Back To The 70's

Our favorite steakhouse back then were the ones in Tomas Morato, namely Alfredo's and Luigi's. Alfredo's is still around while Luigi's has been gone for a long time.

Well, I had my first Fastfood steak at House of Mini's, my first Korean at Kimchi (beside House of Mini's) and my first Vietnamese Pho (I forgot the name) which is beside Kimchi.

Jack's was the best burger for me then. It was owned by my classmates and good friends from Notre Dame.

Our favorite steakhouse back then were the ones in Tomas Morato, namely Alfredo's and Luigi's. Alfredo's is still around while Luigi's has been gone for a long time.

Well, I had my first Fastfood steak at House of Mini's, my first Korean at Kimchi (beside House of Mini's) and my first Vietnamese Pho (I forgot the name) which is beside Kimchi.

Jack's was the best burger for me then. It was owned by my classmates and good friends from Notre Dame.

I brought my very first date when I was still a student to Alfredo's on Tomas Morato. Boy, that was back in the 70's and it's still there. It's good to have places such as these still standing decades after they went into operation. I hope it continues to be patronized by people.

A Filipino who left the Philippines in the 1970s wouldn't be able to get his bearings of the Makati Commecial Center (today called Ayala Center) given the layout of present day Glorietta. Without old photos, it's even difficult for us locals who have lived here all our lives to know exactly where long gone establishments were once located. In the absence of photos or old maps from the 70's we're forced to use our memories which may not always be reliable. That's why it's nice to share our recollections with one another which may help dig up old forgotten memories of places long gone. It would really be nice if someone could post an old 70's map indicating where the old establishments used to be.

will this pic help?

post-89810-0-82725800-1386044129.jpg

Photo was taken from the Intercontinental Hotel which still stands in the exact place it did in the 1970's. Note how little vehicles there were back then.

Yes these definitely help. Thanks for posting the pics and labeling the establishments. If you have any other old photos of other places of the old Makati Commecial Center, please post these too.

Thanks again.

I remember that Glorietta was already being called Glorietta but it was divided into a couple of arcades. The Mcdonald's in Makati was located beside Alemars. The approximate location now of that Mcdonald's would be between Mercury Drug and the Glorietta Circle in the middle of Glorietta.

I think before it was Glorietta, it used to be called the Quad.

There used to be a fish store at the Quad called Bio-Research. It was located very near the Atrium which was then open space.

I used to buy tropical fish there. Bio-research later moved opposite Gilligans (near Icebergs and North Park) which are also long gone.

I really miss the old Makati Commercial Center.

here's the view from the opposite direction with Hotel Intercon in the background, designed by National Artist Leandro Locsin, opened in 1969. the yellow Ford Fiera in the foreground is a PLDT service vehicle (the first AUV).

post-89810-0-37642100-1386467602.jpg

I noticed the white Toyota "Macho Machine", the blue "Love Bus" and a Volkswagen Beatle at the upper left portion of the photos. This photo was taken around the mid to late 1970's.

The picture above was obviously taken from Gilarmi Apartments.

Yup that's right.

Speaking of Bio Research, did it go out of business? Haven't seen them around for many years now.

I guess they're still around.

http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=22671

http://localdirect.com.ph/localdirect/resource/otheroffice/21829/222

http://www.ortigas.com/map/shops/bio-research-sm-megamall.html

I called the Festival Supermall branch to confirm if the number actually belonged to Bio Research. The lady said they were Bio Research. She also mentioned that the branch in Makati has a sign called Star Pet.