Masteral - Any Plans?

• 3 weeks later...

i graduated from AIM a few years back..it was still called MBM, i think they now renamed it mba....before taking up mba, i suggest its best to understand the real reason behind it...is it for career advancement, switchning industries, for reputation (maybe you have a lousy college degree from a lousy school), or simply the love of learning....

i say this because when choosing the school, that should only be your reason and nothing else....because in reality, the best mba schools might not actually open doors for you to switch careers or give you a instant promotion the moment you graduate....

i, for one chose AIM because of career advancement...and i must say it really did...opened many doors for me and currently i am very happy at where i am at....but pls remember, it opens the door but you have to work it to keep it open and swinging (being pirated to other firms with better pay, of course)...the more your school is known they expect more, becasue they pay you more....and in turn, you get stressed out more...get the drift....

so think wisely before you decide which school because if not, you could be wasting your hard-earned money and definitely your precious time....

if i had money i would have applied to the ivy leagues, because i knew what i wanted from the begining and i also knew the sacrifices it required....

dont just jump on the bandwagon, think, think and think once more, before you decide which school....

to cut this short, for mba in manila, AIM (for career advancement for local and asean region only), but for education others such as la salle and ateneo will suffice....

Edited by camus
  • 3 weeks later...

Initially, wala akong plans to take up a Masteral degree. I was happy with my job and enjoyed what I was doing at work. Then, all my collegemates barkada started enrolling in graduate school for an MBA. Para mabuo lang ang college barkada, I enrolled with them. We were eight guys who enrolled and only I finished with that coveted MBA degree.

Moral of the story? Sometimes your barkada knows whats good for you! I was a non-business major in my undergrad working in a sales job when I took my MBA and the course opened my mind to the world of business, did a lot to my perception, taught me to think strategically, landed me expat perks & postings and made life, well lets just say so much more worth living.

has anybody tried getting a Master's degree online? anyone heard of the UP Open University?

need feedback please :)

I did. I have a Master's degree in Computer Science from American College of Computer & Information Sciences' Online Program.

I forgot how much I payed. It took me 1.5 Years to finish the course. It's not as tiring and intimidating compared to going to a real University.

Edited by abiakak

Well, if you work as a professor/instructor in a learning institution, advanced study (masteral/doctoroal) is a must. It is good to enroll in known universities like DLSU and UST or those who have at least Level II and above accreditation status given by accreditating agencies (PACUCOA, AACCUP, etc.)

Edited by xie
has anybody tried getting a Master's degree online? anyone heard of the UP Open University?

need feedback please :)

online degrees are okay. you should diligently study though. just because it's online does not mean you could dilly-dally with the course work. i had case studies, weekly assignments, thesis and plenty of reading.

online degrees are okay. you should diligently study though. just because it's online does not mean you could dilly-dally with the course work. i had case studies, weekly assignments, thesis and plenty of reading.

where did you take the online course? was it expensive?

Initially, wala akong plans to take up a Masteral degree. I was happy with my job and enjoyed what I was doing at work. Then, all my collegemates barkada started enrolling in graduate school for an MBA. Para mabuo lang ang college barkada, I enrolled with them. We were eight guys who enrolled and only I finished with that coveted MBA degree.

Moral of the story? Sometimes your barkada knows whats good for you! I was a non-business major in my undergrad working in a sales job when I took my MBA and the course opened my mind to the world of business, did a lot to my perception, taught me to think strategically, landed me expat perks & postings and made life, well lets just say so much more worth living.

Whre did you took up your MBA? Which is better? MBA w/ thesis or without thesis?

I saw some programs stating that MBA w/ thesis have about 36 units and some MBA w/out thesis have 60 units. Which is better?

will enrol in my second MA next school year or next semester if the University will allow.. Campus-based. This school is more related with the nature of my project at the moment. Still need to finish my thesis for the other MA. sana naman i-allows na nila ang non-thesis program.

Having an MA is having a certain edge in case you are getting relatively the same like the others..

I saw some programs stating that MBA w/ thesis have about 36 units and some MBA w/out thesis have 60 units. Which is better?

The better is MBA with thesis. Non-thesis masteral degree courses are now being phase out because of the proliferation of colleges/universities known as "diploma mills." Having a thesis for masteral degree is a proof of hardworks and contribution to the present knowledge of a certain field of specialization.

Whre did you took up your MBA? Which is better? MBA w/ thesis or without thesis?

Took my MBA at AGSB (Ateneo Grad Sch of Bus). IMO a thesis program is better, it presents more challenge. A lot of my batchmates completed and passed the academics (units) but couldn't graduate because of non completion of the thesis, thus the notation MBA (cand) short for MBA candidate on their resume.