Back To The 70's

• 3 weeks later...

there is another typhoon in the early 1970s that hit Manila...it was likened to the bible quote 'it rain 40 days and 40 nights'....I remember it rained for several days non-stop, can't remember the name of that typhoon maybe it was Yoling also...

I had a tshirt like this one, it was written 'Thrilla in Manila Oct. 1, 1975' ...the fight had to be scheduled in the morning of Sunday Oct. 1, 1975 Araneta Coliseum, Philippines to accomodate the U.S. audience saturday night Sept. 30, 1975

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss160/dcrjmed2012/6360_108156842766_101164622766_2084.jpg

there is another typhoon in the early 1970s that hit Manila...it was likened to the bible quote 'it rain 40 days and 40 nights'....I remember it rained for several days non-stop, can't remember the name of that typhoon maybe it was Yoling also...

I had a tshirt like this one, it was written 'Thrilla in Manila Oct. 1, 1975' ...the fight had to be scheduled in the morning of Sunday Oct. 1, 1975 Araneta Coliseum, Philippines to accomodate the U.S. audience saturday night Sept. 30, 1975

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss160/dcrjmed2012/6360_108156842766_101164622766_2084.jpg

It was Gloring.

I saw the documentary of that great fight. Ali was so lucky that night. Nauna lang sumuko ang campo ni Frazier. :(

MARTIAL LAW: dinadampot ng METROCOM ang lahat ng naka-long hair na ulo (ulo ang tawag sa mga hiping kulelat), ginugupitan; may curfew, kapag nahuli ka, pakakantahin ka ng Lupang Hinirang (okay lang kabisado pa namin noon ang Pambansang Awit) at pagkatapos ay pagbubunotin ka ng damo sa Fort Bonifacio.

GLoring.........it rained almost a month and it stopped when it was rumored that the former first lady Imelda sinoli yung pinakuha niyang Sto.Nino statue. Dont remember kung saan kinuha at saan nilagay. My mom went to Pampanga nuong panahon na yun, nagbangka sila sa ngayong "long viaduct" between bulacan and pampanga. Katakot na nun kasi sa history hindi kami inaabot ng baha sa upper Dapitan (Musta street to be exact). Before the rains stopped, kitang kita na namin na papalapit na ang baha sa kanto namin. The no. 1 song nuon month ng September ay yung kay Michael Jackson "Got to Be There" :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just though I'd share with you guys some of my posts in the thread "Vintage Words and Phrases" as you might find them interesting as well. Growing up in the 70s, many of us are familiar with these. Maybe, some of you might even have some thoughts to share too.

Hilacha=contours of the face but used differently in Filipino. i.e. "Di ko gusto ang hilacha ng mukha nyan! Malamang eh walang magandang gagawin yan!"

Echa-Pwera=taken out of the picture. i.e. "Yung komisyun natin ha baka ma=echa-pwera pa ko dyan!"

paki correct na lang sir Magaling. hehehe

My reply:

The word "hilacha" literally means "thread" in English or "sinulid" in Tagalog. The term "las hilachas" suggests "threadbare" clothing. Thus, the use of the word "hilacha" in the context of showing a person's true colors is uniquely Filipino.

The term "echa fuera" means to "cast out" or to "drive out". This term is no longer commonly used in Spain except in old sayings like "zorro en zorrera el humo lo echa fuera". In English, this translates to "when the fox hides in the hole, the smoke drives the fox out of it". Again, the Filipino usage of the term "echa fuera" in the context of being "taken out of the picture" is different from Spanish.

Some obscure words and phrases from the folk song "Sitsiritsit Alibangbang" which we were required to learn in grade school.

1. papagapagaspas - Fluttering or fluctuating flight

2. isang bara ang tapis - the wrap-around skirt is the size of a blanket.

(A "bara" is an old Tagalog unit of measurement for fabric. When we say "isang bara" that means the cloth is the size of one blanket. A "tapis" is a wrap-around skirt.)

3. isang dangkal ang manggas - The sleeves are as wide as one hand.

(A "dankal" is an old Pinoy unit of distance measurement. It is the distance between the tips of the thumb and the little finger of the stretched hand. "Manggas" are the sleeves.)

4. sayang de kola - The skirt has a corrugated or pleated hemline.

("Saya" is Tagalog skirt. "Kola" is an old Tagalog term referring to the wide corrugated hemline of the traditional saya. Note that in the days when clothes were left in a "kulahan" after washing, the kulahans were typically made of corrugated galvanized iron sheets)

5. isang piyesa ang sayad - The drop is one foot long

(A "piyesa" or "piye" is an old Tagalog unit of measurement. It is the distance of one foot. "Sayad" means "touch" suggesting that the saya touches the ground by a foot)

6. payneta - A comb

7. nagwas de-ohetes - Underskirt with eyelets.

The "nagwas" is part of the underskirt worn in old Pinoy times. "Ojetes" is the Spanish word for "eyelets" embroidered into clothing such as camisons or even the barong.

8. pakendeng-kendeng – Swaying

Let me point out that the Spanish-originated words in the Pinoy vocabulary are circa-1800s. Since then, some of the terms we have picked up from Spain have evolved. And so has the Spanish language spoken in Spain. Our Spanish and theirs have evolved separately. Many, they have since dropped from everyday usage altogether.

kasilyas - kubeta

These are just some of the classic examples.

"Casillas" in Spanish, means "mailbox" or "pigeonhole". "Cubeta" means "bucket". Actually, "cubeta" is seldom used anymore in everyday conversations and is considered archaic Spanish although there are expressions like "sentí como si me echaran una cubeta de agua fría" which translates as: "I felt like I was doused with a bucket of cold water".

In the Castillan regions of Spain (including Madrid) where Castillan Spanish is spoken, the word "aseos" is used to connote "toilet". In the Basque regions or where Catalan Spanish is spoken (like Barcelona), the word "lavabos" is used.

Edited by Magaling
Guest megalodon

Back to my childhood. This was the decade of Mekanda, Daimos, Mazinger-Z, Grendaizer and Voltes V. Sa Daimos si Richard, sa Mazinger-Z si Koji Kabuto. I can't exactly remember the one who controlled Mekanda and Grendaizer. The Voltes team are household names. Wala pang traffic nun and malls were virtually non-existent. Quad, Greenhills and Ali Mall lang yata nun. The famous TV shows then were Charlie's Angels, Loveboat, Combat, Eight is Enough, Little House on a Prairie, etc. Life was simpler then and things were cheap. Those were the days. :rolleyes:

Edited by megalodon
Let me point out that the Spanish-originated words in the Pinoy vocabulary are circa-1800s. Since then, some of the terms we have picked up from Spain have evolved. And so has the Spanish language spoken in Spain. Our Spanish and theirs have evolved separately. Many, they have since dropped from everyday usage altogether.

These are just some of the classic examples.

"Casillas" in Spanish, means "mailbox" or "pigeonhole". "Cubeta" means "bucket". Actually, "cubeta" is seldom used anymore in everyday conversations and is considered archaic Spanish although there are expressions like "sentí como si me echaran una cubeta de agua fría" which translates as: "I felt like I was doused with a bucket of cold water".

In the Castillan regions of Spain (including Madrid) where Castillan Spanish is spoken, the word "aseos" is used to connote "toilet". In the Basque regions or where Catalan Spanish is spoken (like Barcelona), the word "lavabos" is used.

Ayus ito señor magaling. :thumbsupsmiley: Another term I know is inodoro for toilet bowl. Lababo for sink but if you used lababuhin - ibang usapan na yan. Hehehe. :goatee:

So in relation to lababuhin, there's brochahin (brush it) and chupain (suck it) which used to be non bastos in spanish but naging sexual sa Pinoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Found some old favorite LPs again: Queen's Night at the Opera (with Bohemian Rhapsody and Love of my Life) and Hot Spaces (with Under Pressure), Barry White's Rhapsody in White, George Gerswhin's double disc LP (with Rhapsody in Blue and Summertime), The Sound of Music with Julie Andrews, Duran Duran (with Pale Shelter...), Ritchie Family's Arabian Nights, Nat King Cole's Love is the Thing (with Stardust and When I Fall in Love) and the Jones Girls plus a Spanish album with a Picasso drawing on the cover

• 2 weeks later...

Will be playing a large private gig this post-Christmas. The theme is mostly 70s complete with attire. As it is, the band has been rehearsing so many songs now--will just select the final cut a few days right before the gig.

Its been a blast playing these old 70's song again. I played them before back in my high school band during jams whenever there were girls around. It was thoroughly enjoyable re-learning the grooves.

The thing is I have always been a rocker and a true child of the blues at heart -- so I tend to gravitate towards classic rock and blues. However, it can't be denied that I do have so many fond memories of being close to a girl simply because of dancing the Swing to these songs. Gotta admit it, girls tend to like guys who can dance the swing-- so no choice but to learn it.

Favorites that we play are You're All I have, Ain't Nothin Gonna Keep Me Away From you, Machine Gun, The Bump, Never Gonna Say Goodbye, Souvenirs ! We do those songs complete with extended instrumental portions just like the records!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GSmwGe8t1I

Heheh! I'm not very good anymore with dancing the swing now since its been ages since I did it. Anybody here available to teach?

:thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by 16track
Will be playing a large private gig this post-Christmas. The theme is mostly 70s complete with attire. As it is, the band has been rehearsing so many songs now--will just select the final cut a few days right before the gig.

Its been a blast playing these old 70's song again. I played them before back in my high school band during jams whenever there were girls around. It was thoroughly enjoyable re-learning the grooves.

The thing is I have always been a rocker and a true child of the blues at heart -- so I tend to gravitate towards classic rock and blues. However, it can't be denied that I do have so many fond memories of being close to a girl simply because of dancing the Swing to these songs. Gotta admit it, girls tend to like guys who can dance the swing-- so no choice but to learn it.

Favorites that we play are You're All I have, Ain't Nothin Gonna Keep Me Away From you, Machine Gun, The Bump, Never Gonna Say Goodbye, Souvenirs ! We do those songs complete with extended instrumental portions just like the records!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GSmwGe8t1I

Heheh! I'm not very good anymore with dancing the swing now since its been ages since I did it. Anybody here available to teach?

:thumbsupsmiley:

Mukhang masaya pre!

Yun pala ang sikreto. Kaya pala girls like me. All the while I thought kasi pogi ako. Hehehe :lol: