has anyone tried chartreuse?

the green or yellow one? i've tried the yellow one. its syrupy, sweet and strong flavors of parsley.

Yes and yes. Strong, sweet, vegetal and herby (it is concocted from herbs, after all!), and NOT a drink to over-indulge with. Try some green in a cup of very strong coffee.

could you clarify what you meant by bottled? would have this impression that you own a vineyard...

Amarone is new to me so I had to research it.

Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarone

Though I know a couple that owns a vineyard, I don't personally own one...maybe when I retire.

I 'do' my wine here http://www.bloorwestwinery.com/default.asp when I'm in town. Due to the amount of household consumption, it is more economical for us to visit Judy from time to time.

Attended two farewell cocktail parties for the outgoing French Ambassador. The first one was last Thursday - excellent French finger food matched with free flowing French wines and champagne by Taittinger (BRUT RÉSERVE) :thumbsupsmiley: The second was last night sponsored by LaFarge and Moet and Chandon - food by LJC (Cafe Adriatico, Cafe Havana, etc.) which was also great matched with free flowing Hennesy Cognac and Brut Imperial. :thumbsupsmiley:

Personally I preferred the Taittinger (BRUT RÉSERVE) than the Moet and Chandon (Brut Imperial).

Was at CAV last night with my US architect client -- a nice place when there are not much people.

We tried a mid-range Bordeaux Chateau Saint-Jacques 2003 -- a typical Bordeaux which is a blend of Cab Sauv, Merlot and Cab Franc.

At first, I sampled it from the vending machine. It was warm so the the alcohol was simply evaporating but you can taste hints of well rounded flavors of vanilla, dark berries and cherries.

I asked for a chilled bottle, the waiter said that the bottle will be coming from the cellar which was cooler.

We tasted the bottle and it was good. The flavors which I detected earlier were good but not superior.

Since it was after dinner, we had a plate of machego, emmenthal and brie, apricots, figs and walnuts.

For a light moment....

From Kitty Go's blog >>> http://chichitsthefan.blogspot.com/

(NOT) THE COLOR PURPLE November 2, 2008

Before we discuss my encounters with poverty and the turd world (since I am about to spend this weekend in Delhi), let us discuss the wines of Burgundy or Bourgogne to the cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

I am doing this is because I don't want to hear "What do you learn from Kitty's blog?"

"Nutthin..."

So today I am giving you the the Hollywood one-page story summary or the cheat sheet for the internet generation on Burgundy. And for the fashionistas, out there, no, this is NOT one of the brownish-red shades in a Pantone guide.

On the day the Asian markets dropped by 13%, I went to a wine tasting involving 13 wines from Burgundy. God knows all the bankers in town needed a strong drink and a lesson on expensive wine since soon they will not even be able to afford Ribena.

The tables were filled with so many glasses I thought I was assigned to wash them. This would have given Ina Raymundo a heart attack---- she of the ideal date being at a restaurant na 'basta huwag sa maraming kubyertos.'

HOKAY--so here is the summary you would submit to Brad Grey at Paramount if you want him to green light your film: (I HOPE you's knows dat Burgundies comes in whites and reds)

Burgundy is a region with the following 'hoods: Chablis, Cote de Nuits, Cote de Beaunem Cote Chalonnaise, Maconnais and Beaujolais. Chablis, Maconnais and Beaujolais are the most popular with Beaujolais having the reputation of cheapness.

It is cheap because it is Burgundy merely 'by location' which is like buying property with a "Beverly Hills Post Office' address or saying you live in Makati when it is really JP Rizal or saying you live on the Peak when you really live inside one of the WW2 bunkers together with illegal Chinese immigrants.

There are over 10,000 wine producers who grow and blend grapes and bottle wines out of chardonnay and pinot noir.

There are three classifications of vineyards: Grand Cru with 32 names which make up 1% of production (this is why you have to take out a mortgage to have a sip); Premiere Cru with 476 names making up 10-11% (buy this if you want to impress but not be cheap) and Village which accounts for 90% (Girls, you know your date is saving money if he orders this).

Knowing your wines to impress your friends and the chicks:

1) 2006 is a good year for whites. Puligny-Montrachet and Pouilly-Fuisse (being villages or'corners' if you had to 'splain this to Marlo and Omar) are popular with Americans but the Chassagne-Montrachet is great value and less popular with the peeps. The Uniqlo of the white wine world, if you will.

Of course you can always order a Chablis which goes with most Asian foods. (But personally, I think whiskey is better)

2) A moderately priced 'village' red would be 2002 Gevrey-Chambertin, Champerrier, 1er Domaine Tortochot, Cote de Nuits (more on DOMAINES later) would be 'manly' enough to impress a bird especially when you say that 2002 was one of the top 3 vintages in the last 15 years so you ain't so cheap and ignorant after all.

3) If you want to prove your manliness in choice and wallet at Morton's Steakhouse, order 2002 Vosne-Romanee, 1er Cru, Beaux Monts, Dme Bertagna, Cote de Beaune. At over 100 USD, the bird should at least give you head.

Another choice would be the 2002 Nuits St. Georges, les Cailles, 1er Cru, Patrice Rion, Cote de Nuits which would easily set you back over 150 USD but think of it as the reliable, wear with anything Maximillian fur that is elegant but not quite Fendi or Revillon.

A word about Domaines. Like Isaac couture and Isaac for Target, vineyards also do hi-low wine.

In other words, it ain't the same without a domaine. Well, sort of.

And that's it, in a grape seed, kids.

But I have a better plan for the guys. Instead of trying to learn all this, take a new date to a wine tasting. That way, you can a) impress her with your sophisticated idea of a date and B) take advantage of her later when she's drunk.

Don't shoot the messenger..for your comments, if any visit her blog :-)

Edited by augustmoon

I recently had dinner with my American architect client, an owner/CEO of an Amercian engineering consulting firm and the country manager of a UK engineering consulting firm based here.

The owner of the US engineering consulting firm is an avid sailor (owns a sailbout in SoCal) and wine collector. He brought 2 wines which we paired with several Filipino dishes such as fried tawilis, pritchon, baked mussels, green mango and eggplant salad for starters and lamb caldereta, lengua, pinakbet grilled squid and tamarind stewed beef (sinigang na baka) Yes, pinot holds its own with our own saucy, oily, rich cuisine.

FOXEN 2006, Pinot Noir, Julia's Vineyard Santa Maria Valley - a fruity pinot noir whose elegance is just divine.

Pinot Noir Carneros Primo's Hill, Kazmer & Blaise, 2005 - a great Napa Pinot!.

An evening of great friends and food with excellent wines!!!

Edited by masi

Inviting you all to our group art exhibition at the Avellana Art Gallery on November 8, 630pm onwards. Siguradong may red and white wine. Hindi lang nga grand cru.

My brother-in-law opened a 2003 grand cru (forgot the exact label) last halloween. He said it was a gift. Impressive. Lasang mahal. Naalala ko bigla si Agxo. Hehehe.

For a light moment....

From Kitty Go's blog >>> http://chichitsthefan.blogspot.com/

(NOT) THE COLOR PURPLE November 2, 2008

Burgundy is a region with the following 'hoods: Chablis, Cote de Nuits, Cote de Beaunem Cote Chalonnaise, Maconnais and Beaujolais. Chablis, Maconnais and Beaujolais are the most popular with Beaujolais having the reputation of cheapness.

It is cheap because it is Burgundy merely 'by location' which is like buying property with a "Beverly Hills Post Office' address or saying you live in Makati when it is really JP Rizal or saying you live on the Peak when you really live inside one of the WW2 bunkers together with illegal Chinese immigrants.

.......or saying you live in Alabang when you really live in an address beside the railroad tracks there...

Guest lustfortravel

i was on my neighbor's balcony last weekend when i saw that the governor who lived across her house had put up a wine/liquor bar on his second-floor balcony. i could see it was an extensive bar with all those liquor and wines displayed in glass cabinets.

i asked my neighbor " doesn't the sun rise on this side?". she answered in the affirmative. i refrained from commenting further but i did think of you "wine-savvy" guys who would probably have a thing or two to say about displaying wines in an open balcony where the sun rises. and lest i forget, upright at that for all to see. :lol:

Edited by lustfortravel
i was on my neighbor's balcony last weekend when i saw that the governor who lived across her house had put up a wine/liquor bar on his second-floor balcony. i could see it was an extensive bar with all those liquor and wines displayed in glass cabinets.

i asked my neighbor " doesn't the sun rise on this side?". she answered in the affirmative. i refrained from commenting further but i did think of you "wine-savvy" guys who would probably have a thing or two to say about displaying wines in an open balcony where the sun rises. and lest i forget, upright at that for all to see. :lol:

Clearly the wines are for display only, and not for consumption. He's just showing off his wealth and aiblity to buy expensive wines. Are they even real? Or are they refilled bottles from expensive wines? I would guess he can't tell the difference, nor does he care. All for show - all too typical, and not just among your politicos, but among many here as well.

Guest lustfortravel
Clearly the wines are for display only, and not for consumption. He's just showing off his wealth and aiblity to buy expensive wines. Are they even real? Or are they refilled bottles from expensive wines? I would guess he can't tell the difference, nor does he care. All for show - all too typical, and not just among your politicos, but among many here as well.

oh, they are real but i agree with the "showing off" part. :lol:

Well, all I can say is, "Different strokes for different folks!"

You would never find my wines "displayed" simply because they are "cellared" in the ref for constant temperature. I've experience "overcooked" and "flooded cork" wines by just leaving them "sitting" in my living room, which really doesn't get too warm even in summer.

My wines are precious (not in $ value but in the passion I keep). I can't put a good thing to waste.

Edited by masi
Well, all I can say is, "Different strokes for different folks!"

You would never find my wines "displayed" simply because they are "cellared" in the ref for constant temperature. I've experience "overcooked" and "flooded cork" wines by just leaving them "sitting" in my living room, which really doesn't get too warm even in summer.

My wines are precious (not in $ value but in the passion I keep). I can't put a good thing to waste.

Yes the key is constant temp in a dark, cool cellar.

Maybe he'll learn from experience.

Guest lustfortravel
real, yes - Carlo Rossi, Franzia in a bottle, Franzia in a box, Novellino (all varieties), Changyu :sick:

:lol:

sorry, i was too far off to see the brands on his display cabinets.