My golly miss holly golightly!!!! I cannot begin to describe how great it was to catch up with all of you last night after not having had the pleasure of your company for a good 2 years! Di naman ako sounding masyadong excited ano? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Once again, profuse appreciation to Masi and Liberty for being opening their home to us. I know I sound like a broken record but I absolutely enjoy being in the company of couples like you because you remind me of all the good things about being married :) hahaha kinikilig ako when I see you guys together. :blush:

The company was way excellent that the good food (yummy yummy ribs & the PORKS & beans Masi cooked --- hahaha we are so honored :P ) and good alcohol could not be the focus of attention for the evening. I mean I could not remember the caramelly sugar and toasty oak from the pinot noir, nor could I remember the creamy effervesence infused with apple and pink grapefruit from the vino spumante. I definitely could not taste the sharp plums and cherries from the cabsav and I certainly did not feel that sexy graze of gin against my throat from the Masi Martini. No, no, no, no --- I absotively cannot remember. :lol: :lol: :lol: I was just too engrossed with chika-ing Storm, Mrs Storm (who, like Liberty, seems to grow more beautiful each time I see her), friends of the Storms, Bods, Liberty and Masi. But the person who really made the earth under my feet really shake was Mr. boomouse! So shaken was I (like the Masi Maritini) that I had to blurt "WALANG SUMBUNGAN!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Kidding aside, nice to meet you boomouse -- am wondering if I should mention to my dad that we were drinking together last night. Ha ha ha.

Ah basta .... masharap ang lahat kagabi!!! I really will make it a nasty habit to see the winos super regularly this year. :* And Senyor Agxo3 you better be in one of them shindigs!!! We missed you. :(

The passage of two years hardly mattered when old friends meet. Just like the pinot and the cab and even the martini which all went down smoothly. I had a great time! Thanks to masi and liberty for oh so graciously receiving us again in your well-appointed abode and filling us up with drinks you can't see this side of Manila and food whose great taste I will always associate with that part of town hehehe...Storm and the missus it's great to see you again and you both looked smart in your outfits that night...to the doctor and the missus nice to meet you...to lipstick, hmm what more can i say? The night went beyond complete with your presence and I really hope you grace us with your company more often from now on. To boomouse, finally met you, pare and it's also a small world hehehe...

To the next event - cheers!

My golly miss holly golightly!!!! I cannot begin to describe how great it was to catch up with all of you last night after not having had the pleasure of your company for a good 2 years! Di naman ako sounding masyadong excited ano? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Once again, profuse appreciation to Masi and Liberty for being opening their home to us. I know I sound like a broken record but I absolutely enjoy being in the company of couples like you because you remind me of all the good things about being married :) hahaha kinikilig ako when I see you guys together. :blush:

The company was way excellent that the good food (yummy yummy ribs & the PORKS & beans Masi cooked --- hahaha we are so honored :P ) and good alcohol could not be the focus of attention for the evening. I mean I could not remember the caramelly sugar and toasty oak from the pinot noir, nor could I remember the creamy effervesence infused with apple and pink grapefruit from the vino spumante. I definitely could not taste the sharp plums and cherries from the cabsav and I certainly did not feel that sexy graze of gin against my throat from the Masi Martini. No, no, no, no --- I absotively cannot remember. :lol: :lol: :lol: I was just too engrossed with chika-ing Storm, Mrs Storm (who, like Liberty, seems to grow more beautiful each time I see her), friends of the Storms, Bods, Liberty and Masi. But the person who really made the earth under my feet really shake was Mr. boomouse! So shaken was I (like the Masi Maritini) that I had to blurt "WALANG SUMBUNGAN!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Kidding aside, nice to meet you boomouse -- am wondering if I should mention to my dad that we were drinking together last night. Ha ha ha.

Ah basta .... masharap ang lahat kagabi!!! I really will make it a nasty habit to see the winos super regularly this year. :* And Senyor Agxo3 you better be in one of them shindigs!!! We missed you. :(

The passage of two years hardly mattered when old friends meet. Just like the pinot and the cab and even the martini which all went down smoothly. I had a great time! Thanks to masi and liberty for oh so graciously receiving us again in your well-appointed abode and filling us up with drinks you can't see this side of Manila and food whose great taste I will always associate with that part of town hehehe...Storm and the missus it's great to see you again and you both looked smart in your outfits that night...to the doctor and the missus nice to meet you...to lipstick, hmm what more can i say? The night went beyond complete with your presence and I really hope you grace us with your company more often from now on. To boomouse, finally met you, pare and it's also a small world hehehe...

To the next event - cheers!

:cry: Sigh........the things I miss......oh, well. There's always next time!! I still owe you guys my horseradish crusted prime rib!

Mrs. Agxo is talking about another trip there - but next year! I thought it would be this year but since her folks came this month, she and her sister are now talking about next year. That means I have to finagle a 2 week trip so that I can hop over from HK or Taiwan for the weekend. From HK would be better - more flights!

Or, you could ALL hop on a plane and come see me in Taipei - I get to spend Friday night there this time, just so I can have dinner wtih one of my vendors there who has complained that I never hang around after our meeting. They're traditionally the last meeting of the trip, and I tend to finish the meeting then head over to airport to fly out. So this time I said I'd stay the night and they can host a dinner. It better be good - that's all I'M gonna say!

Good Evening. I drink wine too but I am not savvy about it. Just a regular drinker. I have tried drinking different varietals, from the cheap ones to the expensive ones (at least for me :upside: ). One of my favorite is the Kendall Jackson cab. Another one is Wente riesling. I hope I can join one of your wine appreciation sessions.

Good Evening. I drink wine too but I am not savvy about it. Just a regular drinker. I have tried drinking different varietals, from the cheap ones to the expensive ones (at least for me :upside: ). One of my favorite is the Kendall Jackson cab. Another one is Wente riesling. I hope I can join one of your wine appreciation sessions.

Expensive for me is if the bottle costs more than P500

Who is (or are! :lol: ) going to Storm's exhbit this Friday? Tara let's!!!

EB sa opening ng exhibit namin

Friday, May 30, 6pm

Galerie Hans Brumann

Level 3, Greenbelt 5, Makati City

Masarap ang food (pinoy). Meron din daw wine. Not sure kung ok ang wine, though.

Who is (or are! :lol: ) going to Storm's exhbit this Friday? Tara let's!!!

EB sa opening ng exhibit namin

Friday, May 30, 6pm

Galerie Hans Brumann

Level 3, Greenbelt 5, Makati City

Masarap ang food (pinoy). Meron din daw wine. Not sure kung ok ang wine, though.

I will be in the area with my business partner. Will do my best to drop by.

One tulog na lang! Let's have a party at Galerie Hans Brumann in 3F Greenbelt 5. Cocktails will be served at 6pm

Pareng Storm, CONGRATULATIONS!

Sorry I could not be there much earlier to share in the wines! Nevertheless, your sculptures were truly pieces to behold!

Really regret not having made it to storm's exhibit opening night. I am sure it was a success and congrats pare. Barring any glitches, I will be there Wednesday night.

Drinking this crappy wine tonight. Won't say its name because it used to have some miniscule lofty rep before. Dapat nag Yellow Tail na lang ulit ako, mas mura pa!

cheers everyone!

One tulog na lang! Let's have a party at Galerie Hans Brumann in 3F Greenbelt 5. Cocktails will be served at 6pm

Sorry I had to miss yet another opening! Still working on getting that 2 week trip!!!! Don't think it will be this month - not enough weeks left to set up the trip. Quotes for the new project coming in from Taiwan at the end of next week, then at least 2 weeks to sort them out. It'll be July by the time I get out that way again!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers! It's the one day of the year when we get our way - well, at least we think we do!

My wife and daughter too me out to the Napa Valley for the day. And what a day! Lots of good food and good wine - just my kind of celebration.

We started with lunch in the town of Napa - a relatively new restaurant called Barber's Q. What's the specialty of the house? Why, barbeque, of course!!! I had the brisket and baby back ribs combo plate. Wow - I'm pretty good with teh grill and the smoker (as Storm can attest0, but these guys are GOOD! That brisket was melt-in-your-mouth tender, nice beefy flavor not overwhelmed by the seasoning. Great spicy, slightly sweet, slightly vinegary sauce. The ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender, with a really nice subtle chili-based sauce. no wine - it was a bit early in the day and we had Rubicon Estates all lined up.

So the next stop was the Oxbow market in Napa, just to see what's there. It's a new place and we'd never been there before. Small, but some really nice shops and small food counters. Just the place for what my daughter called a food marathon. And, this being Napa, the wines was not to be forgotten. The Mondavi family has a wine/food shop there that has a really interesting selection of wines, not just their own wines. AND there's a wine and cheese place that has an amazing selection of French, Italian, Australian and California wines. And then there's the ice cream shop - it has the world's most expensive ice cream sundae - a mere $3,333.33 for a spectacular sundae. A large part of the proceeds go to a nature conservancy group, all for a good cause. And then the MORE EXPENSIVE, most expensive ice cream sunde. Served at the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro and a measly $60,000 ($85,000 for two), it includes first calss round trip airfare and accommodations in 5-star hotels all the way. Not for me!

On to Rubicon Estates (formerly Niebaum-Coppola). Still owned by Francis Fod Coppola of Apocalypse Now, the Godfather movies, Dracula, etc, fame but dedicated solely to estate wines - that is, wines that come from grapes grown on the estate, and crushed, fermented, aged and bottled completely on the premises. Great tasting (free for members, and that's me!!!) - 2004 Blancaneaux (roussanne, mersault and viognier blend), great for a white, but I'm a red wine kinda guy. Then a 2004 Cask Cabernet - 100% cab. All I can say is - WOW! Great violet perfume on the nose, dark fruit with some plum, raisin and fig. Aggressive but smooth tannins. This will age another 10 years at least.

But wait, there's more! A 2004 Cuvee Rutherford - also 100% cab, 28 months in the barrel. I thought the Cask was a wow - this was a DOUBLE wow! Round, smooth tannins, great fruit - dark red cherries and raspberries. A hint of earthiness.

And for good measure, let's add the 2003 Rubicon. What a way to top off the tasting!!!! Silky, velvety, full bodied, well-integrated fruit and tannins. REady to drink, but will age a long, long time.

But of course, I could not resist the library wines, so we had a 2003 Cab Franc (smooth, bright cherries, a hint of smoke and some some vanilla lurking in the back. AND - a 1988 Rubicon! Everything a Rubicon should be, but taken to the next level. Something to sit back, sip and enjoy.

On to Turnbull to view the Edward and Brett Weston photo exhibit. For those of you who are photographers, you will know that Edward Weston is one of the pioneers of the craft, on a par with Ansel Adams. Great portraits. His son Brett is nto bad, but not as good as the father. Both are gond new, sadly, but their work lives on. But thw Turnbull wines are not too shabby! I tried the 2003 Sangiovese. Great barbeque wine - I think I'll open this during my annual July 4th burnt meat extravaganza. And then I also tried the Black Label cab - this will go down for another two years at least. I picked up two more wines with my wine shipment and how good they are remains to be seen.

Finally, dinner at Terra in St. Helena. A Michelin one-star restaurant - and it really deserves it. My wife had the tempura shrimp and veggies with an ebi dashi sauce for a starter (the chef is Hiro Sono - a Japanese chef - so this was not surprising) and thesea bass with shrimp ravioli in a soy-based sauce. My daughter had a salad with fresh burrata to start and a medium-rare wagyu beef filet for dinner. I had pork, pork, and more pork. Started with a terrine of "pigs trotters" - aka pata, but not crispy. Hard to describe but it was heavenly! Dinner was a trio of pork - pork loin breaded and deep fried medium, seven-spice riblets, and a braised pork belly. Mmmmmmm. Wine was something I'd never had before - and it was a good choice! a 2001 Teroldego Rotoliano. A derivative of a Nero Amarone from Italy. A lot like a Sangiovese, but tending towards a syrah in heft and character. I have a bit more that I brought home and I will taste it again tomorrow night. A detailed tasting note tomorrow.

For now - it's late, and I am tired. My belly is full. I gotta go sleep off this food and wine coma!

• 2 weeks later...
Pareng Storm, CONGRATULATIONS!

Sorry I could not be there much earlier to share in the wines! Nevertheless, your sculptures were truly pieces to behold!

Thanks pareng Masi. I think Montes from Chile was served that night. Cheers for the next eb.

Really regret not having made it to storm's exhibit opening night. I am sure it was a success and congrats pare. Barring any glitches, I will be there Wednesday night.

Drinking this crappy wine tonight. Won't say its name because it used to have some miniscule lofty rep before. Dapat nag Yellow Tail na lang ulit ako, mas mura pa!

cheers everyone!

Hehehe. I saw your name on the guest book.

Sorry I had to miss yet another opening! Still working on getting that 2 week trip!!!! Don't think it will be this month - not enough weeks left to set up the trip. Quotes for the new project coming in from Taiwan at the end of next week, then at least 2 weeks to sort them out. It'll be July by the time I get out that way again!

Looking forward to seeing you again bro.

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers! It's the one day of the year when we get our way - well, at least we think we do!

My wife and daughter too me out to the Napa Valley for the day. And what a day! Lots of good food and good wine - just my kind of celebration.

We started with lunch in the town of Napa - a relatively new restaurant called Barber's Q. What's the specialty of the house? Why, barbeque, of course!!! I had the brisket and baby back ribs combo plate. Wow - I'm pretty good with teh grill and the smoker (as Storm can attest0, but these guys are GOOD! That brisket was melt-in-your-mouth tender, nice beefy flavor not overwhelmed by the seasoning. Great spicy, slightly sweet, slightly vinegary sauce. The ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender, with a really nice subtle chili-based sauce. no wine - it was a bit early in the day and we had Rubicon Estates all lined up.

So the next stop was the Oxbow market in Napa, just to see what's there. It's a new place and we'd never been there before. Small, but some really nice shops and small food counters. Just the place for what my daughter called a food marathon. And, this being Napa, the wines was not to be forgotten. The Mondavi family has a wine/food shop there that has a really interesting selection of wines, not just their own wines. AND there's a wine and cheese place that has an amazing selection of French, Italian, Australian and California wines. And then there's the ice cream shop - it has the world's most expensive ice cream sundae - a mere $3,333.33 for a spectacular sundae. A large part of the proceeds go to a nature conservancy group, all for a good cause. And then the MORE EXPENSIVE, most expensive ice cream sunde. Served at the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro and a measly $60,000 ($85,000 for two), it includes first calss round trip airfare and accommodations in 5-star hotels all the way. Not for me!

On to Rubicon Estates (formerly Niebaum-Coppola). Still owned by Francis Fod Coppola of Apocalypse Now, the Godfather movies, Dracula, etc, fame but dedicated solely to estate wines - that is, wines that come from grapes grown on the estate, and crushed, fermented, aged and bottled completely on the premises. Great tasting (free for members, and that's me!!!) - 2004 Blancaneaux (roussanne, mersault and viognier blend), great for a white, but I'm a red wine kinda guy. Then a 2004 Cask Cabernet - 100% cab. All I can say is - WOW! Great violet perfume on the nose, dark fruit with some plum, raisin and fig. Aggressive but smooth tannins. This will age another 10 years at least.

But wait, there's more! A 2004 Cuvee Rutherford - also 100% cab, 28 months in the barrel. I thought the Cask was a wow - this was a DOUBLE wow! Round, smooth tannins, great fruit - dark red cherries and raspberries. A hint of earthiness.

And for good measure, let's add the 2003 Rubicon. What a way to top off the tasting!!!! Silky, velvety, full bodied, well-integrated fruit and tannins. REady to drink, but will age a long, long time.

But of course, I could not resist the library wines, so we had a 2003 Cab Franc (smooth, bright cherries, a hint of smoke and some some vanilla lurking in the back. AND - a 1988 Rubicon! Everything a Rubicon should be, but taken to the next level. Something to sit back, sip and enjoy.

On to Turnbull to view the Edward and Brett Weston photo exhibit. For those of you who are photographers, you will know that Edward Weston is one of the pioneers of the craft, on a par with Ansel Adams. Great portraits. His son Brett is nto bad, but not as good as the father. Both are gond new, sadly, but their work lives on. But thw Turnbull wines are not too shabby! I tried the 2003 Sangiovese. Great barbeque wine - I think I'll open this during my annual July 4th burnt meat extravaganza. And then I also tried the Black Label cab - this will go down for another two years at least. I picked up two more wines with my wine shipment and how good they are remains to be seen.

Finally, dinner at Terra in St. Helena. A Michelin one-star restaurant - and it really deserves it. My wife had the tempura shrimp and veggies with an ebi dashi sauce for a starter (the chef is Hiro Sono - a Japanese chef - so this was not surprising) and thesea bass with shrimp ravioli in a soy-based sauce. My daughter had a salad with fresh burrata to start and a medium-rare wagyu beef filet for dinner. I had pork, pork, and more pork. Started with a terrine of "pigs trotters" - aka pata, but not crispy. Hard to describe but it was heavenly! Dinner was a trio of pork - pork loin breaded and deep fried medium, seven-spice riblets, and a braised pork belly. Mmmmmmm. Wine was something I'd never had before - and it was a good choice! a 2001 Teroldego Rotoliano. A derivative of a Nero Amarone from Italy. A lot like a Sangiovese, but tending towards a syrah in heft and character. I have a bit more that I brought home and I will taste it again tomorrow night. A detailed tasting note tomorrow.

For now - it's late, and I am tired. My belly is full. I gotta go sleep off this food and wine coma!

Naglaway talaga ako. Napapunta tuloy kami sa Wine Depot in Reposo St., Makati. Ang sarap ng red fingers with Argyle pinot noir (ang mahal, 1 bottle lang kami). Tapos we had another bottle of (Tatacilla 2004 cabernet-shiraz) which we did not finish. We also ordered some meatballs with mushroom and another appetizer which I forgot. I recommend the place for our next eb though medyo maaga mag-close. This place reminds me of Barcinos.

I miss your place brother agxo.

Edited by storm
Naglaway talaga ako. Napapunta tuloy kami sa Wine Depot in Reposo St., Makati. Ang sarap ng red fingers with Argyle pinot noir (ang mahal, 1 bottle lang kami). Tapos we had another bottle of (Tatacilla 2004 cabernet-shiraz) which we did not finish. We also ordered some meatballs with mushroom and another appetizer which I forgot. I recommend the place for our next eb though medyo maaga mag-close. This place reminds me of Barcinos.

Speaking of which, I got my Wine Depot Card in the mail today....

Funny though, I haven't visited this place in a long time (gone are the days when Bods and I would attend their wine tasting events!).

Oh, well, maybe there's no wrong or better time to visit them, but NOW!!!!

BTW, I'm expecting a client/friend who's a wine collector base in SoCal. He's my supplier of fabled Pinots just like the one we had in our last EB. I hope he's bringing in a few bottles of my favorite elixir!

So when is our next EB?

sometime next week?

late next week looks good for me... albeit, i maybe meeting a client (he told me that he'll be in Manila for 2 weeks but hasn't set a schedule).

i'll tell him to join the group... he's a wine collector too!

BTW, had a Banrock Station Sparkling Chardonnay Pinot Noir last night - lemon citrus with flavors of granny smith, vanilla and raisins.

merlot. ayaw ko mga novelinos ba yun? parang pang bata na wine

Right! Novellino is the name! Now you would insult kids and earn their eternal ingratitude plus a kick in the shin if you make them drink this plonk. Kids deserve better. In France, they say they start them young - with diluted wine being served to kids as young as 10 at the dinner table. Wish I grew up in France :rolleyes:

Thanks pareng Masi. I think Montes from Chile was served that night. Cheers for the next eb.

Hehehe. I saw your name on the guest book.

Looking forward to seeing you again bro.

hehe I was by my lonesome then. I love your Malabon series - wish I can get one after we renovate.

You mentioned Barcinos. Now that's a place I miss. Nagpalit na ba ng owners ito? A friend of mine said he saw some Spanish-looking types running the place when he was there. I remember masi and me chatting with the Pinoy owners two or three years back...

Sorry double posts! Yes an EB would be good but my schedule for next week is not yet firmed up.

Pareng masi do tell me kung may mga wine tasting dyan sa Wine Depot sa Connecticut St. We can always show up there hehehe

Edited by bods1000