Traffic Problem In Metro Manila (Merged Thread)

Aside from this, I think MMDA traffic officers should also look intimidating. No skinny, short applicants please. Applicants must be at least 5'10 tall, 180 lbs, minimum. When one visits the USA, the first thing one notices is the size of the cops. Most are over 6 feet tall, over 200 lbs of muscle. They all look very young, with short cropped hair. Their mere presence is intimidating. And an intimidating law enforcer commands respect.

Who's going to respect a 5'4 inch law enforcer, who weighs 130 lbs? There's nothing like a big bad looking traffic enforcer who looks prepared to kick ass.

Yeah, napansin ko din yan. Well trained talaga ang mga pulis sa ibang bansa. They are polite but assertive. Alam kung kelan gagamit ng lethal force. Marunong masubdue ng pasaway na motoristang lasing. O kaya marunong magingat kung may baril. Satin kasi, extremes masyado. On one hand, you have isang enforcer na walang pinagaralan at basta na lang pinasuot uniporme. On the other you have yung ilang traffic patrol na abusado at mayabang dahil lang may boga sila

• Like (+1) 1

1. urban planning. update all old urban plan of the city.

2. finish the unfinish projects like c3, reina rigente road widening and etc.

3. more mass transport system like, mrt,lrt and bus. (this can reduce number of private cars on the road)

4. re-plan bus and jeepney routes and system. like cubao-baclaran or mcu to baclaran route can use bus instead of jeep. EDSA should not be the only route for bus.

5. re-construct the LTFRB, LTO, MMDA,PNR and other related system.

6. re-education drivers and commuters.

7. implementation.

so good the we are the country to be first in many things before and yet so sad to be last in many things now.

it's not a rocket science for us to do this thing. but the problem is the system limiting the people from moving forward. the public servant which many of the people pay for their services are leading the people to be under them instead for thebrighter future.

• Like (+1) 1

Metro Manila is too dense kahit anong project sa mass transport mahirap pa rin sumakay and ma traffic pa rin. What we need is a city like Makati in other parts of the country. Like in Cebu medyo okay na ang economy and infrastructure. Para din na lahat magpunta dito sa MM. The govt. should study the best city to improve to be the new/additional economic hub ng bansa. Kahit New York na may subway system ma traffic pa rin kasi dense din ang mga tao and fast phase pa sila.

Perhaps, companies may do their share by identifying employees who can work from the their homes via their laptops/desktops. Meetings can be done on-line, reports can be submitted as email attachments, etc.

If an employee doesn't really need to be physically present at his place of employment to do his job, then why not just make him/her work at home?

• Like (+1) 1

Pansinin nyo, napakatamad kasi nating mga Pilipino. Gusto sumakay at bumaba sa mismong tapat ng pupuntahan natin. Gusto sa mismong pintuan pa. Kaya tuloy ang bawat sulok at bangketa siksikan lang lagi at iilan lang yung no loading and unloading zone. Dapat baliktad. Mas kontihan ng husto mga pwede tigilan ng PUV. Matuto naman maglakad lakad ng konti. Sa ibang bansa, may oras at designated stop ang mga bus. Kung mahuli ka, eh di pasensya ka, next hour ka na makakasakay.

• Like (+1) 2

Pansinin nyo, napakatamad kasi nating mga Pilipino. Gusto sumakay at bumaba sa mismong tapat ng pupuntahan natin. Gusto sa mismong pintuan pa. Kaya tuloy ang bawat sulok at bangketa siksikan lang lagi at iilan lang yung no loading and unloading zone. Dapat baliktad. Mas kontihan ng husto mga pwede tigilan ng PUV. Matuto naman maglakad lakad ng konti. Sa ibang bansa, may oras at designated stop ang mga bus. Kung mahuli ka, eh di pasensya ka, next hour ka na makakasakay.

Tama yang observation mo. ang masaklap pa pag nagpapara si mamang tsuper hindi agad kesehodang nasa gitna siya ng isang one lane road. At halos kada saampung metro hihinto upang magbababa o magsasakay ng pasahero.

Saka un disiplina ng drivers. Sa US hindi nagkakabuhol-buhol sa intersection kahit na walang trafic light. may sistemang sinusunod. Automatic pag dadaan ka sa intersection full stop ka. Then ang unang dadaan ay kung sino ang unang nakarating sa intersection tapos isa-isa paikot. Dito sa atin imbes na mag full stop o mag menor man lang itotodo pa ang apak ng gas para mauna. Ang masaklap pa nito, yun kasunod na sasakyan nito na 2 o 3 kotse pa ang layo haharurot din para makasabay at di na maiwan imbes na paunahin na un nauna na dun sa intersection. kaya tuloy hindi lang ito sanhi ng traffic, takaw aksidente pa ito.

• Like (+1) 1

Tama yang observation mo. ang masaklap pa pag nagpapara si mamang tsuper hindi agad kesehodang nasa gitna siya ng isang one lane road. At halos kada saampung metro hihinto upang magbababa o magsasakay ng pasahero.

Saka un disiplina ng drivers. Sa US hindi nagkakabuhol-buhol sa intersection kahit na walang trafic light. may sistemang sinusunod. Automatic pag dadaan ka sa intersection full stop ka. Then ang unang dadaan ay kung sino ang unang nakarating sa intersection tapos isa-isa paikot. Dito sa atin imbes na mag full stop o mag menor man lang itotodo pa ang apak ng gas para mauna. Ang masaklap pa nito, yun kasunod na sasakyan nito na 2 o 3 kotse pa ang layo haharurot din para makasabay at di na maiwan imbes na paunahin na un nauna na dun sa intersection. kaya tuloy hindi lang ito sanhi ng traffic, takaw aksidente pa ito.

Agreed to both these observations.

not sure about road widening. look at commonwealth. a lot of accidents there.

my thoughts are:

1. driver discipline (i hate those drivrers that speed through small streets even when there are pedestrians or kids walking)

2. pedestrian discipline ( the green light for the cars means they go. precious seconds wasting because of the slow movers deciding at the last minute)

3. clearer road signs and markings (ever followed that lane that leads to a dead end?)

4. government owned bus companies with very strict bus driver penalties (agree to that one previously posted)

5. more efficient mass transit (how efficient is changing from the the cubao lrt2 to the mrt? or the mrt to the lrt1? mind the rush to work)

• Like (+1) 1

Perhaps, companies may do their share by identifying employees who can work from the their homes via their laptops/desktops. Meetings can be done on-line, reports can be submitted as email attachments, etc.

If an employee doesn't really need to be physically present at his place of employment to do his job, then why not just make him/her work at home?

this is a great idea, in fact I do this when I can, but current local internet infrastructure just makes this more of a hassle.

there are a lot of work from home start ups currently operating in Manila though, from English tutorial services to full on home based call center work, but the majority of jobs in Metro Manila still require people to be physically present i.e. factories, financial institutions, BPOs (especially BPOs that are tied into a central enterprise system), retail, hospitality, etc.

The idea is there, but the environment isn't mature or robust enough to support a tele-commuting culture.

Wala rin naman nasusunod na traffic rules and regulations sa atin. At ang pagenforce nito hindi to the full extent. I hate to make comparisons. Dito sa America magkaroon ka lang ng speeding ticket. Malaki na babayaran mo. Kung hindi mo babayaran ung ticket makukulong ka or pede pa ma suspend license mo. Ang point ko lang dito dapat mas matindi ang penalty para madisiplina ang mga drivers dyan.

This is ideal for me. Unfortunately, employers don't care how much time we lose from traffic and how much we will save from working at home. All they want is to get the 8+ hours work that they're paying for. In most cases they want more than 8+ hours if they can get away with it. But if we saved a few hours from working at home, they don't expect us to spend that extra time working for them. So they rather we go to the office (via traffic) to make sure we give them their 8+ hours (and extra).

Not just the drivers man, pati mga mismong enforcers na yan. Magtataka ka kung ni humawak man lang yan ng manibela. At sinong gagalang sa kanila eh mukha yatang di pa tapos ng HS mga yan? Kaya tuloy malalakas loob ng mga mayayamang motorista na sapakin o sagasaan mga yan. Ang punto ko dito, kung bibigyan yan sila ng authority, dapat naman magmukhang karapatdapat at professional man lang. Pumasa naman sila sana ng mahirap hirap na exam. Dapat sila mismo may alam sa batas.

Pero ang problema din kasi, ang dami dami ng sasakyan di na kaya ng ordinaryong pulis pangasiwaan nito.

I think many motorists don't respect the MMDA officers because many of these officers are more interested in "dilegencia" than actually managing traffic.

Edited by sonnyt111

Wala rin naman nasusunod na traffic rules and regulations sa atin. At ang pagenforce nito hindi to the full extent. I hate to make comparisons. Dito sa America magkaroon ka lang ng speeding ticket. Malaki na babayaran mo. Kung hindi mo babayaran ung ticket makukulong ka or pede pa ma suspend license mo. Ang point ko lang dito dapat mas matindi ang penalty para madisiplina ang mga drivers dyan.

Absolutely agree. It's time the government start seriously implementing traffic rules to the letter and imposing increased fines. If the jeepney and bus operators refuse to comply or object to this, then the government should revoke their franchise. Actually, I believe the government should gradually phase out privately operated transport services. The government should eventually take over the public transport service to restore some order in our roads.

• Like (+1) 1

This is ideal for me. Unfortunately, employers don't care how much time we lose from traffic and how much we will save from working at home. All they want is to get the 8+ hours work that they're paying for. In most cases they want more than 8+ hours if they can get away with it. But if we saved a few hours from working at home, they don't expect us to spend that extra time working for them. So they rather we go to the office (via traffic) to make sure we give them their 8+ hours (and extra).

The bottom line is the employers don't trust their employees. But what does it matter what the employee does at home as long as he delivers the report on time? Who cares where the employee is as long as he gets the job done?

The bottom line is the employers don't trust their employees. But what does it matter what the employee does at home as long as he delivers the report on time? Who cares where the employee is as long as he gets the job done?

I think this will only applicable on a certain type of business(es). Some service-oriented companies will do but not all. Same goes with the others.

Most applicable profession are the I.T. people especially the web developers and programmers to do their job at home.

Most applicable profession are the I.T. people especially the web developers and programmers to do their job at home.

I think another profession which should be considered are call center agents. These call center agents can be provided with a computer linked to their database and answer queries from customers right in the comfort of their own homes. Advantages include not having to contend with traffic, not contributing to traffic, and from the point of view of call center administrators/owners, reducing the number of buildings they need to rent/construct to house the call center agents, thereby saving a lot of money and/or reducing capital investments.

Win-win all around. All that's needed is some internal controls to ensure productivity and quality of service.

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely there are solutions to the terrible traffic that we have in Metro Manila. On top of my head, I can think of two: regulation and enforcement.

If those numbskulls from LTFRB will do their jobs and ensure that PUV operators (which are privately-owned) comply with various regulations, especially safety, it would greatly reduce the number of buses, jeepneys, and taxi cabs plying the roads of the capital. Personally, I think that way too many operators are being given franchises to operate PUV's, with little or no regard for public safety. Too many accidents are happening, causing traffic to grind to a halt in the busy roads of the metro.

At the same time, if MMDA and local traffic authorities will simply get down to business and strictly crack down on violators of any known traffic regulation (smoke belching, among others), at the very least we'd see an orderly flow of traffic and possibly a reduction of untoward incidents on the road.

Unfortunately, the ideal is far from reality. It takes lots of balls and a truckload of political will to see substantial changes through.

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely there are solutions to the terrible traffic that we have in Metro Manila. On top of my head, I can think of two: regulation and enforcement.

If those numbskulls from LTFRB will do their jobs and ensure that PUV operators (which are privately-owned) comply with various regulations, especially safety, it would greatly reduce the number of buses, jeepneys, and taxi cabs plying the roads of the capital. Personally, I think that way too many operators are being given franchises to operate PUV's, with little or no regard for public safety. Too many accidents are happening, causing traffic to grind to a halt in the busy roads of the metro.

At the same time, if MMDA and local traffic authorities will simply get down to business and strictly crack down on violators of any known traffic regulation (smoke belching, among others), at the very least we'd see an orderly flow of traffic and possibly a reduction of untoward incidents on the road.

Unfortunately, the ideal is far from reality. It takes lots of balls and a truckload of political will to see substantial changes through.

Ever see that long line of buses along EDSA that looks like a train? Blame the LTFRB for granting too many franchises with very little oversight into the compliance by public utility owners of safety rules. The MMDA is simply swamped by too many buses and jeepneys who consistently violate traffic laws. Buses/jeeps are poorly maintained, bus drivers are either clueless about traffic rules or are in a hurry to pick up more passengers in order to meet boundary requirements that they constantly race with other bus drivers. And when they get into an accident, the all too familiar "nawalan ako ng preno" kicks in. If I had my way, the moment a bus driver admits that he lost his brakes, that would automatically mean grounding the entire fleet of buses and cancelling the franchise. Because, if he admits he lost his brakes, how many more buses in the fleet are also in similar disrepair? How many more lives will be lost because of the failure of the bus company to ensure that their buses are road worthy?

The issuance of a franchise pre-supposes that the bus line properly maintains its fleet of buses. Whenever mechanical defect (such as loss of brakes) results in lives lost, then, it's automatically presumed that the bus line does not properly maintain its fleet of buses. In such cases, the franchise should be immediately revoked, buses of the owner confiscated so the owner cannot open up a new company using the same sub-standard buses. The owner can be reimbursed nominally for his loss.

The rights of the vast majority of commuters and motorists far exceed the rights of any bus owner. Draconian measures must be employed by the government to ensure that buses that aren't road worthy aren't plying the streets of Metro Manila.

• Like (+1) 1

yung mga naka green na QC enforcers walang alam sa pag ayos ng traffic. nandun sila sa lugar na hindi naman nagbabara ang traffic. iniiwasan ang mga area na pasaway mga jeep at bus para sana sila maniguraong hindi naka babad ang mga yun para hindi nakakaharang sa ibang sasakyan. either bobo, tamad or takot sa mga jeep at bus. or baka nabayaran na ng tong.

bwisit!!!!!!!!