told you so... and which reminds me ... i must get a couple of those myself ...

I got it at Landmark....surprised to see it there :P

I'm now drinking an Argentine malbec - really quite thin.......the only reason I bought it was that I was looking for a high-altitude wine - it was from the Mendoza region in Argentina...I guess that's it for experimentation :P

It was even more expensive than the Gran Trillo or a Butterfly Ridge but heck I'd choose those two anytime...

I got it at Landmark....surprised to see it there :P

I'm now drinking an Argentine malbec - really quite thin.......the only reason I bought it was that I was looking for a high-altitude wine - it was from the Mendoza region in Argentina...I guess that's it for experimentation :P

It was even more expensive than the Gran Trillo or a Butterfly Ridge but heck I'd choose those two anytime...

i am sure high altitude wine would have effect on the fruitness of the grape and the fermentation process. i havent tried high altitude wines... although i'v tried the "mit pradikat" german wine which i think are the equivalent of late harvest.

so much to try....

miss manners et al... have not replied to the notion of another eb... i'm just waiting....

Ola Winos! :D I was at Nuvo the other night with 20+ colleagues from work celebrating some industry awards we won and as I walked through the door, I pictured Bods and Masi in my mind sitting at a secluded corner enjoying their wine. :)

Anyway I have no effing idea what we drank that night just that there was champagne, white and red wine overflowing. After the first 30mins of drinking, I think my tastebuds just got numb and I couldn't taste a thing anymore except feel the alcohol go to my head. :blink: Such a waste of good wine. :lol:

I'm joinster for the next Wine and Cheese socials, hopefully that happens soon? :D

Cheers big ears! :thumbsupsmiley:

i am sure high altitude wine would have effect on the fruitness of the grape and the fermentation process.  i havent tried high altitude wines... although i'v tried the "mit pradikat" german wine which i think are the equivalent of late harvest.

so much to try.... 

miss manners et al... have not replied to the notion of another eb... i'm just waiting....

I'm sure there's some high-alti wines that are good - must do some research before buying the next one...after all, the one I had was a real cheapo :P

Ola Winos! :D  I was at Nuvo the other night with 20+ colleagues from work celebrating some industry awards we won and as I walked through the door, I pictured Bods and Masi in my mind sitting at a secluded corner enjoying their wine. :)

Anyway I have no effing idea what we drank that night just that there was champagne, white and red wine overflowing.  After the first 30mins of drinking, I think my tastebuds just got numb and I couldn't taste a thing anymore except feel the alcohol go to my head.  :blink:  Such a waste of good wine. :lol:

I'm joinster for the next Wine and Cheese socials, hopefully that happens soon? :D

Cheers big ears!  :thumbsupsmiley:

yes, hopefully soon..........

Hi bods. Can I ask a stupid question? hahaha Anyway, a friend of mine said na lahat ng wine na may bahay sa label masarap. Totoo ba yon? :) Kasi I gave a friend of mine a bottle of Louis Chatel based on that lang ha. May bahay kasi sa label. I'm not much of a wine drinker. Is that a good wine?

Ola Winos! :D  I was at Nuvo the other night with 20+ colleagues from work celebrating some industry awards we won and as I walked through the door, I pictured Bods and Masi in my mind sitting at a secluded corner enjoying their wine. :)

Anyway I have no effing idea what we drank that night just that there was champagne, white and red wine overflowing.  After the first 30mins of drinking, I think my tastebuds just got numb and I couldn't taste a thing anymore except feel the alcohol go to my head.  :blink:  Such a waste of good wine. :lol:

Cheers big ears!  :thumbsupsmiley:

You discovered wine truth number 1 - after a bit of drinking, it's hard to tell one wine from another except to distinguish red from white, bubbly from not. Then there are the wines that defy classification anyway - like that bubbly shiraz I had some time ago. Wierd......

Anyway - that leads to wine truth number 2. When you plan on drinking more than one bottle of wine, drink in descending order of expected quality. That is, start with the best, working downwards. Why? As you saw, after a while, you can't really appreciate the subtler qualities of the wine.

Exception to wine truth number 2 is my annual bad wine contest - in which we sample wines brought in and rank them for worst of show and worst of breed. Much of that wine goes to fertilize this shrub I have in the back yard that is no longer a shrub but now a full-sized tree! :P But getting back on-topic - a good wine after all that bad wine is such a treat, it's unbelievable!

I'm sure there's some high-alti wines that are good - must do some research before buying the next one...after all, the one I had was a real cheapo :P

What would you consider high-altitude? I visited some wineries in the hills above the Mendocino coast and found some outstanding wines from grapes grown at anywhere up to 2,000 ft above sea level. Pinot seemed to be the favored varietal in that area.

Hi bods. Can I ask a stupid question?  hahaha  Anyway, a friend of mine said na lahat ng wine na may bahay sa label masarap.  Totoo ba yon? :)  Kasi I gave a friend of mine a bottle of Louis Chatel based on that lang ha.  May bahay kasi sa label.  I'm not much of a wine drinker.  Is that a good wine?

Hey that's a good one! I'd never heard THAT before. Does that explain why Bonny Doon's Big House Red is so good for a relatively inexpensive wine? :lol:

Seriously - no. Good vs. not good has nothing to do with houses on labels, just with good grapes and good winemaking. And let's not forget your own personal tastebuds and what they like, or not. I like some wines that my friend and fellow wino doesn't like, and he is enamored with the cheap wines that I don't even consider buying. But hey! taste is personal and subjective!

Hi bods. Can I ask a stupid question?  hahaha  Anyway, a friend of mine said na lahat ng wine na may bahay sa label masarap.  Totoo ba yon? :)  Kasi I gave a friend of mine a bottle of Louis Chatel based on that lang ha.  May bahay kasi sa label.  I'm not much of a wine drinker.  Is that a good wine?

hi! Nice to see you here :)

May bahay sa label? What could that be? Are you referring to a Chateau?

Well that's the first time I heard that..........

As I've mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, faced with an array of wines which I don't know about, I ahmm, excuse the expression, finger the bottom :P In a wine bottle there is an indentation in the bottom and this is called a punt. So I read that the deeper the punt the better the wine and 90% of the time this is correct :P

Price could be a good indicator of quality but at a certain price level, quality is hardly distinguishable except perhaps for those true connoiseurs, like my friend agxo :P A bottle in the price range of P600 to P800 is I think good enough...

hope I helped....I must admit kulang pa din ang knowledge ko hehehe

What would you consider high-altitude? I visited some wineries in the hills above the Mendocino coast and found some outstanding wines from grapes grown at anywhere up to 2,000 ft above sea level. Pinot seemed to be the favored varietal in that area.

yeah pare - high-altitude na yan...anywhere from 2000 to 3000ft. elevation...

what are those wineries in the hills pare - baka we have them here...

now pinot...........SIDEWAYS na naman uli :P

how's the pinot brouhaha there?

Hey that's a good one! I'd never heard THAT before. Does that explain why Bonny Doon's Big House Red is so good for a relatively inexpensive wine?  :lol:

Seriously - no. Good vs. not good has nothing to do with houses on labels, just with good grapes and good winemaking. And let's not forget your own personal tastebuds and what they like, or not. I like some wines that my friend and fellow wino doesn't like, and he is enamored with the cheap wines that I don't even consider buying. But hey! taste is personal and subjective!

Hehe sabi niya si bongbong marcos nagsabi nun sa kanya. hahaha ako naman gulliver! :D thanks. i rarely drink wine. i'm a beer drinker kase. pero i'm thinking of switching ang lake na kasi ng chan ko e. :P

hi! Nice to see you here :)

May bahay sa label? What could that be? Are you referring to a Chateau?

Well that's the first time I heard that..........

As I've mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, faced with an array of wines which I don't know about, I ahmm, excuse the expression, finger the bottom :P In a wine bottle there is an indentation in the bottom and this is called a punt. So I read that the deeper the punt the better the wine and 90% of the time this is correct :P

Price could be a good indicator of quality but at a certain price level, quality is hardly distinguishable except perhaps for those true connoiseurs, like my friend agxo :P A bottle in the price range of P600 to P800 is I think good enough...

hope I helped....I must admit kulang pa din ang knowledge ko hehehe

hey bods! i'm a regular lurker here...haha trying to imbibe some "culture." nyaaaaah! i do enjoy the discussion, though i often can not relate. :D sige next time i need to get a bottle yung ilalim naman pupunteryahin ko. ano naman kaya iisipin sakin nung wineshop clerk...last time bahay ang hinahanap...ngayon naman ilalim ng bote....wahahaha :boo: :boo:

happy weekend! :D

Edited by batibut

hmmmm pretty interesting question.. bahay sa label, i would presume chateau or estate wines...

para no second guessing, i would suggest you look for the following phrase "appellation controlle" or "denomination controli" or "qualitatswein". these would mean that the process adhere to industry quality standards be it french, italian or german. bad wines cannot be labelled such.

of course there are other descriptives such as a grand cru...

for a daily drinking wine, a vin de pays (pronounced as van de pay) would be good..

i was in THE valley yesterday visiting my daughter who lives in st helena, and to have my eyes checked. i was introduced to karen williams, co-owner of a wine shop specializing in local wines that rarely end up on shelves across the country. since i was set on picking up a few bottles, karen gave me a tour of their cellar. i ended up picking up the following (notice a few of imports :)):

carter, merlot, truchard vineyard 2002

saxon brown, syrah, parmelee hills 2003

atrea, old soul red, 2002

coto de hayas, fagus, garnacha, angels share special cuvee 2002

dinnhoff, reisling, kabinet northelmer dellchen 2002

schloss gobelsburg, gruner vetliner, steinsetz 2003

macmanis, petite sirah 2004

pax, cuvee moriah, sonoma co 2003

melka, cj, cabernet sauvignon 2002

twenty rows, cabernet sauvignon 2003

ottimino, zin 02 van weidlich

pavi, pinot grigio 2004

Edited by eagleyes
Hehe sabi niya si bongbong marcos nagsabi nun sa kanya. hahaha ako naman gulliver! :D  thanks.  i rarely drink wine. i'm a beer drinker kase.  pero i'm thinking of switching ang lake na kasi ng chan ko e.  :P

hey bods! i'm a regular lurker here...haha trying to imbibe some "culture."  nyaaaaah! i do enjoy the discussion, though i often can not relate. :D  sige next time i need to get a bottle yung ilalim naman pupunteryahin ko.  ano naman kaya iisipin sakin nung wineshop clerk...last time bahay ang hinahanap...ngayon naman ilalim ng bote....wahahaha  :boo:  :boo:

happy weekend! :D

tignan mo 'to - lurker ka pala dito ngayon ka lang nag-participate and I must say that with your first post here - NABULABOG kami :P

It really got us thinking what that "bahay sa label" is :boo:

Better check on what masi said - you can't go wrong with wines with such appellations although these wines are a bit pricey...

What "culture" are you talking about hehehe....We're just regular guys who happen to love drinking wine and it just so happened that wine carries a certain cultural baggage - so we have to pick up on a few things about it so we could bring the experience of drinking wine to a a much more enjoyable level.

It was my intention to disabuse this "snobbish" appeal of wine when I started this thread, but I don't know if I succeeded :P

Yung pagkapa sa ilalim ng bote simplehan lang ha, or else the wine clerk will think of you as some kind of a nut hehehe....Last night at a wine store, the punt of the Knappstein measured at least 3 inches inside :boo: and this is one of the few excellent Aussie wines you'll ever have. But it carries a hefty price tag of P900 whereas the cheap wines have bottoms which are almost level - or almost no punt at all....Syempre sinimplehan ko lang yung pagkapa kasi tinitingnan na ko nung clerk...

I was also an exclusive beer drinker before - still does now at gatherings - but beer carries too much calories and one becomes reputedly prone to diabetes if you drink it to excess....

You have to attend any EB's we'll have para makita namin kung malaki na nga ang tyan mo :boo:

Have a nice week!

hmmmm pretty interesting question.. bahay sa label, i would presume chateau or  estate wines...

para no second guessing, i would suggest you look for the following phrase "appellation controlle" or "denomination controli" or "qualitatswein".  these would mean that the process adhere to industry quality standards be it french, italian or german.  bad wines cannot be labelled such.

of course there are other descriptives such as a grand cru...

for a daily drinking wine, a vin de pays (pronounced as van de pay) would be good..

I will remember that. Thanks for the tips. Next time may wine tasting sa provencal may macocontribute na ko! hehehe

tignan mo 'to - lurker ka pala dito ngayon ka lang nag-participate and I must say that with your first post here - NABULABOG kami :P

It really got us thinking what that "bahay sa label" is :boo:

Better check on what masi said - you can't go wrong with wines with such appellations although these wines are a bit pricey...

What "culture" are you talking about hehehe....We're just regular guys who happen to love drinking wine and it just so happened that wine carries a certain cultural baggage - so we have to pick up on a few things about it so we could bring the experience of drinking wine to a a much more enjoyable level.

It was my intention to disabuse this "snobbish" appeal of wine when I started this thread, but I don't know if I succeeded  :P

Yung pagkapa sa ilalim ng bote simplehan lang ha, or else the wine clerk will think of you as some kind of a nut hehehe....Last night at a wine store, the punt of the Knappstein measured at least 3 inches inside :boo:  and this is one of the few excellent Aussie wines you'll ever have. But it carries a hefty price tag of P900 whereas the cheap wines have bottoms which are almost level - or almost no punt at all....Syempre sinimplehan ko lang yung pagkapa kasi tinitingnan na ko nung clerk...

I was also an exclusive beer drinker before - still does now at gatherings - but beer carries too much calories and one becomes reputedly prone to diabetes if you drink it to excess....

You have to attend any EB's we'll have para makita namin kung malaki na nga ang tyan mo :boo:

Have a nice week!

Sige lilinawin ko kay Wyn kung ano ba yung bahay. The way I understood it, kahit anong bahay so it can be a picture of a cottage or a mansion or whatever. Basta may bahay ok daw. Thanks again. :D

hello fellow wine-drinkers! when's the next wine eb? :)

i've been backreading and enjoying the trade of information. it's so nice to hear from people who know what goes behind those things they enjoy. i am, admittedly, rather clueless... and follow the "if it tastes good, then it must be good" mantra. so to know the itty bitty details is always very interesting.

keep em' coming. ;)

most people don't agree on the reason for punts on wine bottles. the most common explanations being:

1. has historical glass blowing technique significance

2. makes the bottle less likely to topple over

3. serves to strengthen the bottle, particularly in case of sparkling wine

4. they can make bigger bottles for same amount of wine

5. for sediments

6. help to sell wine to people who believe that a deep punt is an indicator of a high quality wine :D

check out alt.food.wine punt faq: http://pweb.netcom.com/~lachenm/puntFAQ.html

para no second guessing, i would suggest you look for the following phrase "appellation controlle" or "denomination controli" or "qualitatswein".  these would mean that the process adhere to industry quality standards be it french, italian or german.  bad wines cannot be labelled such.

Not really true. What "appellation controlle" or "denomination controli" really means is that the wines carry a regional appellation. A Bodeaux is from the Bordeaux region of France ONLY. A Champagne is ONLY from the Champagne region of France - from Spain it's a "cava", from other places it's a "sparkling wine". A Chianti is from - you guess it!, the Chianti region in Italy.

That's different from the way American, Australian, New Zealand and other New World wines are marked, which is by varietal - cabernet sauvignon, suavignon blanc, chardonnay, etc. A Bordeaux is typically a cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, or merlot, or a blend of some or all. A Burgundy is pinot noir (red) or chardonnay (white). Chablis is chardonnay. Vouvray is chenin blanc. The Rhone varietals are grenache, syrah, mourvedre. Loire Valley wines are either chenin blanc or semillon.

Interestingly enough, the US now has what's called an AVA - American Viticulture Appellation - similar tothe French system. This was driven by some Napa Valley wineries that were upset with Central Valley (Fresno. Modesto, Lodi) wineries putting "Napa Valley" somewhere on the label to try to fool the unwary consumer into thinking these were Napa Valley wines. This from a local industry that has a couple of wineries producing "California champagne" in defiance of the French appellation laws.

As for "houses" on lables - lots of French wines carry a drawing of a house, chateau or castle on the label. Many are made by "chateaux" or estates and carry the name of the state. Hence the drawing of the house (or manor, or chateaux, or castle) that stands on the estate. Has nothing to do with quality.

Bonny Doon (Santa Cruz Mountains, just south of where I live) also has a wine with a house on the label - Big House Red. It's a blend, varies from year to year, but is blended for consistency and quality. Relatively inexpensive, drink now (doesn't get appreciably better with age). The "Big House" is a prison! :cool:

i was in THE valley yesterday visiting my daughter who lives in st helena, and to have my eyes checked. i was introduced to karen williams, co-owner of a wine shop specializing in local wines that rarely end up on shelves across the country. since i was set on picking up a few bottles, karen gave me a tour of their cellar. i ended up picking up the following (notice a few of imports :)):

carter, merlot, truchard vineyard 2002

saxon brown, syrah, parmelee hills 2003

atrea, old soul red, 2002

coto de hayas, fagus, garnacha, angels share special cuvee 2002

dinnhoff, reisling, kabinet northelmer dellchen 2002

schloss gobelsburg, gruner vetliner, steinsetz 2003

macmanis, petite sirah 2004

pax, cuvee moriah, sonoma co 2003

melka, cj, cabernet sauvignon 2002

twenty rows, cabernet sauvignon 2003

ottimino, zin 02 van weidlich

pavi, pinot grigio 2004

Interesting wine list! The local wines are truly local - they don't get much distribution outside of the local area, not even down south!

How long will you be here, eagleyes? If you'll be here another week or two, let me know and I can try to set you up with Noah Taylor in Yountville. His '97 zins were among the best I've ever had. Of course, he's sold out (in part due to me and my friends who bought up quite a few cases) of that one. The newer vintages, while IMO lesser vintages, are still very powerful wines. And his Los Chamizal cabs are wonderful wines.

Lots of other small (and large) wineries you can hit while you're around. I've got my list of faves - I'd be happy to share that with you if you want. Both Napa and Sonoma, and some Livermore (down in the East Bay, near Fremont, which is where I live) wineries as well.

yeah pare - high-altitude na yan...anywhere from 2000 to 3000ft. elevation...

what are those wineries in the hills pare - baka we have them here...

now pinot...........SIDEWAYS na naman uli :P

how's the pinot brouhaha there?

The pinot brouhaha continues. I've always liked pinots better than cabs but I strayed in years past. Now my tastes are broader and more universal - to include just about anything red! :D

The one I most remember from the Mendocino trip was Annapolis winery. Haven't been there in a while, so I'll have to go see if I can find my trip notes for the other wineries. Pacific Star was another, I think.

The wineries in the Santa Ynez Valley (where Sideways was filmed) are also higher up - about 1000 ft, IIRC. Foxen (where Thomas Hayden Church meets Sandra Oh) is good. Lots of people like Fess Parker (filming site of the bad wine, "dump the spit bucket" scene), but I don't. Firestone is good - they have an excellent cab. Again, lots of little ones.

Another relatively high altitude location is Paso Robles. Just now up and coming. Great syrahs, and at least one good pinot. Gotta get back there and buy some wines this time. Also hard to find outside the local area - up north here we see very few of the Paso Robles wines.

How long will you be here, eagleyes? If you'll be here another week or two, let me know ...

i'm local. i live on the next valley due east from napa. :)

i work in san ramon, technical director for THAT telecomm buying AT&T

let me know when you might want to go on a road trip to visit some wineries. i'll send you my number by PM.

speaking of sideways, there is a scene there that is waaaay out place. it's where they're walking on the road on the way to (or back from) the restaurant. that scene was taken on Hwy 12 in Rio Vista, close to the sacramento river.

i'm local. i live on the next valley due east from napa.  :)

i work in san ramon, technical director for THAT telecomm buying AT&T

let me know when you might want to go on a road trip to visit some wineries. i'll send you my number by PM.

speaking of sideways, there is a scene there that is waaaay out place. it's where they're walking on the road on the way to (or back from) the restaurant. that scene was taken on Hwy 12 in Rio Vista, close to the sacramento river.

Cool! Another local wino!

I'll give you a call a bit later this week......or next......the crises never end.....

What group are you in? I have a SoCal friend who works at the same company (marketing type) who visits your facility quite often. Actually, I think it's just an excuse to go play golf out at Wente. :P

Not really true. What "appellation controlle" or "denomination controli" really means is that the wines carry a regional appellation. A Bodeaux is from the Bordeaux region of France ONLY. A Champagne is ONLY from the Champagne region of France - from Spain it's a "cava", from other places it's a "sparkling wine". A Chianti is from - you guess it!, the Chianti region in Italy.

That's different from the way American, Australian, New Zealand and other New World wines are marked, which is by varietal - cabernet sauvignon, suavignon blanc, chardonnay, etc. A Bordeaux is typically a cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, or merlot, or a blend of some or all. A Burgundy is pinot noir (red) or chardonnay (white). Chablis is chardonnay. Vouvray is chenin blanc. The Rhone varietals are grenache, syrah, mourvedre. Loire Valley wines are either chenin blanc or semillon.

Interestingly enough, the US now has what's called an AVA - American Viticulture Appellation - similar tothe French system. This was driven by some Napa Valley wineries that were upset with Central Valley (Fresno. Modesto, Lodi) wineries putting "Napa Valley" somewhere on the label to try to fool the unwary consumer into thinking these were Napa Valley wines. This from a local industry that has a couple of wineries producing "California champagne" in defiance of the French appellation laws.

As for "houses" on lables - lots of French wines carry a drawing of a house, chateau or castle on the label. Many are made by "chateaux" or estates and carry the name of the state. Hence the drawing of the house (or manor, or chateaux, or castle) that stands on the estate. Has nothing to do with quality.

Bonny Doon (Santa Cruz Mountains, just south of where I live) also has a wine with a house on the label - Big House Red. It's a blend, varies from year to year, but is blended for consistency and quality. Relatively inexpensive, drink now (doesn't get appreciably better with age). The "Big House" is a prison!  :cool:

thanks agxo...parang may nabasa akong ganyan while studying IPL ah...hehehe something to do with the TRIPPS agreement ba or WTO? grabe last week ko lang inaral yon nakalimutan ko na. It applies to wine din pala. I'll look for that big house red...unang basa ko parang bad-ass red e..:P