Back To The 70's

Since North Korea is all over the news, was it in the 70s when the national teams of No. Korea and the Phils. squared off in the basketball court at the Rizal Memorial (or was it Araneta?). I remember the Nokor team then played rough vs. our finest players led by Jawo. :huh:

Oo nga, I remember that game na nakadapa sa Jawo in front of the North Korean bench tapos may sumipa sa kanya, biglang nagka awatan. Now, North Korean owns the tallest basketball player sa Asia....standing 7'7"

Since North Korea is all over the news, was it in the 70s when the national teams of No. Korea and the Phils. squared off in the basketball court at the Rizal Memorial (or was it Araneta?). I remember the Nokor team then played rough vs. our finest players led by Jawo. :huh:

It was in Tehran, during the 1974 Asian Games. And as I said before, that wasn't a game. That was a war.

Maybe it was South Korea you were referring to. They had the legendary Shin Dong Pa as their top scorer. He was a fine shooter and the only Filipino player who was able to minimize his effectiveness was the late Ed Ocampo.

back in the 70's the only building visible in Ortigas was the St. Francis Church and the San miguel building

Hmmm... not sure if the San Miguel HQ bldg was there in the 70's. I believe SMC constructed the bldg in the 80s.

From what I remember, there were only very few structures in Ortigas center:

1. The Philcomcen Bldg.

2. Meralco

3. Chronicle Bldg--now the Lopez Bldg.

4. The Strata 100

5. The Ortigas Bldg.

6. St. Francis

7. Lourdes School

8. The Rizal Golf Driving Range where the ADB now stands on

9. A couple of more old bdgs near the Strata 100

10. The Banco De Oro Complex was then the Benguet Exploration HQ.

The MegaMall, Galleria and EDSA Shang complex lots were empty except for the grass and talahib which grew there--which made it ideal for the Motocross races held there by Butch Chase and company. Crossing was still flat and was a major intersection without the underpass-- much like the Ortigas intersection then without the flyovers now.

The Ortigas Center area already had the streets paved and laid out as they are now--which then made it ideal for the Slalom races held by the likes of Vip Isada, Pocholo Ramirez, Dante Silverio and Company.

I remember the Eastwood area having the JRC compound which then housed the Karting circuit--it was fun as they opened the track to the public when races where not held.

The entire stretch of Libis that now hosts the bars and restaurants were totally devoid of any structures except for the Cosworth garage at the end near where the approach of the flyover is now. Cosworth and Nodalo's were the first to introduce the 4:2:1 Headers to the local market, remember those shops?

Edited by 16track
I think there was also the Philcomcen Bldg, plus Lourdes School in back of St. Francis Church...

pareng storm, how was the unveiling?

It was a success!!! Masaya. Sayang wala kayo. EB tayo sa site. Maraming resto nearby.

Maybe it was South Korea you were referring to. They had the legendary Shin Dong Pa as their top scorer. He was a fine shooter and the only Filipino player who was able to minimize his effectiveness was the late Ed Ocampo.

Nope it was the Nokor but mas magagaling ang mga Sokor. David Regullano was also rffective against the great Shin.

Hmmm... not sure if the San Miguel HQ bldg was there in the 70's. I believe SMC constructed the bldg in the 80s.

1. The Philcomcen Bldg.

2. Meralco

4. The Strata 100

5. The Ortigas Bldg.

6. St. Francis

7. Lourdes School

The MegaMall, Galleria and EDSA Shang complex lots were empty except for the grass and talahib which grew there--which made it ideal for the Motocross races held there by Butch Chase and company. Crossing was still flat and was a major intersection without the underpass-- much like the Ortigas intersection then without the flyovers now.

The Ortigas Center area already had the streets paved and laid out as they are now--which then made it ideal for the Slalom races held by the likes of Vip Isada, Pocholo Ramirez, Dante Silverio and Company.

I remember the Eastwood area having the JRC compound which then housed the Karting circuit--it was fun as they opened the track to the public when races where not held.

The entire stretch of Libis that now hosts the bars and restaurants were totally devoid of any structures except for the Cosworth garage at the end near where the approach of the flyover is now. Cosworth and Nodalo's were the first to introduce the 4:2:1 Headers to the local market, remember those shops?

There were gas stations at the corner of Julia Vargas. Petron and Caltex yata. There's also Medical City. I remember Litton Mills in Libis. I used to go there to get marked down CK and Cacharel pants. The best sporst club then was the Green Valley Country Club. I think Valle Verde Country Club was built in the late 70s.

My unveiled sculpture in Fort Boni.

post-583-1160626302.jpg

Jawo also was effective in guarding the great Shin.....limiting his output to just 7 points, was not able to recall which tournament was that. Dave Regullano of San Miguel Beer, when he donned the national colors, also limited the scoring sock of Shin same with another scoring great, Taniguchi of Japan, the other half of the Taniguchi-Abe tandem. That was during the time when our players have nationalistic senses unlike na, sobrang ingat kasi baka ma injure, sayang ang multi-million peso contract nila.So much fan watching the likes of Paner, Samson, Cleofas, Regullano, Jawo, Mariano, Marquez, Miego, Botchok delos Santos, Tolentino, Canent, Marcelo, Martirez, Adornado, Papa, Florencio, atbp. giving their all in the name of our country.

1. The Philcomcen Bldg.

2. Meralco

4. The Strata 100

5. The Ortigas Bldg.

6. St. Francis

7. Lourdes School

Do you remember the accident when they were building Strata 100? They even had pictures of workers

hanging on for dear life to the posts when they collapsed.

It was a success!!! Masaya. Sayang wala kayo. EB tayo sa site. Maraming resto nearby.

Nope it was the Nokor but mas magagaling ang mga Sokor. David Regullano was also rffective against the great Shin.

There were gas stations at the corner of Julia Vargas. Petron and Caltex yata. There's also Medical City. I remember Litton Mills in Libis. I used to go there to get marked down CK and Cacharel pants. The best sporst club then was the Green Valley Country Club. I think Valle Verde Country Club was built in the late 70s.

Pareng Storm,

Congratulations on your achievement! It's such a fine work of art! Just curious, what are its dimensions?

I used to remember back in the 70s na gandang-ganda ako sa mga buildings sa may Ortigas, especially the Meralco and Philcomcen buildings. I still think that the Meralco building is still a fine example of Filipino architecture like the Philamlife building on UN Avenue and the CCP in Manila. Unfortunately, I read somewhere that the Philcomcen building has fallen into a state of disrepair. I remember na kitang-kita ko pa dati ang Philcomcen and Meralco buildings from the hills of Marikina and Antipolo.

Edited by willow_boy
Jawo also was effective in guarding the great Shin.....limiting his output to just 7 points, was not able to recall which tournament was that. Dave Regullano of San Miguel Beer, when he donned the national colors, also limited the scoring sock of Shin same with another scoring great, Taniguchi of Japan, the other half of the Taniguchi-Abe tandem. That was during the time when our players have nationalistic senses unlike na, sobrang ingat kasi baka ma injure, sayang ang multi-million peso contract nila.So much fan watching the likes of Paner, Samson, Cleofas, Regullano, Jawo, Mariano, Marquez, Miego, Botchok delos Santos, Tolentino, Canent, Marcelo, Martirez, Adornado, Papa, Florencio, atbp. giving their all in the name of our country.

I remember the MICAA days when the Cleofas brothers, Rene Canent, and Freddie Webb played for YCO. Jawo was a Crispa player for a while because he had played under Coach Baby Dalupan when he was still with UE. The Crispa guys then were Bogs Adornado, Danny Florencio, Papa, Rudolf Kutch, and Ed Carvajal.

If I remember right, Jimmy Mariano played for Concepcion. Paner, Martirez, and Regullano played for San Miguel. :cool:

I hope that someone comes up with a book on the history of Philippine basketball. That would be awesome! :thumbsupsmiley:

I remember the MICAA days when the Cleofas brothers, Rene Canent, and Freddie Webb played for YCO. Jawo was a Crispa player for a while because he had played under Coach Baby Dalupan when he was still with UE. The Crispa guys then were Bogs Adornado, Danny Florencio, Papa, Rudolf Kutch, and Ed Carvajal.

If I remember right, Jimmy Mariano played for Concepcion. Paner, Martirez, and Regullano played for San Miguel. :cool:

I hope that someone comes up with a book on the history of Philippine basketball. That would be awesome! :thumbsupsmiley:

====================

Jaime Mariano played for Meralco before the team was disbanded following the ugly incident wherein Jawo and Big Boy Reynoso molested and ganged up on referees Cruz (my dentist at Sampaloc) and Obias. He transferred to Concepcion with another sweet/streak shooting forward Arthur Herrera (na hindi nagugusot ang buhok sa kapal ng pomade during that time).

Sana nga magkaron nga ng book about Phil.basketball. I used to have volumes of clippings during the 60's and early 70's of different MICAA teams pero nawala yun when our house was razed by fire sa Sampaloc. Also, sana rin may reports on nasaan na yung mga imports nun, the likes of Cowart, Robinson, Oliver, Scranton, etc. Buhay pa kaya sila?

No, pards. It was NOKOR. All I can remember was that team was so rough, the crowd booed them after a short altercation between a North Korean player and Jawo ( as Pareng photographer still recalls as well). I was not just sure if we won in that game. :cool:

A 70's image...

post-22965-1160705478.jpeg

No, pards. It was NOKOR. All I can remember was that team was so rough, the crowd booed them after a short altercation between a North Korean player and Jawo ( as Pareng photographer still recalls as well). I was not just sure if we won in that game. :cool:

If we're speaking of the same game, that was when a North Korean kicked Jawo on the butt as the latter was on all fours in front of the North Korean bench following a scramble for the ball. After the kick, Jawo confronted the entire North Korean bench. As for the outcome, we lost to North Korea, I think by a point. That was the bronze medal game in the 1974 Asian Games.

If we're speaking of the same game, that was when a North Korean kicked Jawo on the butt as the latter was on all fours in front of the North Korean bench following a scramble for the ball. After the kick, Jawo confronted the entire North Korean bench. As for the outcome, we lost to North Korea, I think by a point. That was the bronze medal game in the 1974 Asian Games.

Bingo! That was a more detailed account of that incident, which made us all more proud of the RP Team for keeping their cool since we served as host of the games. Had Jawo gone ballistic, the Nokor bench would have gotten a taste of our own nukes from the partisan fans. :P

pare AWESOME yang sculpture mong yan! and yes, call ako dyan sa EB sa Fort area - bka si pareng masi pwede na ah hehehe..congratulations once more!

to all 70's peeps here who were diehard fans of the old DZRJ stations (before it was mangled by the Main Man himself in 1987), I would like to share this info I just got from our dear friend sally bogna mathay. It seems there is a station in the AM bands called Rock990 which plays like the old RJ. When he texted me just now, Howling Dave daw was on board hosting Pinoy Rock 1pm -4pm. Bob Magoo also has a slot daw...remember these guys? :cool: Mahina daw reception ng station na ito and sometimes daw nawawala na lang bigla sa air :P but anyway this development looks promising. Nasa labas pa ako kaya I can't tune in yet till I get home....

Jaime Mariano played for Meralco before the team was disbanded following the ugly incident wherein Jawo and Big Boy Reynoso molested and ganged up on referees Cruz (my dentist at Sampaloc) and Obias. He transferred to Concepcion with another sweet/streak shooting forward Arthur Herrera (na hindi nagugusot ang buhok sa kapal ng pomade during that time).

Big Boy Reynoso lead the Red Lions to the championship during the late-60s. His name was still frequently mentioned in the campus when I was in GS back in the 70s. Arthur Herrera's son was my classmate.

Lumaki din ako sa Sampaloc. Born at Mary Chiles and grew up in that area near NU which produced Jun Papa whom we used to watch playing in our street.

I am so glad to see this sculpture replace the one before it. Now dont get me

wrong. I have nothing against abstract art. But it pleases me to see pedestrians,

especially foreigners stop to admire sculptures such as these. Those along ayala

and makati avenue - of heroes from our past - have tourists reading the descriptions

at the foot of the statue.

This is very refreshing indeed.

Cheers Storm.

CS

Big Boy Reynoso lead the Red Lions to the championship during the late-60s. His name was still frequently mentioned in the campus when I was in GS back in the 70s. Arthur Herrera's son was my classmate.

Lumaki din ako sa Sampaloc. Born at Mary Chiles and grew up in that area near NU which produced Jun Papa whom we used to watch playing in our street.

Speaking of Jun Papa, he often did something we seldom see today: the running jumpshot. And with much accuracy. Another thing we seldom see today is the the stop-and-shoot-on-a-fastbreak, which Atoy Co did time and time again, especially against Toyota with Fernandez defending the paint. And we no longer see the kind of fastbreaks that Jawo and Arnaiz used to run. Those passes by Jawo to Arnaiz often sent the Toyota crowd wild.

Pareng Storm: I finally saw this yesterday. All I can say is that it made the place look more pleasant. Two thumbs up! :thumbsupsmiley: Ipinagmalaki ko pa! Sabi ko sa kasama ko while we were driving, "Kita mo yan? Barkada ko gumawa nyan!" (As if. Hehehe) Kaya lang, nung tinanong ako "Talaga? Sino?" Change topic na lang di ko alam sagot eh alangan naman sabihin ko si "Storm" baka batukan pa ko nung kasama ko. Hahaha! :D :lol: :D

Edited by Magaling