Back To The 70's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1976 PBA Team Rosters

Apr

Crispa Redmanizers / Denims

William Adornado, Cristino Calilan, David Cezar, Philip Cezar, Fortunato Co, Jr, Virgilio Dela Cruz, Gregorio Dionisio (Acquired from Quasar), Bernie Fabiosa, Reynaldo Franco, Alberto Guidaben, Freddie Hubalde, Rey Pages, Rodolfo Soriano, Tito Varela. Imports: Cyrus Mann, Bill Bunton. Coach: Baby Dalupan.

Toyota Tamaraws

Fort Acuna, Francis Arnaiz, Orlando Bauzon, Aurelio Clarino, Gil Cortez, Ramon Fernandez, Robert Jaworski, Rolando Marcelo, Joaquin Rojas, Rodolfo Segura, Elias Tolentino. Imports: Byron Jones, Howard Smith. Coach: Dante Silverio.

Tanduay Distillery

Zito Bacon, Rene Canent, Benjamin Cleofas, Ricardo Cleofas, Valerio Delos Santos, Alberto Gutierrez, Cesar Ijares, Horacio Moreno, Quirino Salazar, Marte Samson, David Supnet, Rey Vallejo. Imports: Bill Bozeat, Timmy Hirten. Coach: Bobby Littaua

Second Conference acquisitions: Miguel Bilbao, Freddie Webb. (Bacon and Vallejo moved to Fiberlite).

N-Rich Coffee Makers

Noli Aldanese, Cesar Arpilleda, Sunny Co, Carlito Cruz, Danilo De Guzman, Reynaldo De Vera, Arthur Herrera, Lucio Lim, Ruben Pablo, Danilo Pribhdas, Johnny Revilla, Florendo Ritualo, Loreto Tolentino, Tomasito Tolentino, Oscar Tuazon. Coach: Fely Fajardo, replaced by Jing Aldanese in the 2nd conference.

Royal Tru-Orange

Bienvenido Alenton, Maximino Baguio, Santiago Capa, Worley Cuevas, Ernesto Estrada, Rosalio Martirez, Alejandrito Miego, Manny Paner, Manuel Pineda, David Regullano, Norberto Rivera, Wilfredo Velasco. Imports: Carl Bird, Otis Johnson. Coach: Ignacio Ramos.

7-Up Uncolas

Jacinto Chua, Ernesto De Leon, Orlando Delos Santos, Alfredo Del Rosario, Alfredo Enriquez, Cecilio Marcelino, Rafael Morales, Larry Mumar, Romulo Palijo, Carlos Rodriguez, Cristino Reynoso, Jess Sta.Maria. Imports: Billy Harris, Harry Rogers. Coach: Lauro Mumar.

Acquisitions in the second conference (From Quasar): Ramon Lucindo, Jimmy Mariano, Roberto Salonga. (Marcelino and Sta.Maria moved to Fiberlite).

U-Tex Wranglers

Danilo Basilan, Roehl Deles, Danny Florencio, Romeo Frank, Edgardo Gomez, Rudy Hines, Rudolf Kutch, George Lizares, Jaime Otazu, Ricardo Pineda, Arturo Valenzona, Roberto Victorino. Imports: Lee Haven, Dan Knight. Coach: Narciso Bernardo.

Acquisitions in the second conference (From Quasar): Romualdo Cabading, Roy Deles, Lim Eng Beng, Jaime Noblezada.

Quasar TV Makers / Fiberlite

First Conference lineup: Edward Camus, Romualdo Cabading, Roy Deles, Gregorio Dionisio, Jesus Dungo, Francisco Henares, Lim Eng Beng, Ramon Lucindo, Jimmy Mariano, Dennis Mendoza, Alfonso Mora, Jaime Noblezada, Cisco Oliver, Roberto Salonga. Coach: Tito Eduque.

Second Conference lineup (Team was known as Fiberlite Fiberglass Makers under new coach Nilo Verona): Zito Bacon, Edward Camus, Jesus Dungo, Francisco Henares, Pepito Malanay, Cecilio Marcelino, Dennis Mendoza, Alfonso Mora, Cisco Oliver, Jess Sta.Maria, Rey Vallejo.

Noritake Porcelain Makers / Festivals

Eusebio Adolfo, Reynaldo Alcantara, Mark Ariolla, Lucrecio Dacula, Mariano Figuracion, Hubert Filipinas, Albert Manalo, Samson Van Nery, Renan Pablo, Adriano Papa, Alberto Reynoso, Billy Robinson, Ulysses Rodriguez, Reynaldo Santos, Jesse Sullano. Import: James Cornelious. Coach: Alfonso Marquez

Wow!

Those names bring back a lot of memories.

Dave Regullano with the black shoes. Tito Eduque always in all-white. Lucrecio Dacula poor guy. Whenever he gets the ball the crowd goes awoooo! Dacula - Dracula, right? Hehe.

otazu from San Sebastian, with hairy arms and legs. I think he died early. Alejandrito Miego - he

was so short.

So many more details I can't recall right now.

Cable television didn't exist in the 1970s in the Philippines. We were limited to Channels 2, 4, 7, 9, and 13. All VHF channels were accessed off the air through aerial antennas. Most programming came from the United States. The largest television one could buy at that time was 19 to 20 inches. One had to actually go to the television and change channels by turning a knob. Volume control was similarly controlled by a knob.

Remote controls for the most part didn't exist in the Philippines in the 1970s. There were crude remotes that didn't work with infra-red but rather through inaudible sound which controlled the volume, channel, and on/off switch.

We've gone a long way since those times. Today, one can buy a 100" screen where you can watch high definition content on 3-D. Programming comes form different parts of the world. And there's so much more variety today.

Baguio started cable TV back in 1972. I installed a cable TV distribution system for an apartment building at the old ice plant in Trancoville. I also got I volved in planning cable TV distribution for a subdivision just outside Tagaytay. Didn't get built because the subdivision was abandoned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We listened to the same stations but I listened to this in the 80s because I was still a kid in the 70s.

Was also a kid back in the 70's but since there's a strong radio influence at home (my eldest sib is / was a FM DJ), I had an early start.

In the 80's, the station I listened to where:

1. 99.5RT (Rhythm of the City)

2. 97.1 WLS-FM (The Best Music) - only up to 1985 though

3. 101.1 KISS-FM (HOT HITS!)

4. 101.9 ZOO-FM (Hayop Talaga!)

5. 94.7 DWLL-FM (Mellow Touch)

6. 96.3 DWRK-FM (Real Radio) - not the WROCK version

• 4 months later...

No WXB 102? That was the "in" station in the mid-80s. Puro new wave. I remember always waiting for the song " If You Leave" when I listen to this station.

That also. But since the signal was horrendously weak, it wasn't easy to pick up the frequency in the car while driving, or on the boombox in our school organization's tambayan...

I won't forget WXB 102 since our mobile disco group was featured one Saturday night. We were once doing a party in one of the clubhouses in QC when someone approached me and introduced himself as a DJ of WXB. Appreciating the playlist that we were doing, he invited us to be the mobile feature of the station for one Saturday.

Because the station didn't actually have sophisticated equipment, we were asked to bring a cassette tape of our best new wave mixes, provided that it was clear copy. We did so, went to the station in Taft around 8:30PM, and came on board at 9PM.

I didn't know that their station was in Taft. There wasn't any station that played new wave music in 80s except that station.

RT did try to tinker with their playlist sometime 1986 when they reformatted and became the Red Hot Radio Station after Rhythm of the City. This was triggered by KISS-FM's success in eating up their listener share. In a knee-jerk move made by then part-owner cum DJ OB Hollywood Andrew, RT generally became a new wave station sprinkled with some American hits that didn't pan out. They reverted to the ROTC format a year or two after.

Yes, XB's location was in Manila, somewhere in the Taft area. Can't recall the actual street but it's not exactly what we normally see on television shows like WKRP in Cincinnati, those Wolfman Jack shows, and even those Howard Stern clips. It's a dingy, not even a building but more of a residential house type. Still, they played really great music that impacted heavily in the non-mainstream market.