concha y toro, the pillars of chilean wine industry... tell me, does chile have a long history of wine making... if i can recall they got into this french stronghold just very recently... the influence of chilean wines in the worldwide market is pretty significant... perhaps, it maybe the reason rosthchild is now making wines in chile.

Wines have been made in Chile since Spanish times, but it's been only in the past several decades that Chilean wines have gained recognition. A large part of it is the continuing drive to incease production, and to do it at reasonable prices. Land at decent prices, and a good grape growing climate made Chile a good place to invest.

bods, how was the ravenswood... any more to spare?

let me know when you are free, perhaps we can buy a bottle at wine depot and share it...  something like a adhoc eb...

hey pare that sounds fun!

an EB on the run :P

sige - this week perhaps? where shall we drink it?

personally I'd like to try the other wines there...

the Ravenswood I had tasted a bit more charming than when I drank it last Christmas but I guess I my taste buds have been weaned too much on Aussie shiraz, but I don't know.....

hey pare that sounds fun!

an EB on the run :P

sige - this week perhaps? where shall we drink it?

personally I'd like to try the other wines there...

the Ravenswood I had tasted a bit more charming than when I drank it last Christmas but I guess I my taste buds have been weaned too much on Aussie shiraz, but I don't know.....

we should've drank this evening... i really needed 1. i stayed up late in the office to finish a report for my principals in tokyo...

on the way home, i imagined sipping a 5-year old vintage shiraz .. smell its youthful bouquet resplendant of spring in bloom, taste a balance of berries, currant and a tinge of spice to tickle every tastebud on my tongue and its a smooth fleeting tail.

pare... this week is ok... you know me, i drive where the wine is calling...you call the place... i'll be there..

what was the vintage of your Ravenswood... i think that 6 months in storage added to its grace.

As the name of the thread implies, lots of winos here. And some who, like you, cannot drink much if at all, but like to live vicariously. So we exchange nots and try to describe the wines to each other. And talk about how wine is made, how to appreciate it, how to store it, etc. So - welcome to the group and I hope this leads to more and better appreciation of wine for you. Since you can't drink as much as some of us, then perhaps you should look at wines that you can get in splits (half-bottles). Most wines are bottled this way in addition to the normal bottle sizes, but not all are available everywhere.

Not familiar with Cono Sur but it sounds suspiciously like a made-up name (does it sound like "connoiseur"?? Hmmmmm......  :unsure: ). Tell us more. Where's it from? What's it like? What flavors do you taste?

tnx agso...i actually have idea how wine is made, store, taste of some grape variety but just the famous ones..true, it's hard to find half bottle wines and they are more expensive. so i'd rather buy a regular bottle and i can always give it away to my mom or other ppl if i couldn't consume the whole bottle...masaya pa sila :)

Cono Sur is from Chile...it's a subsidiary of Concha Y Toro. bago lang sya 1990s lang sya nag start....for the taste? ...i really dunno how to explain the taste...uhm, the tannins isn't that strong, smooth sya and has a long finish. flavors? i don't know what flavor :) d ako marunong pano detect wat fruit/herbs e... i prefer merlot actually but this one (Cono Sur ORganic wine) is a cabernet sauv/carmenere, nagustuhan ko din kahit cabernet..natatapangan kc ako usually sa cab sauv. mga 500+ ito.

Happy Father's day to everyone!

more than duhat wine, anyone tasted mango wine?  or the strawberry wine from baguio?

i've been drinking much scotch whisky lately... i havent opened a bottle of wine in weeks simply because i have no one to drink it with... dont want to let an opened bottle spoil with this heat

an opened bottle can remain good for 3 sometimes 4 days....

but a real good one to me lasts for a couple of days only.....

kahit solo ako pare, I drink wine :P

I usually keep an open bottle no more than 4 days. After that, they're just not worth drinking. And some only last 2 days! But there are a couple of tricks for keeping wine longer.

1) transfer the wine to a small bottle that you can fill, and have very little air after you fill it. Totally full with no remaining air is best. If you can't fill up the small bottle consider dropping in some marbles (make sure they're glass marbles, not metal or stone, and make sure they're clean) to take up the remaining volume and get rid of the air. The air is what enables oxidation. Not a problem in an unopened bottle because the little amoutn of air in there gets used up pretty quickly, but a half full bottle has a LOT of oxygen in there.

2) use a nitrogen spray - available here, but I don't know about over there. Seems to work best with white wines.

3) no matter what method you use to seal up the wine, make sure it is airtight. AND put the wine (both white AND red) into the refrigerator. the cold will slow down any bacterial action in the wine (remember wine is a livign thing!) as well as the oxidation from the air in the bottle.

My good wine usually keeps 4 days with at least the keep cold trick. If I use the nitrogen or if I transfer to a small bottle, it lasts up to a week.

I did find some half and quarter bottles made specifically for keeping wine. A bit expensive, but for a good wine I would guess it would be worth it. Have to go back to where I saw it because I was unable to buy them at the time.

Went out to dinner tonight and had 2 glasses of wine - first, a Gloria Ferrer Brut California sparkler (2000). Nice. Gloria Ferrer makes a good bully in the French tradition - IOW, not as sweet as most other California sparklers. Second, a Rancho Zabaco 2002 zin. Nice fruit, loads of black pepper on the finish. Smoke and leather on the nose. Nice red berries. This wine has a few more years of development, maybe 2 more, before it tops out. For a wine designed to drink now, that's really good!

I never really thought of putting an opened wine into the fridge - I had this notion that it would get puckery - I mean, the reds ( the whites I always put in the fridge after opening). I should try this again. Thanks pare for the tips....

am surprised to see lots of infos abt wine here. am not really a wine drinker but my friend owns a wine shop and sometimes i drink a little, tambay ako minsan sa kanila.....am just curious what's the taste difference of wines coming from france, chile, spain, italy, australia, etc?...coz some ppl prefer one country from the other, while some hate wines from the other countries. i noticed some asians prefer wines from france while the europeans, americans prefer australian, chilean n some of them dont like french. but for me, they all taste the same :)

actually, they have lots of cheap wines as well as premium to high-end wines...the cheap wines are table wines mostly from spain n a few chilean wines as well (they're located at market! market!) the cheap wine sells really good (below P200)....i know they're not exactly a good wine but many ppl talaga binabalikan yun...even foreigners! (chika ng mga tindera dun) i guess kanya kanyang taste buds na lang cguro yan.... some customers wud ask w/c is a good wine (kakalito nga sa dami) tapos he wud show them high-end wines,but they wouldn't like the price so step down sympre sa medyo mura...kaloka minsan...wala kc free taste e.

...so far nagustuhan ko e yung Cono Sur oRganic wine, it's a combination of cab. sauv and carmenere. i didnt get a headache here....normally kc when i drink, my face wud go really red n i wud get a headache after...less than half glass lang yun ha. i can't finish half glass of wine. ...saka bilib ako when a person can described the wine he/she drinks coz i duno how to describe them or explain.

most drinkers have biases so it does not really tell whether a wine from such a locale is better or not.

Some of them have taken to New World wines (Australia, Chile, South Africa, NZ, etc) better than the so-called Old World wines (France, Italy, Spain, etc). I for one does not go much for French wines because I'v made it a point not to drink anything I can't pronounce correctly :P

New world wines generally have newer state-of-the-art methods and Australia for one has pioneered in the sanitary way of producing wines. Old world tend to be more traditional. But all of them is good, give or take a few bad ones...

Cono Sur has been in the country for a long time and it was one of the first wines I had when I was just beginning. It didn't make quite an impression to me (come to think of it, I haven't been impressed by any Chilean for a long time now) but judging from your description I think I can give it anothr go.

welcome to the thread!

cheers!

we should've drank this evening... i really needed 1.  i stayed up late in the office to finish a report for my principals in tokyo...

on the way home, i imagined sipping a 5-year old vintage shiraz .. smell its youthful bouquet resplendant of spring in bloom, taste  a balance of berries, currant and a tinge of spice to tickle every tastebud on my tongue and its a smooth fleeting tail.

pare... this week is ok... you know me, i drive where the wine is calling...you call the place... i'll be there..

what was the vintage of your Ravenswood... i think that 6 months in storage added to its grace.

pare how about tomorrow Thursday......

I really can't think of a place where we can bring our own wine....

I like the idea of us meeting in Wine Depot and choosing the wine we would drink - a lot of interesting choices there..

so if we have a place, tomorrow is it...

text you tomorrow morning...

the Ravenswood was 2001 but my storage sucks, as always :P

I never really thought of putting an opened wine into the fridge - I had this notion that it would get puckery - I mean, the reds ( the whites I always put in the fridge after opening). I should try this again. Thanks pare for the tips....

i think putting a bottle in the fridge before uncorking would do wonders, even for a red. i came across an article that there is a preferred "room temperature" for reds which is I think between 18-degrees to 25-degrees celsius ( i stand corrected here)...

with the average temperature here in the 30s, even higher, it would be nice to cool the palate with the rich flavors of your favorite reds...

pare how about tomorrow Thursday......

I really can't think of a place where we can bring our own wine....

I like the idea of us meeting in Wine Depot and choosing the wine we would drink - a lot of interesting choices there..

so if we have a place, tomorrow is it...

text you tomorrow morning...

the Ravenswood was 2001 but my storage sucks, as always :P

doesn't wine depot have a place for drinking... i haven't been there so it would be a discovery... let's meet somewhere in pasig or mandaluyong...

i maybe be coming from q.c. tomorrow... so around 6 to 630 seem to be good.

doesn't wine depot have a place for drinking... i haven't been there so it would be a discovery... let's meet somewhere in pasig or mandaluyong...

i maybe be coming from q.c. tomorrow... so around 6 to  630 seem to be good.

pare you can't drink at Wine Depot or else :P

ok there's a Wine Depot in Julia Vargas - it's not as big as the one in Malugay but it would do since it's more convenient tomorrow....

ok we meet there at 630 tomorrow...

bahala na pare kung saan natin iinumin :P

Anybody else wanna cum for the ride tomorrow - it's all hazy and biglaan but what the heck!

6:30 pm Wine Depot Julia Vargas Ave. (it's in the Home Depot Complex)

Hahaha naman Bods!  Kung 6 or 6:30 sa Wine Depot sa Makati eh am good to go since it's just a skip and a hop away.  I'd get to Ortigas at 8pm yet :(

oh Lipstick... i think you just gave bods an choice where he really has none :D .... he cant refuse...

i was really bent on playing golf after lunch then hop over to wine depot ... but if bods decides to meet up in makati then i might as well play in the morning then go to work :angry: after lunch...

you guys decide on the venue... i just drink and drive..... and drink..... and drink.... :wacko:

oh Lipstick... i think you just  gave bods an choice where he really has none :D .... he cant refuse... 

i was really bent on playing golf after lunch then hop over to wine depot ... but if bods decides to meet up in makati then i might as well play in the morning then go to work :angry:  after lunch...

you guys decide on the venue... i just drink and drive.....  and drink..... and drink.... :wacko:

Hehe. I didn't mean to spoil your schedule Masi. :(

Let's do this, stick to your original plan ... and I'll catch up with you guys wherever you are at around 8pm. :) Sounds good?

Hehe.  I didn't mean to spoil your schedule Masi. :(

Let's do this, stick to your original plan ... and I'll catch up with you guys wherever you are at around 8pm. :)  Sounds good?

whatever works for bods and yourself works for me....

bods, i may not be in the office, so sms would be best way to reach me...my phone might be in vibra mode the whole day... just a little playing coutesy...

whatever works for bods and yourself works for me....

bods, i may not be in the office, so sms would be best way to reach me...my phone might be in vibra mode the whole day...  just a little playing coutesy...

I just got a call for an emergency 5pm meeting which may last longggg beyond 6pm so please proceed with your original plans and I'll catch up wherever the winos may be. :)

I just got a call for an emergency 5pm meeting which may last longggg beyond 6pm so please proceed with your original plans and I'll catch up wherever the winos may be. :)

bods, looks like its you and I again on thursday -- dealing with a naughty and flirtatious shiraz tingling our senses... if the venue becomes too uncertainty... churchills at the backside of shang edsa would be our rendezvous point... we can drink our wine and smoke some stoggies.

am good, wherever...

bods,  looks like its you and I again on thursday -- dealing with a naughty and flirtatious shiraz tingling our senses...  if the venue becomes too uncertainty... churchills at the backside of shang edsa would be our rendezvous point... we can drink our wine and smoke some stoggies.

am good, wherever...

Are you winos going to be done by 8pm??? :blink: I'll be there! But I won't have a bottle with me since I won't have time to drop by wine depot :(

You do have to let the reds come back up to temperature before drinking. I like my reds slightly cooler than most people do, and my whites slightly warmer. So reds I take out of the fridge about a half hour before drinking, the white about 15 minutes. I have my fridge set to 38 deg F so it is pretty cold!

ok we stick to the original plan....

(since spurt is also here and he might not go online again till meeting time)

6:30 PM MEETING POINT - WINE DEPOT Julia Vargas Ave.

after which we bring the bottle/s to wherever we can drink it - most likely Churchill's Edsa Shamg.

ok we stick to the original plan....

(since spurt is also here and he might not go online again till meeting time)

6:30 PM MEETING POINT - WINE DEPOT Julia Vargas Ave.

after which we bring the bottle/s to wherever we can drink it - most likely Churchill's Edsa Shamg.

see you there... bods... spurt....

miss manners you can restart the diet... if you carry some guilt after drinking....

lipstick.. most probably we'll be there by 8.