Back To The 70's

I haven't tired Nestle Premium Dairy series. Do they have a "light" version?

For the chocolate, I recall they have low-fat (Guiltless Chocolate Indulgence) and regular (Infinite Chocolate Pleasure). For the milk, they have low-fat and full-cream. They also have Melon Milk.

I didn't realize that Choco Vim was revived 10 years ago. Was it sold under the same name? Maybe it didn't do well in the market not because of the taste but because they used tetra triangle packs instead of bottles. Sometimes packaging plays as much an important role as does taste.

The revived product was sold as Magnolia Choco Vim. I remember trying it out of curiosity and didn't like it. I didn't have a reference point because my mommy never bought Choco Vim for us back when I was a kid (it was always Magnolia Chocolait).

Yup. It's really psychological for me. It tastes better when you drink it from the bottle.

Yeah, mas masarap nga yung Magnolia Chocolait before when consumed directly from that square-sided bottle with the paper-top. Lalo na nung maliit na single-serve bottle.

My only comment on taste is that our tastes evolve as we mature and become exposed to other foods/drinks. So I don't wax nostalgic about Magnolia Chocolait anymore. I just try finding the closest match among what's currently available.

I remember doing a product comparison of all the Tetra chocolate milk brands a couple of years ago (Magnolia Chocolait, Nestle Chuckie, Selecta Moo, Alaska Choco, Hershey's - heck, I even included Zesto Choco for good measure) and the winner for me was Nestle Chuckie. After that, I discovered Nestle Premium Dairy, tried it and liked it. So "pwede na" para sa akin yung mga gawa ng Nestle (Chuckie and Premium Dairy). Pero "out" para sa akin yung other brands.

Edited by muttley

I forgot about the Brasilia. The engine was typical VW - the humming was umistakeable. Driving a Beetle was "nightmarish" as the clutch was arched, forcing you to push it down in an angular way instead of the typical foot push with other vehicles.

I forgot about the Toyota. The Celica was one of the sportiest you can find - a real man's car, especially when painted red. Another Toyota vehicle was the Macho Machine - I think this was part of the Corolla line (correct me if I'm wrong though). Robert Jaworski was the prime endorser of this vehicle.

Volkswagen cars were assembled locally by DMG (Domingo M. Guevarra) at what later became Violago between De Los Santos Hospital & Trinity College along E.Rodriguez Ave. in Quezon City.

The Toyota Macho Machine was the coupe Corona. An earlier model of the Corona, in the 60's I think, was called Toyopet.

Edited by Infirmero

VOS Brandy - the TV commercial showed a man (with a goatee, Bong Lapira if im not mistaken) holding a glass of Vos Brandy. The jingle goes . . V-O-S, Vos Brandy pang romansa.

Ginebra San Miguel - before there was Barangay Ginebra and before it was tweaked to read: ang inumin ng tunay na Pilipino, it was "Ginebra San Miguel ang inumin ng tunay na lalaki"

White Castle Whiskey - TV & print commercial showing a female model and a white horse in the beach with a white castle in the far background. I can remember Evangeline Pascual as one of the models.

Gard Shampoo - "sayang walang Gard nuong araw eh" (male model scratching his bald noggin)

You know quite a bit about milk bro Muttley. Anyway I'll start trying out the brands you just mentioned and make my own judgments. I just hope I don't put on any extra weight while the jury is out. He he he....

Lucky for us, these products are available in single-serve sizes. I got nostalgic about Chocolait before kaya I did the taste test. Maybe I'll do it again. Hahaha.

[/size]

The old Toyota Crown makes me think of the NBI and the CAFGU. If I ever make a movie, I'll have the villains riding around in an old Toyota Crown with peeling violet tint on its windows.

Some of these cars were huge, like the Chevy Nova which I thought of as a tank.

I will always associate the Toyota Land Cruiser (with red license plates) with martial law. These vehicles were usually used by armed men (don't know if they were Philippine Constabulary, military, or bodyguards of the untouchable men in high governement postitions.

I forgot about the Brasilia. The engine was typical VW - the humming was umistakeable. Driving a Beetle was "nightmarish" as the clutch was arched, forcing you to push it down in an angular way instead of the typical foot push with other vehicles.

The Cortina was definitely a guzzler. Especially the automatic version. Big car - hard to maneuver inside "eskinitas" or side streets that was only good for one vehicle. The Telstar, I think, came out in 1983 or 1984 thereabouts. That was the last Ford brand before it closed shop before Edsa 1. Another Ford vehicle in the 70's was the Pinto and of course, the forever classic Mustang.

I forgot about the Toyota. The Celica was one of the sportiest you can find - a real man's car, especially when painted red. Another Toyota vehicle was the Macho Machine - I think this was part of the Corolla line (correct me if I'm wrong though). Robert Jaworski was the prime endorser of this vehicle. The Starlet came out in the 80's - a compact car with a 1.2 engine. It was even smaller than the Colt Mirage whose displacement is at 1.2 also. I liked the Land Cruiser as it was like a road trekker back then - capable of hauling huge merchandise but solid enough to run at the same power. The Cressida and the Crowns were fit for the executives - big cars that consumed gas at a 6km per liter rate.

Finally, who can forget the Datsun? Now carrying the Nissan brand, this was one of the better brands for the middle class.

Yes it was Sonny Jaworski who endorsed the Toyota Macho Machine. I think it had a 2 liter engine which was considered large for that time. 1600 cc cars were the norm back then. Oh yeah I remember the Datsun. My uncle had a Datsun 180B. Doesn't Nissan still use the Nissan-Datsun name overseas? Or is the Datsun brand permanently phased out?

Edited by sonnyt111

VOS Brandy - the TV commercial showed a man (with a goatee, Bong Lapira if im not mistaken) holding a glass of Vos Brandy. The jingle goes . . V-O-S, Vos Brandy pang romansa.

Ginebra San Miguel - before there was Barangay Ginebra and before it was tweaked to read: ang inumin ng tunay na Pilipino, it was "Ginebra San Miguel ang inumin ng tunay na lalaki"

White Castle Whiskey - TV & print commercial showing a female model and a white horse in the beach with a white castle in the far background. I can remember Evangeline Pascual as one of the models.

Gard Shampoo - "sayang walang Gard nuong araw eh" (male model scratching his bald noggin)

Ha ha ha. Yeah I still remember the Ginebra San Miguel commercial where it was "Ang inumin ng tunay na lalaki, ay Ginebra Ginebra San Miguel. Ang inumin ng tunay na lalaki ay Ginebra San Miguel ang Ginebra San Miguel ang Ginebra San Miguel ang inumin.

Guess this got a lot of flack from women legislators at that time which forced Ginebra to change the term "lalaki" to "Pilipino." Just like Overseas Contractual Workers (OCW) was changed to Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW). I guess even back then, Filipinos were at the forefront of political correctness.

About 10 years ago there was also a controversial ad by another liquor company which goes something like this: "Nakatikim ka na ng 15 anos?" That drew a lot of flack too and with very good reason. I think the company responded that the only ones who would find this ad offensive are those with dirty minds.

Edited by sonnyt111

Lucky for us, these products are available in single-serve sizes. I got nostalgic about Chocolait before kaya I did the taste test. Maybe I'll do it again. Hahaha.

That's good to know. I thought I'd have to buy a full sized bottle/carton just to try each brand out. Now I can buy a single-serve size, try it and if I like it, I can buy more or even the full sized bottle/carton itself.

Tancho Tique- "Use Tancho Tique everyday of the week...."

That's good to know. I thought I'd have to buy a full sized bottle/carton just to try each brand out. Now I can buy a single-serve size, try it and if I like it, I can buy more or even the full sized bottle/carton itself.

For best results, serve cold and in a glass.

Don't do everything in one session. One brand/day is fine.

I do remember pinball machines but I used to play with them in one of the amusement centers here in Makati. I also remember going to Greenhills to play with slot cars at Virra Mall. That was in the late 70's early 80's if memory serves me right.BTW what is Night Rider? The only Night Rider that rings a bell is the tv series starring David Hasselhoff.

It's Night Driver pala. Sorry, my mistake.

http://www.rotheblog.com/images/arcade/classicgames/nightdriver/nightdriver_cockpit.jpg

Small cars are back like the Ford Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, and course Smart Fortwo. In the 70s there was the Minica. There was even a movie starring a talking Minica (Vilma and the Beep Beep Minica if I'm not mistaken) like a local version of Hollywood's Herbie the Beetle.

The small cars then were called Bantam cars.

Leopoldo Salcedo the actor was also one of the endorsers of V.O.S Brandy. There was also ANEJO RHUM.

My favorite was Beach Walk. The most comfy of them all. The most durable was Dragon sandals.

Spartan was Pinoy version of Converse chuck taylor while Bantex also made tennis sneakers that looked like Keds... but these were in the 60s. In the 70s, ADIDAS was the most popular in our school, my favorite PE shoes then was adidas stan smith, the Puma counterpart was Puma Yugoslavia which I also had. There was a local version but in canvas form named ABC rubber shoes. Another favorite of mine was Adidas Vienna. I liked the red stripes more than the blue stripes of Adidas Rom. I think Rubberworld made rubber shoes with 4 stripes called NBA rubber shoes. Kaya we're known then as the great imitators.

My rubber shoes in grade school

Converse Chuck Taylor - high cut

Converse Jack Purcell - low cut

My rubber shoes in high school

Adidas

Stan Smith

Rod Laver

Vienna

SL 72

Puma

Yugoslavia

Tiger