Good! Hope to see you there. My brother will be there as well, but as far as I know there will be only TWO Pinoys pouring - him and me. I'm the older one - the old losing (lost???) his hair! ;)

Hey IB! Didn't see you @ Retzlaff today. Did you go to the Harvest Festival? I'll be around there tomorrow as well, but probably going wine tasting at a bunch of different wineries. Wood Family for sure. Les Chenes. Boaventuras. Maybe Deer Ridge. Possibly Rodrigue-Molyneaux. Going to pend a bit of time @ Retzlaff also.

I was supposed to be there today. Just had problems in the office and with some shipment that was supposed to go and that I would need in Frankfurt on Wednesday.

I'll try to be there tomorrow. I'm just pissed because the purchasing department just messed up my badly needed vacation and the trip there hehehe.

I'll look for you at Retzlaff tomorrow if I get to go. Good thing I have the 2 day pass.

hi bods, long time no see on this thread. just a "heads up" --- agxo, flying in. we're looking into some ventures. he floated the idea of wine trading. this is up your alley, my friend.

Wine trading....again?

Well, it's always like entering a cul-de-sac when you engage in wine trading here in Manila. But it's always worth a second look. Let's see what you and agxo have in mind. Cheers, pare, and regards to the family.

Bods - the only Basque wines I've found locally so far are all Txacoli (whites). No reds yet. Apparently there are some riojas and tempranillos. Gotta go find those. And have to do some research on the Web.

As Masi noted, I'm visiting the beginning of Dec. - going to talk to Masi investigating boing business there,but also interested in talking to you about wine importation and a couple of other things. Can you join the wine EB that Masiw ill set up? Then we can set aside a bit of time to talk!

Sure thing, agxo. And I hope your planned ventures with masi push through as I would sure like to see you here more often hehehe...My thoughts about wine trading here may now be a bit outmoded as I quit the thing almost 6 years ago but I sure am enthusiastic to share them with you..

oh no sir. not a wine-expert nor regular drinker, even.

i just found their selection ok, for my newbie taste buds.... :rolleyes:

that was just me, speaking.

but i do want to turn it into a habit, albeit a healthy one. :)

hopefully, in the next years to come, when i'd be more than able to afford even half-a-glass of the best that there is.

Hi!

You don't actually need tons of money to enjoy wine. You can buy a lot of good wines here without burning a hole in your pocket. The market is awash in reasonably-priced but enjoyable wines. Check out the Aussie wines here. And as masi said check out the decent outlets - Santi's, Terry's, Premiere Wine Exchange, Wine Depot

I was supposed to be there today. Just had problems in the office and with some shipment that was supposed to go and that I would need in Frankfurt on Wednesday.

I'll try to be there tomorrow. I'm just pissed because the purchasing department just messed up my badly needed vacation and the trip there hehehe.

I'll look for you at Retzlaff tomorrow if I get to go. Good thing I have the 2 day pass.

Didn't get to Retzlaff until around 330 this afternoon, but stayed until past closing chatting with the folks there. Spent a lot of time @ Charles R and Boaventuras earlier in the afternoon. Great wines at both places!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An American friend who is an avid wine enthusiast was in town for a couple of days. He brought with him some bottles of wines including:

Zind Humbrecht Muscat Golbert 2005 Grand Cru Alsace

Hanzell Pinot Noir 2006 Sonoma

Martinelli Pinot Noir 2007 Russian River Valley

Paired with Fried Pork Belly, BBQ beef ribs and steam tilapia with leeks and mushrooms.

All are exquisite wines for the price paid!

I'm not fond of white wine but the Muscat just got me!!!! While the Hanzel Pinot and Martinelli were also mind blowing and out of this world. Pinot Noir but worlds apart in character and flavors.

Dom Perignon just goes well with anything with me esp. if i don't know what i'd pair up with anything i eat

caviar, cheese, fruit yes but with heavy, gamey meats i really doubt it. but then again, why pair it with food when you can drink it all straight up!

but if it works for you, do as you please.

Visited Rubicon Estates (formerly known as Niebaum-Coppola; still owned by Francis Ford Coppola of "THe Godfather" fame) for the vinifera tour through the vineyards, followed by a tasting of Blancaneaux, Cask Cabernet, Rubicon and Edizione Pennino wines.

2006 Blancaneaux - "Blancaneaux" means white water in French. Appropriately, a Bordeaux style blend. Sauvignon blanc blended w/ 35% viognier. Perfumey (that's the viognier on the nose), steely, some citrus (Meyer lemon?) and light stone fruit on the palate. Maybe a hint of honeydew.

2005 Cask Cabernet - Wow! Ripe black fruits and berries, some smoke and tar from the barrels, plummy and jammy. Apricot? There's apricot hiding somewhere in there? Nice and getting nicer - drink now to 2015.

2000 Rubicon - Smooth, elegant. Well-rounded tannins (after 9 years what'd you expect?), fruit just coming forward. Ripe dark (but not black) cherries, some red raspberry. A hint of basil/cilantro/MINT? That's it! Mint!

2005 Rubicon - Where the cask was big bold and almost brutish, this is refined, smooth, cool calm and collected. Dark berries and ripe plums. A hint of cassis, smoooooooth tannins. We also did a side-by-side against the 2005 Cask. I personally liked the cask better, but I suspect in 3-5 years the Rubicon will open up and outshine the Cask.

2006 and 2007 Edizione Pennino - Coppola's premium zinfandel. Bold, bright red cherries, vanilla with a bit of leather and smoke (there are those barrels again!). Tannins with a bite but not harsh. The 2006 was a bit smoother, the 2007 fruitier.

We were there tasting for 2 hours! What a treat! And the most civilized tasting in the Napa Valley. Sit down; server brings you cheese and bread, water to cleanse and refresh your palate between tastes. Wines come, server talks about each wine, comes back talks to you some more about what you're tasting vs. his experiences tasting the same wine and related wines. Gotta go do THAT again soon with another group of friends.

Edited by agxo3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest lustfortravel
Angat ko lang.

Agxo is here. Wine EB on Thursday. PM me for details.

I hope you had a great time, storm. It was also nice to meet agxo over brunch with boomouse at serendra that weekend. :)

I hope you had a great time, storm. It was also nice to meet agxo over brunch with boomouse at serendra that weekend. :)

Yes we had a great time. Masi, Liberty, Bods and Agxo came. I could have joined you kaya lang have to finish something. See you next time. Happy holidays to all.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes we had a great time. Masi, Liberty, Bods and Agxo came. I could have joined you kaya lang have to finish something. See you next time. Happy holidays to all.

Thanks to all. Great wine EB. Brought a Wood Family 06 Grenache that unfolded very nicely after just a couple of minutes. I sent that pic to Rhonda (the winemaker) just to show her how far her wine traveled.

LFT, great to meet you! And nice to see Boomouse as well. He's got a great outlook on life. You're doing really good work - certainly more than I've been doing lately.......

Bods - PM me please. That idea is still percolating in the back of my head and you seemed to think it might have some potential.

• 3 weeks later...

Del Sol winery in Livermore had a sale on what they called their Oopsie! wine. It's a syrah that ended up slightly effervescent. The winemaker added a bit of juice towards the end of the fermentation but added a bit too much, so not all the sugar got consumed by the yeast, and then he compounded the error by not adding sulfates to stop the fermentation.

The result after it was bottled? Slightly fizzy syrah. Not as bubbly as a traditional sparkling wine, not even as bubbly as a lambrusco, but it has a slight tang from the carbonation and a slight tickle to the nose from the bubbles. Great fruit - the result of the extra juice. And it's light and friendly - I wouldn't class it as great wine but with cheese and some fruit it's great, or with a barbecued meat such as Pinoy-style pork BBQ, or even with a rice roast chicken.

The cost? $5/btl or $50/case. Bought a case to split with my daughter. Can't beat that deal! ;D

Hello.

Relatively recently a friend of mine let me taste chateau margaux and Bordeaux and i must say that i enjoyed it upto the last drop.

Anybody familiar with these wines? I was told these are above the average prices of wine, just like how much? What other french wines are as good or better?

Interested to learn other people's experiences.

Hello.

Relatively recently a friend of mine let me taste chateau margaux and Bordeaux and i must say that i enjoyed it upto the last drop.

Anybody familiar with these wines? I was told these are above the average prices of wine, just like how much? What other french wines are as good or better?

Interested to learn other people's experiences.

depends on the year (vintage).... Price range is P15k up....

• 3 weeks later...

Dinner tonight was rib-eye steaks (my brother's contribution), artichokes, baked potatoes (I had baked camote).....and a 1966 Chateau Leoville Las Cases. From Bordeaux. WOW!!! Let me repeat..... WOW!!!

post-33551-1266124306.jpg

Loads of fruit - plums, black fruit (black cherries and black raspberries). A hint of tar on the finish. Licorice. Looooooong finish. Remarkably fresh tasting despite its age. Well-moderated (but still present) tannins. This could have gone another 6 years easy!!! I wish I'd kept it to 2016!

Up next - a 1975 Lynch-Bages. Wonder when I'll open that..........

And today was a great wine day. Started out with oysters, BBQ'ed tri-tip and zinfandel @ Retzlaff. Noah was tasting the two barrels (about 50 cases) of 2008 zins from Lake County (above Lake Berryessa). Also tasting the 2007 zins. Who knew how well zins and oysters go together? Well, Noah knew!!!

Then on to Wood Family for a barrel tasting of the 2008 Grenache. Masi, Bods and Storm know about this winery - I brought the '06 for tasting the last time I visited Manila.

Finally, a stop at Rodrigue-Molyneaux.

Now finishing up the last of the '66 before moving on to dessert and a '97 Late Harvest Chardonnay from Audubon Vineyards.

I'll sleep well tonight.

post-33551-1266124312.jpg

Edited by agxo3
  • 2 weeks later...

This is wine event season here.......

Friday, the annual Petite Sirah tasting at Rock Wall winery (Ken Rosenblum's new winery after he sold Rosenblum Wines). 41 wineries and over 50 different Petite Sirahs to taste. All paired with food supplied by some of the best restaurants in the Bay Area. Didn't get to taste all of them ;( but the ones I did were memorable. One of the best - a 5 year vertical (2003-2007) from Twisted Oak. 04 was the best, followed by 07. The 04 and 05 very VERY tight and will take a few years of bottle time before they open up and are ready to drink.

Saturday, the SF Chronicle Annual Wine Contest winners tasting event in SF. Wine, wine and MORE wine. In 3 hours, got through about half the hall, and all I tasted were the gold and double gold winners! Way too many wines, way too little time.

Coming up in March, Sonona County winery crawl........