Speaking of Three Sheets - did anyone of you catch the Philippines episode? Pretty funny in some parts. Did the high-proof local stuff. And the flavored liquors (yuck!). That Hobbit bar was featured. And some dive in Malate.

no I didn't know that. Just tuned in to the show for about 3 weeks only. I am hoping they put out a compilation DVD of this show. Caught the episodes in Vietnam (where he had snake wine) and the one in Barcelona (now that's a place where his three sheets were hoisted!).

nice to see some activity in this thread. i have to admit that i have been too out-of-touch with wines. my most recent wine moments were with a Nobilo 2004 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and Vilarnau Brut Cava.

as for the notes, i had a cold so my nose was runny. one thing i could remember was the headached the following day.

i'm really not into whites except for a blonde or a brunette! :wacko:

same here! too much beer lately...basta ako redheads, I mean reds hehehe...

Came from Betsy W opening. Found the Don Luciano Cab Sauv (hints of cherries) from Spain to my liking than the Mouton Cadet Bordeux.

Mouton Cadet is, from what I can tell, the lowest grade Mouton wine. They charge a lot for it because of the name but IMO it;s really not up to their standards. But I guess they figure us non-French can't tell good wine from swill......you'd be much better off spending your money on a good Oz wine instead! Don't know Spanish wines well at all - not too many available here and those I do find tend to be tempranillos and riojas. A few garnachas. Spanish cabs are rare here, perhaps because there are so many California cabs to compete against.

Opened at Savage 2006 pinot last night and was afraid it would be bad. The wine had seeped up the cork and had leaked a bit - typically a sign the wine's been "cooked" - as in overheated while in storage - and the first sip seemed to confirm that. There was a tart ashy flavor - but after 15 minutes that went away and it got drinkable. Decent, but the flavors are a bit muted. Guess it's a bit cooked, but since we were having a very strong flavored beef stew (fennel, rosemary and thyme being the dominant flavors) it worked.

Came from Betsy W opening. Found the Don Luciano Cab Sauv (hints of cherries) from Spain to my liking than the Mouton Cadet Bordeux.

i would have drank the Mouton Cadet the whole night! it's the bread and butter label of Rothschild. a typical bordeaux which would be too complex and if not stored well or not upto temp could be quite crass.

not too familiar with the Don Luciano but from the way it's labelled as a varietal the winery must be playing catch up. i would stick to the familiar tempranillo.

that's why, i only stick to CA wines now. i am more familiar with what to expect.

Edited by masi
Hehehe. I agree with the Tempranillo. I prefer the ariadne tempranillo than the Don Luciano Cab. The Mouton served last night was too acidic for my taste.

Yup, pare! I agree with you on both counts. Pag dating sa Spanish wines, tempranillo is very stable. It should be in the grape variety and the Spanish soil and climate, that makes this variety so utterly Spanish.

For Mouton, it's expensive but not impressive! For that price point, you can get a good CA or OZ.

But I think, those wines were preferred because the artist lived in Europe, Spain exactly.

Went to Rubicon Estates (formerly Neibaum-Coppola - still owned by FF Coppola, but renamed) to taste the newly released 2005 Rubicon. I've got one of every Rubicon since 1995 - and I get two of the 2005 in my next shipment.

Tasting notes - a (very) small percentage of petit verdot adds character to the cabernet sauvignon that makes up the rest of the wine. No cab franc this time around, nor malbec, nor merlot, all of which have been included at some point or another in the blending of other vintages. The petit verdot grapes were fermented along with the cab in the oak fermenter rather than being blended in later. Fermented in the barrel then left to age. The wine is big and bold, with intense blackberries on the palate, leading to cassis and some black plum. Smoke and red cherries on the nose. Drinks really well right now, but I expect it to age well for another 5-7 years. I do not expect it to last much beyond that, however, making it not the BEST of the Rubicons in my wine fridge.

Let's see -

1995 - my wine conversion moment. This is when the lightbulb goes on and you say - "So THAT's what good wine is all about!"

1996 - a bit of a let down. Still a good wine, but not up to the standards set by the '95

1997 - Wow! Rubicon is back! Not as fruit forward, but loads of black fruit balancing the tannins.

1998 - Ooooohhhhh - not a good year for grapes in Napa. NO Rubicon produced this year. Grapes just not good enough. I tasted another '98 cab from the area - tart, very light tannins - didn't last more than a couple of years.

1999 - Napa cabs rebound and have a fantastic year. Big, heft tannins. I think this ought to be ready to drink right around NOW..

2000 - Good, middle of the road Rubicon. Kinda like the '96.

2001 - See 2001

2002 - A revelation. Wow! Much like the '95 but not as fruit forward. Should be ready to drink next year.

2003 - Not bad! Not as good as '02 but very nice. Drink in 2011-12.

2004 - See 2000. Good but not great.

1995, 1999 and 2002 are best of the best.......

Also tasted the new reisling - very, very nice! Almost rose in characteristics, and will stand up to lightly smoked or cured meats such as ham, so should be a good summer picnic wine.

Also stopped by the new Michael Chiarello restaurant in Yountville for late lunch/early dinner. Bottega takes up the back quarter of the ground floor of the Vintage 1870 building. Napa Style (also owned by M.C.) took over the wine store in the back building. Not cheap but excellent food. The proscuitto with "pasta fritta" and a small cup of lambrusco to cut the richness won the appetizer sweepstakes - my wife had the burrata with shaved and fried artichoke hearts. Good but more conventional. For dinner she had the sea scallops with pureed garbanzos (not hummus - more Italian in flavor) and roasted cauliflower. I had the flatiron steak with parmesan garlic fries on a pepper coulis. A great ending to a good day of wine tasting.

Went to Rubicon Estates (formerly Neibaum-Coppola - still owned by FF Coppola, but renamed) to taste the newly released 2005 Rubicon. I've got one of every Rubicon since 1995 - and I get two of the 2005 in my next shipment.

Tasting notes - a (very) small percentage of petit verdot adds character to the cabernet sauvignon that makes up the rest of the wine. No cab franc this time around, nor malbec, nor merlot, all of which have been included at some point or another in the blending of other vintages. The petit verdot grapes were fermented along with the cab in the oak fermenter rather than being blended in later. Fermented in the barrel then left to age. The wine is big and bold, with intense blackberries on the palate, leading to cassis and some black plum. Smoke and red cherries on the nose. Drinks really well right now, but I expect it to age well for another 5-7 years. I do not expect it to last much beyond that, however, making it not the BEST of the Rubicons in my wine fridge.

Let's see -

1995 - my wine conversion moment. This is when the lightbulb goes on and you say - "So THAT's what good wine is all about!"

1996 - a bit of a let down. Still a good wine, but not up to the standards set by the '95

1997 - Wow! Rubicon is back! Not as fruit forward, but loads of black fruit balancing the tannins.

1998 - Ooooohhhhh - not a good year for grapes in Napa. NO Rubicon produced this year. Grapes just not good enough. I tasted another '98 cab from the area - tart, very light tannins - didn't last more than a couple of years.

1999 - Napa cabs rebound and have a fantastic year. Big, heft tannins. I think this ought to be ready to drink right around NOW..

2000 - Good, middle of the road Rubicon. Kinda like the '96.

2001 - See 2001

2002 - A revelation. Wow! Much like the '95 but not as fruit forward. Should be ready to drink next year.

2003 - Not bad! Not as good as '02 but very nice. Drink in 2011-12.

2004 - See 2000. Good but not great.

1995, 1999 and 2002 are best of the best.......

Also tasted the new reisling - very, very nice! Almost rose in characteristics, and will stand up to lightly smoked or cured meats such as ham, so should be a good summer picnic wine.

Also stopped by the new Michael Chiarello restaurant in Yountville for late lunch/early dinner. Bottega takes up the back quarter of the ground floor of the Vintage 1870 building. Napa Style (also owned by M.C.) took over the wine store in the back building. Not cheap but excellent food. The proscuitto with "pasta fritta" and a small cup of lambrusco to cut the richness won the appetizer sweepstakes - my wife had the burrata with shaved and fried artichoke hearts. Good but more conventional. For dinner she had the sea scallops with pureed garbanzos (not hummus - more Italian in flavor) and roasted cauliflower. I had the flatiron steak with parmesan garlic fries on a pepper coulis. A great ending to a good day of wine tasting.

Thanks agxo! Nakakagutom and tulong laway. Hehehehe.

Just got my shipment! 2 2005 Rubicons and a 2007 Blancaneaux.

Blancaneaux is the Rubicon of whites. 58% rousanne,31% viognier, 11% marsanne. The structure of a rousanne with the floral notes of a viognier. Not sure what the marsanne contributes......

I'm not much of a fan of viogniers because they are so perfumey, but in small doses that floral note is not bad! And the "sweetness" of the fruit balances the tanginess of the rousanne very nicely. Some shale and other mineral notes, peach and a hint of vanilla. Citrus and honeysuckle on the nose. A nice addition to the few whites I keep around just for those rare occasions where a white works better than a red.

Just got my shipment! 2 2005 Rubicons and a 2007 Blancaneaux.

Blancaneaux is the Rubicon of whites. 58% rousanne,31% viognier, 11% marsanne. The structure of a rousanne with the floral notes of a viognier. Not sure what the marsanne contributes......

I'm not much of a fan of viogniers because they are so perfumey, but in small doses that floral note is not bad! And the "sweetness" of the fruit balances the tanginess of the rousanne very nicely. Some shale and other mineral notes, peach and a hint of vanilla. Citrus and honeysuckle on the nose. A nice addition to the few whites I keep around just for those rare occasions where a white works better than a red.

Hi Agxo!

This made me realize that the flavors of whites are still foreign to me. hahaha

Great chronological comparison of the Rubicons! Did they produce the reisling you mentioned or was that from a different winery? How does it compare with the Rhine Valley Rieslings?

Hi Agxo!

This made me realize that the flavors of whites are still foreign to me. hahaha

Great chronological comparison of the Rubicons! Did they produce the reisling you mentioned or was that from a different winery? How does it compare with the Rhine Valley Rieslings?

Hi FD!

The reisling is indeed produced by Rubicon Estates. This is the second year they're produced this wine, I think. It's part of the "Sofia" line of non-reds. Sofia wines also include a sparkling wine and a rose.

California reislings are very different from the German and Alsatian reislings - more citrus-y, less "sweet fruit"-y. Also, they tend to be more dry than most German reislings, although I've had some bone-dry German offerings. This one has 0.5% (according to the server) residual sugar - enough to cut the dry alcohol character but not enough to make it sweet. There are some off-dry (as in, rather sweet for MY taste) California reislings but I'm not really fond of those wines. If I wanted that kind of wine, I'd go for a German or Alsatian offering, or for a Vouvray instead.

Hi FD!

The reisling is indeed produced by Rubicon Estates. This is the second year they're produced this wine, I think. It's part of the "Sofia" line of non-reds. Sofia wines also include a sparkling wine and a rose.

California reislings are very different from the German and Alsatian reislings - more citrus-y, less "sweet fruit"-y. Also, they tend to be more dry than most German reislings, although I've had some bone-dry German offerings. This one has 0.5% (according to the server) residual sugar - enough to cut the dry alcohol character but not enough to make it sweet. There are some off-dry (as in, rather sweet for MY taste) California reislings but I'm not really fond of those wines. If I wanted that kind of wine, I'd go for a German or Alsatian offering, or for a Vouvray instead.

Sofia! I hope it's not like the movies produced by her daughter "Sofia", I don't get her movies. hehehe

well at least it was through Sofia Coppola that Scarlett Johansson was introduced to the world :rolleyes:

hmmm no wines named Scarlett around there, agxo? :thumbsupsmiley:

Hehehe. Actually, Scarlett was introduced in "the Horse Whisperer". Kate Bosworth of "Blue Crush" and "21" was also in that movie.

Sofia! I hope it's not like the movies produced by her daughter "Sofia", I don't get her movies. hehehe

:lol: Sofia is NOT a good filmmaker! But the Sofia wines are pretty good for what they are - lightweight, easy drinking wines. Not complex, not wines to put down and cellar - drink 'em NOW!

As you might know, Coppola split his winemaking opeations - Rubicon Estates (formerly Niebaum-Coppola and before that Inglenook) in Rutherford produces the upper end wines - Rubicon, Cask Cabernet, Captain's Reserve. And the Sofia wines which are kind of a anomaly. But Sofia is his daughter, after all......

The other half moved to Healdsburg in Sonoma County, the former site of Chateau Souverain. Nice place! Now called Rosso Bianco (or something like that....) it produces the more affordable wines - Director's Cut, Director's Reserve, what used to be the Diamond Series wines so named because the labels all featured a diamond-shaped design.

NO Scarlett wines, Storm, sorry! :blink: But the blanc de (du??) blanc is a very competent sparkler that works well for general everyday drinking. I wouldn't serve it for a special occasion, though. For that I'd go with a Schramsberg or Domaine Chandon (if going Californian), Veuve Cliquot or Perrier-Jouet if French. Or a not-so-common sparkling Vouvray! That would be nice.....

^^^agree the blanc de blancs is NOT for special occasions

like you, i like domaine chandon as well

although i think i love the food in their restaurant more than their wines

I used to like their restaurant but ever since Philippe Jeanty left to do his own thing (and that was MANY years ago!) it just doesn't seem the same. Of course, I haven't been there in years, too, and maybe they have a new chef?

For a CA sparkler, you might want to try the Brut or the Brut Rose from J in Healdsburg. Very nice. I used to belong to their wine club and I'd get a couple of bottles through the year and a magnum for the holidays.

Edited by agxo3

am new to red wine drinking... what is the best red wine you guys can recommend around the 400 to 600 peso level. Tried those 2++.++ ones and I did't really like them (again, I might have made the wrong choice in my selection coz like i said, i am a newbie).