Masteral - Any Plans?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all!

I'm thinking of getting my MBA degree. I'm currently a registered nurse who is having a hard time getting a job but I have a mini-business of buy and sell (gadgets and vehicles). Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge about the MBA programs from different schools? Which would you recommend? I am considering my financial limitation so don't recommend AIM and the likes. :lol:

PS

Will this be a good decision for me? Share me your thoughts.

Thanks!

Good Morning, elijahpaul. I'm presently taking my MBA right now at UP Diliman. So medyo biased ako to say na dun ka na lang mag-apply. Till January 28, 2011 pa ang application.

Pero, I'll present to you what I've heard/know of the following three business schools in the country:

• UP College of Business Administration MBA Program - one of the top programs in the country (or so were told). It's also the cheapest in terms of tuition, since it is a state university. This program has been said to be heavily quantitative, meaning it focuses on analysis of the numbers crunched by your subordinates (they assume that the MBA students will become, or are already, managers in their professions).
  • Ateneo Graduate School of Business School MBA Program - I've heard that the Ateneo program leans more on the qualitative side, meaning the professors share their experiences and knowledge of being managers themselves. You'll need to do some more research on this, unfortunately.
  • Asian Institute of Management MBA Program - with its international ties, the AIM program is indeed one of the best in the country. Of course, it is also the most expensive.

Bahala ka nang humusga at pumili. They all have websites for you to see which one you think would offer you the best education. Good luck sa iyong future endeavor.

P.S.

An MBA degree is always a good investment. An MBA degree put you ahead of your peers for that career advancement. But most importantly, marami kang matututunan na pwede mong gamitin, beyond those that you can use in your profession.

Edited by Darien Faust
  • 3 weeks later...

Im a researcher in plant genetics and molecular biology. In this kind of career, going to grad school and finishing PhD (or at least a Masters, but get a PhD instead) is a must if you dream of conducting your own research someday. I finished my MS degree in the US two years ago. Im going back there to start my PhD program next month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

I'm thinking of getting my MBA degree. I'm currently a registered nurse who is having a hard time getting a job but I have a mini-business of buy and sell (gadgets and vehicles). Anyway, does anyone have any knowledge about the MBA programs from different schools? Which would you recommend? I am considering my financial limitation so don't recommend AIM and the likes. :lol:

PS

Thanks!

Bro, let's get some things straight first.

1. You're a registered nurse. Isn't it more practical to get a MBA degree which is most leaning toward your college degree? Correct me if I'm wrong but Ms erika123 and Mr Darien Faust were most probably referring to post-graduate degrees related to business like Bus Admi and Bus Mgmt. If ever you pushed through, I am not so sure as to how would you cope up with the MBA courses. Your profs will be assuming that you already had the basics in college so you should have at least some sort of idea what the course is all about. I do not think that your nursing college course has financial statement analysis, business calculus and statistics, and other business subjects.

2. You mentioned that you're in a business already. If you're planning to be an entrepreneur, you might just need some business seminars like "Accounting for Non-accountants" and other similar topics. You might want to consider this option. IMHO, those who get MBA's are mostly academicians or corporate people who have a "ladder" to climb. If you do decide to enter the corporate rat race, having a MBA under your belt is a sure advantage on paper.

3. Aside from financial considerations, you must also consider time availability. Studying while working is no easy task. Doing research takes a lot of time and making written reports mostly take the nights away. Internet is a great help but not everything you need is served on a platter. Legworks during research are also not avoidable.

4. Lastly, if you start and do not finish, then everything just will go to waste. Like my lola said, "Do not start what you cannot finish.". No need to expound on this matter.

Think about it and consider all options before making the leap!

PS. I got my MBA from neither of the three institutions mentioned earlier. Still , it was not a walk in the park. ;)

Before applying, please assess first what do you want to do. Then you look for the program that will match what you want to happen.

Each school has it's strengths and weaknesses, and applicability. You'll have to look for the right one to suit your end goal. Saying "MBA" is just like saying "College" after high school. You didn't take a tourism course to earn your nursing degree, so in the same manner you shouldn't take just any "MBA" program.

Most MBA programs are geared towards corporate structures. But there are others designed for entrepreneurship, education and medicine (Ateneo GSB offers an MBA in Health program for MDs who manage hospitals) . There are also masteral courses (MA's) for certain disciplines (engineering, architecture, basic sciences such as chemistry, physics, biology, etc). You'll have to know first what you want to do, then you choose.

Edited by floppydrive
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Masters in Management - University of the Philippines. I tried the GPAT exam and I didn't pass. There were 44 of us and only 15 to 20 students are accepted. Too bad I failed. Wait for next trimester in UP again or move to Ateneo GSB.

Besides UP's tuition is PhP 2,500 per unit meaning if you are enrolled with a 9 units then it will PhP 22,500.00 for the next 5 months.

Edited by D. Sanchez

Hi all!

PS

Thanks!

Try Masters in Management at UP it is more well rounded for non-business graduates like you. Better ask the Registrar at UP Manila - College of Arts and Science which has health related units as well.

• 1 month later...

Wondering if there are any accredited universities offering an on-line/off-site master's program for those with time constraints.

The top 3 (AdMU, UP and DLSU) are conducting online classes but not full online masters program. Even UP-Open Univ requires you to go to the campus during the 1st and last weeks

hi guys, im planning to take a Msteral Degree.. pero i'm quite confused kung ano pipiliin ko..

I'm a BS MATH major in ACTUARIAL SCIENCE degree holder and I can't choose between these 3 degrees..

MBA (ADMU,DLSU)

MAster's in computational finance (DLSU)

Master's in Information echnology (ADMU,DLSU)

can somebody help me pls? what's the best among the 3? career wise...

I would pick full-time MBA program from either AdMU or DLSU whatever is closer to you

Masters in Management - University of the Philippines. I tried the GPAT exam and I didn't pass. There were 44 of us and only 15 to 20 students are accepted. Too bad I failed. Wait for next trimester in UP again or move to Ateneo GSB.

Besides UP's tuition is PhP 2,500 per unit meaning if you are enrolled with a 9 units then it will PhP 22,500.00 for the next 5 months.

UP is usually lenient to its alumnae/alumni and to AdMU college graduates for its MBA courses. You just have to undergo summer remedial if your GWA is below 85

Currently Enrolled for my Master's in IT, pero sa totoo lang, i dont really know kung my patutunguhan to, what i mean is, yeah, kaya ko matapos to, no problem. But the thing is, halos wala akong industry background kasi we have a family business, so parang hindi rin sya magagamit.

Tanong ko lang po, advantage ba ito pag mag aaply ako ng trabaho sa IT industry dito sa metro? And 2nd question, pwede bang mas mataas agad na position ang makuha ko, kahit na above rank-and-file lang.