Build A Model Body!

5x5? ah okies.... thanks...

5x5 is for strength training right? i was reading mens health kasi.. one of the programs there recommends 5x5 first lifting day, 5x20 second lifting day, 5x12 for the 3rd lifting day (MWF: strength, endurance, size).....

Let's put it this way...I taught a 1.5 hour spinning class on Wednesday this week. I NEVER do traditional cardio exercise. I completely and totally SMOKED everyone in the class and:

1) I'm 31 and never run. I just do a 6x10 or 10x10 as part of my periodization program.

2) My students were 18-22 and are always doing the treadmill or other useless stuff.

3) I had to scream at the top of my lungs during the 1.5 hours like a drill instructor while everyone else sweated and stared at the floor.

4) Most people were cheating, sitting, or otherwise not keeping up the intensity I needed to do as the focus instructor.

5) I'm even more hardcore when teaching spinning that I do in yelling at people in the squat rack.

Lesson....stick to the 5x5 and follow it up with GVT. Don't read Men's Health for training advice. Read it for the other content it contains. Seriously. Even their editors who know me have heard me say this over a dozen times, and they don't argue.

Let's put it this way...I taught a 1.5 hour spinning class on Wednesday this week. I NEVER do traditional cardio exercise. I completely and totally SMOKED everyone in the class and:

1) I'm 31 and never run. I just do a 6x10 or 10x10 as part of my periodization program.

2) My students were 18-22 and are always doing the treadmill or other useless stuff.

3) I had to scream at the top of my lungs during the 1.5 hours like a drill instructor while everyone else sweated and stared at the floor.

4) Most people were cheating, sitting, or otherwise not keeping up the intensity I needed to do as the focus instructor.

5) I'm even more hardcore when teaching spinning that I do in yelling at people in the squat rack.

Lesson....stick to the 5x5 and follow it up with GVT. Don't read Men's Health for training advice. Read it for the other content it contains. Seriously. Even their editors who know me have heard me say this over a dozen times, and they don't argue.

thanks!!! thats why i always consult the guys here! you sure know what youre talking about! thanks :) :cool:

just a question about programs. i have not change my program in a while, kasi hindi ko alam kapalit! hehehe guys can you help me formulate a new program? i can train 3xweek lang kasi. i just want to know which muscle groups can be trained together on a single workout? sabi sakin nung trainer try ko daw for e.g. legs and shoulders, chest and biceps, back and triceps...eh di i will be training large musclegroup in 3 different days not twice a week as recommended? tama ba? i also want to know the concept of day1 and day2. please help. thanks!!!

Is it just me or are you just scanning the thread and not reading it. Your trainer is a total idiot and is just wasting your money.

We have already posted a 5x5 link for you guys to follow and still don't follow it. Are you a college graduate? if I was your dean, I would have never passed you for not using that space of mass between your ears. use it for crying out loud. I am so sick and tired of all these babies who whine and cry then ask for advice but don't listen.

For the record, you've been asking advice from me for a year and yet you don't sem to follow it. What gives? do you really want results? then why the hell arent you following what we are teaching?

question lang EG and Oly,

i've been doing the 5x5 for 4 weeks now. what can i do to modify it a little so it can have more emphasis on the delts? i feel like i have lagging delts. what i did is to add an extra set for the military press. instead of doing 4 sets, i made it 5 sets. is this ok? what other suggestions can you give?

thanks.

ehhehehehehehehe... easy oly... puso mo bro... in fairness to OLY and EG though, bro telemaster, makulit ka nga... pa ulit ulit ulit lang mga concern m o na hindi ka naman sumusunod dito at subukan yung mga pinag sasabi dito...

Nakaka frustrate nga naman... I guess we'll have to spell it out for you... Cut and paste mo yung program dito, print it out, and have your trainer design your program based on the basic primer... these guys have been generous enough to share the knowledge, its up to us on how to use it or use it at all...

tell your trainer to do that program as an experiment... he might even learn a thing or two...and baka ikaw rin... malay mo lumaki nga katawan mo...

not unles your one of those weekend gym types who know nothing else but whine and complain and whine about how hard it is... pre no pain no pain... heheheheheheh... Kung wala kang balak makinig or gawin yung mga nasabi sayo nun pa, stop complaining... otherwise, diskartehan mo na at gawin mo na yung mga nakalagay dito...

baka naman kasi sobrang nahihirapan ka, in which case at least test of manhood yan... are you man enough to take on the pain? are you man enough to want the change so bad that you are willing to sacrifice blood, sweat and guts to achieve yer goals? dude, the choice is yours...

question lang EG and Oly,

i've been doing the 5x5 for 4 weeks now. what can i do to modify it a little so it can have more emphasis on the delts? i feel like i have lagging delts. what i did is to add an extra set for the military press. instead of doing 4 sets, i made it 5 sets. is this ok? what other suggestions can you give?

thanks.

You need to specialize in Military press and de-emphasize bench press. This is outlined in the 5x5 primer and also the jump training primer in the same forum. I train all of my pro athletes specializing in the Military press twice per week.

Honestly, I hate the bench press. It causes too many rotator cuff and/or tendon problems over time. Even though it's technically my strongest lift raw (325lbs) at 185lbs, I still hate bench. Standing military press is much better a far more functional (and it makes you look more 3-D).

Are you currently off-season ( focusing on getting bigger and stronger) or pre/in season where you're preparing for a tournament?

Not really competing for this year probably by next year if I am really ready in any amateur tourneys here in Manila! Just wanted to be fit and in good condition. I do not drink those pills like the creatine (Crea Cuts) which makes me sick - I guess that is the side effect of performance enhancing supplements when I tried those a few years ago. :boo: :angry:

I am off a slack for the past few months due to work in the office. I've been practicing a little bit but the demand of works is very high leaving me on a deskjob with papers to work on medical check ups of military personnel rotating to Iraq.

I've already quit the U.S. military service after 5 years last September. By Next semester, I am going back to college here in Quezon City to finish my degree. I do not know if I can manage to haggle the demands of schools plus workout. Tinatamad na ako pag-ganoon. :blink:

Not really competing for this year probably by next year if I am really ready in any amateur tourneys here in Manila! Just wanted to be fit and in good condition. I do not drink those pills like the creatine (Crea Cuts) which makes me sick - I guess that is the side effect of performance enhancing supplements when I tried those a few years ago. :boo: :angry:

I am off a slack for the past few months due to work in the office. I've been practicing a little bit but the demand of works is very high leaving me on a deskjob with papers to work on medical check ups of military personnel rotating to Iraq.

I've already quit the U.S. military service after 5 years last September. By Next semester, I am going back to college here in Quezon City to finish my degree. I do not know if I can manage to haggle the demands of schools plus workout. Tinatamad na ako pag-ganoon. :blink:

You can try out the 5x5. Just click on EG's link. When in competition training, EDt type workouts would be handy

Model body? Do you guys mean body of a cat walk male model? You don't have to do much I guess. Just keep the fat of your body and exercise reqularly. I think the most important thing for a male model is to keep the V-shape of the body - trim waist and broad shoulders. To achieve this, try swimming regularly. I've done this several times and it always works. I mean, whenever I get fat (because of eating a lot and inactivity), I swim regularly and the fat comes off. Plus, my back muscles become more defined, my shoulders become broader, my arms more defined and my abs get more definition. The nicest part is my legs and thighs, which are often neglected by gym people, get exercised too. Thus, I avoid the Johnny Bravo/chicken legs look.

Model body? Do you guys mean body of a cat walk male model? You don't have to do much I guess. Just keep the fat of your body and exercise reqularly. I think the most important thing for a male model is to keep the V-shape of the body - trim waist and broad shoulders. To achieve this, try swimming regularly. I've done this several times and it always works. I mean, whenever I get fat (because of eating a lot and inactivity), I swim regularly and the fat comes off. Plus, my back muscles become more defined, my shoulders become broader, my arms more defined and my abs get more definition. The nicest part is my legs and thighs, which are often neglected by gym people, get exercised too. Thus, I avoid the Johnny Bravo/chicken legs look.

The ironic thing about this post is that most competitive swimmers spend just as much time in the weight room as they do in the pool. This obviously isn't seen as much here in the Philippines since most swimmers I've met are still in the Stone Age with respect to their competitive preparation. A couple of prominant former local swimmers and their coaches are working with me for change and modernization of the swimming programs. In a few years we might finally see balance in training and thus the Philippines might have a chance in competitions beyond the Seagames.

Take home message....you need to do other forms of strength training to improve your performance in the pool.

correct! my alma mater's swim team (SBC Mendiola) can attest that swimmers also need other forms of strength training like lifting weights, etc. nobody can complain about their program since last time i checked they have been the ncaa swimming champion for 5 consecutive years. hehehe!

Edited by crazykalbo

SIR EG,OLYMPUS,,,can you give me an advise or make me a program workout for weight loss....if your time permits....weigh 320lbs before @#$that big... with some aerobic exercises (kickboxing)..and diet...280 is my weight now...plan to enroll in a gym already ...but I've heard many downside of some of the instructor like they want me to try steroids because my weight will not be or will never reach my ideal weight because of my size......please give me an advise where and hot to start....

SIR EG,OLYMPUS,,,can you give me an advise or make me a program workout for weight loss....if your time permits....weigh 320lbs before @#$that big... with some aerobic exercises (kickboxing)..and diet...280 is my weight now...plan to enroll in a gym already ...but I've heard many downside of some of the instructor like they want me to try steroids because my weight will not be or will never reach my ideal weight because of my size......please give me an advise where and hot to start....

I replied to your PM already. Why don't you just do yourself a big favor and show up at our gym? you know where to find us.

Sana di OT...

I don't think my genetics will allow me to get THE model body. What I really need to is find a way to lose that last bit of flab all over and gain just a bit more definition... using just a pair of dumbbells. Yes, I know it's far from ideal but realistically this is what I can consistently do right now.

Day A, 3 circuits:

push-ups

bent over row

Arnold press

bent over lat raise

concentration curl/triceps overhead extension superset

then crunch/side crunch, 3 sets...

Day B is:

3 sets, dumbbells in each hand by the side, thighs parallel to floor squat to Jump, 8 reps

then superset squat/deadlift (the dumbbells are not that heavy) superset x 3

then calf-raise/shoulder shrugs superset x 3 (weird combo I know)

then crunches

Yeah, weird and piecemeal and possibly not really that workable... so can anyone help me out? THanks...

Sana di OT...

I don't think my genetics will allow me to get THE model body. What I really need to is find a way to lose that last bit of flab all over and gain just a bit more definition... using just a pair of dumbbells. Yes, I know it's far from ideal but realistically this is what I can consistently do right now.

Day A, 3 circuits:

push-ups

bent over row

Arnold press

bent over lat raise

concentration curl/triceps overhead extension superset

then crunch/side crunch, 3 sets...

Day B is:

3 sets, dumbbells in each hand by the side, thighs parallel to floor squat to Jump, 8 reps

then superset squat/deadlift (the dumbbells are not that heavy) superset x 3

then calf-raise/shoulder shrugs superset x 3 (weird combo I know)

then crunches

Yeah, weird and piecemeal and possibly not really that workable... so can anyone help me out? THanks...

I believe that with proper training, you can get the model look. Get on a better routine, that routine is crap. Whoever, taught you that deserves to be shot.

http://www.eclipsegym.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57 read here to get started.

The ironic thing about this post is that most competitive swimmers spend just as much time in the weight room as they do in the pool. This obviously isn't seen as much here in the Philippines since most swimmers I've met are still in the Stone Age with respect to their competitive preparation. A couple of prominant former local swimmers and their coaches are working with me for change and modernization of the swimming programs. In a few years we might finally see balance in training and thus the Philippines might have a chance in competitions beyond the Seagames.

Take home message....you need to do other forms of strength training to improve your performance in the pool.

You may be right but the point of this thread is not to improve one's performance in any field of sports but to look good, thus the topic of this thread - How to have a model body.