Build A Model Body!

hehehehe... finished day two today... theres nothing wrong with taking a two day break right? had an affair last night, could not do day two...

Dude... the military press is a killer... seriously... all the others im coping quite well but the military press hurts so much i wanna slap somebody around with a 50 pound plate everytime after my sets... dang.......

hehehehe... finished day two today... theres nothing wrong with taking a two day break right? had an affair last night, could not do day two...

Dude... the military press is a killer... seriously... all the others im coping quite well but the military press hurts so much i wanna slap somebody around with a 50 pound plate everytime after my sets... dang.......

you can do a push press to prevent any strain on the lower back.

I know it hurts since my abs are toast after a set of military presses

I have a question regarding deadlift. Do I have to momentarily rest the barbell to the floor after each rep. This is what I see specially when the plates used are 45 or 50lbs on each side. However, there were few times I saw others doing deadlift using smaller plates (20 or 25lbs) and they just stack many of it instead of using the bigger plates. They don't rest the barbell on the floor after each rep.

To rest or not to rest?

dude, these are powerlifting moves... is this really advisable?

Have you ever seen a competitive weightlifter or a powerlifter (who can standing military press 225lbs) who didn't have ENORMOUS shoulders? I didn't think so :D

Remember that most muscle growth or stimulus takes place on the negative/eccentric portion.

I don't like how he says to exhale at the top, however. That is dangerous. You should hold your breath throughout the rep.

Remember that what we are teaching is what gave Arnold, Franco, and Lou Ferrigno their monster shoulders in the years before rampant HGH use. In the movie Pumping Iron, Lou Ferrigno does 5 reps with 225lbs in a push press style.

I have a question regarding deadlift. Do I have to momentarily rest the barbell to the floor after each rep. This is what I see specially when the plates used are 45 or 50lbs on each side. However, there were few times I saw others doing deadlift using smaller plates (20 or 25lbs) and they just stack many of it instead of using the bigger plates. They don't rest the barbell on the floor after each rep.

To rest or not to rest?

The weight should touch the floor during each rep to dissipate a shearing force that would occur in your spinal column if you suddenly reversed direction in mid-ar. I think you've felt what I'm talking about.

There are two schools of thought with respect to "Dead" deadlifts where you'll pause at the floor for a second between reps, and a "touch and go" training style. Each have their uses with repspect to increasing strength, but as a beginner, you should focus on allowing a second between reps. Touch-and-go reps require skill and if you do them too soon, you might risk injury.

woah... saw the rates man... i dont think the rates are student-friendly... i dont even have a job yet...

but i'll still look into it though... anyway thanks for the advice man! :cool:

hope i could still query on this board even if im not a member or ur gym...

Your solution is as follows: Stop wasting your money on supplements. Supplements are for guys who don't know how to train properly. If you are taking elemental magnesium and multivitamins, those are the only supplements you need.

Take your savings and invest in a good gym. As Olympus said, we have super-off peak rates that are ideal for students. We have higher-end equipment then Golds and Fitness First (and they know this is true), and we are FAR cheaper...since our focus is on students and teaching them how to train properly while they are young. This is how you create a member for life :)

Remember that most muscle growth or stimulus takes place on the negative/eccentric portion.

Is this theory still valid? Diba dati pa napatunayan na ndi totoo to? I remember reading a clinical research made by Johns Hopkins University that has invalidated this.

This went out the door along side the myth that heavy weights built mass, and definitions were made by lighter / dumbell exercises. Dorian Yates proved this to be totally false, and that was a decade ago.

I don't like how he says to exhale at the top, however. That is dangerous. You should hold your breath throughout the rep.

Remember that what we are teaching is what gave Arnold, Franco, and Lou Ferrigno their monster shoulders in the years before rampant HGH use. In the movie Pumping Iron, Lou Ferrigno does 5 reps with 225lbs in a push press style.

Same goes with this one. It is never advisable to hold your breathe throughout a rep as it can cause lightheadedness and possible aneurism in severe cases, specially in heavy sets. You are also in danger of getting a hernia or tears in your abdominal wall.

Your solution is as follows: Stop wasting your money on supplements. Supplements are for guys who don't know how to train properly. If you are taking elemental magnesium and multivitamins, those are the only supplements you need.

Take your savings and invest in a good gym. As Olympus said, we have super-off peak rates that are ideal for students. We have higher-end equipment then Golds and Fitness First (and they know this is true), and we are FAR cheaper...since our focus is on students and teaching them how to train properly while they are young. This is how you create a member for life :)

Wow! Such a sweeping statement. Don't you know that all professional athletes take supplements? The correct statement would have been to say that supplements does not guarantee results. As the word itself describes, "supplements" should be used in conjuction with a good workout program, and a balanced diet.

I dont have a problem with people who say that you can achieve results without supplements, but to say supplements are practically worthless... thats a different story.

Is this theory still valid? Diba dati pa napatunayan na ndi totoo to? I remember reading a clinical research made by Johns Hopkins University that has invalidated this.

This went out the door along side the myth that heavy weights built mass, and definitions were made by lighter / dumbell exercises. Dorian Yates proved this to be totally false, and that was a decade ago.

Same goes with this one. It is never advisable to hold your breathe throughout a rep as it can cause lightheadedness and possible aneurism in severe cases, specially in heavy sets. You are also in danger of getting a hernia or tears in your abdominal wall.

Numerous studies have shown that the eccentric portion of the lift builds the most amount of strength as opposed to the concentric and isometric portion.

In fact, this study was also used by Nautilus as their RTB with the adjustable cam on thier machines

You forget that Dorian yates at that time was a drug-induced individual. Tho your statement about high reps being for definition is amyth, I agree with

Hernia aka luslos was always due tohaving a weak core, never for holding your breath. In fact, you want to keep your core tight on heavy movements.

Wow! Such a sweeping statement. Don't you know that all professional athletes take supplements? The correct statement would have been to say that supplements does not guarantee results. As the word itself describes, "supplements" should be used in conjuction with a good workout program, and a balanced diet.

I dont have a problem with people who say that you can achieve results without supplements, but to say supplements are practically worthless... thats a different story.

let me correct this statement. Supplements are to accelerat the progress one is alrady getting with a proper training and eating plan. if your eating plan and training plan is crap, ading supplements wn't give you results

The reason why pro athletes are taking supplements is because they need the extra aid to help them perform at their top game. These guys are often following a sound eating ang training plan.

There are supplements that are worth buying, but then you have to remember the general public here thinks that supplements are then end all and be all to make gains, which is far from the truth.

Walk into any commercial gym and chances are you'll see a truckload of skinny guys and homer simpson-esque guys take a ton of suplements and get ZERO RESULTS!! Its because they aren't training and eating right

nice points screwtape...

1.) I am a firm believer in supplements... But i do agree with Olympus that supplements are used to "supplement" your other needs that cannot be addressed by normal eating and IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT for a good diet and a good work out plan... Only use supplements if you're already maxing yourself out and need more.. In which case VERY FEW PEOPLE HERE know how this feels like... even me, I'm still not totally convinced if i really do need supplements or not...

2.) Dorian Yates although is a very accomplished individual, cannot set the par for us mere mortals... He's a steroid user... Physiological laws change when you're on that kind of juice especially on that size and level so whatever he says cannot apply to us...

3.) regarding the breathing part, I believe in the exhaling... I have a big phobia on hernia and aneurysm so i do exhale and tend not to put too much pressure on my brain...

Great discussion guys...

Regarding the military press, will try the push up press... looks like fun...

Question, is it okay for me to do tabata variations after my workout? Im getting concerned with my weight... can't help it... hehehehehehehehe

Dorian Yates was famous for his HIT training, meaning brutal weights in one total set of forced reps, stripping weight, and negatives. Guys who get big with light weights use Growth Hormone.

Your advice will get someone injured since IAP (through Valsalva/holding your breath) is what protects the spine. LOL...a hernia? Tears? Who taught you this crap?

EVERYONE!

Read this: http://www.humankinetics.com/products/show...excerpt_id=3001

This goes for all lifts. If you do not hold your breath, YOU WILL GET HURT SOONER OR LATER.

When you hold your breath during heavy lifts, your abs are forced to contract powerfully. This contraction allows your abs and spinal erectors to PROTECT YOUR LOWER BACK!!! Again, it's known as IAP or Valsalva.

This is common knowledge in competition athletics and human performance labs at the NCAA and Pro level.

A beginner doesn't need supplements other than a multivitamin/mineral and magnesium. The problem is that most newbie lifters spend all of their money on supplements and neglect their training.

And uh....eccentrics are where most strength is built. Study upon study has shown that negatives and isometric contractions build twice as much strength as the positive.

but dude, the guy in the narration is using a belt..

This is for maximal lifts. There's nothing wrong with wearing a belt, but you shouldn't be dependent on it. I've been doing squats and deadlifts for 16 years and I've worn a belt maybe .001% of the time. Olympus and I routinely squat in the high 200's and low 300's without a belt. Others who train with us go over 400 for reps on a routine basis without a belt.

Even in the Human Kinetics discussion, breathing is listed as #8 as something of importance and a common mistake. Wearing a belt is not.

You forget that Dorian yates at that time was a drug-induced individual. Tho your statement about high reps being for definition is amyth, I agree with

Hernia aka luslos was always due tohaving a weak core, never for holding your breath. In fact, you want to keep your core tight on heavy movements.

Sir, totoo ba na cause talaga ng hernia ang weak core? Before kasi nang nag pa-PT ako sabi sa akin pag nag abs exercise daw ako dapat tama hinga ko kasi baka ma-luslus daw ako.

Pag weak ba abs ko prone ba ako sa lowerback pain?

Thanks!

i think luslos is due to a weak core... anatomically, this does explain it diba... inguinal hernia is caused by a tear in the inguinal wall thus causing part of your intestines to drop into your scrotum or apply pressure there... if your core is strong, this would not happen...