team was getting cheated and dared ABC's Kaplan to an obstacle course race. Kaplan won handily though, embarrassing Conrad in the process.

The Battle of the Network Stars was always special to watch because I looked forward to the swimming and kayak competitions that saw the celebrities coming out in skimpy and see through swimsuits. Another favorite was the dunk-the-celebrity game where the opposing team would hurl a baseball to a target and if it hits, the celebrity will fall to a bowl of water. Celebrities like Catherine Bach (Dukes of Hazzard), Heather Locklear (TJ Hooker), Suzanne Sommers (Three's Company), and Heather Thomas (The Fall Guy) were some of those who got dunked. Similarly, ABC was always the favorite, especially when Scott Baio (Charles in Charge) was with the team. Baio was practically unbeaten in the obstacle race and once held the record for the fastest time. It was only when Mark Harmon (Flamingo Road) of NBC came in that Baio's record was severely challenged.

anybody here remember the gma 7 staion id in the 70s "where you belong"? been trying to search it on youtube.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but what might be considered as classic station ID jingles in our country were not really original/exclusive to our stations. These were canned materials produced by American production companies and made available for American or international stations who may wish to use them. American production companies like TM Century produced and sold these materials as-is or customized to fit the station's branding.

"Where You Belong" (for WTVQ 36 Lexington, Kentucky):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMP4VpcfdPY

"Rhythm of the City" (for 2UE 954 kHz Sydney, Australia):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHt6BFSMWws

These two memorable jingles were produced in 1979/1980.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry to burst your bubble, but what might be considered as classic station ID jingles in our country were not really original/exclusive to our stations. These were canned materials produced by American production companies and made available for American or international stations who may wish to use them. American production companies like TM Century produced and sold these materials as-is or customized to fit the station's branding.

"Where You Belong" (for WTVQ 36 Lexington, Kentucky):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMP4VpcfdPY

"Rhythm of the City" (for 2UE 954 kHz Sydney, Australia):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHt6BFSMWws

These two memorable jingles were produced in 1979/1980.

No bubble was burst, Mutt. I'm actually very familiar with production companies like JAM, TM, and others. JAM did the past jingles of KISS-FM taken from KIIS-FM Los Angeles) and ZOO 101.9 (taken from Z100 New York) while TM Century, c/o then RT station manager Mike Pedero, was tasked to do Rhythm of the City. It's not even a trade secret that GMA's "Where You Belong" jingle was penned overseas as there was no direct referral or insinuation that this was locally produced. The early 80's DWLS-FM radio jingle (The Best Music) was taken from the top Chicago radio station WLS-FM.

The opinion on GMA's "best jingle ever in PHL history" remains as there was no specific mention that this should be locally done. BBC 2 (City 2 in particular), also had its own jingle package done in the United States back in the early 80's but this pales in comparison to the WYB plug. In the same breath that RT's ROTC jingle package remains the gold standard among all radio jingles aired in the Philippines.

Thanks for the clips though. Unlike you, I'm not good in researching via the net and only base things from what I remembered while growing up...

Edited by the_sentinel

No bubble was burst, Mutt. I'm actually very familiar with production companies like JAM, TM, and others. JAM did the past jingles of KISS-FM taken from KIIS-FM Los Angeles) and ZOO 101.9 (taken from Z100 New York) while TM Century, c/o then RT station manager Mike Pedero, was tasked to do Rhythm of the City. It's not even a trade secret that GMA's "Where You Belong" jingle was penned overseas as there was no direct referral or insinuation that this was locally produced. The early 80's DWLS-FM radio jingle (The Best Music) was taken from the top Chicago radio station WLS-FM.

The opinion on GMA's "best jingle ever in PHL history" remains as there was no specific mention that this should be locally done. BBC 2 (City 2 in particular), also had its own jingle package done in the United States back in the early 80's but this pales in comparison to the WYB plug. In the same breath that RT's ROTC jingle package remains the gold standard among all radio jingles aired in the Philippines.

Thanks for the clips though. Unlike you, I'm not good in researching via the net and only base things from what I remembered while growing up...

Its good to have knowledgeable ones like you to expand on my previous input. Its also good that there are clips like these available to help old geezers like me relive those memorable jingles we grew up with.

Mike Pedero! The old RT! Yeah! :)

Edited by muttley

Battle of the Network Stars was aired on RPN9. The first version featured team captains Gabe Kaplan (Welcome Back, Kotter) for ABC, Telly Savalas (Kojak) for CBS, and Robert Conrad (Baa Baa Black Sleep) for NBC. I remember that particular episode when Conrad felt his NBC team was getting cheated and dared ABC's Kaplan to an obstacle course race. Kaplan won handily though, embarrassing Conrad in the process.

The Battle of the Network Stars was always special to watch because I looked forward to the swimming and kayak competitions that saw the celebrities coming out in skimpy and see through swimsuits. Another favorite was the dunk-the-celebrity game where the opposing team would hurl a baseball to a target and if it hits, the celebrity will fall to a bowl of water. Celebrities like Catherine Bach (Dukes of Hazzard), Heather Locklear (TJ Hooker), Suzanne Sommers (Three's Company), and Heather Thomas (The Fall Guy) were some of those who got dunked. Similarly, ABC was always the favorite, especially when Scott Baio (Charles in Charge) was with the team. Baio was practically unbeaten in the obstacle race and once held the record for the fastest time. It was only when Mark Harmon (Flamingo Road) of NBC came in that Baio's record was severely challenged.

oh yes...i still remember those sexy chics being dunked tsk tsk tsk such a nice tv program to watch. i also remember watching "gilligan's island" and "man from atlantis" (?)...the man with the webbed feet. if i'm not mistaken the latter tv show was only short-lived. and who could ever forget lynda carter of the wonder woman program. wow!!! those..... ;)