Back To The 70's

True...I remember in the late 70's there was a one-on-one competition between two of the most celebrated jai-alai stars in the country - Manu versus Oyazabal - two players of Spanish descent. Betting was also being conducted featuring three-digit numbers that won four-digit figures (which was big at that time). The results came out daily in the major broadsheets back then.

Question: does anyone here remember the soda brands Fress Gusto and Teem?

I remember Fress Gusto and Teem.

Here's the 1975 Fress Gusto commercial featuring a very young Gary Valenciano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTVmDxJxC90

How about Blenda butter? Francis Arnaiz, former PBA star of Toyota Tamaraws, was the main endorser in the commercial.

"Sa Blenda ang sarap. Sa Blenda ang ligaya. Sa bawat kagat, ligaya ang sarap!"

Fress Gusto, a Coke product distributed by SMC, became my favorite softdrink back then, supplanting Royal Tru Orange and Royal Lem-O-Lime. I used to buy an 8oz bottle in school at 25 centavos, but you get back the 10 centavos if you return the bottle. That means it's only 15 centavos back then. Thereafter, sometime in the early 80's, soda was dispensed in plastic bags with straw so that the bottle would stay with the retailer.

Teem was a Pepsi product that competed with Lem-O-Lime. Since our school was locked into Coke products, I only got to taste this at home when the family would try different types of soda from the nearby sari-sari store. It was good, but lacked the spirit that Lem-O-Lime had or, later on, Mello Yello.

Speaking of the nearby sari-sari store, I used to buy 3 pcs of Choc-Nut for 10 centavos. A perfect comfort food, especially in the afternoon coming home from school. My penchant though was to grind the Choc-Nut in a small cup with a spoon, making it powdery, and then scooped it up with the spoon and into my mouth. Simple joys...

Robert Jaworski endorsed Cerveza Negra back then, a great choice as the dark beer brand built a macho image that suited the Big J. Jaworski also endorsed the Toyota Macho for the same reason. The leading beer brand remained to be the Pale Pilsen but SMC released Gold Eagle Beer to cater to the provincial workers (farmers and fishermen) in the early 80's to counteract the entry of Beer Hausen, produced by Lucio Tan's Asia Brewery, Inc. Since Beer Hausen was sold at a peso lower (introductory price IIRC, was P2.50 compared to Pale's P3.50) than Pale Pilsen so SMC counteracted by launching the Gold Eagle brand and put Pale Pilsen in a pedestal where it didn't have to compete with any other brand. Later on, in 1987, Asia Brewery released "Carlsberg" - advertised as "probably the best beer in the world."

Cigarette brands were also abundant back then. PX stores made a killing selling imported brands like Kent, Pall Mall, Salem, Dunhill, Peter Stuyvesant (later to be released locally for a year), among others. Foreign brands produced locally were Marlboro, Philip Morris and Winston. Hope and More were local brands manufactured by Lucio Tan's Fortune Tobacco.

• Like (+1) 1

it was probably The Beatles Hair Pomade. it was, indeed, making waves of slimy, shiny hair among men, older men in particular.

I haven't heard of the word "pomade" in decades. I used to use this product called Tancho Tique Stick in the early 70s. I think this was a type of pomade.

Fress Gusto, a Coke product distributed by SMC, became my favorite softdrink back then, supplanting Royal Tru Orange and Royal Lem-O-Lime. I used to buy an 8oz bottle in school at 25 centavos, but you get back the 10 centavos if you return the bottle. That means it's only 15 centavos back then. Thereafter, sometime in the early 80's, soda was dispensed in plastic bags with straw so that the bottle would stay with the retailer.

Teem was a Pepsi product that competed with Lem-O-Lime. Since our school was locked into Coke products, I only got to taste this at home when the family would try different types of soda from the nearby sari-sari store. It was good, but lacked the spirit that Lem-O-Lime had or, later on, Mello Yello.

Speaking of the nearby sari-sari store, I used to buy 3 pcs of Choc-Nut for 10 centavos. A perfect comfort food, especially in the afternoon coming home from school. My penchant though was to grind the Choc-Nut in a small cup with a spoon, making it powdery, and then scooped it up with the spoon and into my mouth. Simple joys...

Robert Jaworski endorsed Cerveza Negra back then, a great choice as the dark beer brand built a macho image that suited the Big J. Jaworski also endorsed the Toyota Macho for the same reason. The leading beer brand remained to be the Pale Pilsen but SMC released Gold Eagle Beer to cater to the provincial workers (farmers and fishermen) in the early 80's to counteract the entry of Beer Hausen, produced by Lucio Tan's Asia Brewery, Inc. Since Beer Hausen was sold at a peso lower (introductory price IIRC, was P2.50 compared to Pale's P3.50) than Pale Pilsen so SMC counteracted by launching the Gold Eagle brand and put Pale Pilsen in a pedestal where it didn't have to compete with any other brand. Later on, in 1987, Asia Brewery released "Carlsberg" - advertised as "probably the best beer in the world."

Cigarette brands were also abundant back then. PX stores made a killing selling imported brands like Kent, Pall Mall, Salem, Dunhill, Peter Stuyvesant (later to be released locally for a year), among others. Foreign brands produced locally were Marlboro, Philip Morris and Winston. Hope and More were local brands manufactured by Lucio Tan's Fortune Tobacco.

Also had small sari sari store.. i remember the choco vim (bottled choco milk), alhambra (black cigarette), siba vino (liquor)

• 1 month later...