Back To The 70's

Remember how Ramon Zamora starred in a movie called "The Pig Boss" way back in the early 70s?

I also remember the hilarious Dolphy and then child star Aga Mulach in FUNG KU.

Back to idol Bruce Lee, when his MOVIE FESTIVAL - Big Boss, Fists of Fury and Way of the Dragon-

hit movie houses in Manila years after his death, we were among the throngs of die-hards who

squeezed our way into this crappy Boulevard Theater fronting Quiapo Church. We even brought our

own baon of sandwiches to last the 5-6 hours showing. Buhay pa yata hanggang ngayon ang sinehang ito. :cool:

The problem is wala na akong records kahit isa man lang. Sige bro. text me na lang. Baon tayo ng wine? :D

hahaha baka bawal uminom dun sa MCS pare!

I really don't know where you would start, pare, if you have no LP's anymore. From what I can remember in my experience, meron na ako dating mga plaka pa from the 70's galing sa uncle ko but at that time wala na akong turntable. I started buying

LP's pag may nakita akong maganda even though I had no phono yet. The presence of great LPs lying around in your house

waiting to be played is a great impetus for you to look for a turntable, come hell or high water, pare (in your case, pare,

high water siguro since your roots are in Malabon :P )

Hi Storm, Bods, Sliderule, Masi and Ms. Augustmoon!

How are you guys?

Just finding the time to drop by. Came across Storm at the Time Piece thread too where I was inquiring about some Omega watch service!

Been so busy the past months... almost no time for anything else as traveling takes up so much of everything.. Sigh.. too tired.. Been on a trip outside the country 3 times just in the month of May alone.

Medyo maluwag na ang schedule ko ngayon for a month or two.

Any EB coming up soon? I really loved the EB we had at Masi and I hope we can have one soon before I get to traveling again. I'll birng wine and cheese.

Speaking of 70's Travel and movement, does anybody remember:

1. The Tropical Hut restaurant on the way to Baguio? Seemed it was only one or two places we can stop for food at that time.

2. Action Transfer stickers that you can buy only at the gas stations after filling up?

3. The old MIA had an old fashioned Roof Deck where well wishers can view planes land and take off? (60's yun but lasted into early 70's)

4. The Datsun 180 B?

5. The Toyota Macho Machine?

6. The Minica?

7. How long it took just to go Batangas, Cavite and Laguna BEFORE the South Expressway was built? That time, we had to take the national highways and a lot of side streets and odd roads. Now going to Tagaytay takes less than an hour.

8. The Easy Rider bicycle?

9. The old wooden scooters with the noisy Ball bearings as wheels?

10. The old KartWay in the JRC compound in Libis -- now its the Eastwood City.

Cheers!

Welcome back, 16track! yes I do hope may EB na para magkita-kita tayo uli....yes pare when you had to go south before pagtyatyagaan mong daanan yung Las Pinas, Zapote, Baclaran, Don Galo, Bacoor eh puro trapik na nun pa man...also going north, dati sa Macarthur Hiway lang ang daan...

Remember how Ramon Zamora starred in a movie called "The Pig Boss" way back in the early 70s?

I can't remember bakit gumawa ng mga German-German Isprakenhayt itong si Ramon Zamora dati, aside from his Kung Fu antics...Dun yata sa Super Laff-In nag-umpisa itong character nyang German...

Hi Storm, Bods, Sliderule, Masi and Ms. Augustmoon!

How are you guys?

Just finding the time to drop by. Came across Storm at the Time Piece thread too where I was inquiring about some Omega watch service!

Been so busy the past months... almost no time for anything else as traveling takes up so much of everything.. Sigh.. too tired.. Been on a trip outside the country 3 times just in the month of May alone.

Medyo maluwag na ang schedule ko ngayon for a month or two.

Any EB coming up soon? I really loved the EB we had at Masi and I hope we can have one soon before I get to traveling again. I'll birng wine and cheese.

Cheers!

Welcome back bro! Sige EB tayo next week. I'm part of the exhibit on the 12th at the Heritage Gallery in Megamall.

Lahat iyan ay napagdaanan nating lahat. Hindi ko natry yung cart noong 70s but natry ko in the 80s na kasabay nang mauso yung bump car.

Malou 3/4 years ahead of us. She just had a sem or two in UP then went to Ateneo....Its was her brother Gabby of the AS Lobby-PL-AS Steps that was a figure in UP. I am pretty sure he is known to you (not discounting that he may even be in your circle) ...I am so very dissapointed that she was just a classmate of yours..or better, I think she is quite disappointed not having had the pleasure (and pride) of having you as, at the least, dance partner :thumbsupsmiley: :)

I read a feature article / saw some pictures of her in the international magazine HELLO last year. She still looks gorgeous, but she barely looks like a Filipina though. Beautiful still..she is in the same caliber as Isabel Preysler, IMO.

Wow, she must still be very gorgeous indeed, being in the same caliber of timeless beauty, Isabel Preysler. :boo:

Hindi naman niya alam yun. Masaya na akong kabatian siya. :D

She was my classmate in Humanities and laging madilim sa classroom because of the countless slide shows of artworks from all ages. :sleepysmiley03:

What was also hot in the 70s was the KUNG FU MARTIAL ARTS movies following the debut of BRUCE LEE in his film THE BIG BOSS (was it in 71?).

Sa GALA THEATRE (w/c was muy famoso sa mga bomba films during that era) ko pa yata napanood ito with a bunch of all my classmates in school uniform pa. :P Paglabas namin ng movie house, karatista na kaming lahat... :P

Tang Lung! Bruce Lee introduced the Kung Fu flicks followed by the TV series of David Carradine which was malayo compared to the great Bruce. But before the Kung Fu flicks, the Japanese Judo and Karate was more popular among Filipinos.

Remember sina Tony Ferrer and Roberto Gonzales.

We saw The Big Boss and Fist of Fury in Quiapo, tapos kumain kami sa Ma Mon Luk. Whoooaaaah. :thumbsupsmiley:

Nice pics from the Big Boss up there. I had already seen a few Shaw Brothers films before I saw the preview for the Big Boss. Soon as I saw it, sabi ko "Hey, that's Kato!". When the film finally opened, I was in Baguio at the time, so I caught it at the Plaza theatre (by the market). If I can recall, may aso pa 'kong nakita sa aisle. :blink:

Anyway, to Bruce Lee's credit, it was he who really introduced HK cinema to the western world. Too bad he wasn't around during the "golden age" of HK action cinema which happened from around 1978-1994. The fight choreography was more intricate, faster and more furious....AND the stars were REAL martial artists (unlike today's canto-pop stars who can't fight but are made to look good with fast editing :angry2: ). It's really sad that KF films were less popular in our country by end of the 70's. Our people missed A LOT!!!

I could start a whole thread on KF films, but I'm hesitant. Most folks today only know Jackie and Jet. Worse, it's their American films that they are being judged for. Sus..... :glare:

The 70's Kung Fu movies also had Meng Fei, Wang Yu and Chen Xing

( did I spell it right? ). However, try hard as they might, Bruce Lee stood alone in his own class.

Wang Yu was more popular in his sword films. I think he starred in the One Arm Swordsman. I saw Meng Fei in the King Boxer and in another movie (I forgot the title) about the Boxer rebellion. Nakatirintas kasing buhok niya. Naging asawa siya ni Elizabeth Oropesa.

hahaha baka bawal uminom dun sa MCS pare!

I really don't know where you would start, pare, if you have no LP's anymore. From what I can remember in my experience, meron na ako dating mga plaka pa from the 70's galing sa uncle ko but at that time wala na akong turntable. I started buying

LP's pag may nakita akong maganda even though I had no phono yet. The presence of great LPs lying around in your house

waiting to be played is a great impetus for you to look for a turntable, come hell or high water, pare (in your case, pare,

high water siguro since your roots are in Malabon :P )

Makinig na lang muna ng LP kung saan pwede. I think, that would be great.

Yup, yung German Ramon Zamora started in Super laff-In. Ramon Zamora was also a professional dancer.

( did I spell it right? ). However, try hard as they might, Bruce Lee stood alone in his own class.

Hi everyone,

I just want to share a bit of trivia about Bruce Lee that many people may not know. A one-hour documentary of his life was shown on tv in the US a few years ago and it showed that prior to becoming a martial arts expert, Bruce Lee was a very good cha-cha dancer. In fact, he was the champion in a cha-cha dance contest in Hong Kong in the mid-60s. The documentary even showed film clips of him doing the dance steps. :cool:

To Mr. 16Track, kudos to you for the Beatles thread you maintained some time back. I came across it a couple of months ago and I was awed by the depth and volume of information you shared. Thank you very much for that. Regards. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by willow_boy

There was this chinoy KF actor too who stood as the kontrabida in Ramon Zamora's films---TSING TSONG TSAI.

My buddies and I cannot forget this name because we always utter the same words whenever we order tea. :P

Edited by Mandrake

Hi There, Willow!

Thanks. Can't help it , bro! hehe!

Still a Beatles boy and no signs of growing up. The Beatles disbanded in 71 yata-- so 70's pa din. Besides, I got my full exposure to them in the 70's back in elementary school -- just right about when I started to learn how to play the guitar.

I love Paul and John but George was my idol. Matter of fact, after the breakup as Joh and Paul laid low for awhile as they prepared to go on solo -- George immediately came out with his own solo album and his own record label which was called , if I remember right "Dark Horse". George Harrision issued not one but a double LP called "ALL THINGS MUST PASS".

Just showed how much restrained and held back he was when he was in the Beatles as songs were generally wrote by Lennon McCartney and all others go by their approval.

One large feather in George's cap was staging the very first mega BENEFIT CONCERT called "CONCERT FOR BANGLADESH" which was aimed in helping the starving people of that country. George called on his pals to help out and among them were:

Eric Clapton on lead Guitar, Leon Russel on Piano and Bass, Ringo Starr on Drums and the performance of Bob Dylan.

The idea was originally from Indian sitar master Ravi Shankar--- who just happens to be Nora Jones erpat. Ravi called up George and told him of the suffering in Bangladesh and asked for help.

In the interview, the press queried George on why he staged the concert. His short reply was.... "Because a friend asked me to help".

Simple and straight/ Very George in nature.

CHeers! :D

Hi everyone,

I just want to share a bit of trivia about Bruce Lee that many people may not know. A one-hour documentary of his life was shown on tv in the US a few years ago and it showed that prior to becoming a martial arts expert, Bruce Lee was a very good cha-cha dancer. In fact, he was the champion in a cha-cha dance contest in Hong Kong in the mid-60s. The documentary even showed film clips of him doing the dance steps. :cool:

To Mr. 16Track, kudos to you for the Beatles thread you maintained some time back. I came across it a couple of months ago and I was awed by the depth and volume of information you shared. Thank you very much for that. Regards. :thumbsupsmiley:

Hi There, Willow!

Still a Beatles boy and no signs of growing up. The Beatles disbanded in 71 yata-- so 70's pa din. Besides, I got my full exposure to them in the 70's back in elementary school -- just right about when I started to learn how to play the guitar.

I love Paul and John but George was my idol. Matter of fact, after the breakup as Joh and Paul laid low for awhile as they prepared to go on solo -- George immediately came out with his own solo album and his own record label which was called , if I remember right "Dark Horse". George Harrision issued not one but a double LP called "ALL THINGS MUST PASS".

Just showed how much restrained and held back he was when he was in the Beatles as songs were generally wrote by Lennon McCartney and all others go by their approval.

One large feather in George's cap was staging the very first mega BENEFIT CONCERT called "CONCERT FOR BANGLADESH" which was aimed in helping the starving people of that country. George called on his pals to help out and among them were:

Eric Clapton on lead Guitar, Leon Russel on Piano and Bass, Ringo Starr on Drums and the performance of Bob Dylan.

The idea was originally from Indian sitar master Ravi Shankar--- who just happens to be Nora Jones erpat. Ravi called up George and told him of the suffering in Bangladesh and asked for help.

In the interview, the press queried George on why he staged the concert. His short reply was.... "Because a friend asked me to help".

When he was still with the Beatles, George mentioned how he felt stifled everytime they went into a recording studio. He said he always had two or three songs under his belt but because John and Paul's songs were always so much better (according to George) he was not really able to give free rein to his artistry while part of the group. His star really shot up when the Beatles disbanded. I remember My Sweet Lord lording it over the airwaves back in "74 - it was really such a monster hit. Every radio station that time seemed to be playing it every hour! :D

I still have George's Cloud Nine album both in LP and cassette format :P Great tunes there, with super artists like Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne (of ELO), Ringo Starr, Elton John all lending their contributions...

The record label George Harrison established when he went solo was very apt. George Harrison was always the Dark Horse in the Beatles lineup :P

cheers, pare! kitakits uli!

Hi There, Willow!

16track, bods1000.

Kumusta na kayo? Like you 16track, I also became a fan of the Beatles when I was in elementary. In fact, I still remember the day. I was 7 years old and one afternoon, Channel 9 showed "A Hard Day's Night" on tv. From the opening scene pa lang where John, George, and Ringo were being chased fans, I was hooked. I loved the movie and the music! :thumbsupsmiley: I was never the same. Haha :D

As you can tell from my avatar, I'm a huge John Lennon fan. I admired (I still do) his wit judging from his poetry and the words of his songs. I love his music because in my opinion, the sound was groundbreaking and very original. As a person, he (like George) was also a very compassionate human being given his involvement in charity work and the peace movement during the 1970s. :cool:

Para hindi OT, one could just imagine what a 1971 Beatles album would have been like had they stayed together. It would have contained the following great post-Beatles songs: Imagine, My Sweet Lord, My Love, Maybe I'm Amazed, and Jealous Guy. Sayang...

Since we're now in a Beatles mode, please share your experiences to these questions:

Where were you when you heard the news about John's death? How did you feel? What did it mean to you personally?

That was Dec. 9/80 in Singapore with my folks when we heard about the assassination. I just thought to myself that the Beatles reunion every fan was praying for was not really going to happen after all. That was a sad day to

pop culture. :(

Since we're now in a Beatles mode, please share your experiences to these questions:

Where were you when you heard the news about John's death? How did you feel? What did it mean to you personally?

I was home watching the news on what was then known as PTV 4. Von Vibar was the PTV-4 newscaster on that night when he announced (I still vividly remember the words) "Former Beatle John Lennon was shot dead outside his home by a lone gunman...." Like most Beatle fans, I was so shocked and saddened by the news. Though he was thought of as the "arrogant" Beatle by some fans and critics, deep within, the man had a very kind heart and it showed through his involvement with charity work and the peace movement. The Beatles even turned down an invitation to tour South Africa in the mid-60s. John's statement when he turned the invitation down was "We never played in front of segregated audiences and we're not going to start now."

As a Beatle fan, Lennon's murder dashed any hope of a true Beatles reunion. It would have been great had John been around in the mid-90s when Paul, George, and Ringo finally set aside their differences, reunited, and came out with the Beatles Anthology series of DVDs and CDs. That would have been something else, right?

Personally, Lennon is a huge influence not just on my political views but also on how I lead my personal life. I will leave it at that. :)

Edited by willow_boy

I can't remember really where I was or what I was doing when I heard about John's murder but what I remember well enough is the fact that somehow I felt that a chapter in my life has been abruptly boxed, closed and labled as an archive file of the past. It was as if a signal was given that an era has passed and we all must now move on -- with the aim of trying to live out what John wanted most--which was peace and harmony all throughout. Sadly, we're still trying...

On trips to the US East Coast, I always make it a point to stop by Strawberry Fileds in Central park and visit the "Imagine" mosaic of John Lennon. It's a moving experience as one will be pleasantly surprised to see candles lilt even up to now.

I do remember George's death however. I was watching CNN when news of his passing was announced and Paul McCartney was on the program confirming the announcement himself. He said that all throughout their lives, George remained like his baby brother and will not be forgotten.

That night, my musician friends and I gathered in a private studio and held a George Harrison party where we played nothing but Beatles and George Harrision songs up through the morning. It was that serious for all of us. Medyo funny to think about it that a group of grown men will do that but we readily aknowledge George's influence on us -- not just in music but also in the way of living our lives.

Paul said.. The Love you take is equal to the Love you make.

John said ... "Imagine".

George said.. "Give me love, give me hope, give me Peace on earth".

Edited by 16track
I can't remember really where I was or what I was doing when I heard about John's murder but what I remember well enough is the fact that somehow I felt that a chapter in my life has been abruptly boxed, closed and labled as an archive file of the past.

I was at home when I heard the news on 99.5RT. The station abruptly put together a one hour tribute playing Lennon songs.

On trips to the US East Coast, I always make it a point to stop by Strawberry Fileds in Central park and visit the "Imagine" mosaic of John Lennon. It's a moving experience as one will be pleasantly surprised to see candles lilt even up to now.

Yeh! I've had my picture taken at Strawberry Fields and also at the Dakota apartments. On a trip to London, I also had my picture taken at Abbey Road. I've actually been there twice but still can't make out which part of the street was featured in the Abbey Road album where the four of them were pictured crossing the pedestrian lane with a Volkwagen Beetle parked in the background. Abbey Road today (at least that area where the Apple studio used to be) appears narrower than in the picture and it's a tow-away zone so there aren't any parked vehicles there. Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong place? :unsure:

Kumusta na kayo? Like you 16track, I also became a fan of the Beatles when I was in elementary. In fact, I still remember the day. I was 7 years old and one afternoon, Channel 9 showed "A Hard Day's Night" on tv. From the opening scene pa lang where John, George, and Ringo were being chased fans, I was hooked. I loved the movie and the music! :thumbsupsmiley: I was never the same. Haha :D

My introduction to the Beatles was thru a record which my mother bought. Ob-la-di Ob-la-da with the George Harrison classic While My Guitar Gently Weeps on Side B. The first Beatles song that I really liked was Two Of Us from the Let It Be album that my older cousins used to play over and over again at my grandmother's house when I was small.

Yup. That was the album released without any formal title--but the color of the jacket was white and simply ststed "The Beatles" -- hence, everyone started calling it as the "The White Album".

Eric Clapton, as many know by now-- played the scorching guitar solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" -- which he and George played again in several concerts together in the 70's and the mid 80's.

George, by the way,got sued for My Sweet Lord -- by the writers of the song, "He So fine"--- which was later settled amicably.

Of all the Beatles, Paul McCartney got the best of the 70's. His band the Wings went on the highly successful "Wings Over America Tour". Remember Paul's songs in the 70's?:

1. Band on the run

2. Let Me roll It

3. Silly Love Songs

4. Maybe I'm Amazed

5. My Love

6. With A Little Luck

7. Live and Let Die

Edited by 16track
Of all the Beatles, Paul McCartney got the best of the 70's. His band the Wings went on the highly successful "Wings Over America Tour". Remember Paul's songs in the 70's?:

1. Band on the run

2. Let Me roll It

3. Silly Love Songs

4. Maybe I'm Amazed

5. My Love

6. With A Little Luck

7. Live and Let Die

The very first CD I bought was in Tower Records in the States in '91 and it was 'McCartney' - the one with Maybe I'm Amazed, Junk, That would be Something, Lovely Linda.

On the day I found out 'bout John's death:

I walked into the studios of 99.5RT where a friend was on board. As I entered, he turned to me and asked if I heard the news about Lennon. I asked what it was...and it surely wasn't anything I expected, to make it short.

As the day went on, I was wondering why the death of someone I never knew personally was affecting me the way it was. I had already lost someone "very close" a year or 2 earlier, so this was something else. Already plastered by evening, my Beatle lp's were all out of the shelf and only the cuts with John doing the main vocals would be played. The moment "In My Life" started playing, I think I started to understand what I was feeling. Like so many across the globe whose lives were touched by the Beatles, I found myself shedding tears with great pain.

I also haven't forgotten the events on the day I heard about George.....even if we witness more deaths as we grow older. That was surely a busy day on the internet.