hello everyone. i recently was able to taste an italian wine called badia a passignano which i liked. can anyone explain what a chianti is?

Am not that familiar with chianti. When I hear chianti, all that I can recall is a quote from Hannibal Lecter in THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS : A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti :sick:

cheers!~.

sensei is Japanese word for "master" or "teacher"!

nothing much happened, no new corks on V-Day. i deliberately avoided anything flirtatious and seductive as i was drinking the whole week being my Japanese partner was in town! had to rest the kidneys and liver!

we need to get together someday. missed the stories, the wines and the company!

so it's just a word - it could be factual or fictitious, more on the latter as I cannot imagine myself as a "master" or "teacher" to you hahaha. Mahina ang wine tasting ko, not like you who can translate a certain nuance in taste to a specific organic thing. Alam mo naman pare, I just drink..

yes same here. there was some children's party on that day (of all things!). There were wines too but they were of the generic Bordeaux type. Nothing to write home about :lol:

Kelan nga ba pare? When are you free?

pareng bods, di ba feta cheese ang goat's cheese? i had the opportunity to try it, the executive chef of one of the hotels in Manila was unwinding in the hotel bar where liberty and i were enjoying our own martinis. the chef and i had a conversation on wines, martinis and other liquor. he was buying liberty and i another round but we were wasted. when we got to our room, after signing the bill, the front office called us asking us if we would accept a night cap from the executive chef, which of course we accepted. a full platter of various cheese, fresh and dried fruits came together with 2 glasses of red wine.

feta cheese like lamb or goat meat has that characteristic smell and taste!

ayun in the morning i had a hang over due to a toxic mix of gin, fruits, and wine!!!!!

yes I think it is feta cheese. I usually see it in certain 5-cheese pizzas - I don't know if it's that white, crumbly cheese, like chalk powder, sprinkled on the outermost layer although it could be that because it has that strong taste and smell. It is however very good, but taken only in small quantities, and taken more as an accent, and not as the main event!

It is said that goat milk, and could be goat cheese, has a lot of antioxidants. I read in a book that the centenarians in Sardinia has goat milk as a staple ... Now who's going with me to retire and spend the rest of our lifetime as shepherds in that southern Italian island? hehehe...

so it's just a word - it could be factual or fictitious, more on the latter as I cannot imagine myself as a "master" or "teacher" to you hahaha. Mahina ang wine tasting ko, not like you who can translate a certain nuance in taste to a specific organic thing. Alam mo naman pare, I just drink..

yes same here. there was some children's party on that day (of all things!). There were wines too but they were of the generic Bordeaux type. Nothing to write home about :lol:

Kelan nga ba pare? When are you free?

Let's schedule something next week. Matagal na rin kasi akong hindi umiinom e... puro beer lang!

yes I think it is feta cheese. I usually see it in certain 5-cheese pizzas - I don't know if it's that white, crumbly cheese, like chalk powder, sprinkled on the outermost layer although it could be that because it has that strong taste and smell. It is however very good, but taken only in small quantities, and taken more as an accent, and not as the main event!

It is said that goat milk, and could be goat cheese, has a lot of antioxidants. I read in a book that the centenarians in Sardinia has goat milk as a staple ... Now who's going with me to retire and spend the rest of our lifetime as shepherds in that southern Italian island? hehehe...

pare ko, I prefer Northern Italy than the south and I can be a shepherd of a different herd.... hehhehehe. ako naman iba ang nabasa ko... na ang digestive system ng kambing is similar to that of a human being?! beginning with the set of teeth. plus, goat milk is more easily digested by our system rather than cows milk.

now that explains it.... I grew up and upto now still drink cow's milk...... mmmmmoooooooooo!

Edited by masi
Let's schedule something next week. Matagal na rin kasi akong hindi umiinom e... puro beer lang!

pare ko, I prefer Northern Italy than the south and I can be a shepherd of a different herd.... hehhehehe. ako naman iba ang nabasa ko... na ang digestive system ng kambing is similar to that of a human being?! beginning with the set of teeth. plus, goat milk is more easily digested by our system rather than cows milk.

now that explains it.... I grew up and upto now still drink cow's milk...... mmmmmoooooooooo!

Northern Italy? Milan then, but I'm not sure what we can herd there....hehehe.

That goat info you shared is very interesting. Goatherd then? :lol:

pare just give me an sms. Am usually free Mondays and Tuesdays...we can meet outside, and beer would also be okay. Barcino's should be good - may wine talaga, and I miss the pulpos there hehehe

Chianti is a wine from the Chianti region in Tuscany (northern Italy).

It's made mostly from Sangiovese grapes, with Canaiolo and Malvasia Bianca grapes. It's a fairly easy to drink wine. There are several grades, from the regular (and inexpensive) table wine versions, to the higher end "Superiore" ones.

Hope this simple explanation helps. I'm sure Agxo would be more be able to give a better one.

Matagal akong nawala dito.........

a couple of notes - goat cheese is typically called - chevre. I'm lucky that we have a relatively local area that has a lot of really good cheesemakers, and they all make great goat cheese. Point Reyes, Pescadero, and other areas locally. I even have an acquaintance whose wife is a great cheesemaker! I buy her cheese at the SF Ferry Building when I get a chance to go up there on a Saturday. Hmmmm- maybe i'll go this weekend!

FD is right - Chianti is a wine region. IN Italy, as in France, wines are generally referred to by their region, not their varietal. Most of the Chianti grapes are sangiovese, but as noted there are others grown there as well. I've had a couple that were cab sauv based. Italian wines do have different levels but I'm not the Italian wine expert here. I'm more into California wines since that's what's local to me.

On that note - went to Retzlaff last weekend and ended up buying some of their futures after tasting form the barrel. The 2008 cabs will be awesome, and the chardonnay! So, a case of each, which got me - for free! - a half case of the 2002 cab. Noah is back at the winery, maing his zins again. The 2007 was not the best he's made, but it wasn't bad.

Then we went over to Wood Family - 2005 syrah -WOW! Big, bold, meaty texture, black berries and cherries, a hint of smoke and leather, 'shrooms with a base of plum and a hint of raisin. Their grenache wasn't bad, either! Bought a few bottles.

Thomas Coyne (better living thorugh chemistry!) was doing a "bottle your own" event, so I tried it and bought a few bottles. AT $5, not bad for a drink now, "nothing special just a red to go with the pork chops" kinda wine.

Boaventuras Caires was open - as usual, their wines were superb. They ran out of my favorite, though, so I will have to wait until the next release. :(

AND - I went to a wine store in SF (The Wine House) where I found thier "Vegas Special". When they need space in their warehouse, they gather all the end of the vintage cases they have and stack them red, whie and rose. For $25, they go back pick up a case from the pile you choose. That's it! $25 for a random case of wine. So I tried it - got a Beaujolais (not a novoeau!). Mostly grenache, from what I can tell. Relatively light and fruity. Bright red cherries with a hint of strawberry on the finish. Light, sweet tannins. A great alternative to a rose for a summer picinic wine. What a bargain!

With the current conditions at work, no chance to travel, so no side tri[ps to Manila. Too bad - I was really looking forward to droppy by there soon! Oh, well.......

Feta is a Greek-style cheese very similar to our kesong puti. A bit saltier and moister than most cheese. Here a good substitute, in fact, so much so that I use it when we buy bibinka mix and fire up the oven.

It is usually sheeps milk, not goat, but I've had it made from goat, sheep and cow's milk. I like the sheep's milk versions the best. More like kesong puti.

Goat cheese does have a very characteristic flavor, but if you get a good one it's unbeatable. Next time one of you is here, let me know. I'll take you to some places where we can get a great sampling of local goat cheeses for a light snack with some wine to wash it down.

Am back...just for wine talk though but I wonder if everyone's still out there? Same old people?

hi!

how do you say "welcome back" in Icelandic, or whatever their language is :flowers:

Kwento naman jan! For starters, sino kasali dun sa Reykjavik Jazz Fest? hehehe

....and nope, we're not the same old people - we're just older :upside:

cheers! tell us about Viking wine, if there are any...

sino bang gustong makatikim ng Two Buck Chuck red dito?

The first lucky three who PM me will get a bottle each for a free taste test!

No horse crap here!!!

--GK--

Don't bother - sorry, but Two Buck Chuck (aka Charles Shaw) is a wine that Bronco wines bottles and sells. But - it's a blend of whatever they can get their hands onthat's cheap - as in, no one else wants it and it eight goes to Two Buck Chuck or gets made into fertilizer. Yes, that bad. Wasn't bad inthe beginning - in fact, the early (2000 ?) releases were decent drinkers. At that time there was a glut of wine on the CA wine market, and even to-end wines were being dumped. It was a result of the boom in vineyard acreage in CA and all those Internet millionaires deciding their real avocation was winemaking.

Now - it's crap. Sorry......

sino bang gustong makatikim ng Two Buck Chuck red dito?

The first lucky three who PM me will get a bottle each for a free taste test!

No horse crap here!!!

--GK--

Instead of Two Buck Chuck you might want to try the Cameron Hughes wines that are almost exclusively at Costco. Some are beginning to show up at Cost Plus World markets as well.

Not $2 a bottle - more like $6+ - but much, much better.

Mga Boss,

Regarding goat cheese, you may want to try going to any of the sprouting organic markets in the city. Goat cheese, carabao cheese, etc. are quite available in these places. Some are not flavored, meaning as natural as it can get. Some come in with some garlic, chives, etc.

And the best part is, I think it comes out cheaper than if you bought it in a store.

Just my observation.

There's lots of baaaaaaad wine out there, but for the same price, there's also lots of good wine!

Lancer's, Riunite, Novellino, Charles Shaw, Thunderbird, Ripple, Night Train, Boone's Farm, Mogen David 20-20, Blue Nun - all the highly commercialized "grape juice with alcohol" beverages (wouldn't really call them wines) are there only for the alcohol they contain.

Then again, there are all the (quite good!) Oz and NZ wines, the lesser-known French and Italian producers, and (lucky me!) the countless California producers who all make good to great reasonably priced wines. Even Costco's brand (Kirkland) is better than the cheapie crap.

March 15 is Rubicon release day! NO release "cocktail" party this year, but they're pouring in the members lounge (I have MY reservations....) and they are doing a $70 (!!) vertical of 3 previous vintages plus the new release. Can't wait to try the 2005! 2004 was pretty good, but the 2003 is so far the vintage of the decade for me. Not as good as the '99 or even the '95, but the '90s were an exceptional decade for Napa cabs.

Edited by agxo3

Went exploring yesterday - in Brentwood, a small town in east Contra Costa county. Used to be purely farming country subt in the past decade lots of new housing development. Too bad, since a lot of the orchards have been uprooted to make room for cookie cutter houses.

Stopped by a tasting room on 1st st., and found Becky Bloomfield, owner of Bloomfield Vineyards haning out. So we tasted her wines, and chatted a bit. I ended up tasting 5 of her wines - a viognier, 2 chardonnays ('06 and '07), a syrah, and a pinot noir. Viognier - floral, perfumey, fruity, melon/honeydew, very light citrus, light oak. Just okay, IMO, but then again I am NOT a viognier fan. I liked the chards - very little oak, no malolactic (second) fermentation, so no butter and vanilla. Very light toast. Bright, lemon-y, candy-sugar note. Popcorn (not buttered popcorn) in the '07. Syrah was nice - big, bold, dense, high alcohol (15.9%), but in the end, not memorable. The pinot was very nice - light, delicate, just a touch unrestrained but no barnyard, bright cherries and other red berries, a hint of smoke. Layered with a bit of coffee and dark, dark chocolate.

Ended up buying the '06 chard and the pinot. Not bad for an afternoon of just goofing off.

Had dinner at a local restaurant. very nice for the location, but not a destination. But we'll be back - Brentwood still has a lot of orchards, and cherries will be coming in beginning in May.

Wow cherries. One of the things I missed.

Attended some art openings. There are some exhibits where they served "good" wines for my taste like Montes (Chile), Penfolds Rawson's Retreat, Tyrell, Yellow Tail, Behrenger, Los Boldos and Wolf Blass.

Looks like the art openings are catching on. Down with the usual swill they serve! Interesting wines now. Los Boldos, Tyrell, Wolf Blass, etc are quite good value wines and eminently drinkable.

Ok this has nothing to do with wine. I've been watching this show THREE SHEETS on Travel and Living and it was only last Monday that i got to learn what XO, VSOP, and VS mean hehehe. In the host's foray into cognac country in France, he got on to explain that XO means Extra Old (at least 6 years aged), VSOP Very Special Old Pale (at least 4 years) and VS Very Special (at least 2 years). VS naturally is the one used in mixed drinks. Not too old to learn something new, ok hehehe.

For those curious what Three Sheets means, it is a slang term (maritime lingo, in fact) to denote being royally and riproaringly drunk :sick:

cheers! and when drinking, try not to get to that point of hoisting three sails...

this is my first post in this thread. :)

try this new tapas bar i tried the other weekend - ok sya! its called Hermano's, theyre in ortigas home depot area, lapit sa J-Jay's.

they serve not only a good wine (french wine, california wine, others), but also imported beers (heineken, guinness, tsing tao, etc) and sarap ng pulutan nila.

medyo pricey sya compared to the other bars there, so medyo pang hi end drinkers talaga sila. :) also great for business meetings and such.

nice to see some activity in this thread. i have to admit that i have been too out-of-touch with wines. my most recent wine moments were with a Nobilo 2004 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and Vilarnau Brut Cava.

as for the notes, i had a cold so my nose was runny. one thing i could remember was the headached the following day.

i'm really not into whites except for a blonde or a brunette! :wacko:

Edited by masi
Looks like the art openings are catching on. Down with the usual swill they serve! Interesting wines now. Los Boldos, Tyrell, Wolf Blass, etc are quite good value wines and eminently drinkable.

Ok this has nothing to do with wine. I've been watching this show THREE SHEETS on Travel and Living and it was only last Monday that i got to learn what XO, VSOP, and VS mean hehehe. In the host's foray into cognac country in France, he got on to explain that XO means Extra Old (at least 6 years aged), VSOP Very Special Old Pale (at least 4 years) and VS Very Special (at least 2 years). VS naturally is the one used in mixed drinks. Not too old to learn something new, ok hehehe.

For those curious what Three Sheets means, it is a slang term (maritime lingo, in fact) to denote being royally and riproaringly drunk :sick:

cheers! and when drinking, try not to get to that point of hoisting three sails...

Speaking of Three Sheets - did anyone of you catch the Philippines episode? Pretty funny in some parts. Did the high-proof local stuff. And the flavored liquors (yuck!). That Hobbit bar was featured. And some dive in Malate.