Back To The 70's

the close friendship of George and Eric never took a bad turn. :mtc:

Right!.....and the "Concert for George" dvd proved that. One of the most emotionally-satisfiying post-Beatle shows in recent memory. Eric was the musical director for the show, and more of George's "close friends" showed up for a memorable evening.

Paul's "Live in Red Square" dvd is the only one that matches this in terms of emotional satisfaction. Get it even just for the bonus concert in Leningrad. It's Paul at his rockin' best with his best band in years! Better pa than the "Back in the USA" dvd (which is also worth seeing/having).

These 2 dvd's would satisfy any Beatle fan.....I guarantee it!

Edited by starbuck911
I can't give away too much here cuz this is a 70's thread...but since Beatles pa rin ang pinag-uusapan niyo, how 'bout this for starters? http://www.beatlesradio.com ---24/7 of Beatles and anything-related. Willow Boy, if you read this, I will let you have the floor to share your thoughts on this site to our threadmates. :)

Pareng starbuck911 is right. I've checked out this website and I regret na my computer does not have a good set of speakers to thoroughly enjoy it. However, aside from round-the-clock Beatles music, the site provides the latest news on anything Beatle, trivia, collectibles, online stores, etc. A great site for the true Beatle fan. So if you're in the mood to listen to Beatles music, definitely check this out! :cool:

Pards, I'm glad to know that the rockofmanila site is back online. It's a great site and nostalgic. Sige, magbabasa muna ako.... :D

A brother in music!

:) :) :D

I always try to point this out to the younger set who simply associate the decade with disco and retro music and then tend to leave it at that. The 70's was such a cornucopia of music that it produced not just disco and pop but it also abridged and encompassed quite a depth of talented musicians who left the decade with an indelible imprint of their legacy -- a venerable lode of artistical gems that still sound as fresh as when they were recorded. Beck's Wired album and Al Di Meola's Roller Jubillee track come to mind and are prime examples.

There were so many of them... Jeff Beck, Denny Diaz, Joe Sample, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Al Di Meola, Pat Metheny, Tom Scott, Hubert Laws, Wilbert Longmire, Jay Graydon, Donald Fagen, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Dave Grusin, George Benson, Clapton, Steve Winwood, Yes, Mahogany Rush, John Scofield, John Maclaughlin, Deodato, Chick Corea, Ramsey Lewis, Chicago, Lynard Skynard, Hendrix [before he died], Ten Years After and so much more.

Back then, we bought an album and avidly listened to it's entirety. It was not rare to discuss an album on a track per track context. That is why when asked about a certain artist, we tend to think in terms of album titles aside from singles. Any body care to spell out the Led Zep albums? These days, I think that CDs are purchased more on the strength of a hot hit single. The singles are copied and then burned in a CD complation of hits. Nothing wrong with that though, just stating my opinion on the differences. Personal opinion lng.

You are correct about Ramon Jacinto and it's a bit sad to state that the station had it most glorious years without him. Additionally, I feel the same way about Baby Gil's column. Often times, I find myself asking if she really knows what she's writing about or to some extent-- at least write about other artists from other genres other than pop.

As for RJ, I really believe it has taken quite a turn. At that time, we had the likes of Cousin Hoagy, Howlin Dave and the Red Rooster-- nowadays, the station has Long tall Howard and HillBilly Willy.... what a bummer.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I've been waiting to see a post like this here. The 70's (musical) references and recollections I've seen here for the most part are based on top 40, disco, or whatever was hot on the radio at the time. Sure, there were a few roses among the thorns...but as I've said on another post: Pop music is sweet, easy to digest, and has a taste that appeals to the majority......but when you have too much sugar...(you know the rest). I always preferred the spicy stuff.

RJ/UW was a lot better when Ramon Jacinto had nothing to do with it. Maybe before martial law, may pag-asa pa siya (cuz he let his people do their thing back then), but he later showed his true musical colors when he reclaimed what was his. The oldies they play are sobrang based on the white america of his generation. Hardly any respect for black music. Always the major (predictable) hits pa, and hardly any minor hits (which often aged a lot better). The album-oriented format died a long time ago. But that's the way it is with radio today, which is a waste of our cultural time. Stations are now run by marketing people who don't know sh*t about music. Ok....tama na. :D

I was an occasional contributor to those RJ/UW days during martial law...because some of the people working there were close friends. By the time Brother Wayne bastardized the word fusion, it was already the end of an era. In a musical sense, we have been a culturally-deprived nation ever since. We had to rely on ourselves to find the spicy stuff, for it has been long-dead on our shores. I remain defiant towards our pop culture to this day (at least 98% of it). I once wrote a scathing letter to media publicist Baby Gil after she has time and again abused the word "diva" in her columns. I think she toned it down ever since.....The internet is now the best alternative for music, new AND old IMHO. Even the kids know it. :)

Edited by 16track
As for RJ, I really believe it has taken quite a turn. At that time, we had the likes of Cousin Hoagy, Howlin Dave and the Red Rooster-- nowadays, the station has Long tall Howard and HillBilly Willy.... what a bummer.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

S@#t!!! HillBilly Willy sa RJ? Talk about total loss of credibility!! :thumbsdownsmiley:

:D Hahah!

I still listen to RJ but only on certain times now as they do play on occasion a gem or two. For example, they play non-stop Beatles every day from 5-6 every morning. Good time to listen in when I bring the kids to school or when I'm driving to the golf course.

It's when these former AM DJs take control of the board that things start getting cheeky.

I mean... so many useless and senseless greetings on air... "Hi to Tita Elsie from Jinny!"... Good morning to Wanda, Joy, Thelma and Cynthia from your friends from Cubao!... Hello Jobert, this is from Wilma!".... sigh... Why they do this I may never quite understand...The next thing I know, my hands automatically change the station.

Where have you gone, Joe Di Maggio?

:)

S@#t!!! HillBilly Willy sa RJ? Talk about total loss of credibility!! :thumbsdownsmiley:
:D Hahah!

I still listen to RJ but only on certain times now as they do play on occasion a gem or two. For example, they play non-stop Beatles every day from 5-6 every morning. Good time to listen in when I bring the kids to school or when I'm driving to the golf course.

It's when these former AM DJs take control of the board that things start getting cheeky.

I mean... so many useless and senseless greetings on air... "Hi to Tita Elsie from Jinny!"... Good morning to Wanda, Joy, Thelma and Cynthia from your friends from Cubao!... Hello Jobert, this is from Wilma!".... sigh... Why they do this I may never quite understand...The next thing I know, my hands automatically change the station.

Like you, I would be changing the station too. :thumbsdownsmiley: Bakyang-bakya na. Why can't these stations do their part in uplifting our culture? I agree with what starbuck911 said in a previous posting na a majority of our countrymen's taste in music is so focused on the current top hits, the current bands, the current fads, etc. I loath it whenever I hear people say "baduy" or "laos na iyan" whenever they hear some old song being played on the radio. I try to ignore them pero nakakainis na minsan because they prefer to wallow in ignorance rather than expand their horizons. Oh well....

How 'bout that Chico and Delemar? Those two are supposed to be the hottest morning crew on the air? Mwahahaha! Who said so? Baka si Baby Gil nanaman (the anti-christ of cool).

Perhaps if Delemar can say penis on the air, I may give them a listen. If they can tell their celebrity guests, "I don't care about your latest cd or movie. I want to know who your bangin'!", maybe I'll reconsider. If Chico would ask Delemar (a self-confessed virgin daw) what she does to pleasure herself in the meantime, Baby Gil would be right for once.

Hi Delemar!...(if you're reading this)..... :hypocritesmiley:

I loath it whenever I hear people say "baduy" or "laos na iyan" whenever they hear some old song being played on the radio. I try to ignore them pero nakakainis na minsan because they prefer to wallow in ignorance rather than expand their horizons. Oh well....

One only needs to check out the music section in this forum to agree with you, bro.

Some of the younger set are really products of the media culture that has engulfed them. They need to label everything and put them in a box. "What's the greatest so-and-so?"...."Who's the best this-and-that?" Sometimes you just wanna grab their ipods and place it in the center of EDSA.

How 'bout that Chico and Delemar? Those two are supposed to be the hottest morning crew on the air? Mwahahaha! Who said so? Baka si Baby Gil nanaman (the anti-christ of cool).

Perhaps if Delemar can say penis on the air, I may give them a listen. If they can tell their celebrity guests, "I don't care about your latest cd or movie. I want to know who your bangin'!", maybe I'll reconsider. If Chico would ask Delemar (a self-confessed virgin daw) what she does to pleasure herself in the meantime, Baby Gil would be right for once.

Hi Delemar!...(if you're reading this).....

One only needs to check out the music section in this forum to agree with you, bro.

Some of the younger set are really products of the media culture that has engulfed them. They need to label everything and put them in a box. "What's the greatest so-and-so?"...."Who's the best this-and-that?" Sometimes you just wanna grab their ipods and place it in the center of EDSA.

My kids listen to 93.1 on their way to school and they find the two hilarious.

Pare, natawa ako rito. This made my day!!!! IPOD sa EDSA! :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

I'm listening now to 12" remixes of yore in my Itunes radio.

Just like you, the "more talk less music" format doesn't work for me either. I mean, do I care if some pathetic guy wants to let the whole world know that he's in love with this girl from Cubao or wherever? And what the DJ ate the night before? I just don't have the patience to put up with 15 minutes of crap talk for every 3 minutes of music. So, in my case, I've just completely given up on playing the radio in my car. When the tuner got broken, I never even bothered to get it fixed. As long as the cd player is working, I just burn my own cds and listen only to the songs I want to hear depending on the time of day, my mood, and the traffic situation.

Back then, we bought an album and avidly listened to it's entirety. It was not rare to discuss an album on a track per track context. That is why when asked about a certain artist, we tend to think in terms of album titles aside from singles. Any body care to spell out the Led Zep albums? These days, I think that CDs are purchased more on the strength of a hot hit single. The singles are copied and then burned in a CD complation of hits. Nothing wrong with that though, just stating my opinion on the differences. Personal opinion lng.

Yeh I know what you mean. For example, I can listen to Lep Zep 4 etc. non-stop and like every song in the album. And even know intimately how one song ends and the next song begins. A case in point is EWF (since I'm also into funk). The song Reasons just isn't the same without Shining Star preceding it. For a time, I was suspecting that I'm merely being OC (obsessive-compulsive) but later on, I got to know more people who can play in their minds how each album transitions from one song to the next. Maybe you're also one of them Pareng 16track? :unsure:

Those who are still unaware of the thousands of internet radio stations (am/fm, internet-only) from around the world available to each and every one of us are missing a whole lot! It's one of the best things about the net. It can't be fully appreciated on dial-up, which is why it's doomed to be a thing of the past. The advertising dollars being spent on internet media nowadays prove me right.

Nothwithstanding all my earlier rantings about the state of some local radio stations, when I used to live overseas a few years back, I would actually listen to Manila FM stations particularly 105.1 via the internet. Of course there would be other stations too that I'd tune into via the web but mostly, it's the webcast of 105.1 that I would listen to at home or in the office. And for several good reasons including:

1. I miss the sounds of Manila (as opposed to...see next reason)

2. The whole concept of crossover is lost in the country where I lived. There, local stations routinely play Elvis one moment, then either Britney or Ricky Martin followed by the theme from Lion King. :evil: "All Songs in the English Language" lumped into one general category seems to be their idea of being hip! :grr:

And OK so we don't deviate too far away from the thread topic, here's one more:

3. It's good to hear the 70s songs I grew up with although admittedly on the tamer, mellower side but without going overboard (read Abba, Air Supply etc) :D :P :D

(With all due apologies to the fans of these groups I just mentioned...)

heheh!

Guilty bro!

I know what you meant with LedZep4 as I feel the same way with LedZepII as well. I mean.. how can you think of "Heartbreaker" without expecting the intro to " Livin Lovin Maid" to kick in a mere 4 beats after Heartbreaker ends???

Or when you expect Ringo Starr to sing the opening lines of "With A Little Help From My Friends" immediately right after the "billy shears' portion of "Sgt. Peppers", right?

Just like you, the "more talk less music" format doesn't work for me either. I mean, do I care if some pathetic guy wants to let the whole world know that he's in love with this girl from Cubao or wherever? And what the DJ ate the night before? I just don't have the patience to put up with 15 minutes of crap talk for every 3 minutes of music. So, in my case, I've just completely given up on playing the radio in my car. When the tuner got broken, I never even bothered to get it fixed. As long as the cd player is working, I just burn my own cds and listen only to the songs I want to hear depending on the time of day, my mood, and the traffic situation.

Yeh I know what you mean. For example, I can listen to Lep Zep 4 etc. non-stop and like every song in the album. And even know intimately how one song ends and the next song begins. A case in point is EWF (since I'm also into funk). The song Reasons just isn't the same without Shining Star preceding it. For a time, I was suspecting that I'm merely being OC (obsessive-compulsive) but later on, I got to know more people who can play in their minds how each album transitions from one song to the next. Maybe you're also one of them Pareng 16track? :unsure:

Edited by 16track

To Dirty Harry Fans: (1971 Rlease)

Remember this speech?

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?"

Edited by 16track

From Magnum Force.....

Police Chief: "Callahan, I'm giving you a 60-day suspension!"

Clint (with his squint): "Make it 90!"

From The Stone Killer (I think).....

Charles Bronson (pointing a gun): Do you believe in God?

(The bad guy nods his head nervously)

Bronson: Good, cuz you're about to meet him! BLAM! :lol:

From (the king of wooden acting) Chuck Norris.....

"Shut up! If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you!"

From (the king of wooden acting) Chuck Norris.....

Natawa ko dito! :D :D :D

So I take it you're not a big fan of Walker, Texas Ranger??? That makes two of us... :D :P :D

Actually, I liked Chuck Norris early in his career when he appeared in Way of the Dragon....wait...did he get beaten up in that one? :unsure: :rolleyes: :unsure: Hehehehe :D

Just like you, the "more talk less music" format doesn't work for me either. I mean, do I care if some pathetic guy wants to let the whole world know that he's in love with this girl from Cubao or wherever?

I don't mind talk radio, but if the jocks are going to entertain someone like me, I want the conversation to be just like the way we talk to our own friends. We are so limited in this area because people get so sensitive here (sorry to say). People can't say what they feel about certain personalities (even when they deserve a good-ol' thrashing) because they might be served a subpoena for libel. They can't talk about sex because they're gonna get non-stop phone calls from the religious right (ugh!). They can't even make fun of sports personalities. If you get in to something like "Who are the ugliest PBA players today? Let's take your phone calls!", may mapipikon diyan, for sure.

If I can use your example in order to make the show more entertaining: I'd ask the pathetic guy what he likes about this girl from Cubao. "Nagagandahan ka ba sa boobs niya?" "Is she a B cup? C cup?" "What's her skin like? Fair? Light? Dark?" "Maingay ba siya sa kama?"...and stuff like that. See...to my mind, I don't think I'm being bastos. I'm merely asking him to give us a picture of this woman. Since radio is "theatre of the mind", I'm simply getting the guy to paint us a mental picture of this woman even if she looks like Menggay in real life. In other words, I've got the listeners' attention just by being so interested in her! I'm certain my ratings would go up, and it would certainly please the advertisers. Too bad it doesn't work that way here. A comedy show is all for fun and not to be taken too seriously, but we can't seem to understand that. Therefore, our talk shows are flat, unfunny, and a bit "Imeldific".

So back to the music...

Chico: So Delemar, what do you do to pleasure yourself while waiting for the right guy? Wait...I've got an idea....give me your hand! I want to smell your fingers right now......(Man, if only they would be unafraid to push the envelope) :rolleyes:

So I take it you're not a big fan of Walker, Texas Ranger??? That makes two of us... :D :P :D

Actually, I do enjoy watching bits of it when it's shown on Late Night with Conan. You can see how popular this segment is on Conan's show. Without saying a single word, the clips from Walker, TR speak for themselves.....and that's why we laugh.

I don't mind talk radio, but if the jocks are going to entertain someone like me, I want the conversation to be just like the way we talk to our own friends.

Oh I was referring to those jocks reading so-called love notes and greetings or where callers are allowed to go on the air and say their greetings themselves complete with background feedback coming from the loud radio just because the caller obviously wants to know how he/she sounds on the radio. That doesn't work for me.

I agree with you. If I am made to listen to that at all, at least make it interesting. Give me a reason why I should care why this Pedro loves that Inday. What is she like? Does he really think greeting her on the air will get him anywhere with this girl? Hey, I'm all for spicing it up a bit! And instead of guys like Chico telling me ho-hum stuff like what he ate for breakfast, let him talk about how he got laid the night before, if at all.

Again, at the risk of being OT, let me find a way to end this post with something 70s related.... Damian Sotto comes to mind. :evil: Even the Tulfo brothers would pale in comparison.... Not the stuff you'd allow your kids to hear, of course.

Again, at the risk of being OT, let me find a way to end this post with something 70s related.... Damian Sotto comes to mind. :evil: Even the Tulfo brothers would pale in comparison.... Not the stuff you'd allow your kids to hear, of course.

Ok....back to the 70's. Perhaps you guys can refresh my memory here.

During the mid-70's, at the height of martial law and censorship, there used to be a number of cassette copies circulating around town that contained a number of professionally-produced skits na "puro kabastusan". It featured a number of celebs during the time, and all I could remember among the performers were Elizabeth Ramsey and Ariel Ureta (because his segments were out-of-place and trying-hard unfunny). The "notorius" tape was a breath of fresh air for many of us during such as repressive time. I still remember one skit in particular where a woman was offended by her BF's remark that she had a loose p*ssy. The rest of the skit went something like this:

Female: Sige, ipasok mo ang kaliwang kamay mo!

Male: Huh?

F: Ipasok mo!

M: (grunting) O yan, pasok na!

F: Ngayon, ipasok mo yung kabilang kamay mo.

M: Huh?

F: (yelling) Ipasok mo!

M: (grunting again) O yan, nasa loob na yung dalawang kamay ko!

F: O ngayon, pumalakpak ka.

M: (perplexed) Ano?

F: (yelling) Pumalakpak ka!

M: (grunts again) 'Di ko kaya!

F: O, kita mo na? Pagkatapos, sasabihin mo sa 'kin na maluag ang p*ki ko! :blink: :lol:

Classic stuff.....If the tape now rings a bell (and it should!), who were the other performers on this tape? Anyone knows the story behind this tape?

Edited by starbuck911
Classic stuff.....If the tape now rings a bell (and it should!), who were the other performers on this tape? Anyone knows the story behind this tape?

Unfortunately, that tape probably came out while I was still too young to be allowed to listen to it. Hahaha! What I do recall is listening to an LP by Cheech & Chong which I thought at that time was hilarious. My favorite segment from that album is "Ear Ache My Eye" which went something like this:

Rock music playing on the background with guitar solo.

Sound of turntable needle scratching on a record as someone puts the loud music to a sudden stop.

Son: Hey! What's the matter man? You ruined my record. I just bought it...

Father: I don't care what you just bought. Now get penny-perpendicular and get ready for school!

Son: I'm not going to school

Father: And why not?

Son: Coz I got an ear ache, that's why not.

Father: Ear ache my eye! How would you like a butt ache?

And the conversations go on and on using colorful language that to me, at that time, was both amusing and shocking. Another favorite is that segment with a police officer being invited to a class of HS students to discuss drugs.

Cheech, of course, would be the most popular of the two. None other than Cheech Marin who in recent years played the role of Kevin Costner's caddie in Tin Cup.

Edited by Magaling

Cheech and Chong!

I had a copy of that tape --"Going Up in Smoke", was it?

That was a hit duo in the 70's. Chong created a character who was always stoned and who punctuated his every sentence with the term"MAN". Like... Hey, man ... I was there man ...and you know, man.

Eventually, the act became so popular that he needed to give that character a name and so he ended up naming him, what else but.."MAN". =)

I don't mind talk radio, but if the jocks are going to entertain someone like me, I want the conversation to be just like the way we talk to our own friends. We are so limited in this area because people get so sensitive here (sorry to say). People can't say what they feel about certain personalities (even when they deserve a good-ol' thrashing) because they might be served a subpoena for libel. They can't talk about sex because they're gonna get non-stop phone calls from the religious right (ugh!). They can't even make fun of sports personalities. If you get in to something like "Who are the ugliest PBA players today? Let's take your phone calls!", may mapipikon diyan, for sure.

If I can use your example in order to make the show more entertaining: I'd ask the pathetic guy what he likes about this girl from Cubao. "Nagagandahan ka ba sa boobs niya?" "Is she a B cup? C cup?" "What's her skin like? Fair? Light? Dark?" "Maingay ba siya sa kama?"...and stuff like that. See...to my mind, I don't think I'm being bastos. I'm merely asking him to give us a picture of this woman. Since radio is "theatre of the mind", I'm simply getting the guy to paint us a mental picture of this woman even if she looks like Menggay in real life. In other words, I've got the listeners' attention just by being so interested in her! I'm certain my ratings would go up, and it would certainly please the advertisers. Too bad it doesn't work that way here. A comedy show is all for fun and not to be taken too seriously, but we can't seem to understand that. Therefore, our talk shows are flat, unfunny, and a bit "Imeldific".

So back to the music...

Chico: So Delemar, what do you do to pleasure yourself while waiting for the right guy? Wait...I've got an idea....give me your hand! I want to smell your fingers right now......(Man, if only they would be unafraid to push the envelope) :rolleyes:

These are the stuff I want to hear on radio!!! Hehehe. :cool: No that's Paris Hot! :evil:

Actually, I do enjoy watching bits of it when it's shown on Late Night with Conan. You can see how popular this segment is on Conan's show. Without saying a single word, the clips from Walker, TR speak for themselves.....and that's why we laugh.

I enjoyed those segment from Conan. :D

Superstition is playing now on All Hits 70s on Sky.FM

I aso heard of the bastos tape with canned laughter.

Year of Decision by The Three Degrees is now playing. :D :D :D

I think, I'll go out today. Who wants an EB tonight?

Off Topic lang... sorry.

Signing off temporarily (once again) as it seems I'm up for another trip to the Lion City very soon. Huge convention in Singapore by the IMF and World Bank in early September coming up and we have to prepare. Hmm... wasn't the IMF here as well in the 70's? Can't remember...

Leaving you guys with this 70's cartoon theme:

http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/wait-father.mp3

Anybody remember the "candle that looks like a light bulb"

Regards to everyone! :)