Masteral - Any Plans?

i really wanted to take my M.A., most probably sa UP, iv finished Bachelor of Fine ARts,,well, advertising major ako pero na-attract ako sa history of arts so im planning to take History of Arts,then eventually tuloy na sa Ph.D.,i want to be a doctor sana bfore reaching my 30's

Taking my MA in Special Ed.

Higher studies are good not just for professional advancement but more for personal growth and gratification. Just pay close attention to the kind of education you're getting...

Also... Time management is of the essence, especially for those who are working.

All in all though, it's a positive experience. :thumbsupsmiley:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

before..i took up Masters in Measurement and Evaluation, because it was THE elite course and there was nothing better to do...

I managed to sit through all 36 units... but didn't bother submitting requirements in some... and just couldn't get Factorial Analysis (so am sure i flunked that one)

now... i'm really interested in taking up Non-Formal Education... but i haven't really found a univerity yet where it's given enough priority... that's also at least convenient for me in terms of time and logistics...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For those thinking of pursuing an MBA...

The quality of your education will depend not on your school and not on your professors. It will depend on the quality of your peers, i.e. your classmates and groupmates. Your professor is for the most part a facilitator. There are no lectures in an MBA class. An MBA is peer education. That's why most institutions require a certain amount of work experience before you can be accepted into their MBA programs. You teach what you've learned. They learn from you, you learn from them.

Some time ago, I asked a friend what the difference was between an undergraduate Psych degree and a graduate Psych degree (she has both, plus a master's degree in another field and PhD units). The latter, she said, was more about self-education. In other words, you took on greater responsibility for your education.

With an MBA, it's about learning from others, from their experiences.

If you decide to pursue an MBA and stick to it, you'll be drowned with group work. You'll need to be around people who know what they're talking about. You'll need to be around people who know how the world works. Unfortunately, you'll also be around people who'll say that the solution to a certain problem is to let the managers or president know about the problem ("Isumbong natin sa presidente!"). How idiotic can you get? But it happens.

With an MBA, it's really about your peers. There may come a point (hopefully not) where you feel that you're teaching more than learning...and paying for it. If such a time comes, it may be better to just leave and go elsewhere.

i totally agree with you sir

I see nothing wrong with graduate studies, and I suppose every additional lesson would help a person. But I run a project on a network of model schools around Southeast Asia, and I noticed that, among all the schools in the network, only those in the Philippines are headed by principals with doctorates; almost half of the teaching force have their masters or are taking graduate courses. At the same time, people generally think the Philippines performs poorly in the area of education (I am inclined to agree). So what would that imply about having principals and teachers with advanced degrees?

i'm taking up my MA degree in creative writing in de la salle... but my friends keep on bombarding me whith question on why i took up the course and why i chose la salle from state and santo tomas...

anyway... i think it's an advantage nowadays to have a post-graduate degree... especially if you have too much time on hand... instead of sloucing on the couch on a saturday morning... why not pick your butt up and hit the books at the library or listen to a professor who could teach you a thing or two...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...