I opened a bottle of Ravenswood Vintners Blend Cabernet Sauvignon 2005, while having dinner with my cousins.

I'm too tired to post my notes and lifted the notes from http://www.toastwines.com/206589, and I quote

Fine, soft tannins and subtle oak contribute well-balanced roundness, and the finish lingers considerably longer than you might expect. If Cabernet is California's luxury wine, this one is arguably the best bargain going. Lively and bright with ripe blackberry, cherry and vanilla flavors that linger on the long, smooth finish

Unquote.

I couldn't agree with the notes more.

Truly an excellent value for money wine.

I had dinner with my fave political analyst/columnist as a send off after a successful launching of part 1 of his autobiography.

Had a bottle of Estancia Monterey Pinot Noir 2005 pinnacles ranches. An unusual Pinot. A dominant character is the saline/mineral taste.

Maybe attributed to the terrain and climate (terrior) being in Monterey where moisture is high and the mist from the Pacific is a daily fare.

Truly a unique NorCal Pinot.

• 3 weeks later...

SANTIS DELI in Annapolis is CLOSED!

They moved to a new location in the corner of Wilson Street and P. Guevarra in San Juan.

I found out that they carry the label "Craggy Range" but not the Pinot! I tried the Pinot of Craggy Range and it's excellent! I will try out the other varietals like Syrah and Merlot in the coming day.... weeks.... months and let you know.

Also, the Beaujolais Noveau 2008 is in stock! P990 per bottle. Mahal na! I got mine last year at P750 lang!

i like Franzia Chillable red kahit na mumurahin ok naman. 3L may gripo pa sa gilid yung box.

i hate the red wine of marks and spencer. for some reason, it tastes like cartolina if you get my drift.

and to think na nung HS kulang nalang rubbing alcohol tunggain namin pag walang pera. including the gin na lasang thinner!!!!! Ginebra Kelly yata yun

Edited by tagalinis
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a few guests at home last night.

I opened a bottle of Goldeneye 2005 Anderson Valley Pinot Noir.

Tasting notes c/o thewineclub.com

This well-balanced, medium-weight wine offers bright acidity and a long, satisfying finish. The aroma is rich and evocative of dark cherries, nutmeg, caramelized apple, cinnamon, and clove. On the palate, it is full of plum, spice, cherry, strawberry, and vanilla oak layers. Though delicate and understated, this wine’s compelling force of flavor, weight, and potent spice create a depth and density that cannot be missed.

Wine Enthusiast Winemaker Zach Rasmuson did not produce a Narrows Vineyard bottling in 2005. Instead, those grapes went into the regular Goldeneye, to its great benefit. The wine is particularly rich and powerful in cherry pie filling, black raspberry, mocha, Dr. Pepper and smoky oak flavors, with a gorgeous, mouth-filling texture that’s dramatic on the finish. Score: 92. —Steve Heimoff, July 01, 2008.

Wine Spectator Rich and distinctive, with complex, concentrated loamy earth, black cherry, wild berry, savory spice and fresh earth scents. The tannins are rich and mouthcoating, yet the fruit pours through. Drink now through 2011. 9,548 cases made. Score: 92. —James Laube, July 31, 2008.

Thinking of going on a pilgrimage to Napa Valley or the general area wine country next year, anybody have any suggested stops?

My wine merchant sold me some bottles of PRINTHE merlot from Australia, she said that it will be better than Penfolds. I will try one for the New Year. Happy New Year everyone!

Happy New Year!

A pilgrimage to Napa Valley would require a "must stop" to the cathedrals and hallowed halls of wine making which include, Copolla, Sterling, BV Wineries and Mondavi.

There are several boutique wineries which are goldmine for "very good" small volume labels.

Also, try venturing to Sonoma and the Calistoga areas. If you complete these 3 stops, you would have gone to the NoCal wine triumvirate.

Happy New Year!

I had a bottle of Kendall Jackson California 2004 Merlot Vintners Reserve.

http://www.kj.com/wines/vintners-reserve/merlot.aspx

Tasting Notes

"Intense wild berry and mocha flavors are accented by black cherry, currant and anise notes. Well structured, yet subtle tannins create a luxuriously smooth mouthfeel followed by a complex, rich and elegant finish." – Randy Ullom, Winemaster

Acclaim

88 Points - "A rewarding Merlot; polished, supple and dry, that floods the mouth with cherry, blackberry and black raspberry flavors, and a coating of toasty oak. This is really a finely balanced, elegant wine."

Steve Heimoff, Wine Enthusiast, June 2007

Recommended/Premium Merlot - "Ripe aromas and flavors of black cherry, raspberry, and a hint of blueberry; nice acidic backbone with fine tannins and a moderate finish." - Santé, October 2007

Recommended - Josh Greene, Wine & Spirits, June 2007

Silver Medal - 2007 International Eastern Wine Competition

Silver Medal - 2007 Los Angeles International Wine & Spirits Competition

Thinking of going on a pilgrimage to Napa Valley or the general area wine country next year, anybody have any suggested stops?

My wine merchant sold me some bottles of PRINTHE merlot from Australia, she said that it will be better than Penfolds. I will try one for the New Year. Happy New Year everyone!

Let me know when you're coming over. Maybe we can go do a day of wine tasting in the Napa Valley, then another in the Sonoma area, then another in Livermore, then another in the Santa Cruz mountians, then in Paso Robles, then down around Santa Barbara........too many wineries, too little time!

What are you interested in? Reds? Whites? What varietals? What styles? Just such a wide variety to make the most of it you need to narrow your focus a bit.......

Belated Merry XMas and Happy New Year to all!

Hope you all had some good wine over the holidays! Memorable bottles I had for XMas and New Years - 1995 J Brut (Sonoma County - a magnum!), 1998 J Rose Brut (very nice!), 1994 Retzlaff Cab, 1998 Retzlaff Cab-merlot blend, 2002 J Christopher Cellars Syrah, 2001 Pahlmeyer Cab......not enough!

cheers!

May the New Year be as prosperous and good as the preceding years!

Had a Peter Lehmann last New Year - tasting notes to follow as I still have to dredge up my memory hehehe..

The Chinese New Year is fast approaching, but it still doesn't mean we should indulge in Chinese wine :sick: :lol:

Hey Storm! check you Facebook account. Bods, Masi, if you don't have a FB account yet, get one! Great way to keep in touch!!!

KeeSha sangiovese from Sonoma Valley. 2006. Simple wine (little complexity and not a lot of agin potential) but pleasant enough to sip and get slightly bussed on.

Had it for dinner with a chicken/mushroom/sweet peppers/oyster sauce/black bean and garlic concoction. Not bad at all!\

Now having some queso de bola (Marca Pina of course!!!) The cheese is a bit much for it but still not bad. Wouldn;t keep this in my celler, but for a daily drinker it might work!

Hey Storm! check you Facebook account. Bods, Masi, if you don't have a FB account yet, get one! Great way to keep in touch!!!

KeeSha sangiovese from Sonoma Valley. 2006. Simple wine (little complexity and not a lot of agin potential) but pleasant enough to sip and get slightly bussed on.

Had it for dinner with a chicken/mushroom/sweet peppers/oyster sauce/black bean and garlic concoction. Not bad at all!\

Now having some queso de bola (Marca Pina of course!!!) The cheese is a bit much for it but still not bad. Wouldn;t keep this in my celler, but for a daily drinker it might work!

I have a Facebook account!

A friend of mine recently gifted me a "Opus One 2004". Will keep it for a few years until I reach a milestone.

greetings wine lovers,

just wanted to know kung may available dyan sa pinas na SCREAMING EAGLE 1997 cab sauv? and how much? hirap

maghanap dito mismo sa california, mahal na, one has to be in their mailing list pa. baka kasi meron dyan. thanks!

post-47007-1232158128.jpg

yup you could find one. there used to be a wine bar and restaurant who sells it close to P200k a bottle. i don't look for it because i don't intend to buy for reasons that i can't afford it, or even if i could, i still won't.

I have a Facebook account!

A friend of mine recently gifted me a "Opus One 2004". Will keep it for a few years until I reach a milestone.

2004 Opus, eh? Nice bottle. Not as good as the 2003, IMHO, but quite tasty nonetheless! Should be hitting its stride right around the end of ths year, but should be good all the way through 2019!

Guest lustfortravel
cheers!

May the New Year be as prosperous and good as the preceding years!

Had a Peter Lehmann last New Year - tasting notes to follow as I still have to dredge up my memory hehehe..

The Chinese New Year is fast approaching, but it still doesn't mean we should indulge in Chinese wine :sick: :lol:

nor should one "indulge " on the numerous carlo rossi and novellino wines given to us last christmas. every time i unwrapped one, i always think " now, what would the wine-savvy men say?" :lol: i'll use them to unclog my kitchen sinks instead. :lol: :lol:

good afternoon to all!

nor should one "indulge " on the numerous carlo rossi and novellino wines given to us last christmas. every time i unwrapped one, i always think " now, what would the wine-savvy men say?" :lol: i'll use them to unclog my kitchen sinks instead. :lol: :lol:

good afternoon to all!

well, i guess you can tell who your friends are by the wine they give!

• 2 weeks later...

red wine nalang ako these days dahil matanda na.

sa murang wines i like the Franzia 3 liter Chillable Red or California Red.

The more expensive ones i keep for occasions lang like the ones i get for Christmas that cost from P5th up.

marks and spencer wine sorry to say i really dont like dahil may after taste.