Back To The 70's

......and Cartimar before that (my 1st lp from there was Jethro Tull's Stand Up)......

Oh yeah Cartimar! I used to go window shopping there and ogle at the Adidas and Puma rubber shoes. Remember the Promodel? The Puma Clyde? Show up in school with an Adidas and your coolness factor goes up a notch! Then we mess it all up playing soccer :-(

the last time i was home in May this year my driver and I squeezed our van way into the very small parking area fronting the original "command HQ" of MA MON LUK along quezon ave. just to fill our hungry tummies with their traditional mami and old school steaming bola-bola siopao. For a neat price of P500, that made our day! They even gave us a free re-fill of their hot soup.

Funny thing was the ambiance of the place practically never changed over the years. Hanging conspicuously on their walls are b & w pictures dating as far back as the late 50s of celebrities who have eaten here. How time flies over the years and so many have come and gone, but MA MON LUK still packs them in and continues to endure! :cool:

After that sumptuous merienda, we drove our way right turn to Banawe passing by the place once called SPINDLE, where Rico J used to have his nightly concerts in the late 70s. Man, I miss those times! :cool:

after SPINDLE it was changed to SPINNERS where i first saw what a live show is all about :evil: i also always had my hair cut at BARBERS located below DISCOVERY (second live show :evil: ) along r. magsaysay blvd in sta. mesa

If you're still into vinyl, or say you want to burn songs for LPs into a CD, there's this place in Makati Cinema Square called Be-Bop. They have a hell of a collection ! Reminds me of the Sta Mesa Stop and Shop days. Only problem is, he has so much albums crammped in a tiny shop so it's hard to browse. But if you know exactly what you're looking for, chances are he has it.

Funny, but I was there earlier today. :) I even tripped once because of even more lp's on the floor due to lack of space. Although he has a lot that come from bulk purchases, you hope that what you're after is available in decent shape (no deep scratches you can feel with your fingers at the very least). The impression one would have on his inventory would really depend on how much music one is into. With some genres, he has a fairly decent number....but with some other genres, marami pang kulang. Known the guy for years, but I seldom buy lp's nowadays. I just stop in for some "shop-talk" with him once in a while. There ARE other alternatives for vinyl, but I think that's a topic that leads to being OT. :unsure:

Edited by starbuck911

I remember then when you say anything bad about Marcos, you're gonna be in a heap of trouble or end up dead. Also, only the rich and cronies have the toyota crown luxury car or mercedes benz.

Basta sinabi mong galing ka ng greenhills, immediately they will say "social!" Then again, that was the only shopping center that has "conyo" written over it.

If you're still into vinyl, or say you want to burn songs for LPs into a CD, there's this place in Makati Cinema Square called Be-Bop. They have a hell of a collection....I've often suggested that they create a catalogue for easier reference but they haven't done it yet. In case you're visiting, it's in the basement 1 of Makati Cinema Square where the bingo place is.

I was going to vouch for the place but I guess you guys are already well informed...nothing new for me to say here except my own experience. At the recommendation of a friend, I had my Al Jarreau 1965 album burned into CD there and I'm satisfied with what they did. According to them, they have a way of removing any hiss in the recording (daw?) although mine was in tip-top shape to begin with.

If you're in the QC area and MCS is too far for you, there's another place in Teacher's Village QC who can do the same thing for you. The shop is called Yesteryears. Pero masyado silang mabagal gumawa in my experience. Be-Bop is way better. Then of course there's Phoenix in Kamuning. But last time I tried Phoenix, I wasn't too happy. Puro hiss tas mali-mali pa yung kanta (selection kasi).

And I fully agree with you. These places should have catalogues to make it so much easier for the customers.

Edited by Magaling
Oh yeah Cartimar! I used to go window shopping there and ogle at the Adidas and Puma rubber shoes. Remember the Promodel? The Puma Clyde? Show up in school with an Adidas and your coolness factor goes up a notch! Then we mess it all up playing soccer :-(

In college, pag walang magawa, pumupunta kami dun bandang hapon mga 5pm para tumingin sa mga katabing pet shops tapos papanoorin namin yung mga ahas pag pinapakain na ng manok. Hehehe...

Pareng Slide, if you are around the same age bracket as me (+/- 4 years), chances are, we've played together (or against?). Soccer was my sports in GS and HS. Di lang ako natuloy nung college kasi yung team namin pinasok na ng mga imports (Iranians, Thais, etc.).

Medyo nabawasan lang yung coolness factor ng Adidas when they started manufacturing locally...that's when other brands started to become more hip.

About Cartimar.

In Cartimar, adidas and puma then were priced from P300.00 - P350.00. We also bought our bike parts there. The smell of rubber shoes then was a lot different.

Buhay pa ba ang Cartimar?

Tama ka pareng magaling

Nabawasan ang coolness ng adidas when Rubberworld manufactured adidas. Anyways, I bought 3 pairs of locally made adidas - a white superstar, a black superstar and a blue suede campus. The campus is still with me.

Now my favorite everyday shoes are my adidas muhammad ali, nike waffle trainer and puma ferrari. If feeling pabagets, I borrow my son's adicolor :D OT na ko!

Wow, buhay pa pala ang Makati Cinema Square. I haven't been to that place since we moved to QC. Madalaw ngang minsan. I miss the sound of vinyl with the hiss and static.

Why don't we have an eb somewhere there?

Kapag kulang pera ko ay sa Jollibee kami kumakain ng gf ko noon. Kapag me budget ay sa Tropical Hut or sa Goldilocks. Mas mura kasi sa Jollibee.

But do you recall that even before there was Jollibee, Tropical Hut Hamburger was "the hamburger." Aahhh, miss the huge steaming bun wrapped in tinfoil with a slice of pickle on top. Inside Greenhills theater, you'd recognize that disctinct aroma anytime somebody peels the foil off the sandwich. Sad to say, they "missed the boat" so to speak in the burger race.

The Hustle by Van McKoy (not sure of the spelling). Tut-tut-tut-turut-tut-tutut. Tapos we'll say "ginahasa" instead of "do the hustle" :D

It's Van McCoy Pareng Storm ... We had a different version, though ..... ours was "Do the assh*le." :lol:

And who can remember that cute COMTRUST (bank) TV commercial featuring this pretty model named Myra Mendoza, I think ... does anybody recall the jingle? was that by Joe Mari Chan, too along with his famous Philippine Airlines "Love at 30,000 feet?"

Edited by teejoe
JUST WANT TO SHARE THIS MUSIC GUYS, ENJOY THE SOUND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx276t3dVdQ - DUST IN THE WIND

- LET YOUR LOVE FLOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6pphVs8bF0 - TEACH YOUR CHILDREN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juiTdVistNA - BADFINGER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Ty8R8tlo4 - BADFINGER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a78-hfPhIY - PETER FRAMPTON

Thanks bro :thumbsupsmiley:

But do you recall that even before there was Jollibee, Tropical Hut Hamburger was "the hamburger." Aahhh, miss the huge steaming bun wrapped in tinfoil with a slice of pickle on top. Inside Greenhills theater, you'd recognize that disctinct aroma anytime somebody peels the foil off the sandwich. Sad to say, they "missed the boat" so to speak in the burger race.

It's Van McCoy Pareng Storm ... We had a different version, though ..... ours was "Do the assh*le." :lol:

And who can remember that cute COMTRUST (bank) TV commercial featuring this pretty model named Myra Mendoza, I think ... does anybody recall the jingle? was that by Joe Mari Chan, too along with his famous Philippine Airlines "Love at 30,000 feet?"

Hehehe. Yeah, jollibee was hust a me too copy of Tropical Hut. I used to ask the waiter to make it well done. Parang kulang sa luto. Pero Tropical Hut burger was the original langhap-sarap.

My alltime favorite though was my friend's JACK's Hamburger. The main restaurant was located near the Bonifacio Monument in Caloocan with branches in Cubao - P. Tuazon cor EDSA and Delta in Quezon Ave. Sayang talaga yung burger na iyon. Sauce pa lang, panalo ka na.

Mr. sliderule, kumusta?

I do remember those days when I would save part of my school allowance para lang maka-bili ako ng mga albums. P20 seemed like quite a bit of money in those days. I also remember na alagang-alaga ko rin iyong needle ng turntable ko because I wanted to get the best and clearest sound possible out of the records that I bought. :thumbsupsmiley:

Speaking of albums, I miss the art of the album cover. A lot of album covers were very artsy then because the cover was not just thought of as a marketing effort but also a form of artistic expression. With the shift from the big albums to CDs, we kind of lost that art. It's never the same. One could appreciate the details in the album covers a lot better than gazing at a small CD. Just my opinion about this lost art. :(

It really is a lost art - those LP jackets. Lalo yung mga imported LP's - you can still open them up and there'd be more art, graphics and text inside - plus lyrics to boot! Ngayon meron din naman yung mga CD but you need to borrow Sherlock Holmes' magnifying glass in order to make sense of what's displayed there :P

OK lang pareng willow boy, thanks for asking.

If you're still into vinyl, or say you want to burn songs for LPs into a CD, there's this place in Makati Cinema Square called Be-Bop. They have a hell of a collection ! Reminds me of the Sta Mesa Stop and Shop days. Only problem is, he has so much albums crammped in a tiny shop so it's hard to browse. But if you know exactly what you're looking for, chances are he has it. So far I've had Tom Scott albums (Intimate Strangers, New York Connection, Apple Juice), Joe Jackson (Big World) and Leroy Hutson (Hutson) burned. As far as I know, theer's no place in the world where one can buy CD versions of those, not even in amazon.com. I've often suggested that they create a catalogue for easier reference but they haven't done it yet. In case you're visiting, it's in the basement 1 of Makati Cinema Square where the bingo place is.

Kainis lang yung plaka pag marami ng scratches >:-(

Is this Bobby's place, or the one beside it. Kasi when I was there 2 weeks ago, wala na yung place na katabi ni Bobby. Bihira na din akong pumunta kina Bobby even when I'm there - ang mamahal na din ng plaka nya ngayon.

I was going to vouch for the place but I guess you guys are already well informed...nothing new for me to say here except my own experience. At the recommendation of a friend, I had my Al Jarreau 1965 album burned into CD there and I'm satisfied with what they did. According to them, they have a way of removing any hiss in the recording (daw?) although mine was in tip-top shape to begin with.

If you're in the QC area and MCS is too far for you, there's another place in Teacher's Village QC who can do the same thing for you. The shop is called Yesteryears. Pero masyado silang mabagal gumawa in my experience. Be-Bop is way better. Then of course there's Phoenix in Kamuning. But last time I tried Phoenix, I wasn't too happy. Puro hiss tas mali-mali pa yung kanta (selection kasi).

And I fully agree with you. These places should have catalogues to make it so much easier for the customers.

pareng magaling, baka may typo ka dyan kasi if I'm not mistaken, Al Jarreau was not yet around in 1965 :P

where exactly is Yesteryears and Phoenix, pare? I regularly pass by Maginhawa and Kamuning nowadays...thanks..

Bebop has no catalogue, yes, but if you're into jazz, he has this book where all these jazz albums are referenced and you can look at the rating of your prospective purchase kung maganda nga ito or not - some brief write-up too to help you along...

About Cartimar.

In Cartimar, adidas and puma then were priced from P300.00 - P350.00. We also bought our bike parts there. The smell of rubber shoes then was a lot different.

Buhay pa ba ang Cartimar?

Tama ka pareng magaling

Nabawasan ang coolness ng adidas when Rubberworld manufactured adidas. Anyways, I bought 3 pairs of locally made adidas - a white superstar, a black superstar and a blue suede campus. The campus is still with me.

Now my favorite everyday shoes are my adidas muhammad ali, nike waffle trainer and puma ferrari. If feeling pabagets, I borrow my son's adicolor :D OT na ko!

Wow, buhay pa pala ang Makati Cinema Square. I haven't been to that place since we moved to QC. Madalaw ngang minsan. I miss the sound of vinyl with the hiss and static.

Why don't we have an eb somewhere there?

Cartimar is where we buy our Japanese supplies nowadays....I'm in MCS once a month - dun na din ako tumitingin ng mga DVD. I remember MCS back in the 80's - wala pa yung binggohan dyan sa basement - what it had were a lot of stores selling LP's - aside from Bobby's, nandun yung kina GReg, kina Manny (na kinaasaran nila) and some other guy's...yung kay Bobby na lang natira ngayon...

Edited by bods1000
pareng magaling, baka may typo ka dyan kasi if I'm not mistaken, Al Jarreau was not yet around in 1965 :P

where exactly is Yesteryears and Phoenix, pare? I regularly pass by Maginhawa and Kamuning nowadays...thanks..

I know what you mean. Because his "first" album didn't come out until 75-76 yata but ok here's the run-down (teaser kumbaga). From what I remember about what was written in the album cover (medyo inanay na kasi eh although yung plaka itself ok pa), AJ was a still in college at that time and was part-timing as a singer in a bar near his school in Wisconsin (not 100% sure about the specific state) when it was recorded. In short hindi pa siya sikat at batang-bata pa siya nun. And the scatting is still rough (sorry I don't have better words to describe it). The name of the album is really Al Jarreau 1965 and it includes cuts like: One Note Samba, My Favorite Things, Stockholm Sweetnin, etc. I promise to burn one copy for you! :thumbsupsmiley: Bigay ko sa yo pag nagkita tayo in exchange for (drumroll please).... a glass of tempranillo! Okay ba? :cool:

Pareng Storm, vinyl sound does not necessarily include hiss and static as a given. If it were so, it is the result of improper care and maintenance of a record over the years. A second-hand lp (in decent shape) can still be 'salvaged' by cleaning. If done with one of those record-cleaning vacuums, it will remove at least 90% of surface noise. Most importantly, IMO, it cleans-up the midrange, where also 90% of the musical information is heard. If you have a good system (that's another topic), you will be highly rewarded. Whereas CD's offer the convenience of swithching around without having to leave your listening position, analog reproduction/LP maintenance is a different school altogether. When it comes to analog, the sound you get is the result of what you put into it. You can ask the hardcore audiophiles why they prefer the analog sound over digital. I'm not one of those (and I know a few...iba sila ^_^ ), but I know just enough to know what I'm talking about.

I listen to both formats. There are CD's that are not available in LP.....and LP's that are not available in CD's. Analog draws you into the music a lot more, but to give credit to the digital age, they are slowly getting there. Not quite, pero darating din yan. Of course, theres also the question of how well your ears are trained to hear all these differences.

I'll say again that there IS an alternative to buying LP's in Makati Cinema Square if they don't have what you want (or the condition is lousy). If you're willing to spend just a littlle more, you can find the LP you want in the condition you want without leaving the country or spending in dollars. You can ask me about it at a future eb. :goatee:

Sir Bods, the store beside B's that closed down also belonged to him. In 2 words, rental costs.

May mga fanatic pala ng CSNY at Kansas dito

Heto kay Neil Young

- Four Strong Winds

- Helpless

I can't really consider myself a CSNY fanatic pero my favorite song of theirs is "Our House" which was released around 1970 yata. Great song with a simple message about life and love. :cool:

Cartimar is where we buy our Japanese supplies nowadays....I'm in MCS once a month - dun na din ako tumitingin ng mga DVD. I remember MCS back in the 80's - wala pa yung binggohan dyan sa basement - what it had were a lot of stores selling LP's - aside from Bobby's, nandun yung kina GReg, kina Manny (na kinaasaran nila) and some other guy's...yung kay Bobby na lang natira ngayon...

Pare text me kung kailan ka pupunta sa MCS. Baka pwede ako sumama. Makadalaw jan.

I know what you mean. Because his "first" album didn't come out until 75-76 yata but ok here's the run-down (teaser kumbaga). From what I remember about what was written in the album cover (medyo inanay na kasi eh although yung plaka itself ok pa), AJ was a still in college at that time and was part-timing as a singer in a bar near his school in Wisconsin (not 100% sure about the specific state) when it was recorded. In short hindi pa siya sikat at batang-bata pa siya nun. And the scatting is still rough (sorry I don't have better words to describe it). The name of the album is really Al Jarreau 1965 and it includes cuts like: One Note Samba, My Favorite Things, Stockholm Sweetnin, etc. I promise to burn one copy for you! :thumbsupsmiley: Bigay ko sa yo pag nagkita tayo in exchange for (drumroll please).... a glass of tempranillo! Okay ba? :cool:

Pare, idamay mo na rin ako kapag nag-eb tayo - joint 70s and wine savvy eb. Thanks in advance.

Pareng Storm, vinyl sound does not necessarily include hiss and static as a given. If it were so, it is the result of improper care and maintenance of a record over the years. A second-hand lp (in decent shape) can still be 'salvaged' by cleaning. If done with one of those record-cleaning vacuums, it will remove at least 90% of surface noise. Most importantly, IMO, it cleans-up the midrange, where also 90% of the musical information is heard. If you have a good system (that's another topic), you will be highly rewarded. Whereas CD's offer the convenience of swithching around without having to leave your listening position, analog reproduction/LP maintenance is a different school altogether. When it comes to analog, the sound you get is the result of what you put into it. You can ask the hardcore audiophiles why they prefer the analog sound over digital. I'm not one of those (and I know a few...iba sila ^_^ ), but I know just enough to know what I'm talking about.

I listen to both formats. There are CD's that are not available in LP.....and LP's that are not available in CD's. Analog draws you into the music a lot more, but to give credit to the digital age, they are slowly getting there. Not quite, pero darating din yan. Of course, theres also the question of how well your ears are trained to hear all these differences.

I'll say again that there IS an alternative to buying LP's in Makati Cinema Square if they don't have what you want (or the condition is lousy). If you're willing to spend just a littlle more, you can find the LP you want in the condition you want without leaving the country or spending in dollars. You can ask me about it at a future eb. :goatee:

Sir Bods, the store beside B's that closed down also belonged to him. In 2 words, rental costs.

Thanks for the info. I think I have a good system but I don't have a good turn table and the budget to buy one.

OK lang pareng willow boy, thanks for asking.

If you're still into vinyl, or say you want to burn songs for LPs into a CD, there's this place in Makati Cinema Square called Be-Bop. They have a hell of a collection ! Reminds me of the Sta Mesa Stop and Shop days. Only problem is, he has so much albums crammped in a tiny shop so it's hard to browse. But if you know exactly what you're looking for, chances are he has it. So far I've had Tom Scott albums (Intimate Strangers, New York Connection, Apple Juice), Joe Jackson (Big World) and Leroy Hutson (Hutson) burned. As far as I know, theer's no place in the world where one can buy CD versions of those, not even in amazon.com. I've often suggested that they create a catalogue for easier reference but they haven't done it yet. In case you're visiting, it's in the basement 1 of Makati Cinema Square where the bingo place is.

Kainis lang yung plaka pag marami ng scratches >:-(

Pareng sliderule, thank you very much for this info. I'm in the US pero my sister is still there and she, like me, is also into LPs. I'll have her check the place out and I'd love to check it out too once I get the chance to fly back. Miss ko na ang 'Pinas. :cool:

Bods, kumusta na? Haven't had time to post, as you can see. It's great that this thread is up and about. That just shows that the 70s was a great time in our lives. We not only relive memories, we even remember brands and places! Yes, please let's have EB soon. I'll bring my Maxell cassettes, some of which are 20 years old but still sound great. And I'm sure you can identify yourselves with the music. Storm, PM your cell. Think I lost it. So, buhay pa pala shop ni Bobby. Known him since the late 80s. Although I hear his LPs are a bit pricey, he can still get whatever you're looking for. I used to collect myself but sold them eventually.

Here a short 70s quiz (name song and artist/band)

1. I let my woman flow to her own natural rhythm...

2. Because I'm free, nothing's worrying me...

3. But the things we have, no one could ever take them...

4. The mountain is high, the valley is low, and you're confused on which way to go...

5. Crossroads seem to come and go...

6. American woman, she took my heart away...

7. I feel unhappy, I feel so sad, I've lost the best friend I've ever had...

8. Hello morning, good, good morning to the one I love...

9. Talk to me some more, you don't have to go...

10 So hello my friend, good to see you again...

I'm in the US pero my sister is still there and she, like me, is also into LPs. I'll have her check the place out and I'd love to check it out too once I get the chance to fly back. Miss ko na ang 'Pinas. :cool:

Bosing, you are in a place where there are used records galore. They have inventories there that would put M.C. Square to shame in a heartbeat. If you are REALLY interested in hunting down some vinyl there, send me a PM. :)