i am bound to try everything not much with the conventions now.  friends say i am so stiff, right pinoy? as i have posted earlier, i even want to try spanish whites --- wines, i may add! :P  or sangria...  together with callos, etc.

i may try apple wine and give my notes, well at least i could try with my limited eloquence.  We (bods, pinoy and i spurt didnt make it) manage to arrange impromptu ebs... we just give about 10 hour notice...we'll try to be shy as well  :D .. meet him?  the pleasure is similarly ours!  this will be a discovery for everyone...

Hahahaha, my my I reckon I would be the most shy one in such fantabulous company! My fave boys from the board and of course my most favorite in real life. :boo:

You know pare, you have a good nose and well I just remembered you as I posted in the FAVE SCENTS thread. I recently picked up this wonderful bottle of perfume and was describing it .... and it just hit me that describing parfums is like describing wine as it has all these different and complex top, mid and base notes. You could work for a fragrance house. :)

Anyway the bottle I picked up made me crave for a traminer riesling. :)

BUKING NA!!! :boo:  d na nagkakatugma ang mga sinasabi natin....pati yung ininom bulol-bulol na!  no wonder you guys are not politicians!!! you are BAD at keeping secrets and telling LIES!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  remind me, that i should not give you any appointed positions when i get elected (you read it right! ELECTED!!!!  DONT... EVEN.... think of reading it in japanese phonetics!!!!!) :lol:

bumalik lang sa 'pinas si lipstick... may "adams"-gate na!!!!! HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I am right about the Nuit, pare ha - Joseph Drouhin hehehe

if you do not give us appointed positions, then we will get ourselves elected too, right mr. pinoy? We rob, I mean love the Filipino pipol :P

not a gato but a generic vin de table (aka table wine) which has been lying in our kitchen... but it has not been touched!!!!  buti pa yung red wine vinegar ko sa ref, may pakingabang!!!

boy, all this typing made me thirsty.  can i offer you anything to drink?  B)  (kung gro ako, drinks ka pa!?) :evil:

I see that the Romanian has bear false witness, your Honor. It seems that this Romanian is fond of pussies, I mean cats or gatos, that he mistakes a wine bottle for a feline :P

I suggest, your Honor, that he be made to drink that red wine vinegar that's chilling in your ref hehehe..

what's that I hear - a GRO?

Your honors.  I stand corrected.  signore masi did not have a gato negro, but he had admitted he had something far worse... An Alexis Lichine table wine.  But we decided to forgive him because he cooks well and let us drink his wife's excellent French wines.

Shall there be another WEB?  I am waiting with bated breath and parched lips for the next bottle (or is it bottles?).

hahaha nagkabukingan lalo ah - hey mr. pinoy make up your mind :P

I admit Alexis Lichine is far worse :sick:

pare mukhang payag ka na Alexis Lichine ang inumin mo as long as he cooks for us and despoil his wife's wines...

barring any cataclysmic event (like Erap going back to power) there should be another WEB hehe

That doesn't absolve you from the perjury you have just committed... for falsely accusing me of having gato negro!!! for that you drink the table wine in my house while bods, lipstick (sama ka!?) and i shall consume the raimat pinot noir 1999.... :blush:

btw, bods, pinoy et. al.  i was at barcino's last saturday morning ( read vamos a comer!) and had a good exchange with the husband owner... i just had this idea of getting some of the spanish de latas there and consuming it with a big bottle of sangria (they have it there too) or some spanish whites (no pinoy hindi mestiza ang pinaguusapan)!!!  :lol: just a thought !!! let me know what you think!!!  B)

they already have tapas sampler!  they didnt mind the tobacco smoke and we are still welcome.  I was told that there is a group of mestizas who are regulars, perhaps we can merge ebs.. hehehehe....

pare what varietal ba is their Spanish whites?

for a while there I thought that the mestizas were their samplers for you did not mention what their tapas samplers were hehehe..

Ok yun.  kahit walang Spansih mestiza, we can still drink.  Tempranilla ba yun?  So for the next WEB, I hope Ms. Lipstick can attend.  Para naman may fair sex tayo at di lang puro lalake.  If she attends I will drink the table wine, peks man. 

If she does not attend, I will have what u guys are having, a Nuit.

pare naubos na natin yung Nuit, di ba? :P

yeah, I kinda miss that tempranillo - I think we should have that again..

Hahahaha! I had my "crossing the Rubicon" event in '99 when I tasted N-C's Rubicon for the bery first time. I twas at the Rubvicon release party - I had joined the wine club just to get invited to this event! - and they were pouring the '95 Rubicon. Mmmmmmmm - I cna still remember that soft, luscious black gold flowing across my tongue, releasing its plum and black cherry flavors. The soft tannins, that light touch of strawberry, that hint of smoke. And THEN I became a Bordeaux-blend fan! Since then I've bought at least 3 bottles of each release. Good thing I get 25% off during the release events.

pare could you tell us again what the Rubicon is made of - I forgot na eh :P

Well he is pakistani by origin (his erpats was) but grew up in the land of fine tea (formerly known as Ceylon).  At least yan yung kwento nya sa amin. :D

Hindi lang sa kangkungan tayo pupulutin lahat kundi sa Camp Crame!  May magpapadampot sa atin!  :lol:

Ows? :rolleyes:  eh bakit ayaw ninyo i-kwento hah hah hah????? :P

Let me remind you about the account suspension. :rolleyes:

:lol:

kaya pala - kababayan pala ni Ronnie Nathanielsz yun :sick:

Camp Crame? Takut aku :goatee: If anybody's gonna pick us up, I hope they will also pick up the check :P

Yes you are ... at mataas pa ang EQ mo! :lol:  Forbidden fruit. :lol:  So juicy and delicious. :lol:  Speaking of apples .... what's your take on apple wine?  (ayan pra di OT! wahahahahahhaha).  No apologies needed for the disclosure, since the words have set themselves free (pero curious pa rin ako ano yung giveaway? :lol: Am awfully daft tonight ... lacking vino kasi).  I hope I can convince him to accompany me to the Neruda cum Wine thingy for A_ngel.  He's an awfully shy man.  I'd love for you boys to meet him and him to meet all of you too :)

Asaan na nga si Bods???????  Nasa Cebu kaya? :lol:

hehehe ano naman ang gagawin ko sa Cebu? I'd rather be up North :rolleyes:

yes, we'd love to meet the one you talk of :)

A food and wine pairing would be good to do. There are a number of restaurants here that offer a prix fixe menu with an option for wines paired to the dishes. At 71 St. Peter, for example, a 4 course dinner is $30, and the wine pairing in which the chef and sommelier select the wines is an additional $15. That's 4 glasses of wine for that price - what a deal! Manresa also has a similar deal - $58 for a 4 course prix fixe dinner and $30 more for wine. They're higher end than 71 St. Peter, and the food's the next level up, as is the wine selection. The ultimate for this is The French Laundry in Yountville (owned and operated by Thomas Keller who was once named the best chef in North America). Last time I checked, a 7 course dinner was $150 and matching wines add another $60 or so. But what a dinner! And the wines really do complement the food so well, it's unbelievable!

Are you feeling better after the strawberry milk? Gotta get better and back on the vino! A bottle a day keeps the doctor away!  :P

speaking of the French Laundry, I read that Thomas Keller is planning to set-up another resto in NYC.

It has been said that Thomas Keller makes his cooks climb up everyday to clean the grease off the kitchen hoods, his fava beans are peeled raw, he lovingly stores his fish belly down, like in their natural swimming position, in the freezer, how he was able to come up with a salmon chop using that oft-ignored piece of flesh and bones somewhere inside a salmon's jaw...

If you have the inclination, time and money, better be in France before the month ends. It has been reported that French winemakers will be handing out 400,000 bottles later this month at toll booths and rural roads in southern France. :blink:

Along with the free wines, leaflets will be distributed explaining the current overproduction crisis in the French wine industry. A large part of the 2004 production has remained unsold and French winemakers have been given permission to convert some amount of appellation wines into spirits via distillation. It seems there is another bumper crop this year and this would only aggravate the present crisis.

I don't know if this is good or bad but it seems wine producers led by California vintners have been steadily increasing the alcohol content in wine - from what was 12% before to a hefty 14 to 16% now.

Experts say the reason is that winemakers are trying to make wines with more flavor and to do that, ultra-ripe grapes are used - which in effect leads to more alcohol during fermentation.

Most people won't know the difference, and the alcohol content is in small print on the bottle. The problem is that even a 4% increase in alcohol is equal to an extra half-glass of beer with every glass of wine. For people with health problems, two glasses of wine which used to be safe before may not be that advisable anymore with an increase in alcohol.

pare could you tell us again what the Rubicon is made of - I forgot na eh :P

since agxo is not here...

the NC Rubicon is blended primarily from cabernet sauvignon. what's special with this one in particular is the use of 100% organically farmed grapes sourced directly from estate vineyards. lab analysis has verified that the clone they have propagated since 1960 has the same genetic material as the vines originally brought back from france in the 1880s. from what i understand, this cabernet sauvignon was first planted in the early 1880s by the inglenook founder.

Edited by eagleyes
since agxo is not here...

the NC Rubicon is blended primarily from cabernet sauvignon. what's special with this one in particular is the use of 100% organically farmed grapes sourced directly from estate vineyards. lab analysis has verified that the clone selection they have propagated since 1960 has the same genetic material as the vines originally brought back from france in the 1880s. from what i understand, this cabernet sauvignon was first planted in the early 1880s by the inglenook founder.

thanks pare!

I should have guessed it was cabernet sauvignon from the blackcherry and smoky description of agxo....I believe a Capt. Niebaum originally bought this estate from the Inglenooks - or is it the other way around? Then Francis Coppola got hold of the property....

Wine is often described using words we know from other tastes and smells.This is because wine is made of chemical compounds similar to those found in fruits, vegetables and spices. Different grapes are associated with different aromas/tastes of different compounds.

The following is a wine flavor profile of common grape varieties. I have purposely omitted those fruits which are not familiar to us here:

White Grapes:

Chardonnay - butter, melon, apple, pineapple, vanilla (if oaked)

Sauvignon blanc - asparagus

Semillon - honey, orange, lime

Riesling - citrus fruits, honey

Gewurtztraminer - lychees, spice

Viognier - peaches, pear

Red Grapes:

Cabernet Sauvignon - chocolate, mint, tobacco

Pinot Noir - cherry, raspberry

Zinfandel - mint, mixed spices, black cherry

Shiraz - tobacco, pepper

Grenache - smoky, pepper

Tempranillo - vanilla, strawberry, tobacco

Sangiovese - herbs, leathery, earthy

Merlot - plums, pepper, coffee

Cabernet franc - tobacco, grass

finally found the flavor chart - well it's not a wheel actually :P

pareng agxo - is this what you're referring to?

I hope this helps beginners......

there's not much I omitted, pare, but here are the others:

Sauvinon blanc - gooseberries

Gewurtztraminer - rose petals

Viognier - nutmeg, apricot

Chenin blanc - wet wool, beeswax, almond

Marsanne - honeysuckle, marzipan

Pinot noir - raspberry, violets

Zinfandel - black cherry

Shiraz - blackberry

Grenache - raspberry'

Sangiovese - black cherry

Merlot - black cherry

Cabernet franc - raspberry

Cabernet sauvignon - blackcurrants

addition to the flavor chart - mostly flavors associated with fruits we don't have here....

thanks pare!

I should have guessed it was cabernet sauvignon from the blackcherry and smoky description of agxo....I believe a Capt. Niebaum originally bought this estate from the Inglenooks - or is it the other way around? Then Francis Coppola got hold of the property....

(captain) gustav niebaum actually founded inglenook in 1880

honga pala, i'd like to squeeze an eb with you, masi, and the gang into my very tight schedule. either sep 1 or sep 2, perhaps?

Edited by eagleyes
Pinoy, see told you ( d ka kasi naniniwala sa kalbo! :P ), Lipstick wont OT you unless you serve her Carlo Rossi and call it a premium wine!!!! :lol:

The next best thing you could do is STOP! posting in other threads!!!! It's an opinionated virtual world this MTC, and some may not be in the same thought horizon!!!!

I dont mind having a warning, at least I've said my piece.. what matters in the real world where people have real names and faces deserving of respect and praise!

Let's all drink to that!!!!

You said it, pare! This is the BEST thread in MTC to be on. Wine does bring people together!

Senyor, nakakita na ako ng Opus One sa Bangkok.  I have to say the label just looks so elegant.  Real purrrrty.  Maganda din ang presyo!  Some 330 USD :blink:

How much???? What vintage was it? That's high! Even with duties and such it should be around USD200.

I saw some at Costco the other day for $105. Didn't pay much attention to it (personal biases - I am upset at their wine tasting policies at the winery) but I think it was a 2001.

speaking of the French Laundry, I read that Thomas Keller is planning to set-up another resto in NYC.

It has been said that Thomas Keller makes his cooks climb up everyday to clean the grease off the kitchen hoods, his fava beans are peeled raw, he lovingly stores his fish belly down, like in their natural swimming position, in the freezer, how he was able to come up with a salmon chop using that oft-ignored piece of flesh and bones somewhere inside a salmon's jaw...

It's open na! Called Per Se. Small - only 15 tables! All meals are prix fixe - $175 a person.

He also has a bistro called Bouchon also in Yountville, and another in Las Vegas called Bouchon Las Vegas in the Venetian Resort.

Which reminds me, Lips - A_ngel is from Vegas. Didn't know she was going to be there this week! I've been off the OS board for a while now - it degenrated into a 2 person chat room for a while and I had no patience for it - but for a while it was really nice.

I will be in Vegas next month (right in the middle of my kitchen remodel! Good timiong, huh?) for a school reunion and will make every effort to go visit Bouchon and have dinner there. IF I am successful in my endeavor, I will post a review.

... how he was able to come up with a salmon chop using that oft-ignored piece of flesh and bones somewhere inside a salmon's jaw...

this is not abit surprising bods! most filipino restos carry the sinigang na ulo ng salmon and i practically devour the fish head - lips, cheeks, soft tissue and tendons!!! if the broth is prepared right, as in "naglalaban and tamis at asim" this dish is tops!!!

(captain) gustav niebaum actually founded inglenook in 1880

honga pala, i'd like to squeeze an eb with you, masi, and the gang into my very tight schedule. either sep 1 or sep 2, perhaps?

leading to your trip here, let us know your schedule... bods and i will round up the cattle... <_< errr... line up the glasses!!! we'll arrange a night of good conversation, laughter, good wine, food and company!

hahaha nagkabukingan lalo ah - hey mr. pinoy make up your mind :P

I admit Alexis Lichine is far worse :sick:

pare mukhang payag ka na Alexis Lichine ang inumin mo as long as he cooks for us and despoil his wife's wines...

barring any cataclysmic event (like Erap going back to power) there should be another WEB hehe

wala na vino ang missis ko ubos na namin ni pinoy!!! speaking of ebs... why dont we meet, friday? same time, same venue... maybe a fresh mix of greens with arugula and fruits dashed with a red wine vinaig or simple EVOO and garlic... a rose to keep the high spirit flowing!!! let me know what you guys and lady think!!! sms...