Build A Model Body!

Lufeet!!!!! :evil:

sheesh! wla ako ma-say...

its like the battle of brains against the brainless... :D :P :D

team eclipse vs. the odds

the odds being:

1) a miseducated 20yr old skinny kid who exposes his guitar like abdominal muscles (if they existed) and shares his exercise regimen & etc. ala doogie howser writing a journal of his routine...

2) a therapist (uh really or is it "the rapist"?) who shares his "intelligent" views against a more researched statement in strength training. you got class, dude..GERONIMO!

3) THE OTHERS - those who do not know the right training for themselves and easily believes the advice of self proclaimed masters of bodybuilding...(guys, i've been there, i've done that. now i'm happy to belong in a good gym who will take care of me)

if EG & OLY can only quote this..."Sorry, your time's run out! What do we have for the losers, judge? Thank you for playing Should we or should we not follow the advice of the galactically stupid!"

:cool: :lol: :lol: :lol:

equus, i don't know if you're in the same channel. first of all the topic was is valsalva maneuver can cause hernia and not increase strength. i believe that when you hold your breath it can increase your strength because you channel your energy more. this is like the adrenaline rush. however, since the topic posted was hernia. i definite disagree to hold your breath since it can lead to it. during training, some tends to hold their breath a lot especially when they are lifting heavy. this is not just on incident but it always occurs. try to count on yourself to hold your breath if you are lifting heavy and continue this for a long time. let's just see what will be the effect. i saw this in rotten.com where a weighlifter squat tremendous amount of weight and performed valsalva maneuver and then his intestines literally got out of his anus. if you have watched ripley's, there is also an episode there where a man pop his eyes out due to valsalva maneuver.

with regards to the belt, i could not imagine increasing my strength just wearing a belt. that's why i call it on the psyche part of a person since his much more confident in lifting heavy weights since he feels that he is secure in wearing a belt.

believe me worshipme, i've a licensed PT. in a thread like this, we should always read both sides of contradicting statements for us not to be manipulated or monopolize by a single person. an intelligent reader should know how to balance all the things that he/she is reading.

okay... gotcha... in regards to the pros and cons of this valsalva method, well, i think that this method is NOT for newbies and beginners... at all... and yes it could probably lead to hernia if you base it on physiological and anatomical theory however I still firmly believe that the pros do outweigh the cons... sabi nga ni jaworski diba, "kung ayaw mo masaktan, wag ka mag basketball!" Im not yet a FIRM believer of this practice but I think that it is very advantageous to reaching your max capacity if done correctly...

In regards to that guy with his stuff popping out of his anus, that is an extreme case... That is the price that he had to pay to get to where he wanted to go... its all about that... There is a responsible way of doing things, but to say that everything physically related is risk free is like saying I'm mestiso... hehehehehehe

The belt... haaaaay... the belt... in this case sir, experience should be your teacher... again, I have gone through extensive anatomical, physiological and kinesiological training like you and i am not out to disprove your expertise but the fact is that you are NOT experienced enough in physical activities and im pretty sure that you don't have a degree in exercise physiology (neither do i) to make a firm claim regarding something that you have not personally experienced...

In any case, thats my thing really...

I worked out in ecclipse gym yesterday and i will try to be objective... honestly, i loved the place... rarely do i find a group of people who really know what they're doing and when asked a question, they don't give you a crap answer like "Duh eh i answered like that because thats what they taught me at the seminar so it has to be true!!!" critical thinking is very rampant in this place so it is very conducive to higher learning... some principles im not totally convinced but im about 75 percent there...

My body is hurting like HELL by the way... completely... My squat got revisioned and so has my dynamic rows... PAIN... GROAN...

okay... gotcha... in regards to the pros and cons of this valsalva method, well, i think that this method is NOT for newbies and beginners... at all... and yes it could probably lead to hernia if you base it on physiological and anatomical theory however I still firmly believe that the pros do outweigh the cons... sabi nga ni jaworski diba, "kung ayaw mo masaktan, wag ka mag basketball!" Im not yet a FIRM believer of this practice but I think that it is very advantageous to reaching your max capacity if done correctly...In regards to that guy with his stuff popping out of his anus, that is an extreme case... That is the price that he had to pay to get to where he wanted to go... its all about that... There is a responsible way of doing things, but to say that everything physically related is risk free is like saying I'm mestiso... hehehehehehe....The belt... haaaaay... the belt... in this case sir, experience should be your teacher... again, I have gone through extensive anatomical, physiological and kinesiological training like you and i am not out to disprove your expertise but the fact is that you are NOT experienced enough in physical activities and im pretty sure that you don't have a degree in exercise physiology (neither do i) to make a firm claim regarding something that you have not personally experienced...In any case, thats my thing really... I worked out in ecclipse gym yesterday and i will try to be objective... honestly, i loved the place... rarely do i find a group of people who really know what they're doing and when asked a question, they don't give you a crap answer like "Duh eh i answered like that because thats what they taught me at the seminar so it has to be true!!!" critical thinking is very rampant in this place so it is very conducive to higher learning... some principles im not totally convinced but im about 75 percent there...

My body is hurting like HELL by the way... completely... My squat got revisioned and so has my dynamic rows... PAIN... GROAN...

i know that there are no such thing as risk free. what i posted is just something for all of us to know regarding this method. it's up to you to follow it or not since it's your body not mine. as the saying goes "NO PAIN NO GAIN."

Whos the skiny kid?

Better identify the people you are talking about.

Eeny... Meeny... Meinie... Hey Moe!

:D Big Smile! :D Big Smile! :D BIG SMILE!

In regards to that guy with his stuff popping out of his anus, that is an extreme case...

mr. equus, did i read this ryt?? may kinalman ba sa hernia ung lumalabas sa wetpu? hindi ba almoranas na ung ganyan?

tatanong lng po :)

with regards to the belt, i don't think you should have an experience just to wear a belt. and what kind of degree of exercise physiology are you referring to?

for me the belt only gives you back support, do you know what this belt is called it is a "LUMBAR SUPPORT BELT".

unless it is called "STRENGTH SUPPORT BELT", then i would agree that it will give you strength.

i also wear this belt during squat because sometimes my posture is not right. this belt gives me the prompt that this should be my proper posture during this exercise.

Actually, your program is good and I applaude the EG team for that.

However, someone already posted a question regarding a medical condition with regards to fitness and i think this is beyond EG's team of expertise.

Like what Oly previously posted.

Leave the strength training to them and leave the medical condition to someone who has a medical background.

Almoranas is the tagalog term for hernia in the anus. marami kasi klase ng hernia.

yung pinost ko na lumabas yung large intestine niya sa anus is a different thing.

All of this is very simple.

DJ25, there is no link because, as I said already, Supertraining and other books by Dr. Siff are books that must be purchased. You are welcome to review the copy that we keep at Eclipse. Just search intra-abdominal pressure on Google if you want to do some good reading. Dr. Siff is not the only physiologist/biomechanics expert to write about IAP. There are many other Russian coaches and scientists from the Soviet bloc who have wrote extensively about how important it is to safety and stability.

Your rotten.com example (if even true at all since we don't see an actual picture of a power event) is less-than equivalent to the 1-2 people every year (worldwide) who die from flesh-eating bacteria after getting a paper cut or other superficial wound. A whole bunch of "worst case" scenarios had to play out for it to be a possibility.

Again, we are talking about normal, healthy individuals. I can picture you at your PC with a bunch of your old PT text books spread out where you are reviewing your notes. Stop reviewing "worst case" scenarios/diagnosis and start looking at sports physiology for normal and healthy individuals. What you are saying is the equivalent to saying "nobody should ever drive cars and fly the airlines because people have died when taking those forms of transportation". When those disasters happen, there is an underlying defect which must be found. If the defect didn't exist, then there would have been no disaster. It's the same case where if someone has a physical defect that should keep them from participating in strength training, then they shouldn't defy their doctors orders and do it anyway.

Simple. The sky is not falling.

The Valsalva is as follows:

You take a deep breath. You squat to the bottom and the air in your lungs will give you stability and power to quickly launch yourself to the top. Nearing the top, most guys will hiss excess air pressure, or grunt (which releases pressure), or whatever since the pressure will be too great to maintain at a reasonable level to avoid passing out, eyes popping out of heads, dumping a load of poop-in-pants....Common sense.

Eyes popping out of heads? You have got to be kidding. We are comparing something deliberate and stupid to something that requires a skilled strength coach? I'm stunned.

why OLY, afraid of arguing to an intelligent person. don't you feel the adrenaline rush when you have a heated argument.

What are plyometrics?

Plyometrics are any exercise where the muscle is contracted eccentricly then immediately, concentricly. In plain English, the muscle is stretched (i.e. loaded) before it is contracted. A good example is push-ups with a clap in-between each push-up. Your muscle (pectorals in this case) is elongated and loaded by the downward force of your body, then immediately you must contract the muscle to push yourself back up.

Why do I care?

A: Because plyometrics is one of the best ways if not the best way to improve power. To justify this answer lets first look at what is power. Power is similar to strength except you are adding the time factor. Therefore the relation of strength and speed is what we are talking about when we talk about power. A person who can perform a specific resistance movement, such as jumping, bench press etc., the fastest would be said to have more power in that movement. So what we are looking at is not just the contraction of the muscle, but how fast will it contract. It has been shown that a muscle will contract the fastest when it has been loaded. This is why you should be able to jump higher if you crouch down then immediately jump up than if you started in the crouch. So if this is the best way to perform a powerful movement lets practice these movements. This practic e is called plyometrics and has been shown in study after study to decrease the time it takes for the muscles to contract, resulting in more power.

What are good plyometric exercises for increasing vertical jump?

A: There are an infinite number of plyometric exercises to increase vertical leap but here are a few good ones:

Two foot ankle hop (low intensity)

keeping your feet together and remaining in one place hop up and down using only your ankles and calves. Concentrate on getting as high as you can and exploding off the ground as soon as you land.

Rim Jumps (medium intensity)

Stand under a basketball rim. Jump up touching the rim (or net or whatever) with alternate hands. Concentrate on getting as high as you can and exploding off the ground as soon as you land.

Box to Box jumps (high intensity)

Place two boxes that will support your weight about 3 feet apart. Standing on one box step (NOT JUMP) off to the ground and immediately jump back up to the other box. Turn around and repeat. Obviously the difficulty of this exercise is increased as the height of the boxes are increased. Once again concentrate on getting as high as you can and exploding off the ground as soon as you land (notice a pat tern here?)

In all the above exercises you are using your body weight and gravity to load the muscle before contraction. The forces you generate are much larger than could be safely accomplished using conventional resistance (read weights) exercises. It is true these forces only exist for a brief amount of time, but they still stress the muscle which is the point.

Plyometric is not bad, it just depends on the intensity the person should do. you will surely incur injuries if you do high impact plyometrics if you are still in the beginners stage.

hahaha, EG, you are a funny person. you said that you don't have time but still you answer my question.

if you read my post, i told that you can post the link so that i can read it and change my perception. i don't want to go to a library just to waste my time reading this, the net is all that i need which is much faster. i hope you can post the link of Dr. Siff that the lungs and abs work together to stabilize the back. i have not read in any anatomy books that the lungs and abs can work together side by side to stabilize the back.

What do you mean IAP?

i also can't imagine myself wearing a belt and it could increase my strength. how does a belt increase somebody's strength.

i think this is more on the psychological part. this is like lifting something heavy but when you have a spotter you feel that you can lift it.

do you know the meaning of acute and chronic. having a hernia is not developed overnight, it is a long process and takes time. if somebody holds his breath over and over again, this would result to a hernia for a period of time. unless that person is just lifting for some months and would stop and then would lift again. do you see my point.

my argument here, some of the people posting in this thread is seeking advice for some medical related problems and concerns but still they want to have a model body. it is nonsense to say that this thread is for normal and healthy individuals. you should broaded you market with fitness. if you only cater for the normal individuals, you neglected some individuals who have medical condition but still wants to be fit. remember that FITNESS IS FOR ALL.

i don't want to argue with you when it comes to strenght training because this is your specialization. however, if i saw wrong advice for a medical condition, i will not just sit here and read. i want to correct that error. just what like you do if you see some wrong information for strength training.

1) My point of posting was to differentiate acute from chronic. What you, as a therapist, must deal with is based on the result a chronic condition. The pressure from IAP is acute in a NORMAL HEALTHY individual.

2) Please do not give advice on plyometrics if you are not a coach or an athlete. Plyometrics is dangerous even to ADVANCED athletes if they are not physically prepared for it. The problem here in the Philippines (especially lately) is that everyone reads even less than what you wrote, thinks that they are an expert and then gets hurt trying to practice these techniques. I would guess that NOT ONE person reading this board is in physical condition or has a level of preparedness condusive to learning plyo. Olympus is probably close in his conditioning and overall pound-for-pound lower body strength, but even then he still needs even more strength before I'd recommend that he start it.

Grabe napakataas naman ng tingin mo sa sarili mo. Pati yung pt ko iniinsulto ma na rin. For your info mam Anna, my PT is a part time gym instructor and a PT prof in PLM. She also handles the rehab-athletics gym in PLM. She knows the theory and the actual application way better than you. Also she is not rude and a well educated person.

Ive had enough of you and your friends.

Maybe your right, my mentor, SQ, is an idiot because she did not taught us how to be sarcastic and rude when it comes to dealing with instructors with a different approach.

Didn't we go through this that physical therapists have no room in the gym? Tha fact that she couldn't instruct you in the proper manner means she is all theory and no application.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the oven!

DJ25...I understand the point of your post. While noble, it is still misguided for the following reason:

If you are unable to perform the exercises that we are recommending and in the manner that we are recommending, then you will probably NEVER have a model body. This individual can look good, relative to what is their physical potential, but some people can never look like what is considered a "model".

That's life...and that's what we should assume when dealing with this thread.

If you want to start a thread called "general fitness for all", and want to discuss fitness for special populations, please do so. You'd have my blessing, and I'd support and help you do so based on my own experience with elderly trainees, and members who have conditions such as polio. There is a definite demand for this, and we also have to adjust our own programs based on their needs.

Again, this thread is about a model body...not on general fitness.

dj25,

shut the hell up!! everyone knows you're a broke wannabe out of shape trainer who looks like he can't even lift if his life depended on it and you keep parroting things from a book. I bet you can't even tell the difference of a squat jerk from a jerk you meet on the streets. You already said that you don't care about the advice you give and have produced ZERO ZERO ZERO results for your clients in dreamland so why the hell do you still insist on pushing your pointless arguments when you yourself can;t get yourself in shape

As they say "Don't take advice from a bald hairdresser" so just zip it boy!! OR DO i HAVE TO NUKE YOUR COMPUTER FOR YOU TO SHUT UP? IF THAT WON'T DO THE TRICK, MAYBE I SHOULD HUNT YOU DOWN AND BEAT YOUR FAMILY WITH A BLUNT SPOON AND DEADLIFT 355 WHIEL YOU CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT ?????

1) My point of posting was to differentiate acute from chronic. What you, as a therapist, must deal with is based on the result a chronic condition. The pressure from IAP is acute in a NORMAL HEALTHY individual.

And DJ25, you are making a conclusions that hernias are formed via repeated holding of breath with respect to athletes over long periods of time? Do have any evidence AT ALL that this is the case with respect to NORMAL and HEALTHY individuals?

You have none. If you were correct, the hospitals and emergency rooms would be overrun, the dangers and warnings would be all over the internet, and Olympic weightlifting would have been banned from the Olympics over 50 years ago. Yet, "strangely" it is not! Even the Bulgarian weightlifters train 6 TIMES PER DAY doing maximal or submaximal lifts that require valsalva/IAP. Yet they "strangely" have some of the lowest rates of injury of all Olympic hopefulls, and NEVER do you hear about them dumping their intestines all over the lifting platform on a random basis.

Can you see the problem with your irresponsible conclusions? You are fear-mongering based on a VERY loosely related condition...again, a condition that has NEVER been linked even REMOTELY to heavy strength training.

C'mon guy...what is it going to take for you to accept this reality?

Huh? Is there a fight?

Whos the skiny kid?

Better identify the people you are talking about.

take a good honest look in the mirror and you'll see who he's talking about.

And oh yeah, the fact that your PT keeps on talking about gym stuff when they shouldn't be in the gym all the more means she is a total moron or in tagalog INUTIL!!

when wil you ever learn that you'r a brave soldier fighting for the wrong cause and you're wasting your time believing all these posers and hacks??? i fel bad since you have so much potential yet limit yourself since you're dealing with the wrong people

As you said, Ignorance is curable, stupidity is terminal!!!

Speaking of which, if any pencil neck bodybuilder wannabes think they're working hard, if you try the 10x10 or 6x10 we do and make it through without at least getting dizzy, I'll shake your hand, treat you to dinner and a round of beer... Any takers?

Grabe napakataas naman ng tingin mo sa sarili mo. Pati yung pt ko iniinsulto ma na rin. For your info mam Anna, my PT is a part time gym instructor and a PT prof in PLM. She also handles the rehab-athletics gym in PLM. She knows the theory and the actual application way better than you. Also she is not rude and a well educated person.

Ive had enough of you and your friends.

Maybe your right, my mentor, SQ, is an idiot because she did not taught us how to be sarcastic and rude when it comes to dealing with instructors with a different approach.

well, one thing is for sure, I can insult whoever hack ot idiot you praise since by now you should know physical therapists do not belong in a gym. The fact that she can't even get you to gain an ounce of muscle means she's a total moron. Oh yes, I may be brash,I may be rude, I'm arrogant and cocky, but I'm bigger, stronger faster than you... got a problem with that? Most girls I train have alrady gained at least 30 pounds to all their lifts and wil soon outlift you and your skinny frame got a problem with that too??

oh and befor I end this post, I've given results to dozens of people long before you have even hit puberty and all without the supplements while you are nothing but a skinny kid with a bruised ego who can't accept that you're not training right and are nothing but a glorified supplement dealer who can't even put on mass to your body.. wake up and smell the coffee kid! you need to start training better. In 4 years that you've been traiing and attending alll those blue baby seminars by your moron mentor, you still haven't figured out that split training isn't the best way to go. Think critically kid!! Its sad that you're a future engineer who can't even use common sense.

well, one thing is for sure, I can insult whoever hack ot idiot you praise since by now you should know physical therapists do not belong in a gym. The fact that she can't even get you to gain an ounce of muscle means she's a total moron. Oh yes, I may be brash,I may be rude, I'm arrogant and cocky, but I'm bigger, stronger faster than you... got a problem with that? Most girls I train have alrady gained at least 30 pounds to all their lifts and wil soon outlift you and your skinny frame got a problem with that too??

oh and befor I end this post, I've given results to dozens of people long before you have even hit puberty and all without the supplements while you are nothing but a skinny kid with a bruised ego who can't accept that you're not training right and are nothing but a glorified supplement dealer who can't even put on mass to your body.. wake up and smell the coffee kid! you need to start training better. In 4 years that you've been traiing and attending alll those blue baby seminars by your moron mentor, you still haven't figured out that split training isn't the best way to go. Think critically kid!! Its sad that you're a future engineer who can't even use common sense.

And, even at 105lbs, I'm positive that Coach Elaine, a woman, can squat, deadlift, parallel-bar dip, pull-up....heck probably out-lift Andrean48 on all of her lifts! :lol:

Her squat - 245lbs - no belt

Deadlift 335lbs - no belt

bench press - 135lbs

Pullups - bodyweight plus 20lbs

Parallel bar dips - bodyweight plus 45lbs

Military press - 95lbs for reps

Do you want to challenge a woman Andrean48? At least then it might be close. Don't feel bad though....she is used to beating guys...in fact, most of the Assistant Coaches at Eclipse are more scared of her than they are of me :goatee:

Edited by Eclipseguy
And, even at 105lbs, I'm positive that Coach Elaine, a woman, can squat, deadlift, parallel-bar dip, pull-up....heck probably out-lift Andrean48 on all of her lifts! :lol:

bench press - 135lbs

Do you want to challenge a woman Andrean48? At least then it might be close. Don't feel bad though....she is used to beating guys...in fact, most of the Assistant Coaches at Eclipse are more scared of her than they are of me :goatee:

Wow lakas nita ha!!! :cool:

wrong again dj25... almoranas is not a hernia in the anus... where the hell didja get that? almoranas is hemorrhoids and if you don't know what hemmorhoids are and what is the nature of this condition then you should either quit yer profession or read up on yer books again...

what you saw in rotten.com is neither hernia or hemorrhoids... its actually rectal prolapse... and that my friends is another thing ALTOGETHER... don't want to make things sound complicated but I do want to make things clear and concise...

Oly and EG, play nice... no name calling unless the branding is accurate... hhehehehehehe...

Thing is andrean, i really think that you do lack what it takes to give sound and ample advice because you are kinda thin and underdeveloped... you can either choose to not listen and go about your life and have little or no gains in the next 4 years or you can have a HARD look into you program and lifestyle... Or, you can just get big, by any means necessary, and shove all that self-righteous stuff that EG and Oly are saying down their own throats... its upto you...

I guess what's really eating people up in this forums is wrong info... I think to be more accurate, it's outdated info... i must admit that the stuff that the programs ecclipse uses seems mmore outdated cause it is semi old-school in nature however this is the new trend nowadays... more and more people are starting to do the basics... seriously andrean, don't get left alone in the stone ages... And until your gains are substantial to the time and effort that you put in... hmmmmmmm.... dude... i don't like to judge but well, you know what im trying to imply... We're not trying to shut people up in here... at least im not... but we should also take responsibility for the things that we post... and if we cannot apply the concepts to ourselves and make gains, what more giving advice to other people? no matter how much school you went through...

bench press - 135lbs

woah! sya ba yung nasa flyer ng eclipse express? was there last night... 7pm or so. spoke with jelly (barbie look-a-like, yung singer). wasnt able go inside and explore the place though because i had to rush home.

Edited by devlin_acura

i feel stupid to ask this.. pero di ko talaga alam e. so here it goes:

in a workout, when you say bench press exercise, do you mean doing it on flat, inclined and declined? so if you're doing 5 sets, it'll be 15 sets for your chest? tama ba? or there are other muscles involved kaya dapat tatlo talaga for workout?

thanks again.

I think we need a mod here ....... siguro nga kailangan palitan na ang pangalan ng thread na ito into general fitness or di kaya may magcreate ng new thread for that subject......iba iba kasi ang mga personality ng mga poster dito e.......... :lol:

In my case, ive tried the 5x5 in my gym and i'd say ramdam ko yung burn.....lalo na pag di ako nagpaspot....great for increasing strength

.....effective sya.....kasi i was able to put on an additional 10kgs in my incline press....after the 2nd week but first, i think you need to psyche yourself up otherwise, feeling mo parang bitin......sabi nga ni idol ko habang may ginagangbang sya.....mind over muscle :boo:

btw, i met olympus and Ecclipseguy and i must say that physically im not very impressed... they are both on the smaller side... However I must give them this, I am certain that they have more functional strength than me, both power/kg or over all power... You know that these two can do the weight... And Im pretty sure that these two individuals are strong like hell...

So guys, there you have it... at the end of the day people will believe what they want to believe... and there is no absolute truth in regards to the right program... but there is the most efficient way to do things and there is also the most responsible way to go about it...

In regards to your questions, devlin acura, when it says bench press, unless specified, will always be flat bench... but if it says to do bench press exercises, the incline, flat and decline bench are the different types and yes, 5 sets per angle, total of 15 sets...