Masteral - Any Plans?

regarding the query on the UP Open University, and the general query on masteral plans...

1. The UP Open University does not offer much choice on courses. But just the same, it's UP, so it must be good.

2. Ateneo (Rockwell-Makati) and LaSalle (RCBC Plaza -Makati) offer good alternatives. They provide masteral programs in business.

3. Try earning your masteral degree abroad. Consult local firms that can help you apply at a school outside of the Philippines. Some schools require that you first take the TOEFL. Taking the TOEFL will immediately cost you around P7,500.00.

4. Or you can try further studies (study law or medicine).

5. You can also try earning a SECOND UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE. (This, I think is a better option.) For instance, if your first undergrad course is accounting, which you didn't really like, you can enrol in another undergrad degree, this time under a course program that you like.

:rolleyes:

regarding the query on the UP Open University, and the general query on masteral plans...

1. The UP Open University does not offer much choice on courses. But just the same, it's UP, so it must be good.

2. Ateneo (Rockwell-Makati) and LaSalle (RCBC Plaza -Makati) offer good alternatives. They provide masteral programs in business.

3. Try earning your masteral degree abroad. Consult local firms that can help you apply at a school outside of the Philippines. Some schools require that you first take the TOEFL. Taking the TOEFL will immediately cost you around P7,500.00.

4. Or you can try further studies (study law or medicine).

5. You can also try earning a SECOND UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE. (This, I think is a better option.) For instance, if your first undergrad course is accounting, which you didn't really like, you can enrol in another undergrad degree, this time under a course program that you like.

:rolleyes:

the UPOU offers MA in education, public admin, nursing, development comm, IT. there are PHD studies available for educ as well. the MBA program still has to be taken in the traditional classroom setting.

if i have the liberty of time and the money to burn, i'd get an MA abroad or finish my unfinished other undergrad degree.

Every College graduate in the Philippines is advised to take masters. College graduates in the Philippines is only comparable to undergrad in India. Masters grad in the Philippines is only comparable to College grads in India.

While that portion of your post may be relevant to you ... I dont think it should influence the decision of people to take masteral studies in any way. Im guessing India is a comparator country to you in terms of education because you are in the Engineering field... that might not be a good comparator country for someone who is in another field, say Management or Medicine and its allied professions.

I live and work in the US. Here in the US, my undergraduate degree from the UP and my masters degree from DLSU were both given full credit and equivalence.

The decision to take masteral studies should be made in terms of the person's career goals and the job market he or she competes in.

Every College graduate in the Philippines is advised to take masters. College graduates in the Philippines is only comparable to undergrad in India. Masters grad in the Philippines is only comparable to College grads in India.

I strongly disagree with your statement na college graduates in RP are comparable only to undergrad in India. This was too much of a sweeping statement.

Based on my experience here in the US, it's actually the other way around. As was the case with Wyld, I got full credit for all my courses at DLSU when I applied for a professional certification here. I can't say the same for my Indian friends who tried to go for the same certification. Sa India, 3 years lang ang college. Thus, when these friends of mine tried to apply for the same certification, they were required to go back to college to obtain additional college credits. On the average, they had to study for another year, year and a half to be eligible to apply for professional certification.

I am already the highest person in the area that I handle. And I have a pretty good working and personal relationship with the people i work for. In fact, I have been assured by the Chairman and sole stockholder that I do not have to prove anything to him or to anyone in the company and I have their full trust and confidence. Because of this, when I had to choose between my work and my MBA, the choice was obvious.... my current job does need an MBA degree.... yet.

I have a Master's degree in Computer Science from American College of Computer & Information Sciences' Online Program.

Though mine does not relate to Business Administration, I say, go with the thesis. This will greatly reflect your esence in your field. How you scope, prepare, document, and apply the necessary things for the project/problem at hand.

Whre did you took up your MBA? Which is better? MBA w/ thesis or without thesis?

I saw some programs stating that MBA w/ thesis have about 36 units and some MBA w/out thesis have 60 units. Which is better?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest freyja

i'm planning of taking MA in DevCom at UP Open U. Well, my primary reason is : I want to go back to school. Secondly, a masters degree is one of the things most companies look for in hiring/promoting managers.

• 2 weeks later...
i'm planning of taking MA in DevCom at UP Open U. Well, my primary reason is : I want to go back to school. Secondly, a masters degree is one of the things most companies look for in hiring/promoting managers.

Haha gotta get me an mba. No wonder they're not promoting in our company. :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the thing, i've been working for the family for over a year now. As most people working in family businesses can probably understand, it's a bit far from rewarding. Money's not the problem in this case, it's more the lack of personal growth and suffocation u feel from an over bearing patriarch.

I tried starting a business on my own but quickly realized the lack of skills i would need to build something truly worth while. One of my friends suggested getting an MBA in either AIM or UP. Lately i've been leaning towards going through with it. Just came from AIM yesterday and was duly impressed. Are there people here who've tried going for an mba? How has it affected your personal and professional lives? Aside from the substantial cost, it's also almost a 2 year stint of unemployment. Is it worth the hype?

Thanks in advance! testing starts in a few months so i have to decide soon before taking the plunge.

Here's the thing, i've been working for the family for over a year now. As most people working in family businesses can probably understand, it's a bit far from rewarding. Money's not the problem in this case, it's more the lack of personal growth and suffocation u feel from an over bearing patriarch.

I tried starting a business on my own but quickly realized the lack of skills i would need to build something truly worth while. One of my friends suggested getting an MBA in either AIM or UP. Lately i've been leaning towards going through with it. Just came from AIM yesterday and was duly impressed. Are there people here who've tried going for an mba? How has it affected your personal and professional lives? Aside from the substantial cost, it's also almost a 2 year stint of unemployment. Is it worth the hype?

Thanks in advance! testing starts in a few months so i have to decide soon before taking the plunge.

M in similar situation 5 years ago. I took MBA at UP and i think it have been very rewarding. Most of the things i learned from school, i applied it to the business. I think personal growth come from within yourself, even if you work for other company, you're not assured of personal growth. Personal growth comes from doing things, learning from every bits of things u done right or wrong. But i think u can grow faster if u chart yourself a direction.

and i don't think its 2 years of unemployment. you can still work for you're family business while studying MBA. Full time program at UP takes only 1.5 years. After taking MBA, i think you have more options open up for u. If things in you're family business won't work out, u can used ur degree to get u a job.

But i still think, since getting a MBA, you should do the society some favor and be an entrpreneur.=)

thanks jo, im gna go check out UP this weekend. I already confirmed with AIM, it's full time with them. Plus a minimum of 3mos requirement to stay in their dorm. after that u could live off campus. but the workloads supposed to be unbelievable so they advise u to live within the vicinity.

I talked to 2 UP mba grads and they did say it was also good. one of them (he's about 60, started his company after n is really doing well for himself) said he worked while studying, the other (25, just started work n is already on the fast track on one of our bigger local companies) said she couldn't work bec. she had to study in the mornings just to keep up. between the 2 im thinking it would still affect the type of work i could do wen i do start.

hey jo, are u a recent grad? how was it? did u still manage to go out or was it all work for u? how did it affect ur prof life after? what r u doing now? (compared to before u went in)

thanks jo, im gna go check out UP this weekend. I already confirmed with AIM, it's full time with them. Plus a minimum of 3mos requirement to stay in their dorm. after that u could live off campus. but the workloads supposed to be unbelievable so they advise u to live within the vicinity.

I talked to 2 UP mba grads and they did say it was also good. one of them (he's about 60, started his company after n is really doing well for himself) said he worked while studying, the other (25, just started work n is already on the fast track on one of our bigger local companies) said she couldn't work bec. she had to study in the mornings just to keep up. between the 2 im thinking it would still affect the type of work i could do wen i do start.

hey jo, are u a recent grad? how was it? did u still manage to go out or was it all work for u? how did it affect ur prof life after? what r u doing now? (compared to before u went in)

i graduated from UP 3 years ago. I think if u put work and study together, it would required some personal sacrifices. But i still think MBA would be more effective if u could internalize what u learn by applying it to your work.

I think with MBA program, its more about learning from you're batchmate more than from the curiculum or teacher. UP do a have a good selection of student from different fields. I myself, i think i learn much. It open my way of thinking to a wider spectrum. As an engineering graduate, i used to see all things by the number. But i think learning experience at MBA expose me to other area that would be needed to manage a successful business. Just like u, i feel lack of skills in running the business, very reason why i enrolled myself. But i think learning would still be a continuing process. MBA is a good start. It doesn't guarantee that you'll be a good manager right after.=) But i think you'll learn how to manage you're resources better after studying MBA.

Yes, i manage our family business while studying, but i think i did a better job after i graduated. Studying could further boost you're confidence because its easier to have sense of accomplishment in school than at work.

i can't say m very successful now, but i think m a work in progress. I still manage the family business, a mfg plant, chain of retail stores and recently m incubating an IT start up under the family business. I still struggle from time to time, but i know m becoming better by the day.

MBA could be fun depending on the company of friends u choose. I enjoy my time during mba. Well lots of case meeting over lunch and dinner. Sometimes, if ur so drain, we just fool around.=)

Going out i can't tell. M more of a home buddy. So i think its mostly work for me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Makaikishi
I'm planning to take M.A. related to media since i am a journalism graduate... but i'm still not decided on the particular area i'll be taking... Maybe some of you guys can help me... what should i take aside from journalism??? thanks

How about film-making?

Based from experience, make sure that when you enroll in a Masters course, the company that you work for will consider it and ensure that your career will progress.

I was working in a telecommunications company when I started my MBE. My function there was a business process analyst. My mistake then was I did not inquire from HR about the career path that I can possibly take given that I will have an MBE. Apparently, the company had no concrete career path for those who have Masters degrees.

Good thing for me, an opportunity came up while I was doing my thesis. I am now employed in a multinational company that has a good career path for those who have masters degree, plus a better compensation and benefits package.

I would suggest you to try out AIM. The training you get from the program is great. As for the workload, it's only heavy during the 1st year; but it can be done. Just buckle down and read, you can't go wrong. The finance there is amazing! If you hate numbers, you'll learn to like it. Hehehehe. Just remember one thing, do not try to over analyze. It's really more of common sense. It really does open doors for you. I would suggest that one would get more than the 2 year minimum required, because you can suddenly become under qualified and over qualified at the same time. Good luck if you pursue it and the WACs aren't really that hard. Oh yeah, when you enter; start looking for a topir for your MRR/thesis. The earlier you get it done the better.

• 4 months later...

A business guru once said what you get from an MBA are three things: knowledge, networks and a credential - in descending order of importance.

This valuable advice applies not only to an MBA but any post-grad program for that matter. One does not maximize the value of a post-grad program if one only pursues it for knowledge sake. Particularly in business and management careers, when all other things are equal, the quality and quantity of your networks can give you that cutting edge.

am on a forced hiatus right now from my post grad studies (MSN) because of a lousy work schedule. :( should've seen it coming. it's one of those things on my "bucket list" though, whether or not I finish it here or do it when I get to migrate abroad na. time is of the essence e.

Edited by BallBreaker

i dont know if this is the right thread but i have a question... :)

i do have a plan to go back to school but not masterals, i have a degree in management but i want to get a degree in pyschology.. ma crecredit kaya lahat ng minor units ko? and san ba may distance learning, aside from up? yung online lang sana, or kahit saturday classes lang. TIA!