For Masi,

Yes am importing my wines and distributing it as well, I used to have a showroom before in polaris infront of la-tienda in makati, but am just maintaining my temperatured controlled warehouse, I usuallu caters to private individuals and some corporate accounts. we do delivery as well, but my wines are more into French, Portuguese, Italian... more on the high end, last night I had a tasting at Alliance Francais De Manille, we tasted 2001 vintage; Les Fiefs de Lagrange, Les haut de Pontet, Ch. Lanessan 2004. very promising wines and my guests enjoyed it. I collect older vintage also, my oldest is a 1907 Cos d" Estournel. my company is Gran Vin Exchange, it is very nice to know thata lot are into wines already.

Hi Folks. I am relatively new to wines but I just wanted to share. To Nikki. I remember Gran Vin Exchange! Was always curious about it but never got around to visiting. I think it is now a tatoo shop. Too bad. I also recently came back from a trip to the US and got to try a Coppola Merlot? I am hardly an authority on the subject but it really did taste quite good.

Hi Folks. I am relatively new to wines but I just wanted to share. To Nikki. I remember Gran Vin Exchange! Was always curious about it but never got around to visiting. I think it is now a tatoo shop. Too bad. I also recently came back from a trip to the US and got to try a Coppola Merlot? I am hardly an authority on the subject but it really did taste quite good.

thats nice to know that you remember my old shop in polaris, yeah the place was nice but costly for us. so we decided to just maintain our warehouse but looking forward to open again another wine shop soon. but my tagaytay is on going already but its a different concept, it would be an off premise wine tasting venue for corporate parties or events. we have a very wonderful view of the taal lake and my partners and I turned this villa into a very wonderful wine experience. thakns

thats nice to know that you remember my old shop in polaris, yeah the place was nice but costly for us. so we decided to just maintain our warehouse but looking forward to open again another wine shop soon. but my tagaytay is on going already but its a different concept, it would be an off premise wine tasting venue for corporate parties or events. we have a very wonderful view of the taal lake and my partners and I turned this villa into a very wonderful wine experience. thakns

Yes, it did look like a very nice shop. I think it was the colors of your sign that caught my attention. Hopefully, i can someday get better acquainted with different wines. You might say am in the experimental stage right now. Hope you eventually open that wine shop so that i finally get a chance to visit it.

Welcome to the thread! We're all here to learn and share experiences. Coppola has a wide range of wines from supermarket label to signature, estate labels. Agxo would be in a better position to talk about Coppola wines.

Wine appreciation is a personal choice. What maybe good for you may not appeal to the other. This is what makes it a fascinating subject.

Welcome to the thread! We're all here to learn and share experiences. Coppola has a wide range of wines from supermarket label to signature, estate labels. Agxo would be in a better position to talk about Coppola wines.

Wine appreciation is a personal choice. What maybe good for you may not appeal to the other. This is what makes it a fascinating subject.

Thank you for the warm welcome sir! I do agree that it is a fascinating subject. Very few of my friends are into wine so I often enjoy it alone or with my mom when my family drops by for a visit.

Ah, yes! Coppola! He's got TWO wineries now - Rosso and Bianco in Sonoma County, near Healdsburg. The old Chateau Souverain property. He's got his Director's Cut and Director's Rserve wines coming out of this facility. Then he's got Rubicon Estate, where his top end wines come out of - Rubicon, Cask Cabernets, Pennino Zinfandels, the Captain's REserve wines (cab, cab franc, syrah, merlot....)

I belong to the Rubicon club so I get at least TWO bottles of Rubicon a year, two Cask Cabernets, a couple of Pennino zins, and assorted Captain's REserve wines.

I generally like Coppola's wines - I find them well made, showing real pride of product and place. My fave, of course, is the Rubicon. A big, hearty, well-crafted cab, from grapes grown on the estate. Big fruit, big but well-integrated tannins. Easy to drink young (well, not too young. Maybe 4-7 years?) but built to last. I'm just now opeining my '95s and '96s. And they are - wonderful. Come visit some time, give me a bit of advance notice, and I will set up a tasting at the winery. I get entry into the member's lounge and access to wines that the main tasting room is NOT tasting.

The Director's wines are the lower end, but no less well-made. But aimed more at the mass market, so they tend to be softer, more rounded, easier to drink NOW One of teh best bargains is the Rosso - a red table wine found at Costco for $6.99! Consistently good, if not astounding, but certainly a great daily drinker - and at that price, certainly affordable as well!

Ah, yes! Coppola! He's got TWO wineries now - Rosso and Bianco in Sonoma County, near Healdsburg. The old Chateau Souverain property. He's got his Director's Cut and Director's Rserve wines coming out of this facility. Then he's got Rubicon Estate, where his top end wines come out of - Rubicon, Cask Cabernets, Pennino Zinfandels, the Captain's REserve wines (cab, cab franc, syrah, merlot....)

I belong to the Rubicon club so I get at least TWO bottles of Rubicon a year, two Cask Cabernets, a couple of Pennino zins, and assorted Captain's REserve wines.

I generally like Coppola's wines - I find them well made, showing real pride of product and place. My fave, of course, is the Rubicon. A big, hearty, well-crafted cab, from grapes grown on the estate. Big fruit, big but well-integrated tannins. Easy to drink young (well, not too young. Maybe 4-7 years?) but built to last. I'm just now opeining my '95s and '96s. And they are - wonderful. Come visit some time, give me a bit of advance notice, and I will set up a tasting at the winery. I get entry into the member's lounge and access to wines that the main tasting room is NOT tasting.

The Director's wines are the lower end, but no less well-made. But aimed more at the mass market, so they tend to be softer, more rounded, easier to drink NOW One of teh best bargains is the Rosso - a red table wine found at Costco for $6.99! Consistently good, if not astounding, but certainly a great daily drinker - and at that price, certainly affordable as well!

It's funny considering the "equity of the brand", nobody is distributing Coppola wines here. (Now can somebody from an ad agency explain this to me!) The only time I get to try it is when you fly over with a bottle or I visit my friend in Vallejo and takes time out to drive me to Napa!

Edited by masi
It's funny considering the "equity of the brand", nobody is distributing Coppola wines here. (Now can somebody from an ad agency explain this to me!) The only time I get to try it is when you fly over with a bottle or I visit my friend in Vallejo and takes time out to drive me to Napa!

I was wondering the same thing. It's pretty good wine and not necessarily expensive. Not sure which of those agxo mentioned, but what we drank was priced around $15. What I have found recently is an Australian wine called Monkey Bay? Sounds interesting. Anyone know if it's worth trying?

I was wondering the same thing. It's pretty good wine and not necessarily expensive. Not sure which of those agxo mentioned, but what we drank was priced around $15. What I have found recently is an Australian wine called Monkey Bay? Sounds interesting. Anyone know if it's worth trying?

Monkey Bay's good! It's distributed by Fort & Tay here. Someone gave me a Sauvignon Blanc. very good! Nice legs, very fruity, not too acidic. Very nice! Specially with Vongole. :upside:

It's kind of expensive here though - around 700+ a bottle.

for that matter, is it distributed anywhere else in Asia? Sometimes a winemaker may not consider a certain region to be a good market for his wines, for one reason or another. Maybe there have been some inquiries too with Coppola, but he may not be biting yet hehehe....

Thank you for the warm welcome sir! I do agree that it is a fascinating subject. Very few of my friends are into wine so I often enjoy it alone or with my mom when my family drops by for a visit.

welcome to the thread, pare! Dumadami na naman tayo ulit hehehe...

yes, wine is not a big thing here and it is very unfortunate.

Fellow oenephiles just finished bottling Orange Chocolate Port perfect for the Chistmas gathering.

Part of my daily wine rotation besides Barolo and Shiraz are Pascual Toso's Malbec and Sergo Alighieri's Masi...I did Napa tour after visiting relatives in Chico on my way to San Fran...

Happy to meet you all!

In that range, it would most likely be one of th Director's Cut wines. Or it may be one of his older vintages - either the Diamond series or the Family Series, made when he only had the operation in Rutherford (Napa Valley).

Yeah I recember Spanada, the label has a Spanish Galleon.

There is another US wine which was popular during those day of Boone's Farm, Andre. The bottle shape was like that of Welch Grape juice. The label just skips me.

Is it "Chablis"? Your question won't let me sleep. hehehe

For a long time, chardonnays produced in California were called "chablis".Chablis is a town in France, and the predominant (perhaps only!) white wine grape grown in the town and area around it is - chardonnay. So THEIR wine is called Chablis. Now, of course, you can't call chardonnays Chablis anymore unless it's from Chablis.

The wine in the Welch's grape juice-like bottle might have been MD20-20 (Mogen David). OR, it could have been Lancers?

For a long time, chardonnays produced in California were called "chablis".Chablis is a town in France, and the predominant (perhaps only!) white wine grape grown in the town and area around it is - chardonnay. So THEIR wine is called Chablis. Now, of course, you can't call chardonnays Chablis anymore unless it's from Chablis.

The wine in the Welch's grape juice-like bottle might have been MD20-20 (Mogen David). OR, it could have been Lancers?

NAILED IT!!!! It's Mogen David!!!!

Thank you sir! Glad to be part of this thread and hopefully learn a little bit more about this little "interest" I seem to have taken up.

that "little" interest could balloon to gigantic proportions that would capture you for the rest of your life - like what happened to most of us here hehehe....leaf through the back pages, pare, I'm sure you can pick up some nuggets of knowledge here and there...

that "little" interest could balloon to gigantic proportions that would capture you for the rest of your life - like what happened to most of us here hehehe....leaf through the back pages, pare, I'm sure you can pick up some nuggets of knowledge here and there...

Hehe. I do not doubt that one bit. As it is, I find myself constantly checking back here to see what's new.

So THAT's what it's called! NOW I can sleep better. hehehe

I don't know if this is off topic but I want to share this.

I've been drinking Jinro Soju (Korean Potato Wine) for more than a year now.

The small bottle version is only 19.8% to 20.1% alcohol (P 80 to 100) and the big bottle is 24% alcohol (P 200)

It is indeed cheap but what I enjoyed with this is when I let the ladies drink it. I mix Mirinda or Royal Tru-Orange.

The alcohol content is really low if we compare it to Gin or Vodka.

However, I find that the ladies get drunk easily with this and made them hot that led to sex on some of them.

I tried to research on this on the internet but I can't find a logical explanation.

I experimented this on my wife, my office mates, my friends, and other acquantances and got almost similar result.

I told my daughter not to drink it with other people except in the family as it is "dangerous".

One of my staff even whispered to my ear that she was safe after 4 shots of this. She can't remember what she whispered to me when she's not drunk anymore. I did not take advantage of her as she was my staff and I don't want any scandal.

There was another drinking session w/ 2 (P 200) Jinro = P 400 with 5 ladies and me. 3 of them also became hot after the 2nd bottle.

Maybe it's the chemical mixture of the softdrink or maybe it's really Jinro.

The rest of you guys can experiment with it and share the results.

Enjoy!

B.T.W. Try the yellow label than the light green label. The yellow label is more effective.

I must confirm this. My version is what the Japanese call Oolong Hai. Which is a jigger of shoju (Jinro if you are really scrounging, but there are any good number of Japanese shoju made from potato, sweet potato, rice, and a blend of other grains, I prefer Iichiko) on to a highball glass, fileld with ice and topped with oolong tea which can either be home brewed or bottled. The thing is refreshing and tastes like tea but it sneaks up on them and bites them where it is suppose to itch.

maki sali sa usapan ninyo

i'm NOT necessarily disagreeing

pero sa palagay ko hindi mogen david yun

sa palagay ko, paul masson!

yun kasi ang popular na table wine sa airmen's at nco clubs sa clark

nasa carafe siya

tsaka yun ang popular bilhin sa package/class VI store tapos ipag bili sa black market sa nepo :)

maki sali sa usapan ninyo

i'm NOT necessarily disagreeing

pero sa palagay ko hindi mogen david yun

sa palagay ko, paul masson!

yun kasi ang popular na table wine sa airmen's at nco clubs sa clark

nasa carafe siya

tsaka yun ang popular bilhin sa package/class VI store tapos ipag bili sa black market sa nepo :)

It could have been - but the carafe that Paul Masson came in doesn't look like the Welch's Grape Juice bottle. The MD20-20 bottle seemed like a closer match. Unless you're thinking of the gallon jug of Paul Masson - and you could (and still can!) get Welch's in gallon jugs.

post-33551-1217380448.jpg This is the NEW WElch's bottle. The old one was a simpler shape, without those funny ridges.

post-33551-1217380604.jpg As you can see, the MD20-20 bottle looks kinda like a juice bottle.

post-33551-1217380916.jpeg While the Paul Masson carafe is distinctive and can't be mistaken for an innocent juice bottle.