Any suggestion for a red? I'm thinking apple and sage notes. And a tiny bit sweet.

Hmmm. that would be quite difficult especially to get sage (I assume you're referring to a peppery spice character) and apple notes in red wine. Apple, particularly granny smith apple flavor, is prevalent in white wine like chardonnay.

How can I remove red wine stains from my wine glasses? Any tips?

Buy better glasses? :D Or, have you tried using that stuff you put though your coffeemaker to clean it? Vinegar and baking soda might work......nah, too much trouble! Easier to get new (and better) stems!

Any suggestion for a red? I'm thinking apple and sage notes. And a tiny bit sweet.
Hmmm. that would be quite difficult especially to get sage (I assume you're referring to a peppery spice character) and apple notes in red wine. Apple, particularly granny smith apple flavor, is prevalent in white wine like chardonnay.

Sage? I typically don't like herbaceous notes in my reds, but if you want sage in a red you might try a grenache or a mourvedre based wine. A southern Rhone, most likely.

As for apples - Masi is right. Not in a red. In a white, perhaps, a chardonnay from Chablis, but more likely in a DRY reisling.

But you also said sweet - hmmmmm. In that case might I recommend a red apple cider?

hmmm, you sound like someone i know, sir agxo ( calling boomouse ! :rolleyes: :P -kidding!) but i'm sure you are never wrong, especially when it comes to wine and photography ( a bit OT but i enjoyed your lectures in the photography hobby thread ^_^ )

So you hang out on the photography thread also? Cool! I stopped checking that thread - some good stuff but for the most part what people post is variations on a theme, so it's not that interesting any more. I think one of the most underrated, and least developed, skills is the appreciation of good art., especially in photography. Capturing an image is easy - a point, a click! - voila! everyone's a photographer! But to be a GOOD one requires a talent and a skill one does not acquire through the purchase of a digital camera, no matter how expensive. Anyway - rant over, back to our regular programming.

then again, i'm no wine expert , bods- i think everything tastes like cough syrup so what do i know? :lol:

To me that means you haven't yet had your wine conversion moment. I've found that most of the people I talk to who genuinely like good wine (as opposed to those who like the cachet they think liking good wine gives them) have had such moments. That's when you take a sip of a certain wine, and it all comes into focus. Then you say to yourself "So THAT's what good wine is all about!". Mine was some (10?) years ago when I tasted my first good (I mean GOOD!) red - the 1995 Rubicon from Niebaum-Coppola (since renamed Rubicon Estates). Before that I had enjoyed wine, mostly reds, and even could figure out some of the flavors and smells of the wines I was drinking. But I never really truly got it, as in REALLY understanding what good wine is all about, until that sip. I hope you have your moment of revelation soon!

To me that means you haven't yet had your wine conversion moment. I've found that most of the people I talk to who genuinely like good wine (as opposed to those who like the cachet they think liking good wine gives them) have had such moments. That's when you take a sip of a certain wine, and it all comes into focus. Then you say to yourself "So THAT's what good wine is all about!". Mine was some (10?) years ago when I tasted my first good (I mean GOOD!) red - the 1995 Rubicon from Niebaum-Coppola (since renamed Rubicon Estates). Before that I had enjoyed wine, mostly reds, and even could figure out some of the flavors and smells of the wines I was drinking. But I never really truly got it, as in REALLY understanding what good wine is all about, until that sip. I hope you have your moment of revelation soon!

That's it! Maybe what lustfortravel needs, just like the rest of us mere wine mortals, is a taste of that Rubicon you've been "cellaring"!

Now that the price of of per barrel is below $120, you should start dusting your suitcases and get ready for a Transpacific flight... Rubicon in hand, if I may add! :thumbsupsmiley:

It's a good thing the gas is still much cheaper than wine!

That's it! Maybe what lustfortravel needs, just like the rest of us mere wine mortals, is a taste of that Rubicon you've been "cellaring"!

Now that the price of of per barrel is below $120, you should start dusting your suitcases and get ready for a Transpacific flight... Rubicon in hand, if I may add! :thumbsupsmiley:

It's a good thing the gas is still much cheaper than wine!

Or better yet, you come over for a visit and we pop open a bottle or three in my backyard while we burnsome meat! Then we can go to Livermore, or Napa, or Sonoma, or Paso Robles, or Santa Barbara, or the Santa Cruz mountains, or Monterey......or all of the above if you stay long enough! At 5 wineries a day, lemme see - that will be at least 1,000 days of wine tasting! :thumbsupsmiley: And that's just northern CA along the coastal areas!

then again, i'm no wine expert , bods- i think everything tastes like cough syrup so what do i know? :lol:

common, you don't have to be an expert in wine to know the difference between a cough medication and an alcoholic drink, although there are a lot of drinks masquerading as wine, but with the type of dinner parties you organize I'm sure you don't serve wines that taste like cough syrup. :lol: My insight is that your tongue needs a little more education, with respect to wine, I mean :blush:

So you hang out on the photography thread also? Cool! I stopped checking that thread - some good stuff but for the most part what people post is variations on a theme, so it's not that interesting any more. I think one of the most underrated, and least developed, skills is the appreciation of good art., especially in photography. Capturing an image is easy - a point, a click! - voila! everyone's a photographer! But to be a GOOD one requires a talent and a skill one does not acquire through the purchase of a digital camera, no matter how expensive. Anyway - rant over, back to our regular programming.

rant continued - technology and expensive camera equipment and accessories would not make you a good photographer - only a good artistic eye will make you one. Consider Ansel Adams. A group of photography buffs (read: nut cases) used historical and climatological data for the past 50 or so years to get the same conditions (time of day, cloud positions, sun position etc) as when Ansel Adams took those evocative photos and went to the same locations and took the same photos. The photos they took were brilliant dupicates of the originals, but they were sadly missing the same feel and character of the original photos. Now back to wine! If those nut cases spent their time sipping the best California wines instead of pouring ver arcane atmospheric data, then their time would not have been sadly wasted.

cheers!

many thanks as advice !!! yeah read one says good for finishing (wag konti/ wag sobra), pwede rin marinade, i even tried it marinade wine + patis + paminta + chili + garlic + kamay ko! (himas-himas konti) SARAP! steak it is.

explore cooking while using wine, hehe nice hobby basta cgurado kainin ang luto mo hehe :)

Sage? I typically don't like herbaceous notes in my reds, but if you want sage in a red you might try a grenache or a mourvedre based wine. A southern Rhone, most likely.

As for apples - Masi is right. Not in a red. In a white, perhaps, a chardonnay from Chablis, but more likely in a DRY reisling.

But you also said sweet - hmmmmm. In that case might I recommend a red apple cider?

Hehehe! Nice one Agxo! Reisling from the Rhine, the same place where they turn up jugs of apfelvien - apple cider actually! And served in stem free glasses.

Sage... I don't think I've ever come across that flavor before - straight from the bottle. As an au jus reduction, most likely. It would be interesting to find one, though.

Dami kong namiss.

Points to ponder about photography as art... well-taken! Thanks Agxo and Bods. Sabi nga - wala sa pana iyan kundi nasa indian. Indian pana, kakana-kana. Hehehe.

I went to my ENT doctor because of my chronic dry cough. And the culprit is acid reflux! Asar, asar... daming bawal. Bawal na ang spicy food, tomato, oily food, coffee, tea, carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages --- siempre kasali ang wine. Nabawasan ang cough ko, masama naman ang loob ko.

Guest lustfortravel
I think one of the most underrated, and least developed, skills is the appreciation of good art., especially in photography. Capturing an image is easy - a point, a click! - voila! everyone's a photographer! But to be a GOOD one requires a talent and a skill one does not acquire through the purchase of a digital camera, no matter how expensive.

so true, sir agxo. acquiring an expensive digital dslr for bragging rights doesn't add to pogi points, anyway. :lol: and the proof of the pudding , as they say, is in the eating. there are a lot of commentaries, opinions and what have yous in the thread at the moment but i have yet to see people post the stuff they took, presuming they are as good in photography as their posts make them out to be. ;)

hmm, maybe because i have been busy serving the wine instead of drinking also, sir agxo. unfortunately, the duties of a party hostess leave little room for sitting down to be able to take a sip and enjoy the moment ( at least in the parties I have to host). :)

I second the motion :lol:

common, you don't have to be an expert in wine to know the difference between a cough medication and an alcoholic drink, although there are a lot of drinks masquerading as wine, but with the type of dinner parties you organize I'm sure you don't serve wines that taste like cough syrup. :lol: My insight is that your tongue needs a little more education, with respect to wine, I mean :blush:

:lol: True, bods. My tongue is educated enough in other aspects, anyway.

I went to my ENT doctor because of my chronic dry cough. And the culprit is acid reflux! Asar, asar... daming bawal. Bawal na ang spicy food, tomato, oily food, coffee, tea, carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages --- siempre kasali ang wine. Nabawasan ang cough ko, masama naman ang loob ko.

padalhan na lang kita ng wine na sinerve doon sa party , storm. tutal lasang cough syrup naman yun, eh- bagay sa ubo mo. :P

Edited by lustfortravel
Maybe the wine was left uncorked for so long that the wine became cough syrup. :ohmy:

Won't happen - it will turn to vinegar first! Which brings me to yet ANOTHER use of the wine you didn't drink but wish you had! Leave it be for a few days...taste occasionally. Soon, you will have some really first rate vinegar! Great for cooking. Do this with a white, for example and add a bit to your adobo mix along with a sprig of rosemary. With a red, use it in your pork BBQ marinade or steak marinade. With either, try adding some chopped garlic, some fresh cracked black pepper, a bit of chopped shallots - use for a dip for chicharon or crispy pata. Yum!

so true, sir agxo. acquiring an expensive digital dslr for bragging rights doesn't add to pogi points, anyway. :lol: and the proof of the pudding , as they say, is in the eating. there are a lot of commentaries, opinions and what have yous in the thread at the moment but i have yet to see people post the stuff they took, presuming they are as good in photography as their posts make them out to be. ;)

Well, I've posted MY stuff for all to see! PM me and I will send you the pointer. Haven't done much of anything new for a couple of years - too busy with other things in my life......but you can see a few of my favorites over the past 15 years. Only one album is digital, the rest is all film, all B/W, shot in various formats from 35mm to 4x5.

hmm, maybe because i have been busy serving the wine instead of drinking also, sir agxo. unfortunately, the duties of a party hostess leave little room for sitting down to be able to take a sip and enjoy the moment ( at least in the parties I have to host). :)

Isn't one of the duties of the hostess to participate with her guests/ After all, one must share the enjoyment, and flitting about being overly concerned with everyone else to the neglect of your own participation deprives the guests of the pleasure of your company! Hosting is more than making the food is served as planned, it also involves ensuring the enjoyment of your guests!

I second the motion :lol:

I'd love to but circumstances conspire against me in this regard. Maybe early next year, late next year is pretty sure. For the late trip, I definitely plan to bring a few bottles of GOOD wine.

:lol: True, bods. My tongue is educated enough in other aspects, anyway.

Hmmmm......now there's something to ponder! :evil: At the very least, now I REALLY have to meet you over a glass or two of wine!

padalhan na lang kita ng wine na sinerve doon sa party , storm. tutal lasang cough syrup naman yun, eh- bagay sa ubo mo. :P

No MD20-20 please! I think we've all outgrown that.

rant continued - technology and expensive camera equipment and accessories would not make you a good photographer - only a good artistic eye will make you one. Consider Ansel Adams. A group of photography buffs (read: nut cases) used historical and climatological data for the past 50 or so years to get the same conditions (time of day, cloud positions, sun position etc) as when Ansel Adams took those evocative photos and went to the same locations and took the same photos. The photos they took were brilliant dupicates of the originals, but they were sadly missing the same feel and character of the original photos.

What most people do not realize is the care and technical skill that Ansel Adams brought to ALL his photgraphic decisons - from the obvious art of his composition, to the unseen and underappreciated skill with which he chose film, filters, chemicals, processing techniques, paper, and toner to achieve the images he visualized.

Now back to wine! If those nut cases spent their time sipping the best California wines instead of pouring ver arcane atmospheric data, then their time would not have been sadly wasted.

The same is true for winemakers - it is easy to crush some grapes, add some yeast and allow nature to take its course. But that makes winemaking is an art are the choices that are made at each step of the way, from the grapse that are chosen from the harvest, to the techniques used in vification, to the choices of the barrels - all is NOT obvious, but certainly ALL contribute to the tsate and experience of the wine.

Those nut cases would most likely try to duplicate a Rubicon by picking grapes of substantially the same "quality" (how do you judge that anyway?) to the yeast that is used and barrels. But I would dare say that they would end up "wine by the numbers", or as one friend puts it - "better living through chemistry!".

Bawal din daw ang cough syrup, lozenges and mint because they relaxes the throat and esophagus. Kaya I forsee in the future --- Kremil-S para sa makating lalamunan at tuyong ubo!!!! :lol: :boo:

Edited by storm
Bawal din daw ang cough syrup, lozenges and mint because they relaxes the throat and esophagus. Kaya I forsee in the future --- Kremil-S para sa makating lalamunan at tuyong ubo!!!! :lol: :boo:

Pareng Storm, get well soon so we can have EBs! Dumadami na tayo dito

Hi guys.

Just got back from a week-long slog in Singapore. While tramping around Funan IT Mall when I could 'escape' from meetings, I found this bistro at the second floor called Cafe Amigo. They had a nice wine cellar and picked-up a few botts of my old reliable Brunello. But I also found this:

post-188-1218970365.jpg

I recognized leather and truffle bouquets--a nice companion to the rare side of a prime rib carving. I have read reviews about this wine being a hit or miss. Some say it doesn't travel well, others say that it is sensitive to mishandling (which in my book means the same thing). I had two bottles opened. We consumed the second but unfortunately had to send back the first one because it was obviously corked and the bistro owner agreed with us. Normally, this being Singapore, they would try for a debate of sorts but things were so obvious. She used it to quickly whip up a red wine gravy for the prime rib.

Edited by boomouse

I suspect your doctor was a cowboy in his former life. He used the shotgun approach on you. Acid reflux, ok. I'm no doctor, but you can use some sort of scientific method. Eliminate the variables one at a time until you come to the exact culprit. Here then is the order with which you eliminate the variables - number one being the first thing you would avoid, number two the second, and so on...

1. Spicy food

2. Tomato

3. Oily foods

4. Coffee

5. Tea

6. Carbonated drinks

7. Wine

Pare I'm sure before you reach number seven tanggal na yang ubo mo and therefore we shall continue on our merry EB's!

cheers!!!