Singapore Travel - Hidden Secrets

All all Mtc buddies, I am a local singaporean but have lived in Manila for the past 4 years. From my point of view, the best local food and cheapest is neither in Orchard, Tanglin...etc it is usually in the neighcourhood mall such as Tampines Mall, Northpoint, West Mall... all this are situated at the outskirt of Singapore...

Train ride from Orchard to any of this places are very very accessible. In Singapore, most of the neighbourhood malls are located right at the doorstep of MRT (Mass Rapid Transit), parang LRT and MRT in Manila. And the fare is around $2-$3 each ride.

As for chicken rice, try out Boon Tiong Kee at Balestier road or any other branch, best chicken rice in town. Local delicacy are located in the neighbourhood area too. Its call the coffee shop or hawker centre.

For those who needs more info on Singapore travel, you can drop me an email at mkluv2mi@yahoo.com.sg

Have fun

Thank you! No one knows the place best than the locals.

I've been to a number of Hooters outlets in the U.S. and Costa Rica. The waitresses here are, sad to say, below par. But the chicken wings really are good!!! The taste has been kinda consistent wherever I went.

puro pinay na nga hooters girls sa singapore but they won't talk to you in our native tongue, singapore accent na sila tapos mas type nila yung mga caucasian na customers

i stayed in singapore for 2 months rin... leme say that the girls in HOOTERS... well.. haha... anyways i stayed in sunglade condo in serangoon.

Boon Tiong Kee at Balestier <-- the best yan

i also tried some hongkong style chicken noodles somewhere in clarke quay, i forgot lng ung name.. hehe sowee...

you also have to check out esplanade mall... sa labas lng nun nandun na si merlion...

mag try ka na rin nung local icecream nila... $1 lng naman un eh... hehe

better tasting and cheap food or makan can be found in the local kopitiam or hawker centers.

i recommend you try evertop boneless hainanese chcken rice at clementi avenue 2 and fried hokkien mee (its like pansit guisado) in food republic in wisma atria.

if youre a tech junkie, try to schedule your trip during electronics shows (there is one every quarter) so that you'll get good buys. if not, then the best places to go are sim lim square in bugis or funan IT mall near cityhall mrt.

nice places to visit are sentosa (you can take different modes of transport going here like bus, lrt - sentosa express@vivocity, taxi,mrt, cable car or even walking!) , singapore zoo and night safari (beside each other so it will be convenient for you), esplanade (durian-like dome) which is close to the merlion.if you still have time, you can also visit jurong bird park, sungei buloh wetland reserves and singapore botanical gardens.

MTC, I will be in singapore this aug. i will stay there for at least 6 mos. Accept this as my announcement. Pls welcome me to the MTC_SG group.

I have read quite a few msg here. Pero ang hinanap ko related to basketball and movies.

Where do you play basketball? Meron ba cla sa parks or sa mga kanto?

Saan kayo nanood ng sine dito? Ayus lang ba sinehan nila?

MTC, I will be in singapore this aug. i will stay there for at least 6 mos. Accept this as my announcement. Pls welcome me to the MTC_SG group.

I have read quite a few msg here. Pero ang hinanap ko related to basketball and movies.

Where do you play basketball? Meron ba cla sa parks or sa mga kanto?

Saan kayo nanood ng sine dito? Ayus lang ba sinehan nila?

there are a lot of public basketball courts, normally in the community centers or near the hdb blocks.

as for watching movies, i suggest cathay cineleisure in orchard or moviehouses in vivocity. just take the mrt and these places are just a few minutes walk from the station.

went to SG two weeks ago...

stayed at the InnCrowd Backpackers Hostel - what an experience... parang United Nations Big Brother House... pero ok naman, got to meet a lot of peeps... di naman business trip so ok lang kahit hindi hotel... S$18/night :cool:

basta, the best ang transport system ng SG, the MRT and buses are very very reliable... :thumbsupsmiley:

you'd always wonder, bakit ang pinoy kapag nasa ibang bansa disiplinado, pero kapag nasa pinas di magawang umayos :thumbsdownsmiley:

bad trip lang ongoing yung makeover ni merlion for their national day on 9-Aug...

looking forward on going back... B)

Edited by gl0w_1n_th3_dark
better tasting and cheap food or makan can be found in the local kopitiam or hawker centers.

i recommend you try evertop boneless hainanese chcken rice at clementi avenue 2 and fried hokkien mee (its like pansit guisado) in food republic in wisma atria.

if youre a tech junkie, try to schedule your trip during electronics shows (there is one every quarter) so that you'll get good buys. if not, then the best places to go are sim lim square in bugis or funan IT mall near cityhall mrt.

nice places to visit are sentosa (you can take different modes of transport going here like bus, lrt - sentosa express@vivocity, taxi,mrt, cable car or even walking!) , singapore zoo and night safari (beside each other so it will be convenient for you), esplanade (durian-like dome) which is close to the merlion.if you still have time, you can also visit jurong bird park, sungei buloh wetland reserves and singapore botanical gardens.

Ano yun attractions sa sungei buloh wetland reserves?

there are a lot of public basketball courts, normally in the community centers or near the hdb blocks.

as for watching movies, i suggest cathay cineleisure in orchard or moviehouses in vivocity. just take the mrt and these places are just a few minutes walk from the station.

just wanna ask, what are hdb blocks? whats the best way of knowing na merong bball court sa area?

vivocity is close to where i'll be staying. dun cguro ako tambay. harbour front station tama ba?

just wanna ask, what are hdb blocks? whats the best way of knowing na merong bball court sa area?

vivocity is close to where i'll be staying. dun cguro ako tambay. harbour front station tama ba?

• 3 weeks later...
All all Mtc buddies, I am a local singaporean but have lived in Manila for the past 4 years. From my point of view, the best local food and cheapest is neither in Orchard, Tanglin...etc it is usually in the neighcourhood mall such as Tampines Mall, Northpoint, West Mall... all this are situated at the outskirt of Singapore...

Train ride from Orchard to any of this places are very very accessible. In Singapore, most of the neighbourhood malls are located right at the doorstep of MRT (Mass Rapid Transit), parang LRT and MRT in Manila. And the fare is around $2-$3 each ride.

As for chicken rice, try out Boon Tiong Kee at Balestier road or any other branch, best chicken rice in town. Local delicacy are located in the neighbourhood area too. Its call the coffee shop or hawker centre.

For those who needs more info on Singapore travel, you can drop me an email at mkluv2mi@yahoo.com.sg

Have fun

Hi!

I was in Singapore last year for only a few hours. But I got a taste of chicken rice. It was already good, but I would like to taste your recommendation. I'll be there in a couple of weeks, but again only for the weekend. Can you give me directions to Boon Tiong Kee. Thanks in advance. :cool:

guys, im now in singapore. the place i frequent the most are ABC Brickworks, Queensway Shopping Cntre and Parkway Parade.

the food is fantastic. last week, nasobrahan ako ng chili while enjoying fried oyster and laksa. the most chiliest i've had. but still, i love it.

mahirap lang talaga d2, di pa ako marunong humawak ng pera. ung 50 cents, 15 pesos sa atin un, malaking bagay na. naninibago ako, parang tinatapon ko lang 50 cents. minsan d ko pansin na dollars nga pala hawak ko, d peso.

minsan din, d ko napapansin, nagtatagalog ako sa kausap ko, kala ko pinoy din. mukha naman kasing pinoy, lalo na mga malay.

• 1 month later...
Ano yun attractions sa sungei buloh wetland reserves?

if you're into bird watching, this will be a good place for you. normally, migratory birds stay here for a while before they transfer to another place. this unadulerated place is for nature lovers

hbd blocks are similar to high rise apartments. these are the common places to whcih singaporeans are staying as its affordable and subsidized by the government.normally, there is a basketball beside the cluster of hdb blocks.you can easily see it as its near the walkway.

condos are the private apartments,usually enclosed by fence and have amenities such as swimming pools, tennis courts, gym while others have driving ranges.

yes, vivocity is just a few minutes waya from harbourfront station.you can also take an lrt from vivocity going to sentosa or if you like,you can take the the cable car from harbourfront to sentosa.

vivocity has a good number of theaters to watch, from big screen to digital and to special (gold class).you can even book online and choose your seats.

i hope youre enjoying your stay in singapore

Have fun

hello sir. my dad still raves about the chicken rice he had in a restaurant called swee kee. actually i was with him then but i was too young to remember. is it still around ? thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

we ate chicken rice inside a mall there which i thought was the best. bitin lang ako dahil i had to take care of my son and wasn't able to finish the leftovers. :D on our second trip, we ate at a chicken place beside raffles hotel. i think it's where the locals go to because it was so ordinary looking. the food was just as great and cheaper pa. problem was the waitress doesn't know how to speak english. i guess that's why they had pictures in their menu. look for it, it's the only chicken place right beside the hotel...

Neighborhood eateries are great, un nga lang, medyo tricky. Kelangan nga lang familiar ka sa lugar b4 going there. Minsan d mo expect sarado sila, or hindi available ung specialty nila. So medyo tsambahan d2. :hypocritesmiley: Otherwise just settle for foodcourts. ok din naman pero mas mahal.

Also try to remember what they call that food, marami silang variety for common foods like hor fun, laksa, chicken rice, and nasi lemak. little differnces in the way you order them means a lot. :blush:

Also importantly, practice using chopsticks! iba style d2, they use chopsticks na may partner na scoop on the other hand. Its ok to slurp the noodles, wag lang sana kumalat sa damit mo or sa table ung sauce. :goatee:

i,m starting to feel that this is turning out to be my blog page. :hypocritesmiley:

anyway,

equally important as singaporean fud is singaporean drinks. 1 of 4 stalls in hawker centers or food court cater exclusively drink products.

they have the most extensive line up of teas and juices/shakes not found in pinas.

for teas they have the flower and fruit classes.

flower teas like jasmine tea, chrysantemum, and even rose tea!

fruit teas like apple, lemon, peach tea.

then there are "natural" drinks like barley, water chestnut, longan, sugar cane, sea coconut, rambutan, grass jelly (parang gulaman) and almond.

most of these are favorites of mine. walang ganyan sa pinas! :thumbsupsmiley:

they also have soya bean milk, coconut juice wid pulp in cans, mango with nata de coco and apple with aloe vera.

milk here is very varied. they even have a multi grain milk and malt flavored milk. wah! milk heaven! :thumbsupsmiley:

then u have also some native drinks like teh tarik (stretch/pulled tea), teh susu (milk tea) and kopi-o. all served all day and night long.

no need to go to starbucks or coffee bean and tea leaf. hawker center stalls are just as fine. also cheaper.

so all thse "healthy" drinks shud be enough reason to stay out of coke, or soda drinks. there's hardly any powdered drinks in the grocery.

singaporeans prefer to drink fresh and natural.

one warning: some drinks tend to be too sweet! choose less sweet varieties if any.

otherwise drink moderately!

Edited by sandr0ck

if you want to enjoy a wide variety of singaporean food, go to old airport road food center.its just a few bus stops away from kallang mrt station.most of the popular dishes are located here so its very crowded during weekends.i suggest you visit the place on weekdays

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys...i've been to singapura twice na and stayed for weeks. For those who would like to visit I would suggest to learn how to take the Mrt and buses since they can take you from north to south or east to west of this country. Very convenient and very easy to visit places.

Sentosa and Night safari are good adventures but pricey, it would cost you around S$50-100 depending on the package. For high tech gadgets you can go to SimLim Square, for perfumes,jewelries, bags etc you can go to mustafa or airport, for girls..never mind baka filipino din makuha mo..hehehe..

Food is not a problem because you can go to hawker center or so-called "turo turo" sa atin. Food is always clean in singapore kahit san hawker station ka pumunta.

A good advise is to watch out your spending. Every cent/coin counts a lot, magulat ka na lang ang laki na pala ng nagastos mo.

Singaporeans are better than Hongkong nationals. They are more accomodating and respectful of other nationals kasi sila mismo maraming lahi.

Happy journey guys... Enjoy!!!