Back To The 70's

Has anyone here attended

BIVUOACs in ROTC

Ah yes, we had BIVUOACs at La Mesa Dam park. The really scary thing during those years, kasi ka ma Martial Law lang nun, are our officers (the real military ones) that drunk before sundown and fired their guns kapag madilim na. Then came the night navigation competition. I was an MP then and manning the entrance to the "war zone". Bilin sa amin kapag di sumagot sa aming password, gulpihin namin. Eh, may penetrator, di alam ang password, binugbog namin. Come morning, meron kaming nakitang may bina bandage sa ulo na corps commander ng isang college na university na ngayon. Kawawa naman.

Yup, I remember YCAP and BIVOUAC. I forgot lang what year in HS one had to take YCAP. Senior year ba sa HS ang BIVOUAC? If so, mine was held at Teachers' Camp in Baguio. Those combat boots I had to wear gave my feet the most blisters I've ever had in my life after we had to walk to Loakan Airport and back. Buti nalang malapit lang sa T. Camp ang bahay ng classmate ko, so dun kami tatakas para maka-hithit. :P

Btw, it was augustmoon's b'day? HI!!! BELATED!!! :)

Edited by starbuck911
Yup, I remember YCAP and BIVOUAC. I forgot lang what year in HS one had to take YCAP. Senior year ba sa HS ang BIVOUAC? If so, mine was held at Teachers' Camp in Baguio. Those combat boots I had to wear gave my feet the most blisters I've ever had in my life after we had to walk to Loakan Airport and back. Buti nalang malapit lang sa T. Camp ang bahay ng classmate ko, so dun kami tatakas para maka-hithit. :P

Btw, it was augustmoon's b'day? HI!!! BELATED!!! :)

Thanks Starbuck911 :)

In my school our YCAP activity was to plant pechay. We each had a plot each and tended about 8 pechays. We spent about 15 minutes watering; weeding and loosening the soil. Our grade was based on whether or not we were able to make the pechays grow. Siempre high marks were given to those who had large and healthy pechays. Not all were gifted with green thumbs so very few of us had 8 pechays. One of my classmates who grew only 2 in her plot became desperate she brought 4 pechays from her neighbors vegetable plot and transplanted them in her plot in time for grading. We were all amused at the thought that her ploy would work. To our surprise the teacher started pulling the pechays out to check on the roots e wala yung kanya. Nabuko !!! as her punishment, she was assigned to weed and prep the whole class' plots for the next planting of lettuce. :D

I heard "YADO"during the 70's. I know its for boys, i just don't kow what it is.

Thanks Starbuck911 :)

In my school our YCAP activity was to plant pechay. We each had a plot each and tended about 8 pechays. We spent about 15 minutes watering; weeding and loosening the soil. Our grade was based on whether or not we were able to make the pechays grow. Siempre high marks were given to those who had large and healthy pechays. Not all were gifted with green thumbs so very few of us had 8 pechays. One of my classmates who grew only 2 in her plot became desperate she brought 4 pechays from her neighbors vegetable plot and transplanted them in her plot in time for grading. We were all amused at the thought that her ploy would work. To our surprise the teacher started pulling the pechays out to check on the roots e wala yung kanya. Nabuko !!! as her punishment, she was assigned to weed and prep the whole class' plots for the next planting of lettuce. :D

I heard "YADO"during the 70's. I know its for boys, i just don't kow what it is.

First of all, Happy Birthday din kay Ms. augustmoon. May you have many more happy and blessed birthdays to come! :cool:

Anyway correct me if I'm wrong pero I think YADO was an alternative to the ROTC program. It was run by a Col. Villalon (Alex yata was his first name) based on what I gathered from my cousin (he was part of this program at UST). Now, I don't know if its requirements were more stringent than the ROTC program.

As for YCAP, it was a joke in my school. We did some planting in our schoolyard pero due to lack of water (my school was in an elevated area), we hardly bothered to water them. Hehe Inspite of that, I got good marks. Oh well, so much for the so-called "New Society". :)

Another organization/movement that came out of the 70s was the Kabataang Barangay that was supposedly led by Imee Marcos, which IMHO, was the Philippine version of the Hitler Youth. :)

First of all, Happy Birthday din kay Ms. augustmoon. May you have many more happy and blessed birthdays to come! :cool:

Anyway correct me if I'm wrong pero I think YADO was an alternative to the ROTC program. It was run by a Col. Villalon (Alex yata was his first name) based on what I gathered from my cousin (he was part of this program at UST). Now, I don't know if its requirements were more stringent than the ROTC program.

As for YCAP, it was a joke in my school. We did some planting in our schoolyard pero due to lack of water (my school was in an elevated area), we hardly bothered to water them. Hehe Inspite of that, I got good marks. Oh well, so much for the so-called "New Society". :)

Another organization/movement that came out of the 70s was the Kabataang Barangay that was supposedly led by Imee Marcos, which IMHO, was the Philippine version of the Hitler Youth. :)

Thanks Willowboy. I continue to count the blessings, but have stopped counting the years :)

Oh, so thats what YADO is. ^_^

I remember the KB Kabataang Barangay - my older cousin was a KB officer in her subdivision feeling bida siya - I was too young to be a member then. I remember the logo was the letter K & B written in our katutubong alphabet.

Isa pang pina-uso ni Imee Marcos was to wear MetroManila Aide Yellow T-shirts - (I know of one who actually paid quite a sum to get one from a real MetroAide) - parang counter fashion statement ni Imee yun to parody her Mom's uber fashionista ways.

Thanks Willowboy. I continue to count the blessings, but have stopped counting the years :)

Oh, so thats what YADO is. ^_^

I remember the KB Kabataang Barangay - my older cousin was a KB officer in her subdivision feeling bida siya - I was too young to be a member then. I remember the logo was the letter K & B written in our katutubong alphabet.

Isa pang pina-uso ni Imee Marcos was to wear MetroManila Aide Yellow T-shirts - (I know of one who actually paid quite a sum to get one from a real MetroAide) - parang counter fashion statement ni Imee yun to parody her Mom's uber fashionista ways.

Speaking of Imee, was it during the late 70s or early 80s when news came out of Tommy Manotoc's (ex-husband of Aurora Pijuan) supposed kidnapping? Pero what turned out pala was Imee and Tommy were having an affair and were intent on getting married, etc.

Happy birthday Mareng Augustmoon! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: Thanks to womanlover.

Welcome to the thread womanlover. How come you know it's augustmoon's bday?

Welcome din to photographer. Keep on shooting, errr posting pala. :thumbsupsmiley:

Yeah Gigantor, the father of Mazinger Z. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Metro-Aide Tshirt without the br*. Uso naman kasi noon yung br*less and for the liberated girls, p*nt*less. :evil:

Metro-Aide Tshirt without the br*. Uso naman kasi noon yung br*less and for the liberated girls, p*nt*less. :evil:

Any pictures? Hehe... :evil:

I wanted one of those shirts myself, esp. after seeing Hiram Bullock (orig. guitarist for Paul Schaffer's band) wearing it on Dave Letterman's show on a number of occasions. Early to mid-80's na yan, so around what year did these shirts actually start coming out? 'Di ko na maalala....

YADO was indeed an alternative. For some, it was a convenient way to get through ROTC without being required to get a haircut and minus the marching under the sun. All you had to do to pass was to pay the bivouac fee. In my case, I would even intentionally flunk first sem ROTC so second sem ROTC would be officially deferred. (Good thing ROTC grades were not included in the computation of GPA. Hehehe!) Then, during the summer, I would enroll both first and second sem ROTC courses under YADO. That way, I only pay the bivouac fee once instead of twice per school year. BTW, you didn't even have to actually attend the bivuoac (although you can if you want to). All you needed to do was pay the fee.

Magandang racket yan nung araw! :cool:

Although from what I understand, not all schools recognize YADO as an alternative to ROTC.

From what I remember, YCAP came much earlier. In Grade School to be exact. It was part of our Practical Arts class. We plant vegetables and then after school, we'd mess up the plots of our classmates na kagalit namin. :blush:

Then in HS, there was YDT which took the form of scouting. Boy Scouts kuno. That was another bummer. Dyahi sa chicks pag yung gupit mo sobrang ikli. :evil: Di ko rin pinapasukan yan. I just attend make up classes towards the end of each school year. :D

Kabataang Baranggay? Not my thing. Aktibista ako nung college eh. Hehehe....

Edited by Magaling

For the life of me, I CAN'T recall what I did for YCAP! :sleepysmiley03:

All I remember was I wasn't allowed by my "strict ang peyrents ko" to join the bivouac. So, I have no stories to share...

Yes, Augustmoon, Happy Birthday again! At our age, we definitely should count our blessings, not our years! Right on! (very 70's yun!!) :thumbsupsmiley:

Good day to the children of the 70s, the flower wearing, pot-smoking, curfew-avoiding people. With my apologies to mareng liberty I complied some of the songs we listened to while we were either:

a) stoned B) drunk c) both a and b or d) none of the above

Can you guess these popular rock songs/ballads?

1) Frank Zappa and the Mothers were at the best place around, but some stupid with a flare gun, burned the place to the ground

2) She said, 'I'm home on shore leave, though in truth we were at sea

3) Hop on the bus, Gus, you don`t need to discuss much

4) Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden, sprung in completeness where his feet pass

5) Well, there's a rose in a fisted glove, and the eagle flies with the dove

6) You won't remember, when this is blown over, and everything's all by the way

7) I keep your picture, upon the wall. It hides a nasty stain that's lying there

8) And only passing time could k*ll the boredom we acquired, running with the losers for a while

9) I keep a-telling you, right smack dab in the middle of town , iI found a paradise that's trouble-proof.

10) I've overcome the blow, I’ve learned to take it well

11) Now as the years roll on, each time we hear our favorite song

12) Many have used her and many still do

13) Pisces, Virgo rising is a very good sign

14) The way she's always payin', for a debt she never owes

15) I'm not so systematic, it's just that I'm an addict for your love

16) We don’t need no thought control, no dark sarcasm in the classroom

17) You're the cutest thing that I ever did see

I really love your peaches, want to shake your tree

18) When we are close, the world is singing

19) For here am I sitting in a tin can, far above the world

Bonus: for the disco-ducks of the 70s

20) You can learn to fake it, keep on trying and you're bound to make it

Happy guessing. Palagay ko si slide rule at sin 16 track alam ang marami dito!

Wow Pareng Pinoy! :wacko:

This is surely one TOUGH BUNCH !!!

Although some of them are "right on the tip of my tongue" (Brenda and the Tabulations), it's only now that I realized this, napakahirap pala magsagot ng ganitong quiz!!! :grr:

Can I cheat?? Hah, I will ask my hubby, since I'm sure you were together A) stoned, B) drunk, C) both, D) none of the above, when you listened to these songs!

YADO was indeed an alternative. For some, it was a convenient way to get through ROTC without being required to get a haircut and minus the marching under the sun. All you had to do to pass was to pay the bivouac fee. In my case, I would even intentionally flunk first sem ROTC so second sem ROTC would be officially deferred. (Good thing ROTC grades were not included in the computation of GPA. Hehehe!) Then, during the summer, I would enroll both first and second sem ROTC courses under YADO. That way, I only pay the bivouac fee once instead of twice per school year. BTW, you didn't even have to actually attend the bivuoac (although you can if you want to). All you needed to do was pay the fee.

Magandang racket yan nung araw! :cool:

Although from what I understand, not all schools recognize YADO as an alternative to ROTC.

From what I remember, YCAP came much earlier. In Grade School to be exact. It was part of our Practical Arts class. We plant vegetables and then after school, we'd mess up the plots of our classmates na kagalit namin. :blush:

Then in HS, there was YDT which took the form of scouting. Boy Scouts kuno. That was another bummer. Dyahi sa chicks pag yung gupit mo sobrang ikli. :evil: Di ko rin pinapasukan yan. I just attend make up classes towards the end of each school year. :D

Kabataang Baranggay? Not my thing. Aktibista ako nung college eh. Hehehe....

Hindi tinatanggap sa UP yung YADO. I got the green card kaya no ROTC for me. :D Getting the green card was one of my most cherished moments in college. :thumbsupsmiley:

For the life of me, I CAN'T recall what I did for YCAP! :sleepysmiley03:

All I remember was I wasn't allowed by my "strict ang peyrents ko" to join the bivouac. So, I have no stories to share...

Yes, Augustmoon, Happy Birthday again! At our age, we definitely should count our blessings, not our years! Right on! (very 70's yun!!) :thumbsupsmiley:

Hi Liberty..thank sa greetings....ikaw naman next week ! At HOLIDAY PA!! :) We'll never grow old kasi naman get down and funky pa rin tayo (70's din yan) !!..kaya pa nga natin maglow rise jeans diba? :D

@Iomax - thanks for the greeting too. :)

Wow Pareng Pinoy! :wacko:

This is surely one TOUGH BUNCH !!!

Can I cheat?? Hah, I will ask my hubby, since I'm sure you were together A) stoned, B) drunk, C) both, D) none of the above, when you listened to these songs!

May kulang iyan Liberty..di mo na mention and together WITH .. :D

Pass ako diyan Pinoy..d ko genre iyan. Hindi kaya ng powers ko <_< ....Unless siguro A) stoned, B) drunk, C) both..pass kay Slide :thumbsupsmiley:

Share ko lang.....

I saw in the latest TIME issue (Aug 7-14) the new ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL Print Ad. The new endorser is ERIC CLAPTON :cool: the COPY went like this...

STYLES CHANGE

SOUL DOES'NT

ERIC CLAPTON is one of music's most lasting figures, with a career spanning four decades. The power of Clapton's playing has garnered him fans from every generation and helped him outlast nearly all his contemporaries. And while Clapton always explores new genres and textures in his songs, the passion he puts into each note remains constant, making him as compelling today as the first time he took the stage.

Dahil dito na LSS ako ng "Change the World" song ni Clapton.

Pasubok lang po uli. :)

Good day to the children of the 70s, the flower wearing, pot-smoking, curfew-avoiding people. With my apologies to mareng liberty I complied some of the songs we listened to while we were either:

a) stoned B) drunk c) both a and b or d) none of the above

Can you guess these popular rock songs/ballads?

1) Frank Zappa and the Mothers were at the best place around, but some stupid with a flare gun, burned the place to the ground

2) She said, 'I'm home on shore leave, though in truth we were at sea

3) Hop on the bus, Gus, you don`t need to discuss much - 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, Paul Simon

4) Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden, sprung in completeness where his feet pass

5) Well, there's a rose in a fisted glove, and the eagle flies with the dove - Love The One You're With, ????

6) You won't remember, when this is blown over, and everything's all by the way

7) I keep your picture, upon the wall. It hides a nasty stain that's lying there

8) And only passing time could k*ll the boredom we acquired, running with the losers for a while

9) I keep a-telling you, right smack dab in the middle of town , iI found a paradise that's trouble-proof. - Up On The Roof, James Taylor (though he's not the original artist)

10) I've overcome the blow, I’ve learned to take it well - Operator, Jim Croce

11) Now as the years roll on, each time we hear our favorite song - Reminiscin', Little River Band

12) Many have used her and many still do - Sweet Painted Lady, Elton John

13) Pisces, Virgo rising is a very good sign - Danny's Song, Loggins & Messina

14) The way she's always payin', for a debt she never owes - Wildflower, Skylark

15) I'm not so systematic, it's just that I'm an addict for your love

16) We don’t need no thought control, no dark sarcasm in the classroom - ????, Pink Floyd

17) You're the cutest thing that I ever did see

I really love your peaches, want to shake your tree

18) When we are close, the world is singing

19) For here am I sitting in a tin can, far above the world

Bonus: for the disco-ducks of the 70s

20) You can learn to fake it, keep on trying and you're bound to make it - Let Me Take You Dancin', Bryan Adams

Happy guessing. Palagay ko si slide rule at sin 16 track alam ang marami dito!

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water (dating anthem ng mga jeproks)

3) Hop on the bus, Gus, you don't need to discuss much

Paul Simon - 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover

Cat Stevens - Morning has Broken

5) Well, there's a rose in a fisted glove, and the eagle flies with the dove

Stephen Stills - Love the One You're With

10) I've overcome the blow, I’ve learned to take it well

Jim Croce - Operator

11) Now as the years roll on, each time we hear our favorite song

Little River Band - Reminiscing

12) Many have used her and many still do

Elton John - Sweet Painted Lady

13) Pisces, Virgo rising is a very good sign

Loggins & Messina - Danny's Song

14) The way she's always payin', for a debt she never owes