Back To The 70's

There were two types of 25 centavo coins being circulated back then. The first one was on its way out while the second photo was more popularly circulated.

http://69.55.175.34/foreign4/66phi25.jpg

http://cdn2.sulitstatic.com/server2/images/2013/0724/032159673_423460ffc16c7230ac4c2a9344f277dcaa3557c8.jpg

Those were the days when the coins were quite heavy. I surmise the 0.25 coin back then would weigh the same as the P1 coin today...

I remember all these coins. Back then these coins actually had value. Today .25 centavo coins won't even buy you a piece of candy. I've seen .25 coins discarded on the street. Nobody even seems interested in picking these up. I wonder why the Banko Sentral hasn't phased out these coins. Imagine how many of these .25 coins you'd need to pay a measly P20 parking fee. 80 pieces. How much time would it would take the person collecting the parking fee to count all these coins?

And to think the Banko Sentral up to this day uses 5 centavo coins. Where's the logic there? The value of these coins if they were melted down would even be higher I rekon than the value of the coins themselves.

And why hasn't the Banko Sentral come up with P5,000 and P10,000 notes? With the prices of goods and services skyrocketing, having these denominations would be convenient.

Adam West was Batman.

Burt Ward was Robin.

The Batman TV show originally aired from 1966-1968. The re-runs aired in local TV during the 1970s on GMA-7.

I've seen dvds of old television programs from the '60s and 70's being sold in the US. TV programs like the Time Tunnel, Combat!, Hawaii 5-0, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, etc. are available at US stores like Best Buy and FYE. Too bad these aren't available here. Guess there's not too much demand for these old classics.

And to think one could once watch these programs off the air on local channels such as Channel 7, my personal favorite back then.

Edited by oscartamaguchiblackface

Youth Civic Action Program (YCAP) was a requirement for graduation from high school. My YCAP involved my classmates and I making a feeder road in Paombong Bulacan. We had to live with a family for a whole week, during which time we would wake up at 5 AM everyday, use pick axes, shovels and a wheel barrow to move and dump dirt on a ravine until the dirt rose and eventually became a road. Work ended at 6 PM everyday.

This was extremely hard labor that was imposed on us high school kids. No choice since this was during the early part of martial law. Many of my classmates got sick and couldn't complete the one week rigorous experience. I was one of the few that completed the requirement.

Imagine working under the hot sun for 12 hours every day for a week. And to think this was hard labor like one sees in a prison chain gang.

"Sa Ikauunlad ng bayan disiplina ang kailangan."

A slogan that TV host Ariel Ureta made fun of by stating "sa ikauunlad ng bayan, bisikleta ang kailangan." Because we were were living under martial law at that time, freedom of speech was suspended and Ariel Ureta was promptly arrested. As I recall, he was made to do community work...not a terribly bad punishment compared to punishments meted out to personal enemies of President Marcos such as Ninoy Aquino.

Crispa-Toyota rivalry; MICAA

Its really sad that our TV networks don't archive their local materials. It would be nice to watch vintage games like the 1973 FIBA Asia Championship final game (RP-Korea) or the PBA games (Leo Prieto era).

Yung mga pinapalabas sa Destiny na luma, kokonti lang kasi. I don't even know if games of the old MICAA (pre-PBA) were even recorded (baka live airing lang).

Its really sad that our TV networks don't archive their local materials. It would be nice to watch vintage games like the 1973 FIBA Asia Championship final game (RP-Korea) or the PBA games (Leo Prieto era).

Yung mga pinapalabas sa Destiny na luma, kokonti lang kasi. I don't even know if games of the old MICAA (pre-PBA) were even recorded (baka live airing lang).

Indeed. I wouldn't mind watching the old rivalries between the Philippines' hot shots William Adornado vs South Korea's Shin Dong Pah.

The best shooters back then included William Adornado, Jun Papa, Atoy Co, and Danny Florencio. In a game between a PBA selection and the champion North Carolina Wolfpack NCAA team in the mid-70's the Wolfpack's star player, David Thomson had nothing but praise for Danny Florencio's skills. He was interviewed by a magazine and I remember Thomson saying that Danny Florencio was very "gutsy." Danny Florencio stood only 5'10 but his leaping ability was phenomenal. I once saw him going for a lay-up during a practice game and his hand was way over the ring as he effortlessly dropped the ball into the ring. I wonder why he just didn't dunk the ball.

And to think Michael Jordan idolized David Thompson when he was growing up.

There's a very nice youtube video posted by bro Muttley in the JPE sub-forum in the Politics, Economy and Current Events section. It's about a jingle from 1971 with Nora Aunor endorsing the then senatorial bid of JPE. Sure brought back some memories from that period.

Bro Muttley, you may want to re-post that jingle here in this forum. After all it is from the 70's

There's a very nice youtube video posted by bro Muttley in the JPE sub-forum in the Politics, Economy and Current Events section. It's about a jingle from 1971 with Nora Aunor endorsing the then senatorial bid of JPE. Sure brought back some memories from that period.

Bro Muttley, you may want to re-post that jingle here in this forum. After all it is from the 70's

Request granted!

Enrile 1971 senatorial campaign jingle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkBYEI78Y-c

Edited by muttley

The late Pepe Pimentel used to describe the DM Transit bus as "DiMonyong Transit" bus.

Speaking of Tito Pepe, he was one of the most popular TV personalities back in the 70's - perhaps even more than the 60's when he was co-hosting Student Canteen. Apart from "Kuarta O Kahon," he was also the host of the TV program Clubhouse 9 - a kiddie game show where the famous line..."ready...set...go--to..." was immortalized...

The late Pepe Pimentel used to describe the DM Transit bus as "DiMonyong Transit" bus.

Speaking of Tito Pepe, he was one of the most popular TV personalities back in the 70's - perhaps even more than the 60's when he was co-hosting Student Canteen. Apart from "Kuarta O Kahon," he was also the host of the TV program Clubhouse 9 - a kiddie game show where the famous line..."ready...set...go--to..." was immortalized...

For persons in their late 40's onwards, who could forget these classic tv shows?

Pag maalala mo pa itong jingle at yung bangko na ito, matanda ka na talaga!

Comtrust bank jingle (1973)

Title: We Share The Same Horizons

Performed by: Tillie Moreno

Words & Music: Jose Mari Chan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brASWgoG8Lc

Comtrust (Commercial Bank and Trust Company) was established in 1954 and was merged with BPI in 1980.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4135/4944970522_3959a2bee9_z.jpg

The Comtrust building is on the right (foreground) - corner of Ayala Ave. and Salcedo St. - the present site of Convergys.

Edited by muttley

Speaking of Joe Mari Chan, here are two more of his famous jingles:

BBC-2 (Banahaw Broadcasting Corp.) anthem (1973)

Title: Big, Beautiful Country (with prelude and postlude)

Performed by: Jose Mari Chan, Tillie Moreno, Alice Bell, Basil Valdez and Nonong Pedero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r-8GjXuJY4

Philippine Airlines jingle

Title: Love at 30,000 Feet

Performed by: Jose Mari Chan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCjhuWcIjFk

Edited by muttley