Traffic Problem In Metro Manila (Merged Thread)

a more effective mass transit:

ie scheduled jeep/bus schedules and stops. no random stop here or there. tama na yung punuan. change the method of earning ng bus/jeep drivers.

the best would be kung di mo na kailangan mag dala ng sasakyan to get from point to point.

Correct ka dyan. Sa ibang bansa simpleng simple. Bus Stop, gantong oras dapat andun ka di hihinto except sa mga stops regardless.

Tingin ko dito hindi ipapatupad yan kasi mawawalan ng ganansya o kurakot ang mga traffic enforcer, MMDA, Pulis at pati mga mayor/LGU's.

Yang mga public vehicle bawal talaga ang ginagawa nila karamihan pero nagagawaa nila dahil nagaabot sila.

Improve mass public transport (like MRT/LRT), iretire na mga sasakyan na 20 years and older, bawasan ang bus at mahalan ang gasolina (hehe). I remember when the gasoline prices shoot up, sobrang luwag ng kalye nun, driving was a breeze.

That was what Singapore did.

Old cars' registration cannot be renewed after a certain number of years (15 yrs?).

You have to bid for the right to own one. Usually, the right to own a car (Certificate of Entitlement) bids out at $20,000 or more. Usually more that the price of the car itself. Registration costs more than $20,000 for a small car and more than $100,000 for an SUV.

This system enables the government to control the number of cars in the streets and they make enough money to sustain a world-class MRT, Public Bus, and Taxi system.

That was what Singapore did.

Old cars' registration cannot be renewed after a certain number of years (15 yrs?).

You have to bid for the right to own one. Usually, the right to own a car (Certificate of Entitlement) bids out at $20,000 or more. Usually more that the price of the car itself. Registration costs more than $20,000 for a small car and more than $100,000 for an SUV.

This system enables the government to control the number of cars in the streets and they make enough money to sustain a world-class MRT, Public Bus, and Taxi system.

This would work here as long as we had an efficient and trouble-free mass transit system such as those found in Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc. Whenever I'm in Hong Kong, I find the MTR as a very convenient way to get around. If I lived there, I wouldn't even need to buy a car.

Over here, we only have 3 lines. I would have thought that by now we would have at least 8 to 10 lines. Instead, we have one line that's extremely problematic (MRT) safety wise, convenience wise, and maintenance wise.

I used to take the MRT in its early years. I found it just as convenient as Hong Kong's MTR and just prayed that there would be interchange lines along Shaw Blvd and Ortigas. Well there's an interchange line in Cubao (LRT 2). It made travel between Makati and Quezon City a breeze and in those days, very few people used the MRT. One could actually find a seat easily.

Today, the MRT breaks down on a regular basis and the number of people who use this greatly exceeds the capacity of the MRT. The poor planning and poor maintenance of the MRT makes it very inconvenient to use. Hence, the need for private vehicles.

This would work here as long as we had an efficient and trouble-free mass transit system such as those found in Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc. Whenever I'm in Hong Kong, I find the MTR as a very convenient way to get around. If I lived there, I wouldn't even need to buy a car.

Over here, we only have 3 lines. I would have thought that by now we would have at least 8 to 10 lines. Instead, we have one line that's extremely problematic (MRT) safety wise, convenience wise, and maintenance wise.

I used to take the MRT in its early years. I found it just as convenient as Hong Kong's MTR and just prayed that there would be interchange lines along Shaw Blvd and Ortigas. Well there's an interchange line in Cubao (LRT 2). It made travel between Makati and Quezon City a breeze and in those days, very few people used the MRT. One could actually find a seat easily.

Today, the MRT breaks down on a regular basis and the number of people who use this greatly exceeds the capacity of the MRT. The poor planning and poor maintenance of the MRT makes it very inconvenient to use. Hence, the need for private vehicles.

This lack of vision and planning for an effective mass transport system spans several administrations. GMA, Erap, and Abnoy failed to expand the mass transpot system of Metro Manila.

Improve mass public transport (like MRT/LRT), iretire na mga sasakyan na 20 years and older, bawasan ang bus at mahalan ang gasolina (hehe). I remember when the gasoline prices shoot up, sobrang luwag ng kalye nun, driving was a breeze.

The next administration must not only improve the mass public transport system. It must exand it. The administration must continue putting up new lines which all interconnect so people can commute in comfort and at the same time, improve the traffic situation in Metro Manila. Employee tardiness can likewise be minimized if we had an effective and efficient mass transport system, saving the country billions of pesos in lost revenues.

The LRT and MRT are having troubles now because the revenue they get from fares are too low to sustain the system. In addition, the train station facilities are commercially underutilized to generate supplemental revenue.

We should allow them to raise the fares. The government should phase out the subsidy, maximize the revenues on advertising and commercial space rental in the train stations, and gradually raise the fares to make it self-sustaining.

Edited by camiar
  • Like (+1) 1

The LRT and MRT are having troubles now because the revenue they get from fares are too low to sustain the system. In addition, the train station facilities are commercially underutilized to generate supplemental revenue.

We should allow them to raise the fares. The government should phase out the subsidy, maximize the revenues on advertising and commercial space rental in the train stations, and gradually raise the fares to make it self-sustaining.

I agree with this but the problem is the purchasing power of Filipinos is quite limited. You increase the fare by P20 or P30, and you have protests left and right. People should realize that they get what they pay for. If people want a worry-free mass transport system, they should be prepared to pay for that.

Same thing goes with education. When schools raise tuition fees, many people protest. Thing is, if the schools don't raise tuition fees, it won't be able to pay the wages of good teachers who will leave the Philippines for greener pastures abroad. Without tuition fee increases, schools will not be able to provide for better facilities.

People only see the cost but not the benefits of price increases in mass transport and education.

• Like (+1) 1

The system they are using is still DOS based. How outdated is that? Poor management, no revenues. Everything was taken for granted until this frequent breakdown occurred.

impose strict discipline on the roads on where to let off and take in passengers. not on the 2nd 3rd or even 4th lane to avoid the buses and jeepneys from blocking smooth traffic flow. impose fine also on passengers who ride and get off in the middle of the road.

remove ALL obstructions from alternate routes like parked jeepneys, food stalls, tents of barangay offices etc. implement traffic rules strictly and impound vehicles violating traffic rules meant to assure smooth traffic flow.

bawasan mga bus sa edsa. malimit kalahati lang laman kaya bawasan ng kalahati para bawas agad mga malalaking bus sa edsa

kadami pwede gawin para ma improve ang traffic. ayaw naman gawin dahil may lobby groups na nag susuhol sa mga opisyal para hindi gawin ang tamang solusyon

I agree with this but the problem is the purchasing power of Filipinos is quite limited. You increase the fare by P20 or P30, and you have protests left and right. People should realize that they get what they pay for. If people want a worry-free mass transport system, they should be prepared to pay for that.

Same thing goes with education. When schools raise tuition fees, many people protest. Thing is, if the schools don't raise tuition fees, it won't be able to pay the wages of good teachers who will leave the Philippines for greener pastures abroad. Without tuition fee increases, schools will not be able to provide for better facilities.

People only see the cost but not the benefits of price increases in mass transport and education.

It takes political will. Abnoy had the political capital in his early days to increase the fare. But he wasted his chance.

Sayang. Abnoy should have used his political capital to improve the MRT's revenue situation. If he increased the fares during the early days of his term, even by just a small amount, the MRT system should not have deteriorated to its present state, and he wouldn't have met resistance to additional gradual increases as long as the system worked fine.

Now that the system is in shambles, they talk about raising the fares. Talk about incompetence and insensitiveness!

Mind you, Mar Roxas was the DOTC Secretary during those days when they had the chance.

Edited by camiar

This lack of vision and planning for an effective mass transport system spans several administrations. GMA, Erap, and Abnoy failed to expand the mass transpot system of Metro Manila.

In fairness to GMA, she tried to expand the rail system but met constant resistance from vested interests in congress. If you remember, it was during her term when the north and south rail right-of-way were cleared of squatters. However, Liberal party opposition prevented her from pushing through with the rail project. To be specific, it was Drilon who blocked the North Rail project so he can have the project transferred to Iloilo. The result, parehong walang nakinabang. The North Rail could have made Clark International Airport a viable alternative for NAIA.

Also in fairness to GMA, she made a lot of progress in getting the SLEX, NLEX, and MRT Balintawak line fast tracked.

She was also the one who successfully cleared the Airport Road of squatters to widen the road for the skyway that's being built today.

Sana mawala na ang jeeps. Gawing professional ang drivers ng mass transport system, ang sabi sa license "Professional" pero tignan mo naman ang asta ng mga jeepney driver.

Sobra sa pagka squatter, walang pakelam sa rules, pag nakabangga paawa epek. Pag nabangga dahil sa kagaguhan nya din lakas manghuthot. Nakatambay sa lahat ng establishments, crossroads, kanto na talagang sagabal. Kaawa awa yung biker na pinitpit ng jeep sa puno/poste lately.

Walang pakelam sa pasahero ang driver. Siyamam kung syaman kung mapitpit pa, di saaalang alang ang iba't ibang sukat ng tao. Kapag naunahan sya ng kapwa jeep driver nya bubugahan nya to ng usok nya sa pamamagitan ng pag rebolusyon ng todo para mausukan yung karibal na jeep.

Simbolo ng walang pagka asenso ang Jeepney as a major transpo system. Sana mawala na to at palitan ng mas efficient at makataong system.

Tricycles should be taken off the cities and towns and allowed to operate only in the barangays.

Jeepneys should be banned from cities and allowed only in towns and municipalities outside the metropolis.

Only buses, electric shuttle coaches, taxis, LRTs and MRTs should be allowed in cities.

post-206207-0-70231900-1430488694_thumb.jpg

electric coaches or e-jitneys

Edited by camiar
  • Like (+1) 1

In fairness to GMA, she tried to expand the rail system but met constant resistance from vested interests in congress. If you remember, it was during her term when the north and south rail right-of-way were cleared of squatters. However, Liberal party opposition prevented her from pushing through with the rail project. To be specific, it was Drilon who blocked the North Rail project so he can have the project transferred to Iloilo. The result, parehong walang nakinabang. The North Rail could have made Clark International Airport a viable alternative for NAIA.

Also in fairness to GMA, she made a lot of progress in getting the SLEX, NLEX, and MRT Balintawak line fast tracked.

She was also the one who successfully cleared the Airport Road of squatters to widen the road for the skyway that's being built today.

Speaking of squatters, it was reported on the news that squatters were responsible for the derailment of a PNR commuter train near the Magallanes station the other day. Seems squatters living near railroad tracks haven't been completely relocated.

When will public officials finally rid the metropolis of squatters? They are a major source of urban blight and crime. When you squat on someone else's land, that is theft. Theft is a crime just as corruption is theft. Both are crimes.

How can any legislator see it any other way than a crime? How can congress as a whole consider squatting as anything other than a crime? Squatting is stealing and the last I checked, stealing is a crime against God and man.

Anyone who coddles squatters should be considered a promoter of theft and should be imprisoned. There is no excuse for tolerating squatters. It's this toleration of squatters that encourages people living in the provinces to migrate to Metro Manila and eventually end up squatting.

The final solution to ease traffic in the metropolis is to put up an effective and efficient mass transport system where different lines going to different destinations all interconnect at one station or another. Based on the size of Metro Manila, I think we need a minimum of about 6 lines. So far we only have 3 (2 if the MRT is closed for rehabilitation) lines. Lines should interconnect seamlessly unlike what we have today where commuters transferring to the MRT from the LRT at the EDSA-Taft intersection have to go down from the LRT station, walk along Taft Avenue and EDSA, then take the stairs to go to the MRT station. The transfer is inconvenient to say the least.

The PNR should also modernized its trains and the government should remove all squatters living along railroad tracks.

Private ownership of public utility buses should be banned. Government should take over the operation of buses and give salaries to the bus drivers to prevent the anarchy that characterizes the situation we have along EDSA today.

Private car owners may opt to take public transportation instead of taking their own cars if only public transportation is made convenient and safe. Public transportation today is neither convenient nor safe.

The final solution to ease traffic in the metropolis is to put up an effective and efficient mass transport system where different lines going to different destinations all interconnect at one station or another. Based on the size of Metro Manila, I think we need a minimum of about 6 lines. So far we only have 3 (2 if the MRT is closed for rehabilitation) lines. Lines should interconnect seamlessly unlike what we have today where commuters transferring to the MRT from the LRT at the EDSA-Taft intersection have to go down from the LRT station, walk along Taft Avenue and EDSA, then take the stairs to go to the MRT station. The transfer is inconvenient to say the least.

The PNR should also modernized its trains and the government should remove all squatters living along railroad tracks.

Private ownership of public utility buses should be banned. Government should take over the operation of buses and give salaries to the bus drivers to prevent the anarchy that characterizes the situation we have along EDSA today.

Private car owners may opt to take public transportation instead of taking their own cars if only public transportation is made convenient and safe. Public transportation today is neither convenient nor safe.

The question is does the government have a budget for these projects? I seriously doubt if it has.

Sounds good. Except a budget is needed to get these projects up and running. Without the necessary budget, these projects will never see the light of day.