same sentiments on franzia, but i shouldn't say anything bad cause i've never drank it

and with the grapes, how much lower quality can it get than table grapes

and we eat those almost every day :rolleyes:

@storm - text kita mamaya :)

I've drank practically all those low-budget wines out there and there are some wines I would really swear not to drink again :thumbsdownsmiley:

I think there are no low-quality grapes - only low-quality wines.

Every harvested wine grape is made into a certain price point wine, otherwise there are just wine grapes and table grapes.

enjoy the EB tonight, folks. Bawi ako susunod. FR ha :upside:

same sentiments on franzia, but i shouldn't say anything bad cause i've never drank it

and with the grapes, how much lower quality can it get than table grapes

and we eat those almost every day :rolleyes:

@storm - text kita mamaya :)

I've drank practically all those low-budget wines out there and there are some wines I would really swear not to drink again :thumbsdownsmiley:

I think there are no low-quality grapes - only low-quality wines.

Every harvested wine grape is made into a certain price point wine, otherwise there are just wine grapes and table grapes.

enjoy the EB tonight, folks. Bawi ako susunod. FR ha :upside:

Actually, we regularly have wine and cheeze parties with my pals. usually expensive wines dahil the cheap below P500/bottle wines daw are not good for the kidney because of some substance in low quality grapes.

But Franzia Chillable Red is still acceptable lalo na ngayong tag hirap hehehe

??? I've consumed wines that cost as little as Two-Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw @ $1.99/bottle at retail), and $20/case fire-sale wines (that's $1.83/btl!!) and I've read up on everything I can about these wines, and others - and I have yet to see anything about somethng in them that hurts your kidneys (other than over-consumption).

There ARE some other "wino" wines - Thunderbird, Ripple, Night Train, Mogen-David 20/20, Manischevitz - that are not any better than grape juice with alcohol added. Now, if you told me those wines would hurt you, I could believe it! Who knows what kind of alcohol they dose those beverages with? Could be wood alcohol (makes you blinder than jerking off ever could) or some other lethal concoction that includes some form of inebriant.

But even the cheap wines I've consumed are made in the traditional wine making process, and those should NOT have anything harmful, except to your palate and enjoyment of what should be the most sublime beverage ever created by mankind.

In fact, I just picked up my latest bargain - a case of Deer Ridge 2002 Reserve Syrah for the astounding price of only $4/btl. That's $48/case! For a wine that should retail at $15-20/btl. Went back a couple of days later to pick up my case, and the wine was still on sale, but at $96/case! And people were still snapping it up. Maybe I should have bought more than one case? Oh, well, too late now!

hey any advice here in cooking using wine? medyo off topic nga lang PEACE! :)

Rule #1 - never cook with a wine you won't drink.

Wine is a good flavor enhancer for food, but you need to make sure the wine you cook with is complimentary to the food you're cooking. When you cook with wine, you will burn off the alcohol,but hopefully leave the flavinoids so the flavors of the wine should remain in your food. I typically add the wine after all the serious cooking ais done, at the end, just before serving. That way you don't overcook the wine.

I typically use whatever red wine I'm drinking while cooking for deglazing the pan after cooking steaks or pork chops. Then I add butter and make a wine, butter and [whatever I have in the kitchen] sauce for the meat.

I also add wine to spaghetti sauce, and sometimes, to chili. You can add wine to beef stew - or any of the Pinoy variations thereof.

Use wine in a salad dressing.

Guest lustfortravel

hello, i'm new to this thread ( but not new to some old timers like boomouse and storm ^_^ ) and i must say this is the first time i have really learned a lot about wines.

i have been used to serving french cabernet sauvignons and merlots during parties - french because my relatives will only drink wines from france which they claim make the "best" wines. since i have never acquired the taste for it ( or perhaps i have never tasted the "good" wines in the first place :lol: ), i have never really bothered to even check on the labels as long as they were french. now, i know ( a little) better. this thread is an eye-opener; many thanks!

by the way, i recently stumbled into a 2000 cabernet sauvignon ( if i'm not mistaken, it was a chateau margaux) that cost almost 15k a bottle. wow, do they really cost that much? i know 2000 was a vintage year and i don't mind spending for a good bottle of wine but 15K? i'd rather put it up as down payment for one of storm's ballerina sculptures. :lol:

What did I miss???????????????????????????????? :-(

Sorry haven't been online lately due to work (what else is new? :lol: ).

Not much...

hey any advice here in cooking using wine? medyo off topic nga lang PEACE! :)

Cook with the wine you drink.

hello, i'm new to this thread ( but not new to some old timers like boomouse and storm ^_^ ) and i must say this is the first time i have really learned a lot about wines.

i have been used to serving french cabernet sauvignons and merlots during parties - french because my relatives will only drink wines from france which they claim make the "best" wines. since i have never acquired the taste for it ( or perhaps i have never tasted the "good" wines in the first place :lol: ), i have never really bothered to even check on the labels as long as they were french. now, i know ( a little) better. this thread is an eye-opener; many thanks!

by the way, i recently stumbled into a 2000 cabernet sauvignon ( if i'm not mistaken, it was a chateau margaux) that cost almost 15k a bottle. wow, do they really cost that much? i know 2000 was a vintage year and i don't mind spending for a good bottle of wine but 15K? i'd rather put it up as down payment for one of storm's ballerina sculptures. :lol:

There more to wines than what the French could offer. Be adventurous, try other labels, countries/regions. The Chateau Margaux is really in that range albeit, you could get it for P12k. Who drinks the stuff, well I guess if you have the moolah you would, ask your congressman if he like the stuff!

Ok na sa akin red win na Sol de Espana kasi matamis.

Hey, nothing tried nothing gained. Albeit, I wouldn't want to touch that stuff after tasting it.

Hey, nothing tried nothing gained. Albeit, I wouldn't want to touch that stuff after tasting it.

I already tried almost everything even the expensive one's. I've been to the US, France, Czech Republic, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, and Vietnam on Business Trip or R&R. I also happen to work as part of the management team in the past at a High End Italian/European Restaurant Franchise and trained from Barista, Beer Brewing, Coffee Roasting, and Hungarian Sausage making.

It's just that I prefer Semi Sweet to Sweet Wines than those Expensive Dry Wines.

My daughter and son also prefer Semi Sweet and Sweet Wines after Dinner that's why they want Sol De Espana or Novellino. Sometimes its Alzar by Domecq Wines if ever it is available at groceries.

I don't care about brand name or price range. What is important is our taste.

Edited by rayt64
I already tried almost everything even the expensive one's. I've been to the US, France, Czech Republic, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, and Vietnam on Business Trip or R&R. I also happen to work as part of the management team in the past at a High End Italian/European Restaurant Franchise and trained from Barista, Beer Brewing, Coffee Roasting, and Hungarian Sausage making.

It's just that I prefer Semi Sweet to Sweet Wines than those Expensive Dry Wines.

My daughter and son also prefer Semi Sweet and Sweet Wines after Dinner that's why they want Sol De Espana or Novellino. Sometimes its Alzar by Domecq Wines if ever it is available at groceries.

Don't get me wrong, Rayt, I don't buy much of the expensive stuff but I try to avoid the cheap stuff since they're simple a waste of money and a health hazard.

I drink to what I think is good which is usually concurred by my wine buddies.

IMHO, there is no right and wrong when it comes to wines, unless it's spoiled wine that we're talking about.

I have to commend you for your skills. I also have some coffee brewing skills which I learned as a passion. That's right, I do things with passion, which perhaps gives me a fairly better level in discerning what is generally good and not so good.

I also have been to most of the countries you mentioned, and perhaps abit more, also on business and holiday. This gave me a chance to discover excellent cuisine, exquisite wines and other beverages. And if you look behind what makes those products excel in the global arena, it's the passion that goes behind the product.

Sorry, I have to rain on your parade, but Novellino will never make it to my "buy" list. I will drink San Miguel Pale Pilsen instead or Tanduay Rhum, which to me are quality Filipino products.

Don't get me wrong, Rayt, I don't buy much of the expensive stuff but I try to avoid the cheap stuff since they're simple a waste of money and a health hazard.

I drink to what I think is good which is usually concurred by my wine buddies.

IMHO, there is no right and wrong when it comes to wines, unless it's spoiled wine that we're talking about.

I have to commend you for your skills. I also have some coffee brewing skills which I learned as a passion. That's right, I do things with passion, which perhaps gives me a fairly better level in discerning what is generally good and not so good.

I also have been to most of the countries you mentioned, and perhaps abit more, also on business and holiday. This gave me a chance to discover excellent cuisine, exquisite wines and other beverages. And if you look behind what makes those products excel in the global arena, it's the passion that goes behind the product.

Sorry, I have to rain on your parade, but Novellino will never make it to my "buy" list. I will drink San Miguel Pale Pilsen instead or Tanduay Rhum, which to me are quality Filipino products.

I agree with you sir, that's the problem we always encounter here is the aquired taste of wines that are not good. am in a wine business for 10 years now, and am happy that most of my clients are happy with the wines we are carrying and the private tastings that we do somehow level up with the wine market. don't have to be super expensive for wines that you have to but in order to taste good, as I have sais that wine is subjective, probably for you is good but for others is not, just stick to wine shops that are reputable and the most important thing is the storage facility, chances are you'll get good wines then.

I agree with you sir, that's the problem we always encounter here is the aquired taste of wines that are not good. am in a wine business for 10 years now, and am happy that most of my clients are happy with the wines we are carrying and the private tastings that we do somehow level up with the wine market. don't have to be super expensive for wines that you have to but in order to taste good, as I have sais that wine is subjective, probably for you is good but for others is not, just stick to wine shops that are reputable and the most important thing is the storage facility, chances are you'll get good wines then.

do you have an outlet for your wines or you are an importer/distributor? as for the storage, i fully agree with you. to stress a point in proper wine storage, i've bought some quality wines from an importer/distributor but apparently, there were some problems with the handling either in their shop or in transit. the wine turned out to be cooked and oxygenated, aka, stale!

i've learned more than a thing or two from agxo about storing wines. earlier on in this thread, he suggested keeping the wines in the ref since our average temperature is about 24-degrees. better cold than cooked!

welcome to the thread! And we are all just learning here, ok?

yes some people never do get over some bias, and that would include wine. To some, French is best but there are always two sides to an equation. French fries are definitely bad for the health while a french kiss is, well hehehe

The world of wine is huge and awesome - all regions produce excellent wines. And at a price point a third of a Chateau Margaux are a lot of excellent wines from all over.

cheers!

well not all dry wines are expensive, and yes sweet wines are the ones you go to after some good dinner. I also don't care about price range as my everyday drinking wines are in the P300 to P400 range - actually as long as it has alcohol in it I would go for it. But for something to be called wine when it isn't is just pulling a lot of drinkers' legs. If Novellino is a true-blue wine, then I'm Robert Mondavi....

well not all dry wines are expensive, and yes sweet wines are the ones you go to after some good dinner. I also don't care about price range as my everyday drinking wines are in the P300 to P400 range - actually as long as it has alcohol in it I would go for it. But for something to be called wine when it isn't is just pulling a lot of drinkers' legs. If Novellino is a true-blue wine, then I'm Robert Mondavi....

:thumbsupsmiley: I like your last line!!!!!

I have a few bottles of Pinot including Blackstone, when are you free my friend!

yes some people never do get over some bias, and that would include wine. To some, French is best but there are always two sides to an equation. French fries are definitely bad for the health while a french kiss is, well hehehe

The world of wine is huge and awesome - all regions produce excellent wines. And at a price point a third of a Chateau Margaux are a lot of excellent wines from all over.

cheers!

I agree that price alone cannot indicate the quality of the wine. And in addition, "delicious" is a relative term that is highly subjective and depends on each person's palate and preferences. So yes, the only really "bad" wines are those that are spoiled, cooked, corked, or otherwise damaged. I personally find wines that are inadvertently (or accidentally) sweet - not ports or dessert wines or late harvest wines - unpalatable. But that's me! I like red wines with good structure (that's driven by well-integrated tannins) and a healthy dose of robust fruit.

BUT - price is and indication to the extent that the percentage of wines in a given price bracket that would be generally considered withing the wine world as "good" would tend to be higher in a higher priced bracket. It is indeed possible to find good, reasonably priced wines. It's just the as your definition of "reasonably priced" extends into the higer price brackets, it gets easier to find "good" wines.

I just bought a case at a Livermore winery for $4/btl. What a bargain! A 2002 Reserve Syrah! Great tanins that round out with just 15 or so minutes of air, bountiful fruit, hints of leather and smoke, and a spiciness to balance the "sweetness" of the fruit. I've had less "good" $20 syrahs! What wonderful luck!

On another topic - more budget cuts at work mean this upcoming trip to Taiwan may very well be my last for the year! :cry: That means no Manila stop for me if that's true! Stay tuned for the next episode in this continuing drama.........

Hello winos!

So kelan na ang EB? I need a break after so much work.

The thread is getting more interesting! New people sharing their thoughts. Hope you can make it here Agxo.

The Igol has landed. Kita-kita tayo. How about thursday? Ayy bukas na pala iyon. Hehehe. I'm just a tex away.

On another topic - more budget cuts at work mean this upcoming trip to Taiwan may very well be my last for the year! :cry: That means no Manila stop for me if that's true! Stay tuned for the next episode in this continuing drama.........

We'll be here when you make that trip!!! The good side though is that those wines you're keeping will be a few months (or years) older. Keep the wines sideways and do not consume them due to the economic downswing

Hello winos!

The thread is getting more interesting! New people sharing their thoughts. Hope you can make it here Agxo.

The Igol has landed. Kita-kita tayo. How about thursday? Ayy bukas na pala iyon. Hehehe. I'm just a tex away.

Am good starting 10:00p.m. One of my lines has to operate the 9pm to 9am shift for the time being. I've been having 16 to 18hour days in the last week.

Hello winos!

pare sama ako.

Guest lustfortravel
There more to wines than what the French could offer. Be adventurous, try other labels, countries/regions. The Chateau Margaux is really in that range albeit, you could get it for P12k. Who drinks the stuff, well I guess if you have the moolah you would, ask your congressman if he like the stuff!

the only congressman i know wears a timex watch so i don't think he would spend 12-15k on a bottle of wine either. then again, he might be the exception rather than the rule! :lol:

cheers!

thanks for the welcome :) a french kiss might be bad for your health, too, depending on who's giving it! :upside: but i'm starting to learn more about wines and have decided to introduce wines from other countries to my "French-biased" relatives.

i have another question if you don't mind - they insist that i chill the red wines before i serve but i learned that red wine should be served at room temperature. is it ok to chill it , according to preference?

the only congressman i know wears a timex watch so i don't think he would spend 12-15k on a bottle of wine either. then again, he might be the exception rather than the rule! :lol:

thanks for the welcome :) a french kiss might be bad for your health, too, depending on who's giving it! :upside: but i'm starting to learn more about wines and have decided to introduce wines from other countries to my "French-biased" relatives.

i have another question if you don't mind - they insist that i chill the red wines before i serve but i learned that red wine should be served at room temperature. is it ok to chill it , according to preference?

if your congressman doesn't drive around the metro in the latest gas-guzzling SUV, then i stand corrected. i tip my hat to him, then.

now as for chilled red wine. i, for one, chill red wines during storage. this is because the average room temperature is around 26-degrees Celsius which tends to "cook" wines. before i serve it, i "thaw" the wine. it would help to have a wine thermometer handy for this purpose.

i also noticed the if you serve wine at our room temperature (not in an airconditioned room), there is a "rush" in the nose which means the alcohol is evaporating and leaves nothing for the palate.

again, it's a personal choice.

Guest lustfortravel
if your congressman doesn't drive around the metro in the latest gas-guzzling SUV, then i stand corrected. i tip my hat to him, then.

now as for chilled red wine. i, for one, chill red wines during storage. this is because the average room temperature is around 26-degrees Celsius which tends to "cook" wines. before i serve it, i "thaw" the wine. it would help to have a wine thermometer handy for this purpose.

i also noticed the if you serve wine at our room temperature (not in an airconditioned room), there is a "rush" in the nose which means the alcohol is evaporating and leaves nothing for the palate.

again, it's a personal choice.

he owns an old vehicle and refuses to buy an SUV since he says he doesn't need it. there are still gems in congress, even if majority are worthless pieces of s@%t...er....stones, i mean.

i normally serve wine in my airconditioned formal dining room which is usually the venue for dinner parties so i guess this "rush" is not a problem? but i'm glad to be able to learn something new each day, thanks!

i hope you gentlemen don't mind if i pass by time to time with some questions. :)

Edited by lustfortravel