Back To The 70's

One of my favorite comedies from the 1970s was WKRP in Cincinnati. Others include Benson, Soap, Three's Company, Love, American Style, The Love Boat, That's my Mama, and Taxi.

WKRP In Cincinnati was shown on GMA7 every late Sundays at around 10PM if I'm not mistaken. Their Sundays were quite loaded, starting with the Muppet Show at 7:30PM, Mork & Mindy at 8PM, The Benny Hill Show at 8:30PM, Three's Company at 9PM, among others. Although I believe much of these shows were already aired in the early 80's. Charlie's Angels was aired also on Sundays at 8PM just before Penthouse 7 starring Archie Lacson.

GMA7 also had the drama series, "Rich Man, Poor Man" while RPN brought in "Roots." In the 80's, drama shows like Falcon Crest, Knots Landing (both with GMA) and Dallas (RPN) were aired.

One of the first movies I saw back in the 70's was "The Towering Inferno," a film that featured Steve McQueen, Paul Newman and Faye Dunaway. Other memorable movies, apart from the more popular ones like Saturday Night Fever and Grease, were Orca and Cassandra Crossing, two movies that starred the late Richard Harris. The immortal "One On One" that starred Robby Benson and Annette O' Toole with a very popular song as part of the soundtrack - Seals & Crofts' My Fair Share, also etched my mind. But a very memorable one was "Jesus of Nazareth" that starred Robert Powell. I saw this movie, together with my entire family of 9 siblings and my 2 parents, at a packed Remar Theater in Cubao. We had to sit on the front row floor because there were no available seats remaining - this despite the fact that the movie was shown on a Holy Week. After, we all had our dinner at the Alfredo's Steakhouse along Tomas Morato, the same venue where I celebrated my 10th birthday.

Such wonderful memories...

WKRP In Cincinnati was shown on GMA7 every late Sundays at around 10PM if I'm not mistaken. Their Sundays were quite loaded, starting with the Muppet Show at 7:30PM, Mork & Mindy at 8PM, The Benny Hill Show at 8:30PM, Three's Company at 9PM, among others. Although I believe much of these shows were already aired in the early 80's. Charlie's Angels was aired also on Sundays at 8PM just before Penthouse 7 starring Archie Lacson.

GMA7 also had the drama series, "Rich Man, Poor Man" while RPN brought in "Roots." In the 80's, drama shows like Falcon Crest, Knots Landing (both with GMA) and Dallas (RPN) were aired.

One of the first movies I saw back in the 70's was "The Towering Inferno," a film that featured Steve McQueen, Paul Newman and Faye Dunaway. Other memorable movies, apart from the more popular ones like Saturday Night Fever and Grease, were Orca and Cassandra Crossing, two movies that starred the late Richard Harris. The immortal "One On One" that starred Robby Benson and Annette O' Toole with a very popular song as part of the soundtrack - Seals & Crofts' My Fair Share, also etched my mind. But a very memorable one was "Jesus of Nazareth" that starred Robert Powell. I saw this movie, together with my entire family of 9 siblings and my 2 parents, at a packed Remar Theater in Cubao. We had to sit on the front row floor because there were no available seats remaining - this despite the fact that the movie was shown on a Holy Week. After, we all had our dinner at the Alfredo's Steakhouse along Tomas Morato, the same venue where I celebrated my 10th birthday.

Such wonderful memories...

Imagine you could get all these American programs off the air with your aerial antenna. Nowadays, all programming targets the masses. The upper and middle classes need to get cable to watch their favorite American movies, comedies, and popular television series.

Before portable cassette tapes became popular in the 1970's vehicle sound systems used 8-track players.

Plus the quality sound of tape reels. I remember our family owning a tape reel player and it produced one of the finest quality sound you can ever lay your ears on.

http://www.d.umn.edu/~mharvey/th1551tascam4track.jpg

Plus the quality sound of tape reels. I remember our family owning a tape reel player and it produced one of the finest quality sound you can ever lay your ears on.

http://www.d.umn.edu/~mharvey/th1551tascam4track.jpg

Not to mention vinyl records played on a high-end turntable, amplifier, and speaker systems. These reproduced more realistic sound IMO than cd's which had a "sanitized" sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Cable television didn't exist in the 1970s in the Philippines. We were limited to Channels 2, 4, 7, 9, and 13. All VHF channels were accessed off the air through aerial antennas. Most programming came from the United States. The largest television one could buy at that time was 19 to 20 inches. One had to actually go to the television and change channels by turning a knob. Volume control was similarly controlled by a knob.

Remote controls for the most part didn't exist in the Philippines in the 1970s. There were crude remotes that didn't work with infra-red but rather through inaudible sound which controlled the volume, channel, and on/off switch.

We've gone a long way since those times. Today, one can buy a 100" screen where you can watch high definition content on 3-D. Programming comes form different parts of the world. And there's so much more variety today.

Where present day Landmark stands, there used to be a small quiet mall called Maranaw. First thing you saw as you entered were two escalators, one going up, the other down. It had just two floors. On the second floor there was a sporting goods store (can't remember the name) where my mom used to buy me air rifles for Christmas and my birthday. As I recall it was owned by some Chinese proprietor whom I saw many, many years later at Makati Cinema Square where she was working.

At the ground floor of Maranaw were a store that sold stereo equipment, a store selling textiles, and another one selling rugs (Tai Ping rugs???)

Whenever I entered the mall, I was usually the only customer inside. There were more store people than customers.

Opposite Maranaw was the old Makati Supermarket. BTW Maranaw even had its own open air parking which could accommodate only a dozen or so cars. And yet, I never had problems parking there.

I really miss the old Makati Commercial Center (now called Ayala Center) of the 1960's and 1970's.

Where present day Landmark stands, there used to be a small quiet mall called Maranaw. First thing you saw as you entered were two escalators, one going up, the other down. It had just two floors. On the second floor there was a sporting goods store (can't remember the name) where my mom used to buy me air rifles for Christmas and my birthday. As I recall it was owned by some Chinese proprietor whom I saw many, many years later at Makati Cinema Square where she was working.

At the ground floor of Maranaw were a store that sold stereo equipment, a store selling textiles, and another one selling rugs (Tai Ping rugs???)

Whenever I entered the mall, I was usually the only customer inside. There were more store people than customers.

Opposite Maranaw was the old Makati Supermarket. BTW Maranaw even had its own open air parking which could accommodate only a dozen or so cars. And yet, I never had problems parking there.

I really miss the old Makati Commercial Center (now called Ayala Center) of the 1960's and 1970's.

Whenever I visit the United States, particularly small towns in New Jersey, I'm reminded of what Makati used to be like in the 1970's. The parking layout in small towns is similar to that of Makati in the 1970's. Also there's no problem finding parking in establishments in these small towns. I get the feeling of space, something I don't feel here in Metro Manila because there are just too many people and too many buildings.

All correspondences (except those sent through telegrams) were personally handwritten and could take 2-3 weeks to reach the intended recipient overseas and another 2-3 weeks for the person who sent the original message to get a reply.

In the 70's, the closest thing to being "on line" was making a telephone call and talking to the other party in real time. This was limited to voice only.

All correspondences (except those sent through telegrams) were personally handwritten and could take 2-3 weeks to reach the intended recipient overseas and another 2-3 weeks for the person who sent the original message to get a reply.

In the 70's, the closest thing to being "on line" was making a telephone call and talking to the other party in real time. This was limited to voice only.

Yup, I recall dialling "109" if you want a long-distance call to be made within the Philippines (Laguna and Bulacan were already considered "long-distance") and "108" for overseas calls. PLDT was the only telephone network back then and everything had to go through the operator.

The red pay phones where you're supposed to insert 3 pieces of 10-centavo coins (later increased to 4 and later on went up to 3 25-centavo coins) in the slot to allow a 5-minute call. What was fascinating was that when you exceed the allocated time limit, the call just simply got cut off. Otherwise, you had to drop a couple more coins to extend the call.

http://img.antiquesreporter.com.au/100817CLME/478.jpg

At home, the black rotary phones dominated the length of the 70's. Phones back then bore only 6 digits. We had two lines back then - one with a party line (611045) and one that was a single line (626131) but that was because the second was declared as a business phone because of our family business of selling Early Warning Devices (EWD's).

http://www.chicagonow.com/mars-venus-game/files/2013/11/rotary-phone.jpg

This was the EWD that we were selling at a price, if I recall it right, at P250 per pair.

http://cdn10.olx.ph/20140224174621-e1c7a5e17dd1adb9c9503e120d11c88f.jpg

Yup, I recall dialling "109" if you want a long-distance call to be made within the Philippines (Laguna and Bulacan were already considered "long-distance") and "108" for overseas calls. PLDT was the only telephone network back then and everything had to go through the operator.

The red pay phones where you're supposed to insert 3 pieces of 10-centavo coins (later increased to 4 and later on went up to 3 25-centavo coins) in the slot to allow a 5-minute call. What was fascinating was that when you exceed the allocated time limit, the call just simply got cut off. Otherwise, you had to drop a couple more coins to extend the call.

http://img.antiquesreporter.com.au/100817CLME/478.jpg

At home, the black rotary phones dominated the length of the 70's. Phones back then bore only 6 digits. We had two lines back then - one with a party line (611045) and one that was a single line (626131) but that was because the second was declared as a business phone because of our family business of selling Early Warning Devices (EWD's).

http://www.chicagonow.com/mars-venus-game/files/2013/11/rotary-phone.jpg

This was the EWD that we were selling at a price, if I recall it right, at P250 per pair.

http://cdn10.olx.ph/20140224174621-e1c7a5e17dd1adb9c9503e120d11c88f.jpg

The 108 and 109 numbers which used to pass through an operator was replaced by NDD/IDD (National Direct Distance Dialing/International Direct Distance Dialing). I don't know how PLDT makes money off these services given today's new technologies (Viber, Magic Jack, WeChat, Facetime, Hangouts, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, Skype, etc., which are all free of charge.) Not to mention competition coming from Sun Cellular and Globe Telecom.

mid to late70s, jai alai was very prominent

True...I remember in the late 70's there was a one-on-one competition between two of the most celebrated jai-alai stars in the country - Manu versus Oyazabal - two players of Spanish descent. Betting was also being conducted featuring three-digit numbers that won four-digit figures (which was big at that time). The results came out daily in the major broadsheets back then.

Question: does anyone here remember the soda brands Fress Gusto and Teem? http://chezkie.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/fress-gusto-ad-78-sf1.jpg

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/171028621572_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

True...I remember in the late 70's there was a one-on-one competition between two of the most celebrated jai-alai stars in the country - Manu versus Oyazabal - two players of Spanish descent. Betting was also being conducted featuring three-digit numbers that won four-digit figures (which was big at that time). The results came out daily in the major broadsheets back then.

Question: does anyone here remember the soda brands Fress Gusto and Teem? http://chezkie.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/fress-gusto-ad-78-sf1.jpg

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/171028621572_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

I don't remember Teem. But I remember Fress Gusto. Gary Valenciano was still a young child when he endorsed this on tv.