Build A Model Body!

I just finished reading EclipseGuy's article, the "5X5 program". I just have a DUMB question though. Is this program mainly for STRENGTH TRAINING or is this also for guys who want to BULK UP? I mean guys who's seriously into building hard mass?

The 5x5 link/program is basically complete now. It even has follow-up with respect to the further bulking you'll do with a GVT/10x10 program that will follow. Later I'll be adding some more write-up detail with respect to the other exercises other than the squat. This program should take care of you for the next 2 years of your training career.

Good that you mentioned this because I'm having problems with my schedule... I woke up at 5:15 am getting ready for work and the whole day is so tiring till I go out from the office at 5:30... by 6 i would be at the MRT going to the gym and arrive there quarter to 7... It's a good thing that i can still manage this and even I would transfer in a new gym wouldn't make a difference... but the problem is my health, you see I'm now sick, (fever and rhinitis - sort of a more severe form of sinusitis) because I think I tire myself too much.. my friends discourage me from transferring to EG cause they say it's impractical... but I want to ... do i need to take extra vitamins or whatever?... i'm quite pulled apart from both sides, my spirit is telling me go for it but my body says no...

One of the former members of your gym is now a VERY large member of our gym. He is a med-student who sleeps 2-3 hours per night but is already repping 325x5x5 in the deadlift and in the 200's for his bench and squats. He smokes and drinks beer as well.

So, AGAIN, training is the most important factor. Not getting enough sleep is not an excuse. I also sleep 5-6 hours per night on most nights. I'm deadlifting nearly 500 and benching over 300.

Thug left because he was a phony who wouldn't put up...so he shut up. End of story. I respect the fact that you stand up for yourself, but you need to know when you are surrounded by people bigger, stronger, and FAR more knowledgeable and EXPERIENCED than you. Take a back seat and learn instead of spouting nonsense about diet, training, etc. Your body says it all...and basically everyone has made it clear that they are tired of your distractions from the point of this thread of BUILDING A MODEL BODY.

Sorry kid, you don't have one. Maybe someday you will, but you'll need to drop the pride and learn like the rest of us did at one point. And no, taking steroids to get said model body doesn't count. I only say this because so many toothpicks who compete in Mossimo take steroids. A guy has to be a complete dolt in the gym to need gear/steroids to look like a Mossimo model.

Good that you mentioned this because I'm having problems with my schedule... I woke up at 5:15 am getting ready for work and the whole day is so tiring till I go out from the office at 5:30... by 6 i would be at the MRT going to the gym and arrive there quarter to 7... It's a good thing that i can still manage this and even I would transfer in a new gym wouldn't make a difference... but the problem is my health, you see I'm now sick, (fever and rhinitis - sort of a more severe form of sinusitis) because I think I tire myself too much.. my friends discourage me from transferring to EG cause they say it's impractical... but I want to ... do i need to take extra vitamins or whatever?... i'm quite pulled apart from both sides, my spirit is telling me go for it but my body says no...

You should take a daily multi-vitamin. Once you start exercising, your immune system will increase, you'll have more energy, etc. It's a chain reaction.

Let's put it this way:

When I was a little boy, I was the smallest, weakest, sickest kid with terrible asthma. Doctors told me I'd never be strong or robust. I was "destined" to a sedintary lifestyle, away from the "risk" of exerting myself.

20 years later, after 10 years of strength training. I tested into the Naval Aviation program, passing what was basically an "astronaut" physical, and was considered to be physically perfect as far as my heart rate, breathing, cholesterol, etc. Strength training changed my life, and it's what gave me the energy to create all of the things that I have created, including Eclipse. If I'm not a living testimony to what fitness can do for you, then I don't know what is.

Find a way. Don't listen to those who say that "it's impractical" or "you can't do it". You can. I did.

eclipseguy, my friend showed me the link for eclipse gym... eclipsegym.com. saw the about link and the mens fitness fact/guide the gym posted there.. astig! too bad the gym is so far from my place.. wala ba sa QC nyan? bakit sa may TAFT lang?! kainis naman!!! feel ko pa naman mag eenjoy ako sa training jan... astig eh... i like what they have written on the site.. what more kung sa actual gym na.. mukhang malupet training dun.. mga ex athletes and bodybuilding gurus daw trainers and they promote CORE training and FREE WEIGHTS.. lupet.. my kind of training!

guys, can you give me some good sites/links where i can read more about the tabata method and the different exercises i can use with it? thanks much!

Check out the General Fitness section at the Eclipse website. We have a "program links" section where the Tabata overview link is posted as well as some other metabolism boosting programs.

Thanks for the advice, bro and for sharing some insights and hard-fact experience... i'll be taking care of myself

You should take a daily multi-vitamin. Once you start exercising, your immune system will increase, you'll have more energy, etc. It's a chain reaction.

Let's put it this way:

When I was a little boy, I was the smallest, weakest, sickest kid with terrible asthma. Doctors told me I'd never be strong or robust. I was "destined" to a sedintary lifestyle, away from the "risk" of exerting myself.

20 years later, after 10 years of strength training. I tested into the Naval Aviation program, passing what was basically an "astronaut" physical, and was considered to be physically perfect as far as my heart rate, breathing, cholesterol, etc. Strength training changed my life, and it's what gave me the energy to create all of the things that I have created, including Eclipse. If I'm not a living testimony to what fitness can do for you, then I don't know what is.

Find a way. Don't listen to those who say that "it's impractical" or "you can't do it". You can. I did.

Nice to see this thread reopened.,

Not to be OT, I have a question for EclipseGuy:

On your 5X5 method, in what excercise will you be able to work your traps and neck?

This isn't OT since it relates to "buidling".

Traps primarily and neck secondarily:

1) Deadlifts

2) Dynamic rows

3) Standing military press

4) Pullups

5) Squats

Remember that the traps are called into action heavily and intensely with each of these movements.

The neck works secondarily. To make your neck stronger and thicker, you'd need to do cable work with a head harnass.

This isn't OT since it relates to "buidling".

Traps primarily and neck secondarily:

1) Deadlifts

2) Dynamic rows

3) Standing military press

4) Pullups

5) Squats

Remember that the traps are called into action heavily and intensely with each of these movements.

The neck works secondarily. To make your neck stronger and thicker, you'd need to do cable work with a head harnass.

Thanks for the reply, But I thought the main targeted muscle for deadlifts and squats are the quads, and the other muscles that are targeted for these two exercises are the hamstrings, calves and glutes? I never thought that the traps are also worked in these exercises. And also for the pullups, the muscles worked are the Lats, biceps and middle back.

I dunno about the other two exercises (dynamic rows and the standing military press) coz i really dont do these two exercises.

Can you clarify things for me?.

Edited by Sl@MDuNk_Mitsui14
Thanks for the reply, But I thought the main targeted muscle for deadlifts and squats are the quads, and the other muscles that are targeted for these two exercises are the hamstrings, calves and glutes? I never thought that the traps are also worked in these exercises. And also for the pullups, the muscles worked are the Lats, biceps and middle back.

I dunno about the other two exercises (dynamic rows and the standing military press) coz i really dont do these two exercises.

Can you clarify things for me?.

Standing military presses work the delts, triceps and traps. The abs and lower back are dynamic stabilizers here

The deadlift works the whole posteroid chain (hams glutes lower back) the traps and back, same with dynamic rows

You are correct. The "middle back" muscles are the traps that are worked during pullups. Remember that the trapezius runs from the base of your rear skull to the middle portion of your back.

During the squat, you must hold a heavy load on your upper back. The traps assist in the squat to maintain proper posture as well as keep the bar from falling off of you.

If you are not doing standing military press, you are REALLY cheating yourself. Most of my trainees have now de-emphasized their bench press training and swapped it with military press. In fact, standing military press is what the majority of my trainees cite as their favorite exercise.

Bros, help!!!

About a month na ko 2x a week na lang mag work-out compared to my usual na 4-5 times a week. It's because of my schedule at work. My program back then was for weight loss and with success.

Kaya lang eversince nag take ako ng whey protein (impact yung brand) plus the 2x a week workout I noticed that lumaki ulit tummy ko. Ang pangit tignan coz yung upper body ko (chest, sholders, arms) ay medyo defined na while my tummy and obliques have seemed to have bulged once again. I was 126lbs now I'm 136lbs. Ok lang naman mag gain ako ng mass kasi yun ang goal ko naman ngayon kaya ako nag we-whey, kaya lang bat parang tiyan ko ang lumalaki. I've lessen my cardio because sabi nila di raw ako makaka-gain ng mass kung ganun eh pano na tong tyan ko???

HELP!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with pilates, but it's more of trendy marketing than anything else. Targeted strength training is superior to pilates in every way...and can get you results in half of the time. If people like pilates, more power to them...as long as they understand that pilates isn't anything revolutionary.