Back To The 70's

It's not true that in the early 70s SURFSIDE MP along Roxas Blvd. was a sister school of LS-Taft where

many "Men from Leveriza" cross-enrolled on SEX101. :P

WHAT?!?!? SAY IT AIN'T SO?!? You mean to say that I did not earn any college credits from all the time I spent there?!? :boo: B) I feel so misled and used! :D

Para hindi OT, along the Roxas strip during the 70s, Romulus, Eduardo's and the Amihan were popular night clubs for people in power. Former Speaker Jose B. Laurel was even the target of an assasination attempt at the Amihan in the late 60s.

WHAT?!?!? SAY IT AIN'T SO?!? You mean to say that I did not earn any college credits from all the time I spent there?!? :boo: B) I feel so misled and used! :D

Para hindi OT, along the Roxas strip during the 70s, Romulus, Eduardo's and the Amihan were popular night clubs for people in power. Former Speaker Jose B. Laurel was even the target of an assasination attempt at the Amihan in the late 60s.

There was this gambling den my uncle brought me once near the area which is now Ms. Universe (Antipolo St., I think) where I chanced upon then famous haute cotourier Christian Espiritu and Sen. Ninoy Aquino with a couple of bodyguards. Speaking of Christian E., Lasallitas got a good discount from his shop located near St. Scho (if i remember right).

Padaan lang sa thread. Thanks for keeping us up sis Augustmoon.

'Twas a busy week. And I'm in the middle of something big. Parang thesis.

Today is the start of the BER months. Malapit na ang jingle bells.

In the 70s, jingle had a different meaning which are still understood at present.

JINGLE was a popular music magazine. We call the music in the ads as jingle.

Jingle has another meaning though which is "to pee".

"Basta driver, sweet lover. Jingle lang ang pahinga."

Conjugation of jingle: jumingle, kajijingle, jumijingle, jingle, jijingle.

O sige najijingle na ko. :rolleyes:

Padaan lang sa thread. Thanks for keeping us up sis Augustmoon.

'Twas a busy week. And I'm in the middle of something big. Parang thesis.

Today is the start of the BER months. Malapit na ang jingle bells.

In the 70s, jingle had a different meaning which are still understood at present.

JINGLE was a popular music magazine. We call the music in the ads as jingle.

Jingle has another meaning though which is "to pee".

"Basta driver, sweet lover. Jingle lang ang pahinga."

Conjugation of jingle: jumingle, kajijingle, jumijingle, jingle, jijingle.

O sige najijingle na ko. :rolleyes:

Heard my first xmas carol yesterday. piped-in music at megamall. Talagang tinapat sa unang araw ng BER.

There'something about the BER months..last night the felt the wind was chilly-"er" na (?!!).

I remember the Christmas trees of my childhood in the 70's -- my Mom's choices of themes for a particular year was quite outrageous - of course ang center was always a MANGER. When it came to the Xmas trees naman, she ran the gamut of all types of Christmas tree - depende sa uso noon - One year it was the Reynolds-aluminum type of a tree...another year naman, the Tambo-walis dyed green type...one year year naman it was the Patpat-walis tingting in red..and at one time the dried twigs type in white (much like the ones you still see in Roxas Blvd.) nakakahilo...Our Christmas balls were the fragile made in Japan types which according to my Mom cost as fortune, while our Christmas lights were the flickering ones na may music pa. Right after All Saints Day we would turn on the multi-colored Christmas BULBS all around the house...Hanggang ngayon di ko pa rin alam kung ano ang significance at symbolism na pinalilibuton ng ilaw ang roof na bahay tuwing pasko.

The best Xmas decor-related memory I have is when we (the neighborhood kids - we were then aged 2 - 11 and were a big group of about 18++ kids) tried to make a live MANGER in our 1974 annual street Xmas party with all of us playing a part (they added parts just to give every body a role) - good thing one of the parents took a picture of the tableau ..we are all adults now - and all have become accomplished in their fields as professionals, academics, businessmen, artiste-celebre, technocrats, politicians.. looking at the picture (which we all have a copy of) the roles we played (and some fought over) then reflects what we will become in the future...Of course, I didnt play the role of VIRGIN MARY. I was the cow. :-) The politicians (one Local and the other of National importance (?) had the role of the Donkey(s). Hehehehe.

Merry X'mas.

There'something about the BER months..last night the felt the wind was chilly-"er" na (?!!).

I remember the Christmas trees of my childhood in the 70's -- my Mom's choices of themes for a particular year was quite outrageous - of course ang center was always a MANGER. When it came to the Xmas trees naman, she ran the gamut of all types of Christmas tree - depende sa uso noon - One year it was the Reynolds-aluminum type of a tree...another year naman, the Tambo-walis dyed green type...one year year naman it was the Patpat-walis tingting in red..and at one time the dried twigs type in white (much like the ones you still see in Roxas Blvd.) nakakahilo...Our Christmas balls were the fragile made in Japan types which according to my Mom cost as fortune, while our Christmas lights were the flickering ones na may music pa. Right after All Saints Day we would turn on the multi-colored Christmas BULBS all around the house...Hanggang ngayon di ko pa rin alam kung ano ang significance at symbolism na pinalilibuton ng ilaw ang roof na bahay tuwing pasko.

The best Xmas decor-related memory I have is when we (the neighborhood kids - we were then aged 2 - 11 and were a big group of about 18++ kids) tried to make a live MANGER in our 1974 annual street Xmas party with all of us playing a part (they added parts just to give every body a role) - good thing one of the parents took a picture of the tableau ..we are all adults now - and all have become accomplished in their fields as professionals, academics, businessmen, artiste-celebre, technocrats, politicians.. looking at the picture (which we all have a copy of) the roles we played (and some fought over) then reflects what we will become in the future...Of course, I didnt play the role of VIRGIN MARY. I was the cow. :-) The politicians (one Local and the other of National importance (?) had the role of the Donkey(s). Hehehehe.

Merry X'mas.

Please post the pic!!!! Please post the pic!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:

Angat ko lang.

Mga namiss ko sa 70s kasi wala na ngayon

Jack's Burger

Selecta Milk

Cliffhouse ng Aristocrat

Pareng Storm,

Kumusta ka na? I also miss Big 20 Burger on Escolta. Malapit sa babaan ng Love Bus on that street. Masarap iyong burger nila even though it was a bit pricey during that time. During the 70s, my favorite burgers were Tropical Hut and Big 20.

Anyone remember the ROBOTIC show in COD ?

People, check out FHM issue this month Sept 06, all about 70's.

Link

http://rapidshare.de/files/31880190/FHM_Ph...emeber_2006.rar

I remember the Christmas trees of my childhood in the 70's --

Promise ha! :evil:

September in the 70s:

Martial Law was declared in September 23, 1972 but the date was antedated to September 21 which is divisible by 7. September 21 was declared as a National Holiday in the 70s.

Bagong Lipunan daw :thumbsdownsmiley:

Edited by lomex32
Pareng Storm,

Kumusta ka na? I also miss Big 20 Burger on Escolta. Malapit sa babaan ng Love Bus on that street. Masarap iyong burger nila even though it was a bit pricey during that time. During the 70s, my favorite burgers were Tropical Hut and Big 20.

Okay naman pero sobrang busy. Productive but very tiring. Ikaw bro?

Hindi kasi ako nagagawi ng Escolta kaya sayang namiss ko ang Big 20. Tropical Hut is still around. Same taste. Hindi nagbago.

@ Pareng lomex32,

Sayang bro at wala akong rar. I'm using a Mac. I'll check na lang FHM. Thanks bro.

Edited by storm
Hindi kasi ako nagagawi ng Escolta kaya sayang namiss ko ang Big 20. Tropical Hut is still around. Same taste. Hindi nagbago.

My memories of Tropical Hut burgers during the 70s was that they were really huge. This was before Tropical Hut became a fastfood joint. The problem with the Tropical Hut burgers then was that they were rather dry, unlike the Jack's burgers which were so juicy, especially with their unique mayonnaise.

My memories of Tropical Hut burgers during the 70s was that they were really huge. This was before Tropical Hut became a fastfood joint. The problem with the Tropical Hut burgers then was that they were rather dry, unlike the Jack's burgers which were so juicy, especially with their unique mayonnaise.

You're referring to the The Green Mayonnaise of Jack's! I've been asking the sons of the owners of Jack's to resurrect the burger. Sayang talaga! :(

As for me, Jollibee is but a copycat of Tropical Hut...first time I tasted Jollibee my initial reaction was " E, lasang tropical ito"...my kids thinks it's the other way around...but I tell them that Tropical Hut is very much older than the bee. :D

@lomex32,

bro...ako rin walang rar, how can i view this? :(

The PBA...

The date was April 9, 1975, when the first game was played. Gregorio "Joy" Araneta scored the new league's first points...

The country was under the yoke of Martial Law but, inside the Araneta Coliseum it was a fiesta. The first professional league outside the United States had just began its enduring love affair with millions of Filipinos.

Frustrated and in conflict with the abrasive clutches of the Basketball Association of the Philippines (B.A.P.), the governing body of Pinoy basketball; nine clubs decided to band together and form the Philippine Basketball Association (P.B.A.). Toyota, Crispa, U-Tex, Royal Tru-Orange, Noritake, Carrier, Tanduay, Presto and Seven-Up were the charter members of the new league.