you may want to look at Carlo Rossi's gallon bottles, they both have red and white

are you giving sound advice or you're trying to get him into trouble.

carlo rossi and other labels in its level (i refuse to call it class) is frowned upon on this thread as its is a level higher than vinegar.

Do your guests regularly drink wine? What do they usually drink?

If they don't really drink wine, and say they just might take a sip for a toast or something, then an inexpensive one for everyday drinking will do. You can backread, there are several great choices mentioned.

But if your guests have a preference, it would be better to get something they'd enjoy. Some prefer reds over whites, so you might need to get more of one over the other.

Hope this helps.

Hi wine experts,

Would like to get your opinion here.....

I am hosting dinner at home for some 60-70 family and friends. Menu is steak, chicken and fish. Before buying wines to go with it, I would like to ask for your inputs as to what red and white wines to buy.

I intend to buy 10 bottles REDS and 10 bottles WHITES. My budget is P300/bottle. Can you recommend which red and white wine to buy? and which liquor store sells them?

Thanks in advance folks.

Edited by floppydrive
Hi wine experts,

Would like to get your opinion here.....

I am hosting dinner at home for some 60-70 family and friends. Menu is steak, chicken and fish. Before buying wines to go with it, I would like to ask for your inputs as to what red and white wines to buy.

I intend to buy 10 bottles REDS and 10 bottles WHITES. My budget is P300/bottle. Can you recommend which red and white wine to buy? and which liquor store sells them?

Thanks in advance folks.

for steak, i'd go for a cabernet sauvignon; for the chicken and fish, perhaps a sauvignon blanc or a gewurtz

Edited by payatot
Masi... the resident 'oenophile' enjoying your regular contribution here.

I'm quite familiar with the Napa and Niagara varieties.

Any local favs?

When you say "local", do you literally mean wine made in the Philippines or just sold here?

As far as I know, the only grape based 'wine' produced within our shores in Novelino. I'd rather drink Tanduay - ESQ, Superior, the 15 year or 18 year old ones than that.

There are unique ones made from local fruits, but it's not really in wide circulation.

Masi... the resident 'oenophile' enjoying your regular contribution here.

I'm quite familiar with the Napa and Niagara varieties.

Any local favs?

Nope I just like discovering good to excellent labels, and while I'm doing that, I also get my fair share of the not so good and forgetable labels.

I give my comments here so others don't have to go through my learning curve.

My staple todate, remains the Concha y Toro, Casillero del Diablo Cab Sauv and Merlot and the Blackstone Pinot Noir. When friends from the US fly in to visit, thats when I get those labels which are not available here.

As for the local vino --- Tanduay "blue label". It stands its own especially when chilled.

Are you sure that all your guests will be drinking? If not I would suggest you cut down the number of bottles by half by double your budget per botte.

With P500 to P600 in hand, you have at your disposal a fairly good bottle of wine. Go to Wine Depot or Santis they could help you out with your selection. You can even sample their wine for the week.

You may also try to ask the sales staff at Wine Depot if they would have some wine labels within your original budget. I think you'll find a label within that price range.

OK what P500 wine can you guys recommend then???

you may want to look at Carlo Rossi's gallon bottles, they both have red and white

Accck!!! Who was it that once said - Life is too short to drink bad wine!

Cut down on the number of bottles, cut back on how much each guest drinks. Then serve GOOD wine instead! For those who just want to drink to get drunk, buy some cuarto cantos - it works really well! Better than wine for sheer alcoholic potency, actually.

Edited by agxo3
Who has the best wine selection in Manila?

It really depends on what you're looking for....

For Aussie, NZ and some CA, Old World, Wine Depot is the place.

Spanish, Portuguese, French, it's Terry's

French and some Aussie - Santis

French, CA - Bacchus.

There should be a few more but these would be the shops that I would be visiting.

As for restaurants with a good wine selection, I would think Hyatt Manila, Shangrila Makati and Mandarin would be on the top of my list, followed by Carpaccio, Balducci (if they kept the stock of Barolo).

:upside: :upside: :upside:

I see we have some "weird piece of cheese" in here, and I thought it was pareng storm's apple cider that was smelling :sick:

yes, masi's and agxo's advices on the the wines to drink at that party are spot on. In my experience I always try to determine if my guests are wine drinkers or not. If wine drinkers, will they be of just the casual type, or those with a certain degree of wine appreciation. I base my wine-buying decision on that. If they're unfamiliar with wine, I don't try to impress. Beer or some scotch blend will do just fine....

The wife and I were at Barcino's last Friday, or rather were trying to dine at Barcino's. The place was full and it turns out that for Fridays and Saturdays you need to have a reservation. They also have an additional wing pero puno pa din. Gone are those days, pareng masi hehehe

Pareng bods, you should have gone to their branch at The Fort. I haven't been there but it looks bigger from the road.

No wine for me lately as I still recovering from a mild bout of intestinal flu. I'm back to normal now.... or should I say am back to being (ab) normal.

I trust that everyone is having a great weekend.

Agxo, the presidential campaign is "smokin"!!!! Palin is a slugger!!! Maybe Obama would be wishing the he should have chosen Hillary for VP!?

Would you have a different wine label for a Democrat or GOP in Pennsylvania Avenue in Jan 2009?

Pareng bods, you should have gone to their branch at The Fort. I haven't been there but it looks bigger from the road.

No wine for me lately as I still recovering from a mild bout of intestinal flu. I'm back to normal now.... or should I say am back to being (ab) normal.

Agxo, the presidential campaign is "smokin"!!!! Palin is a slugger!!! Maybe Obama would be wishing the he should have chosen Hillary for VP!?

Would you have a different wine label for a Democrat or GOP in Pennsylvania Avenue in Jan 2009?

:lol: If the Dems win, I'll be opening one of my Rubicons :thumbsupsmiley: in celebration.....if it's 4 more years of the Bush/Cheney legacy :sick: then I'll be digging DEEEEP into my stock of whiskeys - some of the 21 year old Johnny Walker, then that 18 year Chivas, then on to that 8 year old Nikko single malt from Japan (yes, Japan! they make awesome whiskeys - or is the whiskys? never can remember!)

:lol: If the Dems win, I'll be opening one of my Rubicons :thumbsupsmiley: in celebration.....if it's 4 more years of the Bush/Cheney legacy :sick: then I'll be digging DEEEEP into my stock of whiskeys - some of the 21 year old Johnny Walker, then that 18 year Chivas, then on to that 8 year old Nikko single malt from Japan (yes, Japan! they make awesome whiskeys - or is the whiskys? never can remember!)

Suntory also makes a great 18-year old single malt. A completely different environment from the Scottish single malt.

Suntory also makes a great 18-year old single malt. A completely different environment from the Scottish single malt.

Yes, indeed, they do! And yes, indeed, it's much different - more refined, less peaty and smoky. I've enjoyed it on many a trip to Japan. Kinda hard to find here in the Bay Area, but since I have cut down on my scotch consumption in favor or more wine, it hasn't bothered me much! But, since you've reminded me, it's probably time for a visit to my local (or not so local) GOOD bar to see if they have that 18-year Suntory!

I will check it out next time, pare. Thanks!

Good thing that flu is history now. Maybe your stomach needs some level of alcohol to keep those pests away hehehe

yes Palin is GOOD! Obama should know better than to slug it out with her. She gives back as good as anyone out there.

Hope she wins - not McCain hehehe

I will check it out next time, pare. Thanks!

Good thing that flu is history now. Maybe your stomach needs some level of alcohol to keep those pests away hehehe

yes Palin is GOOD! Obama should know better than to slug it out with her. She gives back as good as anyone out there.

Hope she wins - not McCain hehehe

Yup, maybe the alcohol in my system is not enough to clean any virus. I need to ramp up on the alcohol!

Hehehehehe..... that would be a novelty in US elections -- a mixed bag -- a Democrat president and a Republican VP!!!! And they will get a taste of the Philippine brand of politics!!!!

But, honestly, I don't think it's permitted in thier system. Let's ask Agxo or igoleyes.

Hmmmm, all this talk about US politics is better served with some parma ham, cheese and a good label.

Hehehehehe..... that would be a novelty in US elections -- a mixed bag -- a Democrat president and a Republican VP!!!! And they will get a taste of the Philippine brand of politics!!!!

But, honestly, I don't think it's permitted in thier system. Let's ask Agxo or igoleyes.

Unfortunately, in the US system, you vote for the WHOLE ticket, so if you vote for Obama by default you vote for Biden, and if for McCain then by default you also get Palin. A mixed bag would definitely be interesting, because in the US system, the VP has one other role - that of Senate President. However, the only REAL function of the Senate President is to cast the tie-breaking vote if needed.

Unfortunately, in the US system, you vote for the WHOLE ticket, so if you vote for Obama by default you vote for Biden, and if for McCain then by default you also get Palin. A mixed bag would definitely be interesting, because in the US system, the VP has one other role - that of Senate President. However, the only REAL function of the Senate President is to cast the tie-breaking vote if needed.

Now that's really interesting, especially the role of the Veep!!!! I often wondered where the Senate president was since all you would see is the Speaker of the House. And I thought the political system was complicated.

It now seems, it has lesser layers than what we have here. As they say, the more layers in government, the higher incidence of corruption!!!!

Hmmmm...... now, I need a drink!!!!