so where have you been? :rolleyes:

welcome back!

nobody's OT or OP or whatever here :P

hi bods...been away for a week. was at the Holiday Inn Clark Field for one long week. :P Didnt manage to open my emails and surf mtc coz my laptop crashed!!! now I am back with my old laptop but new HDD. :)

Masi - here is my post... :P hope i'll do well...here it goes..

last Wednesday I tried my skill on tasting shiraz. It was a Norman Lone Gum Cabernet Shiraz 2000.I took a sip of it and sad to say ... didnt like it much..I guess I need to train myself to appreciate wine more coz I am no wine drinker. So the wine was oaky and bitter..it taste like wood or soil to that effect ... it was spicy and dry..the scent was strong, you can smell the amount of alcohol and it was bit peppery I can say. Color wise it was dark purple and the traces of alcohol is very much high as you can see the traces of the liquid as it flows in the glass. hmmmmm .... good enough for a first timer?

that's it for now....thanks to my good coach MASI. :)

hi bods...been away for a week. was at the Holiday Inn Clark Field for one long week. :P Didnt manage to open my emails and surf mtc coz my laptop crashed!!! now I am back with my old laptop but new HDD. :)

last Wednesday I tried my skill on tasting shiraz. It was a Norman Lone Gum Cabernet Shiraz 2000.I took a sip of it and sad to say ... didnt like it much..I guess I need to train myself to appreciate wine more coz I am no wine drinker. So the wine was oaky and bitter..it taste like wood or soil to that effect ... it was spicy and dry..the scent was strong, you can smell the amount of alcohol and it was bit peppery I can say. Color wise it was dark purple and the traces of alcohol is very much high as you can see the traces of the liquid as it flows in the glass. hmmmmm .... good enough for a first timer?

you have much to thank agxo, bods, lipstick, eagleyes and a host of aficionados in this thread, as i have to thank them, as well.

great post!!! in hind sight, was the experience pleasant for you? if it was, what made it so? if not, were there expectations not met? how did the alcohol impact on you since you have allergies?

colorwise, a cab shiraz would be deep red in color bordering violet. our true aussie wine drinkers, bods and lipstick could confirm this. for the scent, were there any familiar scents that you could identify like cherries, raspberries, etc. aside from being peppery? how did it feel in you mouth as you drank it and consumed the wine?

practically, the experience you went through was no different from what most if not all wine drinkers would go through... from the visual to the nose, to the sensation it provided your palate and the follow through. it's just a matter of being able identify those sensations at every stage in the process and being able to build a structure.

you did a very good review!... now you have to contribute more. have a good one.

click on this link so you can get a view of the winemaker's notes http://www.wineontheweb.co.uk/a-z/valuesa-...uesa-z_469.html

Edited by masi

hi! pwede makigulo?

hubby and i enjoy a glass of wine every night. yun nga lang, we don't have the same taste in wines - he loves merlots and i go for shiraz. plus, since we consume a bottle every 2 or 3 days, we stick with the more affordable wines. so far, the cheapest wine that we both like is the chez samantha. it's a french table wine that has a fruity taste and is really easy on the palate. wholesale it costs less than P200 (we bought cases directly from happy living corporation. you can also get bottles from arellano's wine depot). hubby loves the 2002 merlot from stimson estate (available in shopwise at around P530 per bottle, or per glass in lily at the hyatt at around P200 per glass). i find it a bit too strong, though. i love the jacob's creek 2002 shiraz (available everywhere at around P450 per bottle). it tastes a bit heavier than the chez samantha and has a stronger kick.

hi! pwede makigulo?

hubby and i enjoy a glass of wine every night. yun nga lang, we don't have the same taste in wines - he loves merlots and i go for shiraz. plus, since we consume a bottle every 2 or 3 days, we stick with the more affordable wines. so far, the cheapest wine that we both like is the chez samantha. it's a french table wine that has a fruity taste and is really easy on the palate. wholesale it costs less than P200 (we bought cases directly from happy living corporation. you can also get bottles from arellano's wine depot). hubby loves the 2002 merlot from stimson estate (available in shopwise at around P530 per bottle, or per glass in lily at the hyatt at around P200 per glass). i find it a bit too strong, though. i love the jacob's creek 2002 shiraz (available everywhere at around P450 per bottle). it tastes a bit heavier than the chez samantha and has a stronger kick.

hey welcome to the thread!

Jacob's Creek was one of the wines I truly enjoyed when I was starting out - I remember the time it sold for only about less than P300. I used to buy a case of this at a time from BestWorld direct - their distributor here..Talking of prices I wonder why wine prices continue to go up when worldwide there is a grape glut. :angry: One thing for sure is the tariff here which keeps on increasing with every change in administration - also the rules at Customs whose change and interpretation is at the mercy of whoever is the Commisioner at the time....

Happy Living too - that's in Vito Cruz Ext. right? Do you live around that area? I also used to go there to buy wines direct from them although wala pa yata nun yung Chez Samantha na yan. Based on your favorable review, I think I'll go there again and check that out.

The Stimson is a bit unusual - that is, for a merlot to taste strong....

anyway welcome to the thread and we look forward to more posts from you as you seem to be some kind of a wino too like us :P

Do join us sometime together with the hubby....

I'm pretty sure I have to head out to Taiwan come end August/beginning September. And if at all possible I'll cordinate it with eagleeyes schedule. If I can make it I'll make sure to bring at least one buttle out of my stash. maybe the 2001 Retzlaff New Vines, or maybe one of my older bottles. I have a bunch that could stand to be opened and tasted right around now.......

I wonder who can do a wine-glass smiley for us? I'll see if I can make one up but since I am an engineer, not a graphic designer, I can't promise anything.

I do hope you can swing by, and good luck on that smiley :P

Specialty beers are the beers brewed in small quantities, usually at a microbrew. Also applied to many small-run European beers, such as Chimay or other Belgian beers.

Overproof rum is any rum that is over 80 proof, like Bacardi 151 (151 proof - 75.5% alcohol) .

The cask strength Talisker I've had is 90% (180 proof) straight out of the barrel. Impossible to drink straight (at least for me) and it's meant to be diluted 1:1 with distilled or purified mineral water.

I used to think microbrews were bland stuff....

That Bacardi sure looks like it's on fire! I think that's what masi was talking about..

And surely that Talisker can't be legal :lol:

pare what's the strongest wine in terms of alco content you've ever had? Still, dry wines lang ha, not the dessert wines....

hehehe that's excellent...it's everything you would describe a shiraz - oaky, spicy and peppery. Correct color but somehow your comment about traces of liquid flowing in the glass gives me some other images ooopss hehehe sorry...

where'd you get that Greg Norman???

Didn't know it was available here. Been hearing good reviews about it...

now here's some news for calorie-counters:

Beringer Blass has just released White Lie Early Season Chardonnay, a low calorie, low alcohol wine specifically marketed for female drinkers. It checks in at an insipid 9.8% alcohol - achieved by harvesting the grapes earlier so that it has lower Brix levels.

I wonder if Happy Living is still Beringer's distributor here. Beringer has merged with the Australian Wolf Blass - Blass has a different distributor here so what happens when you have all these mergers?

Who distributes what? :blink:

Mergers and consolidations in the liquor/wine world seem to be happening at a fast clip. Lately, Foster's acquired Southcorp - something you can't imagine before - what with the size and power of Southcorp. Now Lindemans and Rosemount is under the questionable distributing savvy of Foster's, which, by some news is planning to close down several Australian wineries (Rothbury is one) all in the name of consolidating profits and streamlining operations... :(

now here's some news for calorie-counters:

Beringer Blass has just released White Lie Early Season Chardonnay, a low calorie, low alcohol wine specifically marketed for female drinkers. It checks in at an insipid 9.8% alcohol - achieved by harvesting the grapes earlier so that it has lower Brix levels.

I wonder if Happy Living is still Beringer's distributor here. Beringer has merged with the Australian Wolf Blass - Blass has a different distributor here so what happens when you have all these mergers?

Who distributes what? :blink:

Mergers and consolidations in the liquor/wine world seem to be happening at a fast clip. Lately, Foster's acquired Southcorp - something you can't imagine before - what with the size and power of Southcorp. Now Lindemans and Rosemount is under the questionable distributing savvy of Foster's, which, by some news is planning to close down several Australian wineries (Rothbury is one) all in the name of consolidating profits and streamlining operations... :(

hey bods, Beringer is distributed now by Anthonys, Southcorp is under future trade/masterbrand, they got 80% of the brand distributed before by jardine caldbeck. on record the largest volume imported brand in the phils (australian wines) is Rosemount & lindemans, combined volume is about 2,000 cases to 8,000 cases per month, this is higher during christmas season.

you have much to thank agxo, bods, lipstick, eagleyes and a host of aficionados in this thread, as i have to thank them, as well. 

great post!!! in hind sight, was the experience pleasant for you? if it was, what made it so?  if not, were there expectations not met?  how did the alcohol impact on you since you have allergies?

colorwise, a cab shiraz would be deep red in color bordering violet.  our true aussie wine drinkers, bods and lipstick could confirm this.  for the scent, were there any familiar scents that you could identify like cherries, raspberries, etc. aside from being peppery?  how did it feel in you mouth as you drank it and consumed the wine?

practically, the experience you went through was no different from what most if not all wine drinkers would go through... from the visual to the nose, to the sensation it provided your palate and the follow through.  it's just a matter of being able identify those sensations at every stage in the process and being able to build a structure.

you did a very good review!... now you have to contribute more.  have a good one.

click on this link so you can get a view of the winemaker's notes  http://www.wineontheweb.co.uk/a-z/valuesa-...uesa-z_469.html

oh yeah..need to thank all of the folks here who has been actively contributing. :) with your postings, I was guided on how to appreciate the wine I had...but I need more practice and need to immune my tastebuds so I can fully enjoy the pleasure!

was the experience pleasant? hmm honestly not much! :( it was so bitter for me ..well guess I am new to it. in due time will be able to appreciate it the way you guys do...i just hope that my body will appreciate it too and not react on it. but it was an experience..i was happy that somehow I was able to relate to what you guys have been posting. :) no expectations at all ... but with the experience..it kinda helped me appreciate wine somehow. well..with the sip..i felt bit itchy under my arms and my thighs..but it didnt last long though coz didnt consume much. i was wary too coz I might get sick the following day.

in terms of color..yes it was dark red boarding to violet. berry scent..didnt notice much..noticed the strong scent of wood and peppery...taste it was bit pungent. sensation..oohhh...it felt like fire as it goes down from my tongue to my throat ... probably because of the alcohol which I am not used to having. :) thanks for the website..

backread again....taking notes on HGBC's shiraz experience.

Cool! and what can you say?

hehehe that's excellent...it's everything you would describe a shiraz - oaky, spicy and peppery. Correct color but somehow your comment about traces of liquid flowing in the glass gives me some other images ooopss hehehe sorry...

where'd you get that Greg Norman???

Didn't know it was available here. Been hearing good reviews about it...

thanks Bods! naku..ikaw talaga..you are thinking of something else..hmmmm.. well..it is not Greg Norman .... I had it in a restaurant in Clark. :)

hey welcome to the thread!

Jacob's Creek was one of the wines I truly enjoyed when I was starting out - I remember the time it sold for only about less than P300. I used to buy a case of this at a time from BestWorld direct - their distributor here..Talking of prices I wonder why wine prices continue to go up when worldwide there is a grape glut.  :angry: One thing for sure is the tariff here which keeps on increasing with every change in administration - also the rules at Customs whose change and interpretation is at the mercy of whoever is the Commisioner at the time....

Happy Living too - that's in Vito Cruz Ext. right? Do you live around that area? I also used to go there to buy wines direct from them although wala pa yata nun yung Chez Samantha na yan. Based on your favorable review, I think I'll go there again and check that out.

The Stimson is a bit unusual - that is, for a merlot to taste strong....

anyway welcome to the thread and we look forward to more posts from you as you seem to be some kind of a wino too like us :P

Do join us sometime together with the hubby....

Thanks for the welcome!

I just get wines from BestWorld if I'm buying a lot or when I pass by Tektite, which isn't too often. Kung pa-isa-isa lang, I just get from any liquor store. Since we're in the stage of tasting different wines, di na kami bumibili from the distributors (unless may party or event.)

And yes, the increase in wine prices was caused by the increase in taxes and customs duties and "fees".

As for Happy Living, I haven't gone to their office. When we ordered 2 cases of Chez Samantha for an event, they volunteered to deliver the bottles to our house in QC free of charge (may kasabay kasi na delivery). Speaking of Chez Samantha, I suggest you get the red. The white isn't even good for drinking. And table wine lang talaga siya, ha.

Hanggang dito na muna as I'm planning to read the previous posts so I'll know what wines to buy for next week.

hi! pwede makigulo?

you are most welcome to post here as much as you are welcome to post at the spanish food thread... these 2 threads are seamless as good food is best consumed with good wine and good company. it doesn't surprise me abit that you'll be posting on this thread, since you've posted a couple of spanish food/resto reviews on the other thread... i sincerely appreciate your time.

shiraz is the variety of choice for bods and i except in certain exceptions where the tempranillo is present! i would have to go for the latter. jacob' creek is true value for money. it is reasonably priced considering the medals it has won!

"question for the week" -- who has experienced ordering a bottle of wine and after tasting it; you didn't like it and had it returned?

how did you do it? was your relationship with the resto/bar strained while your were dining? did you order a different bottle?

i never had this experience. the closest i can relate was perhaps sampling 4 different labels from the wine trolly and only picking 1. (but i also picked a label for the wifey from the same trolley and didnt have to soil 4 glasses anymore!)

Edited by masi
hey bods, Beringer is distributed now by Anthonys, Southcorp is under future trade/masterbrand, they got 80% of the brand distributed before by jardine caldbeck. on record the largest volume imported brand in the phils  (australian wines) is Rosemount & lindemans, combined volume is about 2,000 cases to 8,000 cases per month, this is higher during christmas season.

where are the rosemounts' sold? if there is one shiraz i could consider a good 1, it may be the rosemount estate show reserve.

I used to think microbrews were bland stuff....

That Bacardi sure looks like it's on fire! I think that's what masi was talking about..

And surely that Talisker can't be legal :lol:

pare what's the strongest wine in terms of alco content you've ever had? Still, dry wines lang ha, not the dessert wines....

i love microbrews! i can't stand the taste of beer unless it's freshely brewed. we used to go to brewery in glorietta. now, we enjoy freshly brewed san mig beers at fiesta san mig in dusit.

but i can drink a bottle of chimay. it's available in le souffle.

speaking of specialty beers, does anyone here know where we can get aventinus?

as for alcoholic content, the only thing i remember from my forensic medicine classes (20 million years ago) was that it is faster for the stomach to absorb drinks which have 8 - 14% alcohol content. so it is faster to get drunk with wine than with beer (which, the prof said usually has 6-8% alcohol, i don't think light beers were already available in manila at that time) or with hard liquor. hmm. i'd like to think that wine drinkers get to appreciate the alcohol faster.

you are most welcome to post here as much as you are welcome to post at the spanish food thread... these 2 threads are seamless as good food is best consumed with good wine and good company.  it doesn't surprise me abit that you'll be posting on this thread, since you've posted a couple of spanish food/resto reviews on the other thread...  i sincerely appreciate your time.

shiraz is the variety of choice for bods and i except in certain exceptions where the tempranillo is present!  i would have to go for the latter.  jacob' creek is true value for money.  it is reasonably priced considering the medals it has won!

since i can't smoke and i don't have the money to gamble, the only vices left for me are eating and drinking.

as for the time i spend on posting, it's really nothing compared to the info i get from these threads. i've already leeched off the dishes and restos that were mentioned in the spanish food thread and i'm planning to take note of the wines mentioned here as well. :D

Thanks for the welcome!

I just get wines from BestWorld if I'm buying a lot or when I pass by Tektite, which isn't too often.  Kung pa-isa-isa lang, I just get from any liquor store. Since we're in the stage of tasting different wines, di na kami bumibili from the distributors (unless may party or event.)

And yes, the increase in wine prices was caused by the increase in taxes and customs duties and "fees".

As for Happy Living, I haven't gone to their office. When we ordered 2 cases of Chez Samantha for an event, they volunteered to deliver the bottles to our house in QC free of charge (may kasabay kasi na delivery).  Speaking of Chez Samantha, I suggest you get the red. The white isn't even good for drinking. And table wine lang talaga siya, ha.

Hanggang dito na muna as I'm planning to read the previous posts so I'll know what wines to buy for next week.

well good luck with the backread...the wines mentioned by agxo are unfortunately not available here as he gets it straight from the Valley - being a resident of the good ole U S of A.

Well, yes, red is our drink of choice here and I'll soon check out that Chez when I'm in the area. There are several wines mentioned here in the price range of Chez which I think are equally good and which I assume you would also like.

So Best World is still alive - it's been a long time that I've been to their office. My guess is that they have new wines in their catalogue. Jacob's Creek was once one of the most popular wines in the world -the TOP DROP, as their ads said - it's unfortunate that it has gone up in price. Its position has now been taken by YELLOW TAIL which I believe has surprisingly cornered a huge chunk of the American market.

kaya nga eh, hehehe. i'd be in dumaguete on friday, tas be back next week, business na naman. whew.... no play, all work. i try to call masi today then send a bottle para you guys can check this bourdeux blend.

sayang pare we are planning something for this Friday and chances look good that it will push through.

Next week sigurado meron na naman :P hope you can be there...

Thanks pare - I sure hope we can get our hands on that bordeaux blend you have hehehe...

hey bods, Beringer is distributed now by Anthonys, Southcorp is under future trade/masterbrand, they got 80% of the brand distributed before by jardine caldbeck. on record the largest volume imported brand in the phils  (australian wines) is Rosemount & lindemans, combined volume is about 2,000 cases to 8,000 cases per month, this is higher during christmas season.

How come I don't see too many Rosemounts and Lindemans here - I only see them in Landmark...

Swerte din ng Anthony's - nadagdagan na naman yung mga prestigious labels nila.

I wonder bakit nawala sa Happy Living ang Beringer and is Wolf Blass also under Anthony's now - since magkasama na ang Beringer and Blass?

Pards baka may opening dyan sa company nyo ipasok mo na lang ako - kahit taga-tikim lang ng alak :lol: