Back To The 70's

THE BEATLES!!!!!

We're also a bunch of Beatles fans and we collected all their albums and some singles. What I meant with "we" are me and my older cousins. As the youngest in the group of "Joes" (we call each other Joe even up to now), the only Beatles album I bought was I think the last one - Let it Be. I was in grade 5 then.

I know by the looking at your avatars, the majority here idolize the great John Lennon. Lennon was The Beatles! The rest were merely there for the support and kilig factor personified by the cute Sir Paul. IMHO John Lennon was the greatest songwriter among the Beatles. Bilib talaga ako but I think Paul has a the best voice and he was the one who sang most of our favorite Beatles song.

BTW, when I was in Grade 5 until Grade 6, I made money drawing and painting Beatles Posters. The price ranged from 5-10 pesos per cartolina sized poster. The most requested one was that of John Lennon's face with the round eyeglasses, then I put sayings and song titles like "LOVE. Here, There and Everywhere", "Here Comes the Sun", etc.

Putik, bigla akong nagkaroon ng inspirasyon dito. Biglang naalala ko yung mga posters na ginawa ko. :boo: Makapagpinta nga or makagawa nga ng Beatles series of sculptures. :P

Nang napatay si Manong John, nawala na ang aming pag-asang magkakabalikan pa ang Beatles. :( :cry:

Wala nang nagawang seryoso or matinong kanta si Sir Paul after natapos ang kanilang collaboration ni Lennon.

Some favorites (written way before George's death):

1) What will it take to re-unite the Beatles?.....Three more bullets! (my 1st impression was "oooohhhh"...crude and dark, but made me laugh)

2) How come you can't go to the bathroom during a Beatles concert?.....There's no John!

(O, tawa naman!) :D

Edited by starbuck911
Wala nang nagawang seryoso or matinong kanta si Sir Paul after natapos ang kanilang collaboration ni Lennon.

I agree with this statement, Pareng Storm. The Billboard charts of the 70s bare this out.

Lennon's music, especially his three- or four-chord songs early in the Beatle years, defined the Beatle sound. The first four Beatle songs to hit #1 ("Please, Please Me", "From Me To You", "She Loves You", and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand") were all John Lennon songs. The first McCartney song to hit #1 was "Can't Buy Me Love" and this took place in 1964 more than a year after the Beatles gained fame in the UK.

Though Paul remained "popular" during the 1970s, it is quite ironic that unlike the other 3 Beatles, Paul was the one whose songs failed to hit #1 in the Billboard charts. Aside from John's "Imagine" and "Happy X'mas, War Is Over", both George and Ringo were also able to score #1 hits with their songs "My Sweet Lord" and "Photograph", respectively.

Now, news just came out that Paul just released a classical album..... :sleepysmiley03:

Edited by willow_boy

Admittedly, there was a time when BEATLEMANIA had its lowdown following the remark of John in '66 during some interview that they were "more popular than Jesus Christ" and their infamous snub of then first Lady Imelda Marcos' invitation for a Malacanang visit during their Phil. concert. My cousins who were years ahead of me all brought their treasured Beatle albums (including their 45s) in my storeroom safely away from their parents who belonged to the Christian Navigators. For quite some time, the whole nation was in concert with Christendom in condeming the Fab4 with local radio stations refusing to air their music and encouraging their listeners to burn or thrash away anything that had to do with the Beatles.

But then came the song and their last album in '70 LET IT BE which seemed to many fans as the group's journey and transition to the more spiritual and less mundane. The album was a hit in Manila although many critics called the album sub-standard for some reason I can't even quite comprehend. The Beatles now sporting beards and long hair of the 70s have made peace with what G. Harrison would later refer to in his next album in '73 as "Living in the Material World". But that peace would be translated in the group's eventual break-up. Indeed, "All Things Must Pass." :mtc:

post-22965-1154998428.gif

The snub was not really intended. It was just one of Imelda's many wierd antics. This was in the 60's but ...

The real story is that the Beatles were never informed of such an invitation from the Palace. They were at the hotel when the PSG came knockin early in the morning with instructions from Imelda to pick them up. They were not informed of such invitation -- besides they had rehearsals scheduled for the day. It was just was not in their schedule as they were never informed of it.

They politely declined as they explained explained their reasons to the PSG.

Imelda was sore at this as she had already invited her amigas and their children to Malcanang. Immediately, she sent word to the press that the Beatles had insulted the first couple. In short, the Marcos machinery was put to work. The rest of the story is as it is told.

In the anthology series, Ringo Starr slowly uttered in clear distaste: "I hated the Philippines..."

The younger generations like us suffered for it as none of the Beatles ever wanted to come here again for any reason.

The Imelda insight was provided by my grandmother who was an Imelda Blue Lady -- who was with Imelda until the Marcoses briefly Manila left in 1986.

Edited by 16track
Since we're now in a Beatles mode, please share your experiences to these questions:

Where were you when you heard the news about John's death? How did you feel? What did it mean to you personally?

I was at school when a classmate broke out the news. I remebered that rightafter my last subject i bought the Let it Be album and played Across the Universe over and over and over....

Officially, Let It Be was the last album the Beatles released. Technically, the album was not really the last they made.

The album "Abbey Road" was the last album recorded but was released earlier than Let It Be-- due to some legal, financial and creative obstacles. This is why one would see Paul playing some Abbey Road songs in the Let It Be film. The songs wre not yet finished at that time.

Let It Be was labeled as weak by critics --mainly because they felt the album was over processed by the producer Phil Spector. Not entirely Spector's fault as the group wasindeed going through the initial phases of implosion. Spector added strings and other orchestrations where the Beatles felt were unrequired. The song "Long and Winding Road" was a good example.

In the "Naked " CD, the song and other cuts was remixed as the group had recorded it--live and without all the orchestrations. Still a puzzle as to why George Martin did not produce this one.

Oww c'mon Pareng Storm! You don't think Ebony and Ivory counts? Hahahaha! Joke! :lol:

Pati si Manong Stevie nadamay tuloy. Bwahahahaha! :lol:

The title of one of his hits says it all - Silly Love Songs

I agree with this statement, Pareng Storm. The Billboard charts of the 70s bare this out.

Lennon's music, especially his three- or four-chord songs early in the Beatle years, defined the Beatle sound. The first four Beatle songs to hit #1 ("Please, Please Me", "From Me To You", "She Loves You", and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand") were all John Lennon songs. The first McCartney song to hit #1 was "Can't Buy Me Love" and this took place in 1964 more than a year after the Beatles gained fame in the UK.

Though Paul remained "popular" during the 1970s, it is quite ironic that unlike the other 3 Beatles, Paul was the one whose songs failed to hit #1 in the Billboard charts. Aside from John's "Imagine" and "Happy X'mas, War Is Over", both George and Ringo were also able to score #1 hits with their songs "My Sweet Lord" and "Photograph", respectively.

Now, news just came out that Paul just released a classical album..... :sleepysmiley03:

Wala akong masabi! But he's got the best voice and cutie looks among the Beatles kaya kahit trash songs bumebenta. :D

I love his vocal renditions of the Beatles' mellow dramatic songs, though.

Officially, Let It Be was the last album the Beatles released. Technically, the album was not really the last they made.

The album "Abbey Road" was the last album recorded but was released earlier than Let It Be-- due to some legal, financial and creative obstacles. This is why one would see Paul playing some Abbey Road songs in the Let It Be film. The songs wre not yet finished at that time.

Let It Be was labeled as weak by critics --mainly because they felt the album was over processed by the producer Phil Spector. Not entirely Spector's fault as the group wasindeed going through the initial phases of implosion. Spector added strings and other orchestrations where the Beatles felt were unrequired. The song "Long and Winding Road" was a good example.

In the "Naked " CD, the song and other cuts was remixed as the group had recorded it--live and without all the orchestrations. Still a puzzle as to why George Martin did not produce this one.

Love the song "Long and Winding Road". Also the spoofed version of Tito, Vic & Joey. :thumbsupsmiley:

Speaking of "Abbey Road", I think you've heard about the rumor of Paul's death.

Yup. Some rumors went on that Paul had died of a car crash and that what people see on TV is a replacement.

The Jacket Cover on the album Abbey Road with Paul crossing the road in a black suit and barefooted was his own spoof of the rumored death. heheh! George dressed in jeans was the grave digger, Ringo in elegant 3 piece was the mortuary man and John in whte was the angel.

Could have been prophetic as the Beatles disbanded after that album.

BTW, a slight correction lang on an earlier post that I read. Hope no one minds...no offense meant.

Paul McCartney DID hit Billboard number 1 several times.

When they broke up in the 70's George hit number one first among them with "My Sweet Lord". Paul caught up later on by hitting Billboard Number 1 as "Paul McCartney" Three times and as "Paul McCartney and Wings" 9 times.

The song" Silly Love Songs" was written by Paul as a retort to John's earlier statement that Paul usually wrote silly love songs.

Hence, when you go through the lyrics of the song, it really does feel like Paul was replying to someone directly:

Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs

I look around me and I see it isn't so, oh no.

Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs

And what's wrong with that?

I like to Know

Cause here I go .....Again!!!!

Edited by 16track
The song" Silly Love Songs" was written by Paul as a retort to John's earlier statement that Paul usually wrote silly love songs.

Hence, when you go through the lyrics of the song, it really does feel like Paul was replying to someone directly:

Lennon also took a dig at Paul McCartney in his song How Can You Sleep with lyrics such as these:

"Those freaks were right when they said you were dead" in reference to the pre-break up rumor that Paul is dead.

and

"The only thing you've done was yesterday and since you're gone you're just another day" in reference to the Beatle's song Yesterday which was, of course, written by Paul and the post-break up song Just Another Day which Paul recorded with the Wings.

Edited by Magaling
BTW, a slight correction lang on an earlier post that I read. Hope no one minds...no offense meant.

Paul McCartney DID hit Billboard number 1 several times.

When they broke up in the 70's George hit number one first among them with "My Sweet Lord". Paul caught up later on by hitting Billboard Number 1 as "Paul McCartney" Three times and as "Paul McCartney and Wings" 9 times.

Pards, tama ka. I stand corrected on that. He did hit No.1 a number of times during the 70s. I based my statement on an old Casey Kasem show I saw several years back pero I probably misunderstood the context.

Dehins ko lang maintindihan kay Paul e bakit mga pangit ang mga napipili niyang asawa. :thumbsdownsmiley: Buti pa si Ringo, former Bond girl ang asawa.

Casey Kasem! Wow, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

His radio show--American Top 40-- certainly brings back memories of the late 70's. I believe it was aired by 99.5RT at that time. Looking back however, my car's radio station was set to DZRJ which was called Boss Radio at that time. I loved listening to Boss Radio as it played the AOR format -- Album oriented Radio-- which meant listening to an entire album by a selected artist straight with almost no break ---except maybe when a DJ stepped in to offer some info on a specific track.

I was not really into Pop music so the station's format then suited me well. It played rock, blues, jazz and fusion in nice intervals. On any given night, once can listen to albums by Steely Dan, Pat Metheny, ARS, Jeff Beck, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Derek and the Dominos and others. :cool:

Too bad the current RJ format now makes it seem stuck in a perpetual time warp.

Pards, tama ka. I stand corrected on that. He did hit No.1 a number of times during the 70s. I based my statement on an old Casey Kasem show I saw several years back pero I probably misunderstood the context.
Dehins ko lang maintindihan kay Paul e bakit mga pangit ang mga napipili niyang asawa. :thumbsdownsmiley: Buti pa si Ringo, former Bond girl ang asawa.

at si eric clapton naman ay naging asawa ang former wife ng kaibigan niyang si george harrison, tama ba mga parekoy? yan ang tiyak may hitsura!! :D

Yes.

Patti Boyd Harrison was the one woman Eric Clapton truly loved in the 70's.

He loved her so much but felt he did not have any chance with her at all ---being the wife of best friend George.

His deep frustrations were manifested in the 70's classic " LAYLA" by Derek and the Dominos. This was an excellent album which featured Eric Clapton doing some of his best ever guitar work.

Clapton's distorted guitar's introductions which signal Layla's opening remains one of the most recognizeable rock intros ever. The fact that Duane Allman, another 70's guitar icon was sharing guitar duties wsith EC on this album only reinforced the record's esteemed place in rock history.

at si eric clapton naman ay naging asawa ang former wife ng kaibigan niyang si george harrison, tama ba mga parekoy? yan ang tiyak may hitsura!! :D/quote]

Edited by 16track
I was not really into Pop music so the station's format then suited me well. It played rock, blues, jazz and fusion in nice intervals. On any given night, once can listen to albums by Steely Dan, Pat Metheny, ARS, Jeff Beck, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Derek and the Dominos and others. :cool:

Too bad the current RJ format now makes it seem stuck in a perpetual time warp.

I've been waiting to see a post like this here. The 70's (musical) references and recollections I've seen here for the most part are based on top 40, disco, or whatever was hot on the radio at the time. Sure, there were a few roses among the thorns...but as I've said on another post: Pop music is sweet, easy to digest, and has a taste that appeals to the majority......but when you have too much sugar...(you know the rest). I always preferred the spicy stuff.

RJ/UW was a lot better when Ramon Jacinto had nothing to do with it. Maybe before martial law, may pag-asa pa siya (cuz he let his people do their thing back then), but he later showed his true musical colors when he reclaimed what was his. The oldies they play are sobrang based on the white america of his generation. Hardly any respect for black music. Always the major (predictable) hits pa, and hardly any minor hits (which often aged a lot better). The album-oriented format died a long time ago. But that's the way it is with radio today, which is a waste of our cultural time. Stations are now run by marketing people who don't know sh*t about music. Ok....tama na. :D

I was an occasional contributor to those RJ/UW days during martial law...because some of the people working there were close friends. By the time Brother Wayne bastardized the word fusion, it was already the end of an era. In a musical sense, we have been a culturally-deprived nation ever since. We had to rely on ourselves to find the spicy stuff, for it has been long-dead on our shores. I remain defiant towards our pop culture to this day (at least 98% of it). I once wrote a scathing letter to media publicist Baby Gil after she has time and again abused the word "diva" in her columns. I think she toned it down ever since.....The internet is now the best alternative for music, new AND old IMHO. Even the kids know it. :)

at si eric clapton naman ay naging asawa ang former wife ng kaibigan niyang si george harrison, tama ba mga parekoy? yan ang tiyak may hitsura!! :D

Yup! She was Pattie Boyd for whom Clapton composed, sang, and dedicated the song "LEYLA" in '70.

"We both loved Eric...still do. Pattie and he got together after we'd really split, and actually we'd been splitting up for years.

That was the funny thing you know. I thought that was the best thing for us to do, for us to split and we should've done it

sooner. I didn't have problems about it, Eric had the problem. Everytime I'd go and see him, he'd be hung up about it and

I'd be saying..'dont be apologizing', he didn't believe me..." ....GEORGE HARRISON.

Eric and Pattie got married but got divorced un-happily in 1988. But the close friendship of George and Eric never took a

bad turn. :mtc:

post-22965-1155117088.jpeg

post-22965-1155117105.jpeg

Edited by Mandrake
The internet is now the best alternative for music, new AND old IMHO. Even the kids know it. :)

...and I'm not referring to downloading of MP3's. That's only one aspect of the technology (and it does eat-up space on your hard disk).

Those who are still unaware of the thousands of internet radio stations (am/fm, internet-only) from around the world available to each and every one of us are missing a whole lot! It's one of the best things about the net. It can't be fully appreciated on dial-up, which is why it's doomed to be a thing of the past. The advertising dollars being spent on internet media nowadays prove me right. Even the video aspect of the net is also one reason why 33% of Americans switched to broadband in the last year. Who could enjoy a site like youtube.com on dial-up (for example)?

Para hindi OT---my point is that radio (as we knew it)....is DEAD! Eventually, I hope to convert some of you in the future. You won't regret it.....so I suggest taking your sound cards and PC speakers a little more seriously because this is where it's all going anyway. Even your "phone calls" abroad will sound better.

I can't give away too much here cuz this is a 70's thread...but since Beatles pa rin ang pinag-uusapan niyo, how 'bout this for starters? http://www.beatlesradio.com ---24/7 of Beatles and anything-related. Willow Boy, if you read this, I will let you have the floor to share your thoughts on this site to our threadmates. :)

The internet is now the best alternative for music, new AND old IMHO. Even the kids know it. :)

I found it too a lot earlier I guess because I've been using Cable and DSL for the past 6 years. It all started for me when I got my first generation IMac and G3 with bundled ITunes.

Yup! She was Pattie Boyd for whom Clapton composed, sang, and dedicated the song "LEYLA" in '70.

"We both loved Eric...still do. Pattie and he got together after we'd really split, and actually we'd been splitting up for years.

That was the funny thing you know. I thought that was the best thing for us to do, for us to split and we should've done it

sooner. I didn't have problems about it, Eric had the problem. Everytime I'd go and see him, he'd be hung up about it and

I'd be saying..'dont be apologizing', he didn't believe me..." ....GEORGE HARRISON.

Eric and Pattie got married but got divorced un-happily in 1988. But the close friendship of George and Eric never took a

bad turn. :mtc:

Pattie Boyd used Eric Clapton to get even with philandering George. Na-inlove si Eric. Na-guilty kasi friend niya si George. You don't do that to your friend. Kaya no happy ending. :(

post-583-1155138144.gif