Back To The 70's

• 2 weeks later...

The fastest time it took me to drive from the corner of EDSA-Ortigas to EDSA-Ayala was about 4 minutes. I was in a Mitsubishi Galant modified with a cam 3, twin 45 carburetors, and headers. Must have been doing a minimum of 130 kph on tight spots of EDSA and up to 180 kph on the wider segments. This was in the early hours of the morning when there were no cars on the road. Unlike now when there are cars all hours of the day.

This was in back in 1978. My Galant was a 1977 model. Those were the days. I wonder how long my V6 Toyota Camry which has almost 300 hp can make that same distance going flat out if there were no cars on EDSA. I could probably do that in about 3 minutes of less. I've done over 210 kph on that car but ran out of road. I think the car was still building up speed when I had to slow down because the road was about to end.

The fastest time it took me to drive from the corner of EDSA-Ortigas to EDSA-Ayala was about 4 minutes. I was in a Mitsubishi Galant modified with a cam 3, twin 45 carburetors, and headers. Must have been doing a minimum of 130 kph on tight spots of EDSA and up to 180 kph on the wider segments. This was in the early hours of the morning when there were no cars on the road. Unlike now when there are cars all hours of the day.

This was in back in 1978. My Galant was a 1977 model. Those were the days. I wonder how long my V6 Toyota Camry which has almost 300 hp can make that same distance going flat out if there were no cars on EDSA. I could probably do that in about 3 minutes of less. I've done over 210 kph on that car but ran out of road. I think the car was still building up speed when I had to slow down because the road was about to end.

Man, you're lucky to be alive. I had some friends who got into terrible accidents along EDSA in the 70s. One lost an eye while another had a metal brace implanted into his leg.

Today, traveling at those speeds is virtually impossible what with all the slow-moving vehicles and erratic drivers along EDSA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, you're lucky to be alive. I had some friends who got into terrible accidents along EDSA in the 70s. One lost an eye while another had a metal brace implanted into his leg.

Today, traveling at those speeds is virtually impossible what with all the slow-moving vehicles and erratic drivers along EDSA.

Yeah, whenever I think back on those days, it makes me smile. So carefree, willing to take a lot of dangerous risks, always looking for fun. That was a lifetime ago....

• 1 month later...

Listening to The Cruzettes at the Manila Hotel TAP ROOM.

Or Bong Penera at the Hyatt Bar.

We produced a show at the Meralco Theater featuring THE MUSIC MAKING MACHINE of Gary Lising, emceed by Maan Hontiveros. I remember Gary Lising was a gag writer for the comedian Bob Hope. He together with Ariel Ureta, Nanette Inventor aka Donya Buding, Mitch Valdez were the high brow comedy act of that era.

• 1 month later...

I was born in the 70's but was too young to know what was really going on at that time. Except, of course, for the cartoons. :unsure:

Btw, I am doing a paper on the broadcast industry during this era (70's/martial law). I would just like to know if there is anyone who can help me out and describe the industry situation at that time, especially in terms of news and public affairs. I would really appreciate all the help. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...