Masteral - Any Plans?

• 1 month later...

I have plans to pursue graduate studies abroad because there are no schools here offering a decent master's program in my field of study. It is not that important to my current job, but I am planning to join an international firm. These international firms require a graduate degree for graduates of foreign universities.

• 1 month later...

guys, take mba at ateneo...am currently on my second year and hopefully i can have my diploma by first quarter of 2009....am telling you , its not that hard specially if youre already exposed to the corporate world...just that you need to adapt to overnight case studies and lots of financial cases which are the basis of grading...good thing though is that...its always a group participation...so la masyado pressure.....I was recently pirated by a multinational company to an AVP position after seeing MBA degre on my CV...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm taking my first semester here in Orange COunty, LA sa MBA course ko. Actually sa wednesday na ang first day ko.

Kinakabahan ako, of course kasi madaming reasons: nasa foreign country ako, hindi english ang first language ko, at culture shock pa. kalaban din ang homesick. sana matapos ko course ko para makakita ako ng work na worth ang pay. hehe!

good for you pink tulip,you have the luxury taking mba abroad and in the states pa...Im having mine completed this year at ateneo..well honestly, mba helps a lot in terms of career growth..i remember when i got pirated by real state firm from a multinaltional company...my compensation doubled and fringe benefit soars upon learning that I am soon to finish mba at ateneo...btw, even foreigners opted to study here due to prestige, quality of teaching and for economical reasons na rin :)..

Taking MBA, well you cant go wrong with ADMU, DLSU, UAP (dont know if they offer) and UP. thumbs up!!!

I have completed my academic requirements since 2002 but haven't been bestowed the degree because I haven't passed and defended my thesis. Due to circumstances, I have to redo my academic requirements and comprehensive exams since it's a rule of thumb to refresh oneself after 5 years of dormancy in the program, which obviously is already lapsed. Now, I am wondering if I will talk to my dean to reconsider my case or move to a new school to do it all over again. >_<

good for you pink tulip,you have the luxury taking mba abroad and in the states pa...Im having mine completed this year at ateneo..well honestly, mba helps a lot in terms of career growth..i remember when i got pirated by real state firm from a multinaltional company...my compensation doubled and fringe benefit soars upon learning that I am soon to finish mba at ateneo...btw, even foreigners opted to study here due to prestige, quality of teaching and for economical reasons na rin :)..

Taking MBA, well you cant go wrong with ADMU, DLSU, UAP (dont know if they offer) and UP. thumbs up!!!

oh good! im overwhelmed with the terminologies sa subject ko na microeconomics. actually ayoko na mag aral eh. napasubo lang. gusto ko na umuwi ng Pilipinas. pwede ba kita tanungin pag meron akong di maintindihan? hehe! sobrang layo kasi ng bachelor degree ko now sa mba eh :(

dami pa assignment. nalulula ako sa mga dapat kong pag-aralan. :(

Yeah that means your in the mba environment already..compared to our college years, graduate studies is a totally different field, gone are the usual cramming during exam day only...in mba, every meeting is an exam day as we have to defend our cases through report...and most of the time the interaction is competitive due to different strategies applied by other fields...if you're talking bout micro and macro econ (which I took last year), you're exposed perhaps to all kinds of costing direct, variable cost, overhead, revenue cost etc then perhaps gdp, inlfation and the like..hhuuuhh wat a term but its pretty exciting as you go along...at the end of the day you'll be surprised...ah ganun lang pala yun... :thumbsupsmiley: shoot me a pm and maybe i can be of help. regards.

oh good! im overwhelmed with the terminologies sa subject ko na microeconomics. actually ayoko na mag aral eh. napasubo lang. gusto ko na umuwi ng Pilipinas. pwede ba kita tanungin pag meron akong di maintindihan? hehe! sobrang layo kasi ng bachelor degree ko now sa mba eh :(

dami pa assignment. nalulula ako sa mga dapat kong pag-aralan. :(

Yeah that means your in the mba environment already..compared to our college years, graduate studies is a totally different field, gone are the usual cramming during exam day only...in mba, every meeting is an exam day as we have to defend our cases through report...and most of the time the interaction is competitive due to different strategies applied by other fields...if you're talking bout micro and macro econ (which I took last year), you're exposed perhaps to all kinds of costing direct, variable cost, overhead, revenue cost etc then perhaps gdp, inlfation and the like..hhuuuhh wat a term but its pretty exciting as you go along...at the end of the day you'll be surprised...ah ganun lang pala yun... :thumbsupsmiley: shoot me a pm and maybe i can be of help. regards.

thank you so much! nag-send na ako ng pm. hehe! add kita sa list ko ha? ingat! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a case in point on the relevance of MBAs today...........from the blog of Jo Owens, a management consultant...

As the financial crisis finger-pointing continues, eyes are turning to the business schools. What part did they play in the meltdown? And is now the time to re-think their own assumptions? As Simon Caulkin observes, it’s not just the economics-dominated MBA that’s now seen as unsustainable.

Business schools have become sausage machines — they all preach the same orthodoxies. Years later, greed and groupthink has come back to haunt us.

This is the first global crisis to have been created at leading business schools. Several of the meltdown’s major players, from Merrill Lynch’s Stan O’Neill to Hank Paulson to Andy Hornby of HBOS, are Harvard graduates. Dick Fuld, who ran Lehman Brothers, went to Columbia Business School (perhaps that’s why his bank wasn’t bailed out).

The bankers were advised by the brightest brains at McKinsey and other consulting companies, which are more or less outplacement firms for newly minted MBAs. The brilliant insight of these great brains led all the banks to the same failed strategies which is costing the world a few trillion dollars.

Contrast this with some of the richest entrepreneurs in the world — Mittal, Branson, Abramovich, Gates and Buffet are all MBA-free.

If you’re aiming to be an entrepreneur, an MBA cannot teach you any of the important lessons of success: leadership, the art of the hustle, personal bravery, resilience and risk taking. They cannot teach creativity, daring, inspiration and real insight. They can teach none of the things that matter to a successful entrepreneur.

Doubtless business schools are now writing case studies about the crisis in order to show how regulation failed, individual banks made poor choices and how economic conditions failed everyone. They’d do better to write a case study on how to avoid creating a generation of corporate clones who are imprisoned by greed and orthodox thinking.