Traffic Problem In Metro Manila (Merged Thread)

The odd-even scheme being proposed by that shitbrain of a president won't work because people will still look for a way around it, specifically, getting new cars that have even last numbers on their plates when they have odd last numbers on their plates and vice versa. The imbeciles who are in charge of traffic should espouse road discipline to their field subordinates who should crack the whip on buses and jeeps who are the ones who perpetually break traffic rules. The thing is the government agency in charge of traffic lacks the manpower to enforce the traffic rules. Moreover, I see many streets that are roads less traveled because of many obstructions on them. These streets could be alternative routes for motorists but motorists get put off because of these obstructions. Instead of implementing an asinine and oppressive traffic scheme like that odd-even scheme, the government should work hand in hand with LGUs to clear these streets of obstructions and crack the whip on buses and jeeps. Buses should also be limited to 5 units per bus company on Edsa because those buses don't get filled up. They only add to the horrendous traffic that Metro Manilans are experiencing. Also, LGUs should charge a premium for cars that are parked on the streets in order to discourage parking on the streets.

Correct.

I agree with this.

Puro kasi private ang hinuhuli ng mga traffic enforcers.

Yung mga jeep at bus na nag aantay sa mga ramp up/ramp down ng fly-overs/underpass walang humuhuli (major cause of build up)

For example sa may Quezon avenue going araneta underpass, Meralco ave julia vargas fly over. grabe dito naka pila talaga mga jeep. pero ang mga enforcers nasa may kanto ng ortigas/meralco.

Puro kasi private ang hinuhuli ng mga traffic enforcers.

Yung mga jeep at bus na nag aantay sa mga ramp up/ramp down ng fly-overs/underpass walang humuhuli (major cause of build up)

For example sa may Quezon avenue going araneta underpass, Meralco ave julia vargas fly over. grabe dito naka pila talaga mga jeep. pero ang mga enforcers nasa may kanto ng ortigas/meralco.

May lagay na yung mga yun sir. Protektado na. Nawitness ko na sa jeep nung nakasakay ako sa harap tas pinara nung parak ung jeep, ngabot lng ng pera. Tas sa bus din sa bandang taft ako nun, pagsakay nung pulis, di na ngbayad, nghingi pa ng pera bago bumaba. Tsk tsk.

EDSA vehicle traffic from now will be managed by PNP CHPG intead of MMDA

If you are in the bus business you will know that this will only make matters worse.
Exchanging a hungry guard dog with a much hungrier crocodile

Tas sa bus din sa bandang taft ako nun, pagsakay nung pulis, di na ngbayad, nghingi pa ng pera bago bumaba. Tsk tsk.

At least the HPG compared to MMDA, are armed which means erring drivers can not simply run over or bully them

Oh well just like in any show, sa una lang yan. As days go, balik trapik nanaman yan. It is a livelihood in buses to snag and wait for passengers along EDSA, meaning if a driver does not do such insane acts he will go home money-less and so is Mr. Policeman.

Like you, I am also cynical but, if you remember, when the MMDA took over from the HPG in 1995, traffic became worse, hence, Binay's idiotic number-coding scheme which turned out to be a disaster as people found a way to circumvent it by buying new cars, hence, more cars on the roads. Maybe we should give the HPG a chance.

To name a few

- Strict implementation of traffic laws with higher penalties

- Improvement of railway transportation system (lack of trains, old trains, short trains)

- Improvement and widening of roads

- Public utility vehicles (should be owned and managed by the Government) - if private kasi, naguunahan sa pasareho and matagal magantay sa mga stops para kumuha ng pasahero

- Driving test should be strictly implemented before issuing a license (madaming bobo na drivers sa Pilipinas and don't know sh%t about road courtesy)

Sana man lang within my lifetime, maging okay ang traffic sa metro manila

In order to help fix traffic in the metro, another brilliant (sarcasm) idea was suggested by our lawmakers. They have this very smart (sarcasm) proposal to only allow vehicles with 4 or more passengers in EDSA.

I am not sure if the government is really blind to the real issue or are they just really stupid.

Reducing the vehicles in EDSA is one step in improving traffic. However, the key element is having a better public transportation.

Fixing the very minimal train system that we have and adding more railways to cover most of Metro Manila is the key solution.

If people would be more confident and comfortable with the public transportation, the less they will use their own vehicle.

Why would I bring my car to work and spend for the gas and parking fee? if I can have a cheap, safe and comfy ride to work?

Congratulations to HPG. We can now breathe more in EDSA.... travel time is much lessen as compared when MMDA is still enforcing kotong I mean traffic during their time.

You know what? I noticed din to for 2 days.

I'm back in QC temporarily and back to traveling from Mindanao Ave to Ayala. I usually take a bus from Paramount sa North Ave, around 6AM, travel time should average 1hour 30minutes to 2 hours. I usually sleep it off.

Same pag pauwi, off at 4PM, ride a bus around 4.30 to 5PM, should take longer time, around 2hours 30 minutes..

Aba for monday and tuesday, both papasok and uwian... less than 1 hour lang travel!

I noticed di na siksikan and abangan ng bus sa ilalim ng kamuning and mabilis din ang daloy sa Cubao ibabao. Same with Guadalupe/Estrella na lagi traffic araw araw.

Last night, Trinoma na ako g 6PM. Then umulan. I heard nawala mga HPG.. ayun nag pyesta mga bus siguro.

To be honest, as a (guilty) commuter, 50% of the problem comes from lack of discipline of people mismo.

Take for example, may bus stop na nga sa may estrella and guadalupe mag pupumilit pa din makalamang, forward ng forward hanggang kumalat na sa EDSA. Unahan ng unahan, hanggang ma cover na ang halos 2 lanes. San pa dadaan mga sasakyan nun?

Bawal bumaba, magwawala pag di pinagbigyan. Di naman sila magabayad ng fine or lagay.

Yung ma driver naman, both public and private, basta makakatake over, mag take over basta mauna lang sa stop light. Kahit na nasa pedestrian lane na. Kahit na yung fast lane dadaanan para lang mauna.

In order to help fix traffic in the metro, another brilliant (sarcasm) idea was suggested by our lawmakers. They have this very smart (sarcasm) proposal to only allow vehicles with 4 or more passengers in EDSA.

I am not sure if the government is really blind to the real issue or are they just really stupid.

Reducing the vehicles in EDSA is one step in improving traffic. However, the key element is having a better public transportation.

Fixing the very minimal train system that we have and adding more railways to cover most of Metro Manila is the key solution.

If people would be more confident and comfortable with the public transportation, the less they will use their own vehicle.

Why would I bring my car to work and spend for the gas and parking fee? if I can have a cheap, safe and comfy ride to work?

Few weeks ago, odd-even scheme yung gusto ibalik. Ngayon eto naman. Looks like you (Government) don't want us to use our own cars anymore. Eh di lalo dadami mga parked cars sa side streets? Sobrang kitid na nga ng mga side streets tapos madadagdagan pa. I agree na dapat decongest ang EDSA pero ganon din naman eh, traffic pa din paglabas mo ng EDSA. Puro private kasi pinag iinitan eh, ang MRT talagang masisira yan kahit anong gawin mo, natural wear and tear kasi mechanical. Kung hindi sana tinipid yung maintenance, at least maybe hindi ganon ka grabe ang sira ngayon.

A decade ago, hindi naman ganito. I park at any nearest mall along edsa and travel by MRT, ang bilis.

Syet, here are my thoughts:

1. Too many vehicles - Dapat mag-phase out tayo ng mga modelo ng mga sasakyan. Nakakadagdag sa volume ng mga sasakyan kasi yung mga hindi na road-worthy na private vehicles. Ganun din ang siste sa mga pampublikong sasakyan. For example, mga taxi na hindi ka sigurado kung makakarating ba sa pupuntahan mo at yung mga taxi na walang silbi ang mga aircon. Isama na natin dyan ang mga bus at mga jeepney na isang kalawang na lang ang pipirma eh ihahatid ka na sa libingan. Bakit patuloy na naire-rehistro ang mga ito?

2. Traffic rules should be strictly enforced - Napatunayan na yan ng HPG nitong nakalipas na dalawang araw sa EDSA. Ang susi syempre eh consistency. Hanggang kailan yan? Magiging sapat ba ang salary ng mga magpapatupad ng batas sa mga lansangan lalo na sa EDSA para hindi naman sila basta-basta masilaw sa kinang ng mga suhol? Naniniwala ako na dapat eh mga pulis ang nagpapatupad ng batas trapiko sa Pilipinas lalo na sa Kamaynilaan dahil aminin na natin - hindi lang sa hanay ng mga traffic enforcers may mga baboy sa daan - marami ding baboy ang pag-uugali na mga drivers. Dapat ding ipatupad ng mahigpit ang mga batas na ito sa mga commuters lalo na yung batas laban sa pagtawid sa mga hindi dapat tinatawiran at pagbaba at pagsakay sa mga tamang lugar lamang.

3. Trains - Ayusin ang MRT. Gamitin ng tama ang pondo para sa maintenance. Dagdagan ang mga tren sa Kamaynilaan. Imagine ninyo kung may MRT din na tumatakbo sa C5, sa C6, sa Roxas Boulevard, sa Marcos Highway, sa Ortigas Avenue at extension, along Ayala na magkokonekta sa Quirino Ave sa Manila at MLQ Ave sa Taguig, o sa Shaw Boulevard na magkokonekta sa Bambang, Pasig at sa LRT na tumatakbo sa kahabaan ng Magsaysay Boulevard? Maliban sa maraming magiging choices ang mga commuters, tatagal din ang buhay ng MRT na tumatakbo sa EDSA at ng mga kasalukuyang mga LRT.

Hindi madaling gawin ang mga suggestions ko. Kasi kailangan natin ng pondo na mabilis matuyo dahil sa pagnanakaw sa kaban ng bayan. Kailangan din natin ng mga pinuno na may bakal na bayag sa pagpapatupad ng batas. Kailangan din natin ng aktibong partisipasyon ng mga mamamayan na dapat ay sumunod sila PALAGI sa mga batas trapiko. Siguro kung mauunti-unti natin yan, in 10 years' time eh hindi na tayo mabubuwisit sa mga lansangan natin. Yun lang po. Bow.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's my take on this nagging metro traffic:

1. Prioritize efficient public transit (bus and train)

The main reason people still queue up to take the MRT/LRT despite the long lines and technical problems is because it is the most convenient, fast, and affordable transportation mode available in Metro Manila. Improve roads and bridges as well as pedestrian infrastructure. The idea is to get private car owners to use the efficientmass transport system.

2. Implement COE,Certificate of Entitlement, similar to what they have in Singapore

The idea is that we should have a law that will ban automobiles that are more than 10 yrs old in our roads. This will immediaty reduce the number of vehicles and pollution in our cities. Any new buyer of a car shall pay for a coe which is usually 2 times higher or more on retail cost of the car. Meaning buyers need to pay the coeon top of the cost of the car. The number of available coe is finite and is determined by the number of vehicles that our road network can carry efficiently meaning with minimum traffic at any given time.

3. Decongest and Create Metros

People converge on financial centers on economic reasons. Metros are hubs for businesses. Thus, concentration/convergence of people and facilities is inevitable, and in progression. The idea is to diffuse the convergence. Think Calabarzon, Tagaytay/Cavite, Laguna, et. al. much like Metro Cebu and others.

3. Regulate land use/Adopt underground mass transit

Land use in Metro Manila is epic. Only in our non-thinking country are people encouraged to set up their own one-storey house which again, takes up rare space in this small isthmus of Manila. With all the single-storey houses taking up space in the suburbs and even in Makati and Manila City, how can roads be expanded instead? There should be land regulation that bans one and two-storey houses and if possible people should live in high-rise at least in Metro Manila. Many cities have proven that an efficient train system does wonders for urban traffic management. Perhaps, with today’s technological advances and the appetite of business to invest in the economy, it is time to revisit having an underground mass transit system.

4. Get the parking right

With Metro Manila’s road systems mainly planned and prioritized for cars, parking is a big factor in the economic viability of real estate development projects. Too much parking, makes an area less pedestrian-friendly and wastes space that could be used for the types of development that can best suit the area. In my experience, creating too much parking spaces, especially in commercial spaces, also encourage motorists to use their cars to get there, adding to the traffic congestion. Too little parking, or the perception that there is too little parking, could scare off potential leasers or force patrons to park in the surrounding neighborhoods, creating problems for the residents and businesses.

5. Discipline Discipline Discipline

Road users should share in the solution of the problems, simply by following diligently the road laws and regulations, and be conscious of the greater good of the citizenry.

6. Tap experts

Other countries with similar dilemmas tapped expert/s to solve the problem in short and long term phases. The fee may be substantial but their expertise is very much needed.

Edited by artedpro
  • Like (+1) 1

Here's my take on this nagging metro traffic:

1. Prioritize efficient public transit (bus and train)

The main reason people still queue up to take the MRT/LRT despite the long lines and technical problems is because it is the most convenient, fast, and affordable transportation mode available in Metro Manila. Improve roads and bridges as well as pedestrian infrastructure. The idea is to get private car owners to use the efficientmass transport system.

2. Implement COE,Certificate of Entitlement, similar to what they have in Singapore

The idea is that we should have a law that will ban automobiles that are more than 10 yrs old in our roads. This will immediaty reduce the number of vehicles and pollution in our cities. Any new buyer of a car shall pay for a coe which is usually 2 times higher or more on retail cost of the car. Meaning buyers need to pay the coeon top of the cost of the car. The number of available coe is finite and is determined by the number of vehicles that our road network can carry efficiently meaning with minimum traffic at any given time.

3. Decongest and Create Metros

People converge on financial centers on economic reasons. Metros are hubs for businesses. Thus, concentration/convergence of people and facilities is inevitable, and in progression. The idea is to diffuse the convergence. Think Calabarzon, Tagaytay/Cavite, Laguna, et. al. much like Metro Cebu and others.

3. Regulate land use/Adopt underground mass transit

Land use in Metro Manila is epic. Only in our non-thinking country are people encouraged to set up their own one-storey house which again, takes up rare space in this small isthmus of Manila. With all the single-storey houses taking up space in the suburbs and even in Makati and Manila City, how can roads be expanded instead? There should be land regulation that bans one and two-storey houses and if possible people should live in high-rise at least in Metro Manila. Many cities have proven that an efficient train system does wonders for urban traffic management. Perhaps, with today’s technological advances and the appetite of business to invest in the economy, it is time to revisit having an underground mass transit system.

4. Get the parking right

With Metro Manila’s road systems mainly planned and prioritized for cars, parking is a big factor in the economic viability of real estate development projects. Too much parking, makes an area less pedestrian-friendly and wastes space that could be used for the types of development that can best suit the area. In my experience, creating too much parking spaces, especially in commercial spaces, also encourage motorists to use their cars to get there, adding to the traffic congestion. Too little parking, or the perception that there is too little parking, could scare off potential leasers or force patrons to park in the surrounding neighborhoods, creating problems for the residents and businesses.

5. Discipline Discipline Discipline

Road users should share in the solution of the problems, simply by following diligently the road laws and regulations, and be conscious of the greater good of the citizenry.

6. Tap experts

Other countries with similar dilemmas tapped expert/s to solve the problem in short and long term phases. The fee may be substantial but their expertise is very much needed.

starting with number 5 will definitely go a long way

Efficient Public mass transport system parin ang number one priority...everything will follow...

Trains....kahit from provinces to manila....yun mabilis na train....that way yun mga magugulay, bigas etc ilagay sa bagon ng train...no need for them to use trucks, jeepneys and owners to bring their goods...tapos magiimprove pa yun respective provinces nila...nde na kelangan pumunta ng manila para maghanap ng trabaho...

MRTs and LRTs....nabanggit na lahat ng posters dito....efficient and fast na nagcoconnect sa lahat ng metros...you think magdadala ka pa ng sasakyan?...even mga buses and jeepneys..mawawalan ng pasaheros...malulugi sila...in turn magbabawas ng mga units...

And yes...ang problem talaga...madami nang private sasakyan...tgnan nyo lang sa umaga...private cars ang pumupuno sa edsa...

aaminin ko isa ako sa bumili ng sasakyan para macircumvent yun odd-even scheme...pero since exempted nako ngayon isang car nalang gamit ko...tsaka nakakapagod yun magdrive araw araw sa traffic...not worth it na dalhin ang sasakyan palagi...mas gusto ko p nga minsan mag MRT nalang..from mindanao ave to SM megamall dradrive ako...tapos papark nalang ako sa trinoma...kaso malas ko lang ata laging natataon na sira pag sumasaky ako...tska nakikita nyo ba yun pila every morning sa stations? Subjected na agad sa stress ang mga pasahero bago magsimula ng work...

Edited by azraelmd

While we're waiting for more efficient public transpo which take years to build...

- Clear the alternate routes of illegally parked vehicles

Gaya ng ginawa sa P. Tuazon kahapon, tow all vehicles parked along roads. Hindi lang national roads, this includes city side streets.

Remove illegal basketball courts, carenderia, and other obstructions.

Remove temporary tents used for wakes (burol) during the day.

- Require proof of parking

Kung mahirap gawin sa LTO registration stage (most likely fake documents will proliferate),

gawing mandatory requirement before approval of car loans.

For those na wala talagang parking space, here's my idea:

Require each barangay to purchase or lease idle/vacant lots.

Car owners can lease parking slots from the barangay or city. Lease agreement can be used as proof of parking.

- On EDSA, move 1 bus lane to the innermost lane to "express" buses which have their doors on the LEFT side.

Existing MRT stations that have unused street-level concourses can be used as loading/unloading areas.

North Ave, Quezon Ave, GMA-Kamuning, Santolan-Annapolis, Ortigas, Guadalupe, Magallanes all have these concourses.

Outside the existing MRT line, build platforms on the center island which are connected via footbridge to either side of the road.

The outermost lane for "regular" buses which still have their doors on the RIGHT side can be used as the "local" service,

or those which have more frequent stops along the road.

Finally, integrate MRT/LRT, express, and regular bus services under one big consortium.

This way, only 1 ticket or RFID card can be used for a single journey utilizing different modes.

Forced carpooling (3 or 4 passengers per car) will not work here for the following reasons:

• Unenforceable - pakapalan ng tint, are you suggesting we drive with windows down so that TEs can check the number of car passengers? In California the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane works because they do not have tints on the windshield and front windows.
  • Filipinos will always find a loophole - like Jakarta's carpool system, "car jockey" business will thrive. Tambays will wait at the peripheries of EDSA, charge 50 pesos per ride so that drivers fulfill the 3 or 4 passenger quota. Or drivers will simply bring their household helpers for the ride, and make them commute on the way home.
  • There is no alternate public transpo to speak of

Saddest thing about our traffic situation nowadays is.

From it, I pretty much figured out how our government really is.

The more laws/ordinance what have you's they create, the more money they earn. Instead of us benefitting from these laws, they don'r really give a sh!t.

Whether by lega meansl by giving traffic tickets; and of course where the big bulk of their earnings come from:kotong. If the cops can do it in the streets in front of many people what more of our government behind close doors.

That's all they care about really earn, earn and earn; no accountability whatsoever. Every year, same thing happens and this recent traffic jam that happened a couple of days ago. Every agency blaming each other, but themselves heck even the rain got blamed. Crazy. SMH.

Sa Makati na lang, taon taon baha sa buendia, wala man lang maka pansin nun at masolusyunan.

All we have have are excuses and nothing for decades now. I hate to see this, but we're pretty much on our own.

Ayaw man natin pero pag ganto mapapa alis ka na lang talaga ng Pinas eh. Yung oras ng buhay naten nazo zombified na lang ng traffic at corruption.

Yung baha sa makati (Buendia, Pasong Tamo, Delarosa, etc) I think sadyang hindi na nila ginagawan ng solusyon kasi yun yung catchbasin ng Makati CBD area. They are keeping the CBD dry at the expense of the surrounding areas.

Parang... bahala kayo sa buhay nyo dyan basta yung Ayala Ave, Legazpi and Salcedo Villages (CBD area) ay hindi babahain, tutal mas malaki binabayad na tax ng mga Ayala compared sa inyo.

The slight easing of traffic in EDSA when the HPG took over proves that the public transport system is the main cause of traffic.

Undisciplined drivers - loading and unloading at corners and intersections, over-extending their waiting time at bus stops, cutting in-and-out of lane

Unregulated dispatching - not cooperating with MMDA's proposed dispatching system that was supposed to send buses at calculated intervals to avoid overcrowding the bus stops along EDSA.

Biglang tumino ang mga bus drivers nung pulis na ang nagta-traffic. Resulting to smoother flow within the yellow lanes.

But HPG is not the real solution.

Eventually, the bus companies and jeepney operators will find a way to divert the kotong collection to the HPG, just like how they do now with MMDA and local traffic enforcers, and then chaos in EDSA will return.

Let's not kid ourselves. There are too many buses operating in EDSA. There are too many cars, too. The solution lies in upgrading the infrastructure.

The real solution is a combination of:

1. widening of existing roads
  2. constructing more alternate roads
  3. implementing strict no-parking zones on secondary roads so they can serve as alternate routes
  4. limiting the number of buses in EDSA
  5. adding more train coaches and increasing the frequency of trains in the MRT & LRT
  6. phasing out the tricycles and jeepneys from the metropolis (buses taken off EDSA to replace the jeepneys, force the jeepney and tricycle operators to relocate to the rural areas)
Edited by camiar