Had a Neibaum Coppola Blancaneaux 2001 last night. Blancaneaux is a white Bordeaux-style blend of chardonnay, viognier, roussanne and marsanne, all grapes estate-grown. Great mouth-feel, almost red-like in body. An intriguing blend of flavors - apple and pear, ginger, peach and other stone fruit, all coming through at one phase or another. Nice acitity to hold it together, a bit of butter for mouth-feel, and some nice mineral, earth tones. A great wine with Mediterreanean flavors but should also go well with Asian flavors of spice and peppers. Definitely a keeper, and one of the rare whites I wholeheartedly recommend. Perhaps not a wine for beginners, perhaps since it is absolutely bone-dry, despite the fruitiness the viognier imparts.

Wine label information:

1. Name of winery

2. Appellation - Name of the winegrowing region. 

3. Name of the vineyard(s)

4. Varietal name - If there is no varietal name, the wine is probably a blend (cuvee).  To be able to call a wine by the varietal name, it must contain at least 75% of wine from that grape. Traditional wines from France, Italy, and Spain, use the place of origin instead of the varietal.

5. Vintage - The year the grapes were grown. If there is no vintage, it is probably a mixture of wines made in different years. 

Some labels have other technical data such as percentage of varietals if it is a blend, residual sugar, percentage alcohol, etc. 

--- Other Information Found on Wine Labels ---

"Cellared and Bottled By" means that the winery bought the wine and bottled it.

"Made and Bottled By" means that the winery made at least 10% of the wine.

"Produced and Bottled By" means that the winery made at least 75% of the wine.

"Estate Bottled" means that the winery not only made 100% of the wine but also grew the grapes on land owned by the winery.

"Vintner's Reserve," "Estate Reserve" or "Select" etc. - Terms like these have no set (or legal) meaning, although within certain wineries these terms may have specific meaning.  Labeling laws and requirements will vary between countries.

pare thanks for sharing this info with the readers....

sometimes they put in the percentage of sulfites - why is this important and/or is this required by law?

correct me if I'm wrong - is the sulfite the cause of allergies?

pare thanks for sharing this info with the readers....

sometimes they put in the percentage of sulfites - why is this important and/or is this required by law?

correct me if I'm wrong - is the sulfite the cause of allergies?

Around here, all that's required by law is the notation that wine contains sulfites. It's an allergy thing - some people are very allergic to sulfites. Sulfites in reds are what are often blamed for hangovers, and why some people say they only drink whites.

eh how will you sing, hindi ka naman punta sa mga WEB? :rolleyes:

Awards night? hmmmm....but we are so few here, there may not be that many choices - baka magkaroon pa ng scam!!!

sige we'll keep you posted as your tito masi will arrange some sort of a party hehehe

any party with booze, i'll be there. see getting together is not one tough proposition. basta between bods and i, it's a matter of a single sms..."i'm thirsty, let's drink" and the rest they say is theology... :hypocritesmiley: yan umagang pa lang di pa ko nakakakita ng bote :wacko: . siguro inis ako dito sa rally sa ayala. :grr:

hey, bods, it's wednesday and all this political noise and the work we're doing, aren't you thirsty yet?

Edited by masi
Around here, all that's required by law is the notation that wine contains sulfites. It's an allergy thing - some people are very allergic to sulfites. Sulfites in reds are what are often blamed for hangovers, and why some people say they only drink whites.

hmmm... now that explains it! how i got my hangover after last week's eb. are sulfites present in whiskey, rum, bandy, etc? or should i consider drinking whites (the wine :lol: ) next time....

As I suspected, pare...thanks for the info!

I think it's required by law in Australia as almost, if not all yata, Aussie wines I see have the percent sulfites indicated on the label...

ok next question - I forgot why they put sulfites in wines in the first place :P

some form of preservative?

I prefer Beavis and Butthead - I'm really crass and crude and ill-mannered.

masi is my polar opposite because he has the time and money :lol:

now that you mention it, I miss those two idiots - teka mahalungkat nga yung video nila.

watching their inanities is akin to drinking bad wine in an already inebriated state :P

honk your horn, man!!! :D the only time and money i have is the pittance i take out from this daily grind called work. :wacko: i'm not a fan of the Beavis and Butthead series, i gross-out!

now, benny hill and mr. bean, that's my idea of a class act. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by masi
any party with booze, i'll be there.  see getting together is not one tough proposition.  basta between bods and i, it's a matter of a single sms..."i'm thirsty, let's drink"  and the rest they say is theology...  :hypocritesmiley: yan umagang pa lang di pa ko nakakakita ng bote :wacko: .  siguro inis ako dito sa rally sa ayala. :grr:

hey, bods, it's wednesday and all this political noise and the work we're doing, aren't you thirsty yet?

hahaha mukhang mapupurnada plano ah!

I can't seem to find a free schedule up to Saturday :grr:

let's play it by ear, pare!

pwede naman biglaan right?

And speaking of theology, everybody should keep in mind that the first miracle of Christ was turning water into WINE!

...and it's a miracle that this thread has exceeded all our expectations :P

hmmm... now that explains it!  how i got my hangover after last week's eb.  are sulfites present in whiskey, rum, bandy, etc?  or should i consider drinking whites (the wine :lol: ) next time....

And that's what inspired me to post my notes about the white I just had last night. That Blancaneaux is one nice white wine.

As I suspected, pare...thanks for the info!

I think it's required by law in Australia as almost, if not all yata, Aussie wines I see have the percent sulfites indicated on the label...

ok next question - I forgot why they put sulfites in wines in the first place :P

some form of preservative?

Sulfites are a preservative. Some of it is naturally occuring, but many (if not most) winemakers add some. I found a reference article about sulfites - http://waterhouse.ucdavis.edu/winecomp/so2.htm

According to the author, there is no connection between sulfites and headaches (so it WASN'T the sulfites in the reds you drank, Masi).

hahaha mukhang mapupurnada plano ah!

I can't seem to find a free schedule up to Saturday :grr:

let's play it by ear, pare!

pwede naman biglaan right?

And speaking of theology, everybody should keep in mind that the first miracle of Christ was turning water into WINE!

...and it's a miracle that this thread has exceeded all our expectations :P

this was a good retort :lol: ... how you manage to tie-in your replies with wine is beyond me!!!. have a good day, pare..

And that's what inspired me to post my notes about the white I just had last night. That Blancaneaux is one nice white wine.

Sulfites are a preservative. Some of it is naturally occuring, but many (if not most) winemakers add some. I found a reference article about sulfites  - http://waterhouse.ucdavis.edu/winecomp/so2.htm

According to the author, there is no connection between sulfites and headaches (so it WASN'T the sulfites in the reds you drank, Masi).

noted... it's either what i drank wasn't much :D or couldn't be that much! :boo: ... enjoy your evening, agxo!!! what are you drinking? am drinking the dark stuff (coffee) this morning....

this was a good retort :lol: ...  how you manage to tie-in your replies with wine is beyond me!!!. have a good day, pare..

hehe para hindi tayo OT di ba? wala pa naman dito yung favorite nating MOD...

and besides, you should remember na pareho tayong laking kumbento so we should not forget theological matters :hypocritesmiley:

have a good day, too!

Good morning to Masi, Bods1000, Agxo :-)

Just lurking here. Can't contribute but learning much from your exhange.

Thanks Masi for the information re your monicker. I am not a profiler, I am just naturally curious. So, now can you tell me my you chase an fountain pen for you avatar, and a Mont Blanc at that?

Can you please connect it with your appreciation / preference to any wine, lest i be accused of being off topic :-)

Btw, i looked at the other forums, and I see you're into watches. Well, maybe there, I can go head to head. :-)

Have a gud day.

honk your horn, man!!!  :D the only time and  money i have is the pittance  i take out from this daily grind called work. :wacko:  i'm not a fan of the Beavis and Butthead series, i gross-out!

now, benny hill and mr. bean, that's my idea of a class act. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

but I like those kids, and their antics...

perhaps they represent my dark side :rolleyes:

benny hill and mr. bean are also favorites, but as with wine you can't drink the good stuff all the time. Kailangan paminsan-minsan hahaluan mo din ng cheapos :P >

Now that's a song....

Paminsan-minsan,

Naaalala, pa rin kita............

Good morning to Masi, Bods1000, Agxo :-)

Just lurking here.  Can't contribute but learning much from your exhange.

Thanks Masi for the information re your monicker.  I am not a profiler, I am just naturally curious.  So, now can you tell me my you chase an fountain pen for you avatar, and a Mont Blanc at that?

Can you please connect it with your appreciation / preference to any wine, lest i be accused of being off topic :-)

Btw, i looked at the other forums, and I see you're into watches.  Well, maybe there, I can go head to head.  :-)

Have a gud day.

Hi LNPM,

Great to know that you have been following this thread! you haven't told us though, the wines you prefer? please post your personal experience on wines. we would like to hear from you. no right or wrong post... just a good or not so good experience on wines.

As to the pens and watches, rather than be declared OT, please go the the Chapter on Lifestyle. I post my views on the pens and watch thread. I opened a thread on pens where agxo, cutie and a few others have replied to.

We'll be glad to hear from you!!! Have a good 1, too.

hehe para hindi tayo OT di ba? wala pa naman dito yung favorite nating MOD...

and besides, you should remember na pareho tayong laking kumbento so we should not forget theological matters :hypocritesmiley:

have a good day, too!

didn't it ever occur to you that our fancy for wines may have been triggerred by the mompo? :lol:

Yup, all that IS on the label, and if someone wanted to counterfeit something badly enough, and if it were lucrative enough, why then even that chip could be faked!

But, it would make the counterfeiting MORE difficult - kinda like having a burglar alarm. It does NOt stop crime, but it does encourage the criminal to go ply his trade elsewhere.

AND - more important, it could expand on what's on the label, and give you much more detail, such as date of harvest, brix at harvest, any notes on fermentation or aging, wine tasting notes, some pictures of the winery, vineyards and winemaker, and on and on.

All the technology required to make this exists, down to making the silicon chip flexible - all you have to do is shave the silicon down a bit and voila! - flexible chips! These chips are already embedded in may applications, from SIM cards to the credit cards to the Octopus Cards used on Hongkong's public transportation system.

pare so nothing is safe!

but the chip may do contain more information than can be printed on a label so it could serve that purpose

Hey! That sounds just like me!!! I'm as far from the dreaded "metrosexual" as you can get. Maong every day, even to work. I don't bother to make sure my shirts are pressed. I'm not the most refined individual around. Nothing fancy or fashionable for me!

Now Paris and Nicole - este, Masi and Bods, pala! - that's another matter altogether. I have visions of them in the latest silk shirts and soft Italian loafers, racy shades on even at night, puffing away on those fragrant cigars and sipping their wine from nothing but the finest Reidels, pinkies in the air as they lift their goblets daintily to their lips.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

pare that image of yours is way, way, way off the mark!

i can drink wine from a simple water glass, itinagay pa nga namin dati yung sauvignon blanc :P

the only silk shirts and Italian loafers I know are those I see in glossy magazines :P

...the only pinkie I lift on the air cannot be mentioned in polite company :evil:

nope.. not even in your imagination, agxo... no loafers, no silk shirts, no racy shades, not even reidels  just 2 good, experienced guys discovering the wines that are available this side of the world.  as for the cigars, local brands... though we might venture into some cubans and dominicans, everytime time the moon turns blue... :lol:

that was a good one.... :D

you mean we might venture out for some Latina beauties?

I'm all for it, pare! :P Venezuelans are always beauty pageant materials hehehe....

how come there are no good Mexican wines? :wacko:

you mean we might venture out for some Latina beauties?

I'm all for it, pare! :P Venezuelans are always beauty pageant materials hehehe....

how come there are no good Mexican wines? :wacko:

hmmmm... are there any here? a few years back, there were some russian beauties... err vodka!!!! :P

Edited by masi
Ay...I can attest to that! kaya lang ikaw..jologs with taste! naks!

what do you mean di ako punta sa mga WEB? eh kaya nga kung mag anniv party..sama ako! :P dala pa Tito Masi ng sparkling wine for me. Ok lang few...we will make the most out of it..hehehee....as if I am good in events.. :P will do best ;) hehehehehe kaso you are right..attendance will be low..but we will see..we will play it by ear..but if the group plans to..will help in the planning and coordination!

sige we will appreciate your help - we are good drinkers but lousy planners :P