am new to red wine drinking... what is the best red wine you guys can recommend around the 400 to 600 peso level. Tried those 2++.++ ones and I did't really like them (again, I might have made the wrong choice in my selection coz like i said, i am a newbie).

Depends on your taste. Hard for me to say since I'm in CA, not Manila, but I would guess the Australian and New Zealand wines would be a good place to start. Is YellowTail available there? That's always a decent low to mid-priced wine. Not one to cellar, but certainly very drinkable now.

I personally like charbono, carmenet, cabernet sauvignon, pinot nor, syrah and petit syrah, depending on what I'm eating. Not too much of a fan of malbecs, although I've had some good ones. Zinfandels have to be in a certain style for me to like them.

But then again, I'm biased - I have easy access to all that California has to offer and that alone is more than I can taste and enjoy in several lifetimes.

Depends on your taste. Hard for me to say since I'm in CA, not Manila, but I would guess the Australian and New Zealand wines would be a good place to start. Is YellowTail available there? That's always a decent low to mid-priced wine. Not one to cellar, but certainly very drinkable now.

I personally like charbono, carmenet, cabernet sauvignon, pinot nor, syrah and petit syrah, depending on what I'm eating. Not too much of a fan of malbecs, although I've had some good ones. Zinfandels have to be in a certain style for me to like them.

But then again, I'm biased - I have easy access to all that California has to offer and that alone is more than I can taste and enjoy in several lifetimes.

Yellowtail is available at around 375 to 400. Their marketing strategy is to move away from the traditional naming of wines and concentrate instead on delivering a drink that people will enjoy for a good price. Well for it's price, it's a good drink everyday wine.

OT: Bods, finally got to try Omakase in Casa Susana - Great sushi - omakase sutairu! Food is way way WAY much better than Wasabi.

Yellowtail is available at around 375 to 400. Their marketing strategy is to move away from the traditional naming of wines and concentrate instead on delivering a drink that people will enjoy for a good price. Well for it's price, it's a good drink everyday wine.

OT: Bods, finally got to try Omakase in Casa Susana - Great sushi - omakase sutairu! Food is way way WAY much better than Wasabi.

Nothing wrong with naming the wines in a different way, but since the flavors, body and nose of the wine are affected by, and in turn affect, the flavors and aromas of the food you are eating with the wine you are drinking, then it's a good idea to give the drinker/eater some idea of what to expect. In that respect, noting somewhere on the label the varietal (plural if it's a blend) is most helpful.

Wouldn't be the best experience to try to match a smooth, well-aged cabernet sauvignon with well-integrated tannins and loads of black cherries and plums with, say, a slightly spicy, slightly vinegary smoked pork shoulder with a Carolina-style BBQ sauce. Just wouldn't go well together. Or to try to match a light, bright grenache with bing cherries and red raspberries on the palate against a medium-rare steak au poivre with crumbled blue cheese. Flip those two pairings, OTOH, and you have a match made in heaven!

I'm not a big fan of drinking wine in isolation. Good wine is meant to be enjoyed with food, and even more, is an experience best shared with good friends.

Hehehe. Actually, Scarlett was introduced in "the Horse Whisperer". Kate Bosworth of "Blue Crush" and "21" was also in that movie.

you do know your movies, pareng storm, hehe but I would like to think that it was in LOST IN TRANSLATION that the world took notice of Scarlett.

But I would agree that Sofia the director is also some kind of an anomaly (but why the heck was she nominated as Best Director for LOST?). I wish that some distributor here gets to sell Coppola's wines in Manila - kahit man lang yung mga low-end wines nya which I'm sure would still be much better than some of the bottled swill here masquerading as wine...

thanks! Sana nagkita na tayo.. Am in Alabang only on Sundays. PM me your number just in case.

Yellow Tail I agree is one of the better-valued wines here. For the budget, may I add the Cawarrra from Lindemans, the Wolf Blass Bin series, Veramonte etc. If really scrimping, the Two Oceans can get you through those lonely nights thinking of South Africa while drifting off to sleep :upside:

Wine is definitely more enjoyable with food as long as you get the right combination but drinking and eating with your lesser-knowledgeable buddies is always a rollercoaster ride here :lol: You go from the sublime to the goofy with all those pairings. OTOH having wine with food in restaurants can always be a daunting experience here with the lack of sommeliers or just some trusty resto personnel giving sensible food/wine advice instead of just selling whatever wine they have.

thanks! Sana nagkita na tayo.. Am in Alabang only on Sundays. PM me your number just in case.

Yellow Tail I agree is one of the better-valued wines here. For the budget, may I add the Cawarrra from Lindemans, the Wolf Blass Bin series, Veramonte etc. If really scrimping, the Two Oceans can get you through those lonely nights thinking of South Africa while drifting off to sleep :upside:

Wine is definitely more enjoyable with food as long as you get the right combination but drinking and eating with your lesser-knowledgeable buddies is always a rollercoaster ride here :lol: You go from the sublime to the goofy with all those pairings. OTOH having wine with food in restaurants can always be a daunting experience here with the lack of sommeliers or just some trusty resto personnel giving sensible food/wine advice instead of just selling whatever wine they have.

I see Wolf Blass out here, along with YellowTail and a bunch of other Aussie wines. A number of them verge on the high end - some Coonawara wines, for example, and Penfolds. Overall, Aussie wines seem like a competent bunch of wines, and some are really quite good. One of these days I'll tire of the California wines (yeah, right! don't hold your breath for that!) and get to know the wine regions and the wines of Australia. But until then - I'll depend on you guys for recommendations whenever I want a wine from down under.

Spring has sprung, weather is warming up - I feel a BBQ event coming up soon! Recommendations for Aussie wines that would go with BBQ pork ribs and tri-tip? Not necessarily the same wine - in fact, I can't think of one that would go with both meats, but that's not a problem! There will be enough people eating and drinking that we can stand more than one wine for each meat.

I see Wolf Blass out here, along with YellowTail and a bunch of other Aussie wines. A number of them verge on the high end - some Coonawara wines, for example, and Penfolds. Overall, Aussie wines seem like a competent bunch of wines, and some are really quite good. One of these days I'll tire of the California wines (yeah, right! don't hold your breath for that!) and get to know the wine regions and the wines of Australia. But until then - I'll depend on you guys for recommendations whenever I want a wine from down under.

Spring has sprung, weather is warming up - I feel a BBQ event coming up soon! Recommendations for Aussie wines that would go with BBQ pork ribs and tri-tip? Not necessarily the same wine - in fact, I can't think of one that would go with both meats, but that's not a problem! There will be enough people eating and drinking that we can stand more than one wine for each meat.

Most of the Aussie wines we get here are from the Shiraz variety, and some Cab sauv and merlot. I think the shiraz would go well with the bbq sauce, specially if it's on the spicy side. I'd go with a monkey bay sauv blanc and slow roasted BBQ on a hot day also.

Most of the Aussie wines we get here are from the Shiraz variety, and some Cab sauv and merlot. I think the shiraz would go well with the bbq sauce, specially if it's on the spicy side. I'd go with a monkey bay sauv blanc and slow roasted BBQ on a hot day also.

Hmmmmm.....I would not have thought of syrah with a spicy, vinegary sauce. The sauvignon blanc, maybe. Syrah with the tri-tip - now THAT sounds good!

We had "1999" California Bordeux Blend wines last night hosted by a good friend from college. Masi was there. Liberty and Mrs. Storm were there too. Masi and Liberty came in late so they missed the first bottle, a JARVIS Lake William. The next bottle was a De Lorimier Mosaic Meritage Alexander Valley. The third bottle was a St. Clement Oroppas (very complex). We had a great night reminiscing the past. Liberty and our host were office-mates.

Past midnight, the conversation went about Pinot Noir and our dear host brought out a Ponzi Willamette Valley Pinot Noir from Oregon. It was great (Mrs Storm loved it) though we're no expert. What a bottle to end the wonderful evening at 2 am.

Paging Mr. Agxo.

Today was barrel tasting day in Livermore - 22 wineries were tasting wines out of the barrel - that is, the wines that were not yet ready for bottling, and needed some aging. It's really interesting to see what the wine is like before it goes into the barrel, and to go back later when the wine is released to taste it once again and see just how it's changed.

We only stopped by 7 wineries - Charles R, Wood Family, Les Chenes, Retzlaff, Rodrigue-Molyneaux and Deer Ridge.

Charles R was tasting the 2007 Syrah from grapes grown on their property. And for comparison, the 2006 was available as well. You can tell the consistency in flavors and style, but I think the 06 will age better thant he 07. The 07 does not have the same tannic structure, has a creosote edge on the back end, and has jammy fruit instead of clear notes like the 06.

At Wood Family, we tasted an 07 cabernet franc out of two different barrels. Same wine, but one barrel was new French (Vosges) oak, and the other a year-old neutral barrel. What a difference! the new Frnech oak was big, bold, tannic and smoky - but with all the bright red cherries that cab franc is known for. The neutral oak was much more subdued and rounded, with more integrated tannins. They wil be blending the two when they bottle and release the wine.

At Les Chenes, another syrah Again an 07 in the barrel and an 06 in the bottle. Both much more austere and tannic than at Charles R. I liked the Charles R wines better - I thought they had more fruit and more life.

Steven Kent had an two cabs - an 07 and an 08. AND an 07 petit verdot. Most memorable was the petit verdot. Normally a blending wine for cabs and bordeaux-style wines, this one stood out all on its own. Bright red fruit, smooth tannins, a hint of smoke. And I thought there was a bit of candied orange peel, which while unusual was more pleasant than disturbing.

At Retzlaff - wines I had tasted before - the 08 cabernet sauvignon and the merlot. 2 months does make a difference. The cab had much better integrated flavors, with the plums and black fruit coming forward and the tannins rounding out a bit. The merlot was a merlot - good but not exciting.

Not much to say about Rodrigue-Molyneaux - a bit of wine fatigue setting in. I usualy like thier wines but today I just could not get into them...... :(

Finally Deer Ridge. Tasted an 08 cab. Smooth, bold fruit, tannins just beginning to build. Wonder what it will be like in 6 months. They also had a chocolate port they were tasting - and were sold out of. They're bottling more tonight. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow to pick up a bottle or two.

I'm tired - a nice day but my neck's been hurting (must be all that stress at work) and now it's really annoying me. Time to go get some rest........

Edited by agxo3
Pareng Storm and Mrs. Storm... Thanks for the invite! I would have missed the great company and the fine wines.

Your welcome pare. Enjoyed the pleasure of your company and the stories. :lol: Wine EB tayo ulit.

Haneps ang event ni bos agxo! :thumbsupsmiley:

Your welcome pare. Enjoyed the pleasure of your company and the stories. :lol: Wine EB tayo ulit.

Haneps ang event ni bos agxo! :thumbsupsmiley:

But wait, there's more!!!

------------------

Hola foodies and wineaux! Right on the heels of the barrel tasting yesterday, I took my brother for his birthday dinner tonight. It was the monthly vintners dinner at the Essanay Cafe in the Niles area of Fremont. (For the uninitiated, Niles was where Charlie Chaplin and Bronco Billy started their movie careers. Hollywood was an afterthought. The movie studio was the Essanay Studio.)

The wines were supplied by Becky Bloomfield of Bloomfield Winery in Brentwood.

Menu and notes:

First

Smoked Rainbow Trout

Russian banana fingerling potatoes, horseradish crème fraîche

Wine Pairing - Pinot Grigio

The pinot had mineral notes and a very dry finish. Perfect for the smokiness of the trout (smoked for 4 hours that morning!). Horseradish creme fraiche had just enough forseradish to give it a slight kick, but not enough to clean out your sinuses - and the slate and stone characteristics of the pinot grigio was a good complement.

Second

Stuffed Pimento Peppers

Goat cheese, Dungeness crab, sambal

Wine Pairing - Viognier

"Sambal" in this case was highlighted by Thai chili peppers. A nice hot, spicy edge to go with the creaminess of the goat cheese and crab. The fruitiness of the viognier set off the spiciness of the Thai peppers. Apricots and peaches out front. Toasted almonds on the finish - nice!

Third

Savory Citrus Salad

Carmelized blood orange, dandelion, pancetta, creamy Meyer lemon dressing

Wine Pairing - Chardonnay

Light on the blood orange, which I though was a shame - blood orange is one of my favorite flavors. The chardonnay had no malolactic fermentation, and aged for only a few months in neutral oak, so it wasn't the typical California chardonnay with oak, vanilla, butter, toast. Instead, it was citrus (white grapefruit, tangerine), tart nectarines, a hint of vanilla and a creamy texture.

Fourth

Grilled Lamb Chop

Creamy polenta, carrots vichy mint oil

Wine Pairing - Pinot noir

Lamb and pinot noir - what else could you ask for? Perfectly medium rare, a hint of mint oil to balance the meaty flavors. Bright cherry and red raspberry flavors in the pinot. Not a hint of the barnyard (yay!). A touch of smoke from the oak. I bought yet another bottle of this wine!

Fifth

Osso Buco alla Milanese

Braised cannelloni beans, gremolata, puree of Jerusalem artichoke

Wine Pairing - Syrah

A bit of a letdown, but still very nice. No bone! No marrow to pick out! What??? Oh well, hearty and flavorful (okay, the marrow was extracted and went into the sauce....). A perfect foil to the smooth, silky, robust syrah. Great dark fruit backed by smooth tannins. A touch of apricot hiding in the back - a nice little surprise...

Sixth

Strawberries and Cream

Wine Pairing - Sauvignon Blanc

A napoleon, really. Layers of crisp pastry with a very nice whipped cream, topped by fresh sliced strawberries. A surprise to pair it with a sauvignon blanc. The grassy herb-y characteristics played off the sweet cream, though. Not bad, but I night have chosen something else to pair with the cream.

Three hours of good food and good wine - a nice way to end the weekend, even if my neck is killing me!!!

But wait, there's more!!!

------------------

Hola foodies and wineaux! Right on the heels of the barrel tasting yesterday, I took my brother for his birthday dinner tonight. It was the monthly vintners dinner at the Essanay Cafe in the Niles area of Fremont. (For the uninitiated, Niles was where Charlie Chaplin and Bronco Billy started their movie careers. Hollywood was an afterthought. The movie studio was the Essanay Studio.)

The wines were supplied by Becky Bloomfield of Bloomfield Winery in Brentwood.

Menu and notes:

First

Smoked Rainbow Trout

Russian banana fingerling potatoes, horseradish crème fraîche

Wine Pairing - Pinot Grigio

The pinot had mineral notes and a very dry finish. Perfect for the smokiness of the trout (smoked for 4 hours that morning!). Horseradish creme fraiche had just enough forseradish to give it a slight kick, but not enough to clean out your sinuses - and the slate and stone characteristics of the pinot grigio was a good complement.

Second

Stuffed Pimento Peppers

Goat cheese, Dungeness crab, sambal

Wine Pairing - Viognier

"Sambal" in this case was highlighted by Thai chili peppers. A nice hot, spicy edge to go with the creaminess of the goat cheese and crab. The fruitiness of the viognier set off the spiciness of the Thai peppers. Apricots and peaches out front. Toasted almonds on the finish - nice!

Third

Savory Citrus Salad

Carmelized blood orange, dandelion, pancetta, creamy Meyer lemon dressing

Wine Pairing - Chardonnay

Light on the blood orange, which I though was a shame - blood orange is one of my favorite flavors. The chardonnay had no malolactic fermentation, and aged for only a few months in neutral oak, so it wasn't the typical California chardonnay with oak, vanilla, butter, toast. Instead, it was citrus (white grapefruit, tangerine), tart nectarines, a hint of vanilla and a creamy texture.

Fourth

Grilled Lamb Chop

Creamy polenta, carrots vichy mint oil

Wine Pairing - Pinot noir

Lamb and pinot noir - what else could you ask for? Perfectly medium rare, a hint of mint oil to balance the meaty flavors. Bright cherry and red raspberry flavors in the pinot. Not a hint of the barnyard (yay!). A touch of smoke from the oak. I bought yet another bottle of this wine!

Fifth

Osso Buco alla Milanese

Braised cannelloni beans, gremolata, puree of Jerusalem artichoke

Wine Pairing - Syrah

A bit of a letdown, but still very nice. No bone! No marrow to pick out! What??? Oh well, hearty and flavorful (okay, the marrow was extracted and went into the sauce....). A perfect foil to the smooth, silky, robust syrah. Great dark fruit backed by smooth tannins. A touch of apricot hiding in the back - a nice little surprise...

Sixth

Strawberries and Cream

Wine Pairing - Sauvignon Blanc

A napoleon, really. Layers of crisp pastry with a very nice whipped cream, topped by fresh sliced strawberries. A surprise to pair it with a sauvignon blanc. The grassy herb-y characteristics played off the sweet cream, though. Not bad, but I night have chosen something else to pair with the cream.

Three hours of good food and good wine - a nice way to end the weekend, even if my neck is killing me!!!

Wow! I can taste the pairings from your notes!

The Pinot noir wasn't overpowered by the lamb and mint? Must be a very good noir.

Thanks!

We had "1999" California Bordeux Blend wines last night hosted by a good friend from college. Masi was there. Liberty and Mrs. Storm were there too. Masi and Liberty came in late so they missed the first bottle, a JARVIS Lake William. The next bottle was a De Lorimier Mosaic Meritage Alexander Valley. The third bottle was a St. Clement Oroppas (very complex). We had a great night reminiscing the past. Liberty and our host were office-mates.

Past midnight, the conversation went about Pinot Noir and our dear host brought out a Ponzi Willamette Valley Pinot Noir from Oregon. It was great (Mrs Storm loved it) though we're no expert. What a bottle to end the wonderful evening at 2 am.

Paging Mr. Agxo.

The only wine you had that I am familiar with is the St. Clement Oroppas. (Oroppas is Sapporo spelled backwards - a Japanese firm bought St. Clement some time ago and renamed its top end wine.)

The typical Orpppas has great black fruit flavors, loads of smooth tannins and layers and layers of flavors, ending in a slight hint of sweet tobacco and dark chocolate, and a hint of smoke/toast from the oak.

Alexander Valley is to the east of Healdsburg in Sonoma County. It gets hot out there in the summer, but the nights are cool with some fog forming in the lower elevations. Great for syrahs, zins and some cab andmerlot. would be interesting to see what went into that meritage.

Jarvis Lake William? Don't know that one. Will have to go find a bottle to taste!

Oregon is gaining fame for its pinot noirs. The Willamette Valley had a climate very much like Burgundy in France so the French have been setting up shop out that way. Drouhin among others produces a very nice Oregon pinot noir, but I am finding some very, very nice examples of pinot from my local area as well!

hi everyone - just curious where do you guys drink wine?

Usually at some get-together at friends' houses...

pare I read some post of yours regarding Coltrane. Mahilig ka sa jazz?

One time we had some drinking session in a member's place - puro jazz pinatugtog namin. Dave Holland, mostly ECM discs. Paging 16track hehehe.

hi everyone - just curious where do you guys drink wine?

Whenever and wherever I can..... ;)

Today, for example, is wine day at work! Late in the afternoon, when everything is winding down, a small group of us get together to sit, sip, chat and otherwise unwind from the long, trying, discouraging week.

I (and others) bring in some wine - sometimes tried and true old standbys, sometimes wines we know nothing about and want to taste, others bring in some snacks.

I usually have a glass or two with dinner, even at home. And every now and then, some of us friends gather just to sit around, bond, and sip some GOOD wine - one of us hosts.

Then there's the Vino y Vida wine bar down the hill from me. Audrey (the owner) has good taste in wines so we meet there sometimes.

Usually at some get-together at friends' houses...

pare I read some post of yours regarding Coltrane. Mahilig ka sa jazz?

One time we had some drinking session in a member's place - puro jazz pinatugtog namin. Dave Holland, mostly ECM discs. Paging 16track hehehe.

wow that sounds like fun.

yup i like jazz - usually I listen to my jazz playlist when I'm working and I want a more mellow/controlled pace

Then there's the Vino y Vida wine bar down the hill from me. Audrey (the owner) has good taste in wines so we meet there sometimes

where is Vino y Vida?