Back To The 70's

Anyone who's never heard of Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong is out-of-place in this thread. No, really...... :goatee:

Another line from Magnum Force (cuz this is classic Clint):

Police Chief: Got anything else to say to me, Callahan?

Clint: (stares him down) Just one thing.....your mouthwash ain't makin' it!

Even before clicking on that link, I suspect that's the theme from "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home".

Who could forget Harry Boyle's right-wing neighbor who resembled Nixon? Huh? Huh? Huh? :D

The neighbor's name was Ralph (I just can't recall what his last name was) who also ran a paramilitary group to counter any invasion from the "Russkies". :D

Harry's wife was Wilma and their kids were Chet, Alice, and Jayme. I can't recall their dog's name though. :P

Edited by willow_boy
Off Topic lang... sorry.

Signing off temporarily (once again) as it seems I'm up for another trip to the Lion City very soon. Huge convention in Singapore by the IMF and World Bank in early September coming up and we have to prepare. Hmm... wasn't the IMF here as well in the 70's? Can't remember...

Leaving you guys with this 70's cartoon theme:

http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/wait-father.mp3

Anybody remember the "candle that looks like a light bulb"

Regards to everyone! :)

Have a safe trip, pards! Looking forward to your highly informative posts/contributions in the future. :thumbsupsmiley:

Speaking of the 70s IMF convention in the Philippines. Correct me if I'm wrong pero I think the PICC was built for the purpose of this event in much the same way that the Folk Arts Theater was constructed in a record time of 70+ days to prepare for the hosting of the 1974 Miss Universe pageant.

Little did we all know that the money to fund these projects was coming from World Bank loans all along. :thumbsdownsmiley: It was part of the Marcos propaganda and "beautification" campaign to silence the not-so-perceptive among us. :angry:

Have a safe trip, pards! Looking forward to your highly informative posts/contributions in the future. :thumbsupsmiley:

Speaking of the 70s IMF convention in the Philippines. Correct me if I'm wrong pero I think the PICC was built for the purpose of this event in much the same way that the Folk Arts Theater was constructed in a record time of 70+ days to prepare for the hosting of the 1974 Miss Universe pageant.

:angry:

We also held our graduation rites at the PICC. :)

Speaking of Cheech & Chong, some time ago I read a news bit about how they were searching for the "new" Cheech & Chong, but I never heard of it again - apparently it fizzled out. Rightfully so, there'll never be another like the original.

I don't know about you guys, but watching a new Betamax movie of C&C would not be complete without taking a mandatory puff or 2 of weed. I don't think we watched any of the movies while sober! You know how you'd laugh and laugh until no sound comes out of your mouth? Ganun!

Paul Reubens, better known as PeeWee Herman, appeared in Cheech & Chong's Next Movie, and boy was he weird (the "hamburger dude") !

Too bad Cheech is now more known for his sober roles. He's Canadian pala. Most of us thought he was Mexican.

Speaking of Cheech & Chong, some time ago I read a news bit about how they were searching for the "new" Cheech & Chong, but I never heard of it again - apparently it fizzled out. Rightfully so, there'll never be another like the original.

Too bad Cheech is now more known for his sober roles. He's Canadian pala. Most of us thought he was Mexican.

Some of us prefer Tommy Chong these days. Cheech has (in recent years) said things to distance himself from that "era in his life". Sure he may have gone mainstream, but it's Tommy who remains an icon for the counter-culture movement.

Here's something for fans of "The Man":

http://www.akatommychong.com/

Edited by starbuck911
I don't know about you guys, but watching a new Betamax movie of C&C would not be complete without taking a mandatory puff or 2 of weed. I don't think we watched any of the movies while sober! You know how you'd laugh and laugh until no sound comes out of your mouth? Ganun!

Yup! Slide, my friend, I get the picture :D :D :D :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by augustmoon
Yah im a newbie :D well I was born in the 70's but i didn't really experience the 70's atmosphere kasi bata pako nun e, I grew up in the 80's hehehe. But I remember my mom used to let me wear bell bottom jeans hehehe I think I was 5 yrs old then. Thanks for welcoming me Pare Cheers!!

Hi!

Buhay 70s here. Hay naku, super saya. By the way, mga bro, baka may mga classmates and schoolmates ako dito sa list ESTEBAN ABADA HIGH SCHOOL batch '74, we are planning a reunion, baka may kilala rin kayo, help naman. We will talk about the Good Ol Days! Just text me and state your name at 0********. Thanks list!

MOD NOTE: POSTING OF CONTACT NUMBERS IS NOT ALLOWED. THANKS.

Edited by christina

Paul Reubens, better known as PeeWee Herman, appeared in Cheech & Chong's Next Movie, and boy was he weird (the "hamburger dude") !

You know what else was good to watch while on weed? The Gods Must Be Crazy. (sorry kung OT, 80's na yata ito)

Pards, tama ka. I stand corrected on that. He did hit No.1 a number of times during the 70s. I based my statement on an old Casey Kasem show I saw several years back pero I probably misunderstood the context.

Dehins ko lang maintindihan kay Paul e bakit mga pangit ang mga napipili niyang asawa. :thumbsdownsmiley: Buti pa si Ringo, former Bond girl ang asawa.

[color=#3333FF]hehehe, pangit nga napipili asawa ni Paul pero Linda was a nice and loyal wife kay McCartney, just like pangit din na si Yoko. Thats why yata na mga pangit napipili ng mga Kano dito dahil sa pagiging super loyal sa kanila ng mga wives nila. Look now, kumuha ng medyo may itsura si Sir Paul, ayun, divorced kaagad. And also may gf din siya before Linda.....maganda..si Jane Asher[/color]

I remember My Sweet Lord lording it over the airwaves back in "74 - it was really such a monster hit. Every radio station that time seemed to be playing it every hour! :D

I still have George's Cloud Nine album both in LP and cassette format :P Great tunes there, with super artists like Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne (of ELO), Ringo Starr, Elton John all lending their contributions...

The record label George Harrison established when he went solo was very apt. George Harrison was always the Dark Horse in the Beatles lineup :P

cheers, pare! kitakits uli!

The album included the number one hit single "My Sweet Lord", over which Harrison was later sued for copyright infringement due to the supposed similarities to the 1963 Chiffons single "He's So Fine". Harrison denied deliberately stealing the song, but he lost the resulting court case in 1976. In the ruling, the court accepted the possibility that Harrison had "unconsciously copied" the Chiffons melody as the basis for his own song. Disputes over damages dragged on into the 1990s, with manager Allen Klein changing sides by buying Bright Tunes, which published "He's So Fine", and continuing the suit after parting with Harrison, and Harrison ultimately winding up as the owner of both songs. happy ending, pre

That was Dec. 9/80 in Singapore with my folks when we heard about the assassination. I just thought to myself that the Beatles reunion every fan was praying for was not really going to happen after all. That was a sad day to

pop culture. :(

I heard of the assassintion when i was still at the stairway of our house sa sampaloc (wala na, nasunog na yung house) when my mom broke the news. I was stunned and could not believe it at first. But that was in the 80s when the networks are not full of tsismis, press releases sa showbiz etc. so I accepted the news as really that true (well, basta hindi tungkol sa politics during that time). Hurriedly, I went up and turned on the radio and TV and, there it was, the news all spread out in Special Editions. I almost cried and hatred filled my heart on whoever did that darn thing. ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE was the theme song of the day and the first filipino who aired a special about the event was the late Bobby Ledesma together with some interviews with the rock legends of the time.....Pepe Smith, Mike Hanopol, the APO, etc.

As a Beatle fan, Lennon's murder dashed any hope of a true Beatles reunion. It would have been great had John been around in the mid-90s when Paul, George, and Ringo finally set aside their differences, reunited, and came out with the Beatles Anthology series of DVDs and CDs. That would have been something else, right?

Personally, Lennon is a huge influence not just on my political views but also on how I lead my personal life. I will leave it at that. :)

You are absolutely right, sayang nga. Failed to buy that Anthology CD, saan kaya makakabili ngayon nun? Super busy ako then kaya wala akong napanood sa TV-5 nuong mga araw na yun, although I have seen the MTV of FREE AS A BIRD, kinda nakakakilabot..parang trip through memory lane na in real time........we miss you John

You know what else was good to watch while on weed? The Gods Must Be Crazy. (sorry kung OT, 80's na yata ito)

'79 first showing ng THE CHAMP sa Delta Theater. Naka splatter sa labas ng sinehan ang life-size poster ni Jon Voight nasa fighting stance. So, at first glance akala namin ng barkada ko Action to-its ala Rocky siguro! Karga muna kami sa tsekot ng "lagkitan". Bili na kami ng ticket with matching hot dogs, popcorn and drinks (foodtrip!) pro bago pumasok namimigay ng libreng Kleenex. Aba, mas ayos ah!

Yun, pag labas namin ng sinehan mas mapula at mas maga pa ang mga mata namin sa kaiiyak when we first got in.

Kaya pala namimigay ng Kleenex! Crying trip ang pinasukan namin! :( :P :D :lol:

Anyone here remember

YCAP

Youth Civic Action Program

A mandatory 120 hours of civic service for all youth

OO nga, YCAP, ginawa namin to accumulate 120 hours, magtanim araw araw ng mga gulay at prutas. Tapos magpapapirma sa barangay chairman sa hour credits. Pero masaya naman, we do harvest the goods and took it home para lutuin. Pero come to think of it ang ganda ng kapaligiran, mas green kaysa ngayon (well, count in din na hindi naman overcrowded ang Manila during the 70s). Meron pang the CLEAN AND GREEN na competition per barangay (nanalo kami nun)

'79 first showing ng THE CHAMP sa Delta Theater. Naka splatter sa labas ng sinehan ang life-size poster ni Jon Voight nasa fighting stance. So, at first glance akala namin ng barkada ko Action to-its ala Rocky siguro! Karga muna kami sa tsekot ng "lagkitan". Bili na kami ng ticket with matching hot dogs, popcorn and drinks (foodtrip!) pro bago pumasok namimigay ng libreng Kleenex. Aba, mas ayos ah!

Yun, pag labas namin ng sinehan mas mapula at mas maga pa ang mga mata namin sa kaiiyak when we first got in.

Kaya pala namimigay ng Kleenex! Crying trip ang pinasukan namin! :( :P :D :lol:

And there's GALA THEATRE and STA.CRUZ THEATER. Exciting! hehehe

I can still remember quite a number of BOMBA films during the late 60s and early 70s. Pls. correct me if I'm wrong. :cool:

1. Uhaw (Merle Fernandez)

2. Ang Saging ni Pacing (Rosanna Ortiz)

3. Ang Batuta ni Dracula (Eddie Garcia)

4. Picnic (Daria Ramirez)

5. Nympha (Rizza)

6. Temptation Island (Deborah Sun)