^^^ whatever they say :)

sila naman ang nakaka alala

ang sa akin ay suggestion lang for consideration

popular kasi yang paul masson nung mga panahon na yon

hello nga po pala, mr agxo. ang daming mapupulot sa inyo tungkol sa wine.

mga sir MD stands for Mad dog 2020 its a popular drink for college students who cant afford the real stuff, its common to parties in universities. sana tama un alam ko...

mga sir MD stands for Mad dog 2020 its a popular drink for college students who cant afford the real stuff, its common to parties in universities. sana tama un alam ko...

maki sali sa usapan ninyo

i'm NOT necessarily disagreeing

pero sa palagay ko hindi mogen david yun

sa palagay ko, paul masson!

yun kasi ang popular na table wine sa airmen's at nco clubs sa clark

nasa carafe siya

tsaka yun ang popular bilhin sa package/class VI store tapos ipag bili sa black market sa nepo :)

It could have been - but the carafe that Paul Masson came in doesn't look like the Welch's Grape Juice bottle. The MD20-20 bottle seemed like a closer match. Unless you're thinking of the gallon jug of Paul Masson - and you could (and still can!) get Welch's in gallon jugs.

post-33551-1217380448.jpg This is the NEW WElch's bottle. The old one was a simpler shape, without those funny ridges.

post-33551-1217380604.jpg As you can see, the MD20-20 bottle looks kinda like a juice bottle.

post-33551-1217380916.jpeg While the Paul Masson carafe is distinctive and can't be mistaken for an innocent juice bottle.

Take no offense to Agxo posted but I concur with his remarks.

I, too, am familiar with Paul Masson, it was popular then just like Boone's Farm and Andre Cold Duck.

I definitely was referring to Mogen David which had a distinct bottle shape and grape juicy-type taste. It was not far from the "Welch" grape juice being sold at Nepo mart too back then.

Take no offense to Agxo posted but I concur with his remarks.

I, too, am familiar with Paul Masson, it was popular then just like Boone's Farm and Andre Cold Duck.

I definitely was referring to Mogen David which had a distinct bottle shape and grape juicy-type taste. It was not far from the "Welch" grape juice being sold at Nepo mart too back then.

no offense taken po sa post ni mr agxo, sir masi

sa pag backread pa lang po, kita namang very informative siya rungkol sa wines :)

gaano po ba kadalas kayo mag eb? kung pwede lang sana sumali para may maka kwentuhan at matutunan sa inyo

my new portuguese wines just arrived, il be having a wine tasting most probably next week, il be launching vino portugal manila. limited to 5 invites only. masi you're invited. il confirm exact date and time, it will be held in Makati at Alliance francias. cheers!!!

That was true up to about 10 years ago. No need for it now. I haven't seen Ripple or Thunderbird lately, either. With Two-Buck Chuck readily available, who needs them? Although MD2020 was a bit higher in alcohol than the average Two-Buck.

And (this is a good thing!) college students these days are a bit more discriminating in their palates. Not to mention the fact that knowing "good" wine is now considered one way to get in good with the girls.

I saw a short ad on wine appreciation on the CCA website. Think this might be a good start to learning more about what I drink now? Hehe. Not for anything really but just so I know exactly what it is i can taste. I pretty much know what i like or don't like in a wine but do have a hard time verbally explaining myself.

@Nikki - hope your event is a success. How much would these new portugese wines of yours go for? Unless am pre-empting something, please ignore my question. :thumbsupsmiley:

I saw a short ad on wine appreciation on the CCA website. Think this might be a good start to learning more about what I drink now? Hehe. Not for anything really but just so I know exactly what it is i can taste. I pretty much know what i like or don't like in a wine but do have a hard time verbally explaining myself.

@Nikki - hope your event is a success. How much would these new portugese wines of yours go for? Unless am pre-empting something, please ignore my question. :thumbsupsmiley:

well for now my range for the portuguese is more on mid range price to high end, but eventually il be coming for the resto series and institutional account, my cheapest is around 900 which I can give 15% off. please let me know your contact details perhaps I can invite you to my tasting next week. thanks

my new portuguese wines just arrived, il be having a wine tasting most probably next week, il be launching vino portugal manila. limited to 5 invites only. masi you're invited. il confirm exact date and time, it will be held in Makati at Alliance francias. cheers!!!

Thanks for the invite. Look forward to it.

Guest lustfortravel

Gentlemen,

I just came from a formal dinner where a fight almost broke out because of an argument - of all things - on what is the correct way to hold a wine glass. :blink: It was a bit surreal considering it involved men with large egos who refused to admit they might be wrong. The wives were tempted to pick up the wine bottles to bash the heads of their respective husbands. :lol:

So tell me, what IS the right way to hold a wine glass?

Gentlemen,

I just came from a formal dinner where a fight almost broke out because of an argument - of all things - on what is the correct way to hold a wine glass. :blink: It was a bit surreal considering it involved men with large egos who refused to admit they might be wrong. The wives were tempted to pick up the wine bottles to bash the heads of their respective husbands. :lol:

I guess any way that would allow you to put the open part of the glass to your mouth!!!! :upside:

But seriously, I will never hold the glass where the wine is contained SIMPLY because our hands have our body temperature which is about 36.5 degree celsius which means the wine will warm up faster and the alcohol evaporating. :blink:

I hold my glass either by the stem or if I feel "sommelierish" I hold it by the wide flat base. This makes the wine easier to "swirl" around and let it "breathe".

I guess, it's not egos that lead to the "near exchange of blows" but they were not comfortable in their own skin! :thumbsdownsmiley:

Now if the argument was about which is the right glass to use for red Bordeaux and Burgundy wines or Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir, the discussion would have been more interesting. :P

Edited by masi
Gentlemen,

I guess any way that would allow you to put the open part of the glass to your mouth!!!! :upside:

But seriously, I will never hold the glass where the wine is contained SIMPLY because our hands have our body temperature which is about 36.5 degree celsius which means the wine will warm up faster and the alcohol evaporating. :blink:

I hold my glass either by the stem or if I feel "sommelierish" I hold it by the wide flat base. This makes the wine easier to "swirl" around and let it "breathe".

I guess, it's not egos that lead to the "near exchange of blows" but they were not comfortable in their own skin! :thumbsdownsmiley:

Now if the argument was about which is the right glass to use for red Bordeaux and Burgundy wines or Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir, the discussion would have been more interesting. :P

LOL. There's no really right way, but some will say don't hold the glass by the bowl because you'll heat up the wine. Would seem to be especially true for white wines that you would want to drink a bit cooler than reds. However, if you're just pickup the glass and taking a sip the putting it down you won't be holding the glass long enough to really transfer heat. Which makes the whole discussion irrelevant.

It's useful to note that I like my reds cooler than most and my whites warmer - but that's just MY taste! I like my reds at around 65 deg F, whites at about 55-60 def F. Except for champagnes (and other bubblies) that I like at around 45-50 deg F. And some sweet whites at around the same temperature range.

But to fight over what's the best way to hold the glass? That's just plain silly. Egotistical, and excruciatingly juvenile. As Masi says - however it takes for you to get the glass to your mouth to take a sip!!! For all the time they spent arguing they could have run an experiment to see if indeed holding the glass by the bowl is bad, or if holding it by the stem vs. the base makes any differnce at all. (It doesn't, BTW, except that holding it by the base leaves you more prone to spilling the wine, and THAT would be a crime!

Edited by agxo3
Gentlemen,

^^^ tama; the stem or tha base for the above mentioned reasons

Stem or base, so as not to change the temp of the wine.

But when it comes to brandy, one must hold it by the glass so as to warm it up.

Then again, if you're having it in Greece, you won't need to worry about stems - they don't have any. hehehe

Recently, I became fond of Argento, a Malbec from Argentina. It is very rich, fruit forward, and so cheap at below P400. This wine is distributed by Bacchus.

This is a wine na pang-araw araw. Yey!

http://www.winebeersupermarket.com/photos/779445000880G.jpg

Edited by idunno
LOL. There's no really right way, but some will say don't hold the glass by the bowl because you'll heat up the wine. Would seem to be especially true for white wines that you would want to drink a bit cooler than reds. However, if you're just pickup the glass and taking a sip the putting it down you won't be holding the glass long enough to really transfer heat. Which makes the whole discussion irrelevant.

It's useful to note that I like my reds cooler than most and my whites warmer - but that's just MY taste! I like my reds at around 65 deg F, whites at about 55-60 def F. Except for champagnes (and other bubblies) that I like at around 45-50 deg F. And some sweet whites at around the same temperature range.

But to fight over what's the best way to hold the glass? That's just plain silly. Egotistical, and excruciatingly juvenile. As Masi says - however it takes for you to get the glass to your mouth to take a sip!!! For all the time they spent arguing they could have run an experiment to see if indeed holding the glass by the bowl is bad, or if holding it by the stem vs. the base makes any differnce at all. (It doesn't, BTW, except that holding it by the base leaves you more prone to spilling the wine, and THAT would be a crime!

Stem or base, so as not to change the temp of the wine.

But when it comes to brandy, one must hold it by the glass so as to warm it up.

Then again, if you're having it in Greece, you won't need to worry about stems - they don't have any. hehehe

I've watched some wine, food and travel shows where in some rural areas in France and Italy, wine is served in small, stemless glassware and I don't see people fighting!!!!

Reidel has a line of stemless glassware.

Edited by masi
Guest lustfortravel

Thank you for your answers, gentlemen. :)

I think the fact that one of them said within everyone's hearing " You don't hold it like a sissy by the stem, stupid" had something to do with the "near exchange of blows". :lol:

Oh, you'd be surprised at how juvenile some people can be, especially those who think they are "Mr.-I'm always-right-and-you-are-always wrong". And spilling good wine would be a crime but if it tasted anything like cough syrup ( and come to think of it, it DID taste a bit like cough syrup), I'd say it rightly belonged over the heads of those two egomaniacs.

Thank you for your answers, gentlemen. :)

I think the fact that one of them said within everyone's hearing " You don't hold it like a sissy by the stem, stupid" had something to do with the "near exchange of blows". :lol:

I suggest that you should tell this person to put more fiber in his diet!

Then tell him to follow these links!

http://www.encyclowine.org/?title=Champagne_flute

http://nymag.com/restaurants/articles/wine...ls/stemware.htm

Oh, you'd be surprised at how juvenile some people can be, especially those who think they are "Mr.-I'm always-right-and-you-are-always wrong". And spilling good wine would be a crime but if it tasted anything like cough syrup ( and come to think of it, it DID taste a bit like cough syrup), I'd say it rightly belonged over the heads of those two egomaniacs.

If it tasted like good wine it wouldn't taste like cough syrup, in which case, it would be a crime to serve it and maybe spilling it in a silly fight over a silly argument is probably the best use for the wine! :thumbsupsmiley:

What? I'm NOT always right? How dare you say that to me? :lol: I can be a type-A arrogant snob sometimes, too, but even I know when something's too trivial to argue over.

Edited by agxo3
Guest lustfortravel
What? I'm NOT always right? How dare you say that to me? :lol: I can be a type-A arrogant snob sometimes, too, but even I know when something's too trivial to argue over.

hmmm, you sound like someone i know, sir agxo ( calling boomouse ! :rolleyes: :P -kidding!) but i'm sure you are never wrong, especially when it comes to wine and photography ( a bit OT but i enjoyed your lectures in the photography hobby thread ^_^ )

now that explains the rather strange behavior of your guests. Any medication wrongly applied would do that :rolleyes:

then again, i'm no wine expert , bods- i think everything tastes like cough syrup so what do i know? :lol:

Edited by lustfortravel