Utah Jazz

FF

okur needs to regain his all star form . if he's not sinking the threes he's not being helpful to the jazz as he's an average defender at the 5.

I always thought that Okur was the 2nd coming of Bill Laimbeer.. I still remember when Laimbeer had that straight on three that would give the Pistons some breathing space which Okur always had in his arsenal.. But Okur lacks the toughness of a Bill Laimbeer in defense.. Have to agree with FF, his defense is close to mediocre, IMO.. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
Keep the faith!

December sked was brutal .. most games are on the road.

January sked should be the medicine the Jazz need for their awful win-loss record this season.

spot on tanis ! by last count , the jazz had played 19 road games by end december ... the most of any nba team. also the jazz have been winning big but losing close ( except that blowout by the lakers) .

with korver on board and with eight of the next twelve games at home ... expect the jazz to rebound this january.

btw ... it's too early to tell if kyle korver is the second coming of horny but his line's been pretty good over the past two games ( both wins ) : 11.5 ppg , .90 FT % (10-11) , 60 % three point FGA ( 3-5) and 60 % two point FGA.

Edited by FF

korver's addition ( along with memo regaining his touch and cj miles outside sniping ) is a valuable help in getting the jazz back in the groove.

this from the deseret news :

"We definitely feel like we have more options," Williams said, "and it spreads out the floor for everybody when guys like C.J. (Miles, who chipped in another 12 points) and Kyle are hitting shots for us, and Memo (Okur) is shooting the ball great right now."

"When you have guys that can shoot the ball and score, that frees it up for everybody. They can't double as much on me, it gives DWill (Williams) a lane to drive to the hoop," added Boozer, who because Korver was covered was free to knock down two mid-range jumpers in the final one minute and 13 seconds. "When you don't have the threat — you saw it during that three-week stretch (of futility) that we had — people were just packing it in and daring us to shoot the ball."

Jazz Gore Bucks 98-87

from espn.com ...

Utah's defense went from uninspired to impenetrable.

The Jazz held Milwaukee to two field goals in the fourth quarter while rallying to beat the Bucks 98-87 Monday night.

After shooting 57 percent through the first three quarters, the Bucks were 2-for-18 in the fourth and went the first 7:25 of the period without a field goal.

Deron Williams scored 14 of his 33 points in the fourth quarter and had 10 assists for the Jazz in their fourth straight victory. He made 16 of 20 free throws, including eight in the final period.

"I was just trying to be aggressive. When the lane opens up that much, you've got to take it," Williams said.

Carlos Boozer added 21 points and 10 rebounds for the Jazz, who outscored the Bucks 27-15 in the fourth.

NOTES : with the win , the jazz won their fourth straight game and fifth straight home game. compared to december's disastrous 2-9 record , the jazz have turned things around with a 5-1 record this january. the jazz have been night and day all season long ... reigning supreme at home while turning to patsies on the road.

over their last five wins (all at home) ... the jazz have been averaging 109 ppg and are holding down opponents to 94 ppg for a 15 ppg differential. over their last five road losses , rival teams have been scoring 106 ppg ; outscoring the jazz by an average of seven points.

The jazz must find a way to play more consistently if they hope to make it into the tough western playoffs. with three of its next seven games are on the road ( vs. denver , la clips and houston ; la clips, kings , spurs and knicks at home ), it's gut check time for the jazz.

Edited by FF
GORE! GORE! GORE!

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooozer!!!!!!!!! :lol:

ESPN sure loves gory headlines :P

htd ... headline was mine as well as the notes. story courtesy of espn. and yes i am a gore fan. splatterfest anyone?

boozer has been great so far. now if only memo would be as consistent ....

Yup. We need to all get together at a sports bar next time the Jazz are televised here.

Ano ano ang mga nicks nyo dun?

Mga pinoy or nasa Pinas na posters dun:

hayop, jaytulao, EltonBrand, royzzz

That will be great. Last season nanood sila sa NSG.

Then one american jazzfanz went here for work and i think lumabas din sila.

Palagi akong malas sa sked. Di ako nakakasama.

Ano ano ang mga nicks nyo dun?

Mga pinoy or nasa Pinas na posters dun:

hayop, jaytulao, EltonBrand, royzzz

That will be great. Last season nanood sila sa NSG.

Then one american jazzfanz went here for work and i think lumabas din sila.

Palagi akong malas sa sked. Di ako nakakasama.

tanis finally joined the barkada at jazzfanz. actually applied should be the word as the admin still has to let me in. see you there bro.

Utah Hits The Road ; Hope to Take Luster off Nuggets

It is one of the NBA's self-evident truths that all games definitely are not created equal. How could they be when the schedule crams 82 games for 30 teams into 170 days between the end of October and third week of April?

Every once in a while, though, the stars align and a game like tonight's in Denver arrives in midseason. For the Jazz, the opportunity is at hand not only to pull even with their principal Northwest Division rival, but to prove they can win on the road.

After a 5-11 December dropped them out of playoff position in the Western Conference, the Jazz only had to glance at the standings before Wednesday's practice to find themselves trailing the Nuggets (22-15) by a game.

"I was just looking at that. I thought that was crazy," Deron Williams said. "As badly as we've played, the team with the most wins in the West is like 26 and we're right there at 22. You've got to be at least happy with that, that we're not totally out of it and we still have a chance to get back in there."

As long as the Jazz can win the Northwest Division, there is hope. They would be assured of no worse than the No. 4 playoff seed, if not home-court advantage in the first round. It would be the same path that led them to the Western Conference finals last season.

In a scheduling twist, the Jazz and Nuggets have yet to play this season, even though both teams are nearing the halfway point of the schedule. Make no mistake, though, that repeating as division champion is a priority for the Jazz.

"The Northwest Division to me is a big thing, maybe not to everybody else," Ronnie Brewer said. "That's the first step of trying to win a championship - win your division, get a high playoff seed. We've got a long way to go, but I think it's something we can do."

Denver watched as both Allen Iverson and J.R. Smith boiled over in frustration and were ejected in the final minute of Tuesday's loss at Atlanta. A league spokesman said there would be no decision until today about a possible suspension for either player.

The Jazz also view tonight's game as the test of their January turnaround. They can match their longest winning streak of the season with a fifth consecutive victory, and have won six of seven games overall. All six of those victories, however, have come at home.

As formidable as the Jazz have been at home, they have been failures on the road, winning just six of 20 games. For his part, Williams said he wanted to see just what kind of intensity the Jazz could bring to tonight's game.

"You've just got to have more energy on the road," Williams said, "because you don't have your fans behind you and that sort of thing."

Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said the key was staying disciplined on the offense and taking quality shots that would keep Denver from running out on the break. Sloan also didn't want to hear about players getting up for some games more than others.

"I would hope not because they get paid whether they get up or not," Sloan said. "But I would think their job would be important for them to be able to play hard every night."

In reality, tonight's game counts just as much in the standings as the second half of the back-to-back set Friday against the L.A. Clippers. It's just hard to feel that way with the Jazz having two days to look ahead to the Nuggets.

"Every game's big for us right now, just 'cause we dug ourselves in such a hole," Williams said. "This one, there's a little bit extra because it's a team in our division, a team that's a couple games ahead of us but we're still in reach of."

after another road loss to the nuggets and linas WHO ? .... the jazz again turned on the heat at home with a 106-88 sinking of the clips.

notes : the jazz are a putrid 6-15 on the road. with the next game against the struggling clips at the staples center lets see if the jazz can get a rare road win.

i'll be sad if sloan retires :(

i'll be sad too. no coach has been with the team longer. that said , i hope that whoever larry miller brings in to the jazz will do the following :

1) accept the three point shot and use it as a legitimate nba weapon. the jazz are in the middle of the pack in terms of 3 pt percentage; shooting 35 % from beyond the arc. howevber they rank DEAD LAST in 3 pt field goals attempted. for sloan ( one of the most vociferous critics of the trifecta before it was adapted by the NBA) , launching the three has always been the last option for the jazz. that's why opponents usually zone on the jazz ; packing the paint and daring them to shoot from outside. usually works too.

2) play the rookies more ...even superstar deron williams sat on the bench in his rookie year. sloan has been traditionally hard on his rookies and gives them a lot of pine time. i.e . in their seemingly eternal search for a two guard , sloan didn't even think of playing morris almond more just to see if he was a possible solution. instead he trades for vet kyle korver.

3) learn how handle disputes and conflicts better. kirilenko , arroyo , d-will , memo have all at times languished in sloan's doghouse. sloan is too old and crusty to change so it's up to the next coach to improve on this area.