Back To The 70's

Telly Savalas - Kojak (TV)

Michael Douglas and Karl Marden - The Streets of San Francisco

Madami sila - A Bridge too Far

Hi Guys!

Just thought of this topic during one short moment of downtime. Please add names you can remember:

70's Action Stars!

1. John Wayne - His era ended in the 70's but anybody here

remember 'The Cowboys".

2. Sly Stallone - Rocky, of course!

3. Bruce Lee - Kung Fu flicks

4. Steve McQueen - Bullit is what I remember best

5. Charles Bronson- Death Wish

6. Clint Eastwood - Dirty Harry

7. Gene Hackman - "Popeye Doyle" ring a bell?

8. John Holmes - Is he an action star? =)

Speaking of action stars...

It was quite hip during the 70s for black stars to be featured in action films. Just think of "Shaft" with Richard Roundtree. There were also retired American football players such as Jim Brown and Fred Williamson who starred in "Three the Hard Way" (sorry, I can't recall the third man). Of course, there was Jim Kelly in "Enter the Dragon."

As for "A Bridge Too Far," my favorite scene was that of Robert Redford leading his troops while they paddled their boats along a river. While they were being shelled and while he paddled like crazy, Redford kept reciting the "Hail Mary." Other stars that I remember from "A Bridge Too Far": Laurence Olivier, Liv Ulman, Anthony Hopkins, Gene Hackman, Sean Connery, Maximillian Schell. Sino pa? One thing about "A Bridge Too Far" is that it's one of the very few Hollywood films about an Allied loss.

Speaking of old radios and others...

I was in Bellini's in Cubao the other day and there was a shop right beside it that sold these old transistor radios and other curio items from the 70's and 60's.

I remember in the very early 70's, I used to hear some old time singers like Perry Como and Matt Monroe being played by the labandera through those old Abegon transistor radios -- usually at noon so it made one quite sleepy. That thin sound of an AM radio sound was general fare then as this was before stereo was the norm.

Hmmm... Abegon, Sylvania, Radiowealth. This was before the time of Sony and other Japanese brands. Remember going to small shops and one can buy those tiny palm sized AM radios usually in blue, red or black colors? Sa ganoon lang nagumpisa mga hapon and look where they are now. Taiwan products were not even heard of then.

Avegon po?

Zenith, RCA pa ....

AM Radios then are just like the MP3 players/ IPods we see today

Hmmm... Abegon, Sylvania, Radiowealth. This was before the time of Sony and other Japanese brands. Remember going to small shops and one can buy those tiny palm sized AM radios usually in blue, red or black colors? Sa ganoon lang nagumpisa mga hapon and look where they are now. Taiwan products were not even heard of then.

John Holmes? Ay oo, action star nga yan... :evil: May dalang batuta yan lagi...sobrang haba ng batuta nyan at pag nahampas ka noon...patay ka!!! :D

One of my favorite movies during the 70's was the one starring Richard harris " The Wild Geese" yata yun..and the "Cassandra Crossing".

I was in Bellini's in Cubao the other day and there was a shop right beside it that sold these old transistor radios and other curio items from the 70's and 60's.

I remember in the very early 70's, I used to hear some old time singers like Perry Como and Matt Monroe being played by the labandera through those old Abegon transistor radios -- usually at noon so it made one quite sleepy. That thin sound of an AM radio sound was general fare then as this was before stereo was the norm.

This is so true, pards! :D Back in the 70s, the AM radio was all I had when I was listening to rock music sa DZRJ. Radiowealth was a popular brand back then not just with radios but also with TV sets. Hardly anybody had a Sony TV set during those days. The popular brands then were Zenith, Philips, and Radiowealth. The stereo set we owned then was Garard, which was typical of the huge, furniture-like stereo sets at the time. The turntable had 4 speeds: 16, 33, 45, and 78 rpm! :boo:

In my particular case, the sound of the AM radio made me sleepy while I had my haircut at my favorite barbershop in my old neighborhood. This was not the airconditioned barbershop that has become common these days. This barbershop was typical of the ones that existed during the 50s and 60s where men hung out to exchange stories or to play "dama" (checkers). :cool: No A/C, just an electric ceiling fan that was off most of the time. :)

Edited by willow_boy
DZBM radio station under MARECO BROADCASTING CORP. which used to play RELY COLOMA tunes using his Yamaha Electone Organ. If im not mistaken, this station only played songs and tunes of artists under Mabuhay and Villar Records.

:)

Pards, didn't MARECO own a recording company too? Correct me if I'm wrong pero I think KISS's records, for example, were distributed in the Philippines by MARECO.

DYNA Records was also a huge recording and music distribution company in those days.

Edited by willow_boy
This is so true, pards! :D Back in the 70s, the AM radio was all I had when I was listening to rock music sa DZRJ. Radiowealth was a popular brand back then not just with radios but also with TV sets. Hardly anybody had a Sony TV set during those days. The popular brands then were Zenith, Philips, and Radiowealth. The stereo set we owned then was Garard, which was typical of the huge, furniture-like stereo sets at the time. The turntable had 4 speeds: 16, 33, 45, and 78 rpm! :boo:

In my particular case, the sound of the AM radio made me sleepy while I had my haircut at my favorite barbershop in my old neighborhood. This was not the airconditioned barbershop that has become common these days. This barbershop was typical of the ones that existed during the 50s and 60s where men hung out to exchange stories or to play "dama" (checkers). :cool: No A/C, just an electric ceiling fan that was off most of the time. :)

Our first B/W TV was a Radiowealth and our stereo was also a Garard but that was in the 60s. In 1970, we had a Zenith 25" B/W TV na parang Cabinet. In 1972, the 4 channel stereo or quadrophonic became popular. My parents bought the Akai 4-channel stereo console with open reel tape deck and turntable while my uncle got the Radiowealth Claire de Lune 4 channel and a large 25" or 27" Radiowealth color TV. In my opinion, the sound quality of the Akai was a lot better but watching TV in color was an extraordinary experience even if the quality of Radiowealth was not that good as compared to the Sony Trinitron (we had the 12" Trinitron in 73 or 74 which lasted for more than 20 years).

Sony became even more popular when it launched the Betamax in 77 or 78. That was the time when we upgraded our Sony to a 21" model.

These betamax movies were popular then

Deep Throat

Behind the Green Door

Emmanuelle

Debbie Does Dallas

Autobiography of a Flea

Our first B/W TV was a Radiowealth and our stereo was also a Garard but that was in the 60s. In 1970, we had a Zenith 25" B/W TV na parang Cabinet. In 1972, the 4 channel stereo or quadrophonic became popular. My parents bought the Akai 4-channel stereo console with open reel tape deck and turntable while my uncle got the Radiowealth Claire de Lune 4 channel and a large 25" or 27" Radiowealth color TV. In my opinion, the sound quality of the Akai was a lot better but watching TV in color was an extraordinary experience even if the quality of Radiowealth was not that good as compared to the Sony Trinitron (we had the 12" Trinitron in 73 or 74 which lasted for more than 20 years).

Sony became even more popular when it launched the Betamax in 77 or 78. That was the time when we upgraded our Sony to a 21" model.

These betamax movies were popular then

Deep Throat

Behind the Green Door

Emmanuelle

Debbie Does Dallas

Autobiography of a Flea

Don't forget "The Devil in Miss Jones". Hehehe...

Pards, didn't MARECO own a recording company too? Correct me if I'm wrong pero I think KISS's records, for example, were distributed in the Philippines by MARECO.

DYNA Records was also a huge recording and music distribution company in those days.

I guess MARECO also owned Villar Recording and Mabuhay Recording Cos. What I clearly remember was a Kundiman album of the Mabuhay Singers my Dad used to play for my Lola.

Not sure though if they were exclusive distributors of KISS. Was not really very fond of this metal band, for some reasons.

My top 10 favorite rock bands of the 70s:

1. LED ZEPPELIN

2. ROLLING STONES

3. CREAM (esp. the album Disraeli Gears)

4. BEATLES (esp. the double white album)

5. DEEP PURPLE

6. SANTANA

7. GRAND FUNK RAILROAD

8. CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY

9. JETHRO TULL (esp. the Aqualung Album)

10. JIMI HENDRIX

I am not a fan of Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley....

I dont have the KISS Alive I and Kiss Alive II live albums

I dont like these songs:

Beth

Love Gun

Detroit Rock City

God Of Thunder

:evil: :evil:

Not sure though if they were exclusive distributors of KISS. Was not really very fond of this metal band, for some reasons.
Speaking of action stars...

It was quite hip during the 70s for black stars to be featured in action films. Just think of "Shaft" with Richard Roundtree. There were also retired American football players such as Jim Brown and Fred Williamson who starred in "Three the Hard Way" (sorry, I can't recall the third man). Of course, there was Jim Kelly in "Enter the Dragon."

As for "A Bridge Too Far," my favorite scene was that of Robert Redford leading his troops while they paddled their boats along a river. While they were being shelled and while he paddled like crazy, Redford kept reciting the "Hail Mary." Other stars that I remember from "A Bridge Too Far": Laurence Olivier, Liv Ulman, Anthony Hopkins, Gene Hackman, Sean Connery, Maximillian Schell. Sino pa? One thing about "A Bridge Too Far" is that it's one of the very few Hollywood films about an Allied loss.

Yup, if you saw Pearl Harbor you would have thought the Americans won.

Yup, if you saw Pearl Harbor you would have thought the Americans won.

As for Pearl Harbor, the definitive film has to be "Tora, Tora, Tora" from the 70s. Long after this film was released, footages from it were still being used in mini-series and regular TV series. At the time, it was quite a rarity to have Americans and actual Japanese in the same film (war films usually featured Chinese or any Asian who could be made-up to look Japanese). Another rarity was that there were no stars on the American side. I believe there were Japanese stars on their side of the film. It was also the first Hollywood-produced film on WWII that gave a somewhat sympathetic view to the Japanese side. I can't remember the actor or the name of the Japanese admiral, but he had the most memorable line in the film (in subtitles, or course): "I'm afraid we might just have awakened a sleeping dragon."

As for Pearl Harbor, the definitive film has to be "Tora, Tora, Tora" from the 70s. Long after this film was released, footages from it were still being used in mini-series and regular TV series. At the time, it was quite a rarity to have Americans and actual Japanese in the same film (war films usually featured Chinese or any Asian who could be made-up to look Japanese). Another rarity was that there were no stars on the American side. I believe there were Japanese stars on their side of the film. It was also the first Hollywood-produced film on WWII that gave a somewhat sympathetic view to the Japanese side. I can't remember the actor or the name of the Japanese admiral, but he had the most memorable line in the film (in subtitles, or course): "I'm afraid we might just have awakened a sleeping dragon."

Toshiro Mifune?

Fast forward to December 1989. I was awaken by a Tora Tora plane hovering across the sky. :grr:

Pareng Storm, you won't have to worry about it now. Wala na tayong air cover e. Bad trip...

I agree that "Tora, Tora, Tora" was indeed a great movie and stayed pretty close to the events of that particular day. Best movie ever made about Pearl Harbor, IMHO.

famous line spoken by the attack's mastermind, adm. isoruko yamamoto.

Edited by Infirmero

Baa Baa Black Sheep - Starring ROBERT CONRAD ?

Combat - VIC MORROW and RIC JASON

Pareng Storm, you won't have to worry about it now. Wala na tayong air cover e. Bad trip...

I agree that "Tora, Tora, Tora" was indeed a great movie and stayed pretty close to the events of that particular day. Best movie ever made about Pearl Harbor, IMHO.